Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is Nowroz Purely Cultural Or Linked To Shia Islam?

Rate this topic

Salam

My family confuses this Nowroz cultural ceremony with Shia Islam..... Why??? It's got nothing to do with Islam..

I was just told that we have to recite Quran and Duas on this "auspicious" day :-/

Will someone please dispel my confusion? Has Nowroz got Anything to do with Islam?

On a lighter note... Happy Nowroz ! :)

• Advanced Member

He goes on to state that, “The Late Allamah Majlisi writes in Zad al-Ma‘aad that, “From a reliable chain of narrators from Mu‘alla ibne Janis it has been narrated that on the day of Nowrooz, he was blessed to be in the presence of Imam as-Sadiq (as). The Imam asked, “Do you know the status of this day?” Mu‘alla replied, “May I be sacrificed for your sake! This is the day which the Iranians took as a great day. On this day, they send gifts to one another.” The Imam replied, “The act of holding this day in esteem and greatness is due to certain historical events which took place which I will now explain to you.” The Imam then mentioned the following events: Nowrooz is the day when Allah, the High, took the promise from the souls of all human beings (before their creation) to His oneness, that they would not associate partners with Him and that they would accept and believe in His Prophets and Imams; this is also the day when the flood during the time of Prophet Nuh (as) subsided and the ark rested on the mountain of Joodi; Nowrooz is also the day when the Messenger of Allah destroyed the idols of the polytheists of the Quraish in the city of Makkah. This was also the day that Prophet Ibrahim destroyed the idols; also the day when the Messenger of Allah ordered his companions to pledge allegiance to Ali as the Commander of the Faithful (this is in reference to the Day of Ghadeer which took place on the Eid-e-Nowrooz); it is also the day when the Qa’im from Aale Muhammad (the 12th Imam) will make his advent…”

http://www.duas.org/nawroz.htm#Celebrating_Nowrooz,'>http://www.duas.org/nawroz.htm#Celebrating_Nowrooz,

Aamal and duas : http://www.duas.org/nawroz.htm

Nowruz has been celebrated for over 2000 years. Thus, long before Islam. So basically they have nothing to do with Islam. But after Islam came to Iran, we can then say nowrouz has been "Islamized". Example, most Iranians in have the holy Quran in the haft seen. Alcohol has also been removed from the "Haft seen"

Haftseen (Persian: "Haftseen/Haftsā") or the seven 'S's is a traditional table setting of Nowruz, the traditional Iranian spring celebration. Today the haft seen table includes seven specific items, all starting with the seen (Sā) in the Persian alphabet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haft-Sin

Edited by Nima

• Advanced Member

Novruuz was Celebrated Much Before the Advent of Islam In Most of the Central Asian Countries.

Some Tribes presented Prophet Muhammad(SAWAW) Sweets on this day & he replied "Surely Almighty Allah revived the dead and ordered the Clouds to Rain.

Salam

My family confuses this Nowroz cultural ceremony with Shia Islam..... Why??? It's got nothing to do with Islam..

I was just told that we have to recite Quran and Duas on this "auspicious" day :-/

Will someone please dispel my confusion? Has Nowroz got Anything to do with Islam?

What is Wrong in Celebrating a Day that Marks Resurrection. What is Wrong in Celebrating a Day when Mecca was Conquered, What is Wrong in Celebrating a Day that Marks Begining of Caliphate of Imam Ali Iben Abu talib(as).....& after all Everyone should be proud of his Culture if it is within Islamic values.

I dont see how its purely cultural...its celebrated in Pakistan as well....not as a cultural thing but as a religious festival. There are duas to be recited at the time of Thaveel-e Aftab...nazr of Imam Ali(a.s) given on food and some specific prayers said after Zuhrain. These prayers are also mentioned in Mafatih...so if its a cultural thing i dont understand how it would be in a book of duas.

• Advanced Member

Salam

Nowrooz is 3000 years old festival and it has nothing to do with Islam, it is only cultural. It is celebrated in Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan (others I don't remember).

Edited by Ghorids

He goes on to state that, “The Late Allamah Majlisi writes in Zad al-Ma‘aad that, “From a reliable chain of narrators from Mu‘alla ibne Janis it has been narrated that on the day of Nowrooz, he was blessed to be in the presence of Imam as-Sadiq (as). The Imam asked, “Do you know the status of this day?” Mu‘alla replied, “May I be sacrificed for your sake! This is the day which the Iranians took as a great day. On this day, they send gifts to one another.” The Imam replied, “The act of holding this day in esteem and greatness is due to certain historical events which took place which I will now explain to you.” The Imam then mentioned the following events: Nowrooz is the day when Allah, the High, took the promise from the souls of all human beings (before their creation) to His oneness, that they would not associate partners with Him and that they would accept and believe in His Prophets and Imams; this is also the day when the flood during the time of Prophet Nuh (as) subsided and the ark rested on the mountain of Joodi; Nowrooz is also the day when the Messenger of Allah destroyed the idols of the polytheists of the Quraish in the city of Makkah. This was also the day that Prophet Ibrahim destroyed the idols; also the day when the Messenger of Allah ordered his companions to pledge allegiance to Ali as the Commander of the Faithful (this is in reference to the Day of Ghadeer which took place on the Eid-e-Nowrooz); it is also the day when the Qa’im from Aale Muhammad (the 12th Imam) will make his advent…”http://www.duas.org/nawroz.htm#Celebrating_Nowrooz,Aamal'>http://www.duas.org/nawroz.htm#Celebrating_Nowrooz,Aamal and duas : http://www.duas.org/nawroz.htm

Novruuz was Celebrated Much Before the Advent of Islam In Most of the Central Asian Countries.Some Tribes presented Prophet Muhammad(SAWAW) Sweets on this day & he replied "Surely Almighty Allah revived the dead and ordered the Clouds to Rain.What is Wrong in Celebrating a Day that Marks Resurrection. What is Wrong in Celebrating a Day when Mecca was Conquered, What is Wrong in Celebrating a Day that Marks Begining of Caliphate of Imam Ali Iben Abu talib(as).....& after all Everyone should be proud of his Culture if it is within Islamic values.

oh my, When will people stop innovating in the religion?

Listen, The Prophet had already set out for us exactly what festivals would give us any benefit in the here-after. They are called Eid Al-Adah and Eid Al-Fitir.

Those are the (only) two festivals that the Prophet celebrated annually and consistently. Those are the only two festivals that he told people to participle in.

As for Nowruz, Did the prophet celebrate Nowruz? No

Did he tell others to celebrate Nowruz? No

Is Nowruz in the Quran? No

Therefore (in and of itself) it is NOT a celebration that holds any benefit (or harm-if not done against Islamic norms) for the hereafter. You will not be rewarded for 'celebrating' it or punished for not 'celebrating' it, but you will get rewarded or punished for the actions you commit on that day. However it is the opposite with the two Eids I mentioned. They are prescribed and enriched as firmly part of the Sunnah of the Prophet and the Religion of Islam. Every able Muslim should be celebrating them because you get a punishment for not 'celebrating' them (without just cause of course) and a reward for 'celebrating' them, ontop of the rewards/punishments you get for the actions you commit that day. In essence, the day alone, in and of itself is blessed.

Nowruz may well be "Islamized" which is good, and if you want/have to celebrate it, I would say go ahead (as long as it does not conflict with any Islamic regulations) but don't connect it to the religion in the sense of claiming it has religious significance because it is not and does not. Yes, you may read Qur'an or do other good deeds on that day. That is perfectly alright, is actually encouraged and inshAllah you'll get rewarded for your efforts. However, saying that this celebration has a theological base in and of itself to be celebrated (like the two Eids) is false.

Trying to propagate this festival as in and of itself as somehow related to the religion is only opening a door of Bid'ah. If you have to, celebrate it and celebrate it to Islamic expectations and do positive/good things/deeds on that day. However, the fact of the matter is the Prophet himself did not celebrate it, and if it brought us any benefit or had anything note worthy to be celebrated on that day(s), the Prophet would have celebrated it.

Saying otherwise is false and only opens the door to Bid'ah.

Edited by Glow

• Advanced Member

Listen, The Prophet had already set out for us exactly what festivals would give us any benefit in the here-after. They are called Eid Al-Adah and Eid Al-Fitir.

Those are the (only) two festivals that the Prophet celebrated annually and consistently. Those are the only two festivals that he told people to participle in.

Therefore (in and of itself) it is NOT a celebration that holds any benefit (or harm-if not done against Islamic norms) for the hereafter. You will not be rewarded for 'celebrating' it or punished for not 'celebrating' it, but you will get rewarded or punished for the actions you commit on that day. However it is the opposite with the two Eids I mentioned. They are prescribed and enriched as firmly part of the Sunnah of the Prophet and the Religion of Islam. Every able Muslim should be celebrating them because you get a punishment for not 'celebrating' them (without just cause of course) and a reward for 'celebrating' them, ontop of the rewards/punishments you get for the actions you commit that day. In essence, the day alone, in and of itself is blessed.

Nowruz may well be "Islamized" which is good, and if you want/have to celebrate it, I would say go ahead (as long as it does not conflict with any Islamic regulations) but don't connect it to the religion in the sense of claiming it has religious significance because it is not and does not. Yes, you may read Qur'an or do other good deeds on that day. That is perfectly alright, is actually encouraged and inshAllah you'll get rewarded for your efforts. However, saying that this celebration has a theological base in and of itself to be celebrated (like the two Eids) is false.

Trying to propagate this festival as in and of itself as somehow related to the religion is only opening a door of Bid'ah. If you have to, celebrate it and celebrate it to Islamic expectations and do positive/good things/deeds on that day. However, the fact of the matter is the Prophet himself did not celebrate it, and if it brought us any benefit or had anything note worthy to be celebrated on that day(s), the Prophet would have celebrated it.

So by your definition Eid Al Ghadeer is biddah too?

Shias in the Sub-continent celebrate nawrouz as a religious day, there are special duas recited on the day of Nawrouz. Iranis may have a totally different reason to celebrate nawrouz.

This is exactly what I mean when I said "Trying to propagate this festival as in and of itself somehow related to the religion is only opening a door of Bid'ah."

Here we have a live example of it.

Bid'ah's starts very small....but what is a mountain except for a collection of pebbles?

Edited by Glow

I had thought it was a zorostrian holiday, but clearly some claim it's relation to Islam... hmmm :/

And those that do claim it has any relation in and of itself to Islam or is blessed are either misguided, not knowledgeable on the issue or are opening the door to Bid'ah.

Nowroz right now has been 'Islamizsed', and if you commit good deeds on that day, then InshAllah you'll be rewarded for them. But there is nothing special about the day in and of itself.

Right now, it is nothing but a cultural vehicle where in between people do good deeds, read Qur'an etc etc. Thats all well and good and like I said InshAllah they will be rewarded for there efforts but it is nothing more then that, a cultural vehicle to commit good deeds.

And just because something becomes a vehicle to commit good deeds does not make the vehicle in and of itself blessed.

Edited by Glow

And we must remember

Who's Sunnah do we Follow?

Is It Mullanna this or Mullah that or Shiek so and so?

No it is the Sunnah of the Last and Final Messenger, Prophet Mohamed (pbuh)

And do we deny that the Prophet was the best of creation and everything we needed to know about this religion was revealed and taught by him?

Now that we have established those facts....

The Prophet never celebrated Norowz nor did he order his followers to celebrate it.

So either MashAllah you 'found out' something of significance the Prophet (pbuh) did not know about OR You are wrong.

It's really that simple. You don't need to unnecessarily over complicate relatively simple matters.

Let us follow the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet, not the Sunnah of our whims and desires and then try to justify doing so.

Edited by Glow

^Oh please. the Prophet never appointed Abu Bakr as his successor either. Or desired dynasties of kings to rule the Islamic nation. But you have to believe that to be "Islam-Sunni" right?

And by the way, the Prophet never used the internet or instructed his followers either, so I guess it is not sunnah. A bidah? Haram?

If Nowruz was pagan or dangerous, Emam Khomenei RA would have banned it. He did not. Meaning it's an acceptable form of cultural expression.

News flash, Islam allows cultural expression, as long as the culture does not conflict with Islamic principles. Name for me one aspect of proper Nowruz as it is celebrated in Iran that conflicts with Islam. Explain why Rahbar has a Nowruz message. And if you try to say they are not following Islam, then save those words in the next life.

Peace!

Edited by comrade khodadad

^Oh please. the Prophet never appointed Abu Bakr as his successor either. Or desired dynasties of kings to rule the Islamic nation. But you have to believe that to be "Islam-Sunni" right?

And by the way, the Prophet never used the internet or instructed his followers either, so I guess it is not sunnah. A bidah? Haram?

If Nowruz was pagan or dangerous, Emam Khomenei RA would have banned it. He did not. Meaning it's an acceptable form of cultural expression.

News flash, Islam allows cultural expression, as long as the culture does not conflict with Islamic principles. Name for me one aspect of proper Nowruz as it is celebrated in Iran that conflicts with Islam. Explain why Rahbar has a Nowruz message. And if you try to say they are not following Islam, then save those words in the next life.

Peace!

Hahahah Well, Obviously we have a combination of problem with you.

You are most not knowledgeable enough on the Issue along with Cynical and Not reading.

First of: Even though I have immense respect for Ayatollah Khomenei and support Ayatollah Khamenei along with the IRI immensely (if you just do a quick search on the Iran board, you'd see what I mean) However, the fact is that neither of them are infallible.

As for the Prophet not appointing Abu-Bakr (as) that is not what the thread is about so please stay on track. Same goes for the 'dynasties or kings ruling the Islamic nations'. Also, I sense that you are trying to create/further this issue into something bigger then it is with that comment but I will not go further.

As for the "Prophet never used Internet"...the Internet is Bid'ah-tul-dunya. There is no problem with that and in fact the Islamic empire were one of the biggest practices of Bid'ah-tul-dunya, especially during the golden age. Islam enocurges you not to shy away from Bid'ah-tul-Dunya at all. What the Problem is, is when people start doing Bid'ah-tul-deen. I hate it and am still surprised when people bring up this age old silly point.

As for this part

"News flash, Islam allows cultural expression, as long as the culture does not conflict with Islamic principles. Name for me one aspect of proper Nowruz as it is celebrated in Iran that conflicts with Islam. Explain why Rahbar has a Nowruz message. And if you try to say they are not following Islam, then save those words in the next life."

If you read my previous posts before commenting, you would have not posted that part.

.......You will not be rewarded for 'celebrating' it or punished for not 'celebrating' it, but you will get rewarded or punished for the actions you commit on that day. However it is the opposite with the two Eids I mentioned. They are prescribed and enriched as firmly part of the Sunnah of the Prophet and the Religion of Islam. Every able Muslim should be celebrating them because you get a punishment for not 'celebrating' them (without just cause of course) and a reward for 'celebrating' them, ontop of the rewards/punishments you get for the actions you commit that day. In essence, the day alone, in and of itself is blessed. Nowruz may well be "Islamized" which is good, and if you want/have to celebrate it, I would say go ahead (as long as it does not conflict with any Islamic regulations) but don't connect it to the religion in the sense of claiming it has religious significance because it is not and does not. Yes, you may read Qur'an or do other good deeds on that day. That is perfectly alright, is actually encouraged and inshAllah you'll get rewarded for your efforts. However, saying that this celebration has a theological base in and of itself to be celebrated (like the two Eids) is false. Trying to propagate this festival as in and of itself as somehow related to the religion is only opening a door of Bid'ah. If you have to, celebrate it and celebrate it to Islamic expectations and do positive/good things/deeds on that day. However, the fact of the matter is the Prophet himself did not celebrate it, and if it brought us any benefit or had anything note worthy to be celebrated on that day(s), the Prophet would have celebrated it.Saying otherwise is false and only opens the door to Bid'ah......

And those that do claim it has any relation in and of itself to Islam or is blessed are either misguided, not knowledgeable on the issue or are opening the door to Bid'ah. Nowroz right now has been 'Islamizsed', and if you commit good deeds on that day, then InshAllah you'll be rewarded for them. But there is nothing special about the day in and of itself.Right now, it is nothing but a cultural vehicle where in between people do good deeds, read Qur'an etc etc. Thats all well and good and like I said InshAllah they will be rewarded for there efforts but it is nothing more then that, a cultural vehicle to commit good deeds. And just because something becomes a vehicle to commit good deeds does not make the vehicle in and of itself blessed.

I hope this clears up any problems.

Edited by Glow

• Advanced Member

WHERE DID I MENTION THAT PROPHET(SAWW) CELEBRATED NOVROOZ, THE TRIBES PRESENTED HIM WITH SWEETS & GIFTS HE ACCEPTED IT & DIDN'T SAID THIS IS BIDAH, WHY BIDAH AND PEPPER FALLS ON YOUR TOUNGE, WE CAN CELEBRATE EVERY JOYFUL MOVEMENT BUT THE CELEBRATIONS SHOULD BE WITHIN ISLAMIC LIMITS......

IF IMAM JAFFER SADIQ(AS) HAS ENLIGHTED US ABOUT THE HAPPENINGS ON THIS DAY WHY ARE YOU REJECTING HIS SAYINGS....

Edited by shahid123

I hope this clears up any problems.

Looks like you are doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do: making things more complicated than they really are.

There's a spiritual and theological principle behind the physical, the mundane, and the worldly. It's called living real life. ANY action of real life within Islamic standards is worship. That's why life itself is a blessing. Living an honest living is in itself a superior form of worship.

Islam is a complete way of life. Therefore all aspects of life are "theological". Holidays included.

As for this....

WHERE DID I MENTION THAT PROPHET(SAWW) CELEBRATED NOVROOZ, THE TRIBES PRESENTED HIM WITH SWEETS & GIFTS HE ACCEPTED IT & DIDN'T SAID THIS IS BIDAH, WHY BIDAH AND PEPPER FALLS ON YOUR TOUNGE, WE CAN CELEBRATE EVERY JOYFUL MOVEMENT BUT THE CELEBRATIONS SHOULD BE WITHIN ISLAMIC LIMITS......IF IMAM JAFFER SADIQ(AS) HAS ENLIGHTED US ABOUT THE HAPPENINGS ON THIS DAY WHY ARE YOU REJECTING HIS SAYINGS....

Read....

oh my, When will people stop innovating in the religion?Listen, The Prophet had already set out for us exactly what festivals would give us any benefit in the here-after. They are called Eid Al-Adah and Eid Al-Fitir.Those are the (only) two festivals that the Prophet celebrated annually and consistently. Those are the only two festivals that he told people to participle in. As for Nowruz, Did the prophet celebrate Nowruz? NoDid he tell others to celebrate Nowruz? NoIs Nowruz in the Quran? NoTherefore (in and of itself) it is NOT a celebration that holds any benefit (or harm-if not done against Islamic norms) for the hereafter. You will not be rewarded for 'celebrating' it or punished for not 'celebrating' it, but you will get rewarded or punished for the actions you commit on that day. However it is the opposite with the two Eids I mentioned. They are prescribed and enriched as firmly part of the Sunnah of the Prophet and the Religion of Islam. Every able Muslim should be celebrating them because you get a punishment for not 'celebrating' them (without just cause of course) and a reward for 'celebrating' them, ontop of the rewards/punishments you get for the actions you commit that day. In essence, the day alone, in and of itself is blessed. Nowruz may well be "Islamized" which is good, and if you want/have to celebrate it, I would say go ahead (as long as it does not conflict with any Islamic regulations) but don't connect it to the religion in the sense of claiming it has religious significance because it is not and does not. Yes, you may read Qur'an or do other good deeds on that day. That is perfectly alright, is actually encouraged and inshAllah you'll get rewarded for your efforts. However, saying that this celebration has a theological base in and of itself to be celebrated (like the two Eids) is false. Trying to propagate this festival as in and of itself as somehow related to the religion is only opening a door of Bid'ah. If you have to, celebrate it and celebrate it to Islamic expectations and do positive/good things/deeds on that day. However, the fact of the matter is the Prophet himself did not celebrate it, and if it brought us any benefit or had anything note worthy to be celebrated on that day(s), the Prophet would have celebrated it.Saying otherwise is false and only opens the door to Bid'ah.

This is exactly what I mean when I said "Trying to propagate this festival as in and of itself somehow related to the religion is only opening a door of Bid'ah." Here we have a live example of it.Bid'ah's starts very small....but what is a mountain except for a collection of pebbles?

And those that do claim it has any relation in and of itself to Islam or is blessed are either misguided, not knowledgeable on the issue or are opening the door to Bid'ah. Nowroz right now has been 'Islamizsed', and if you commit good deeds on that day, then InshAllah you'll be rewarded for them. But there is nothing special about the day in and of itself.Right now, it is nothing but a cultural vehicle where in between people do good deeds, read Qur'an etc etc. Thats all well and good and like I said InshAllah they will be rewarded for there efforts but it is nothing more then that, a cultural vehicle to commit good deeds. And just because something becomes a vehicle to commit good deeds does not make the vehicle in and of itself blessed.

And we must rememberWho's Sunnah do we Follow? Is It Mullanna this or Mullah that or Shiek so and so? No it is the Sunnah of the Last and Final Messenger, Prophet Mohamed (pbuh) And do we deny that the Prophet was the best of creation and everything we needed to know about this religion was revealed and taught by him?Now that we have established those facts....The Prophet never celebrated Norowz nor did he order his followers to celebrate it. So either MashAllah you 'found out' something of significance the Prophet (pbuh) did not know about OR You are wrong. It's really that simple. You don't need to unnecessarily over complicate relatively simple matters.Let us follow the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet, not the Sunnah of our whims and desires and then try to justify doing so.

Every point you made in your little All-caps tirade has been addressed.

Also, next time, please don't type in all caps, especially when the situation does not require for it to be done. There are certain times and things that need to be said when typing in all caps are/is necessary, and other times when they are just a plain hindrance to someone taking you seriously. This time is of the latter. Also, when you type in all caps during the wrong time/situation, It lowers the quality of your post, if only aesthetically.

Looks like you are doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do: making things more complicated than they really are.

There's a spiritual and theological principle behind the physical, the mundane, and the worldly. It's called living real life. ANY action of real life within Islamic standards is worship. That's why life itself is a blessing. Living an honest living is in itself a superior form of worship.

Islam is a complete way of life. Therefore all aspects of life are "theological". Holidays included.

I dont understand what you mean?

How am I the one over complicating things?

I already told you that if you do acts that are recommend in Islam like Reading the Qur'an and giving charity or visiting family then inshAllah you will be rewarded for that.

But the fact of the matter is that Norowz has no significance in the Religion of Islam. None what so ever. Even if 'special' things did happen or were going to happen on that day, the Prophet never ordered us to celebrate it, and if HE never ordered us to celebrate it then it is not part of the religion

I think Now you are just being silly and trying to Islamically justify something which has no inherit Islamic justification other then the actions you commit on such a day.

Norowz is cultural, if it was not, the Prophet would have ordered the Ummah to celebrate it.

If you want to celebrate something cultural, its fine as-long as you don't take the celebration past the limits that Islam has set

But just because you celebrate it and do not take the limits past what Islam has set does not make it an 'blessed'' holiday.

The Method I set as a precedent was clear, but let me make it even clearer

If the Prophet did not do it (deen wise) then we don't do it (or *in some cases* need to do it but still can)

If the Prophet did it (deen wise) then we do it

If we do our own thing/celebration/cultural celebration and want to do Islamic things on them, then inshAllah we will get rewarded for doing those actions that Allah(Swt) is pleased with. However, just because of that, it does not make our own celebrations part of the deen.

I dont know how much simpler it can get then that. Following the Sunnah of the Prophet is the only guaranteed way to get into paradise. This is not a 'opinion' this is a fact.

Propagating otherwise only opens the door to Bid'ah.

Edited by Glow

They are called Eid Al-Adah and Eid Al-Fitir.Those are the (only) two festivals that the Prophet celebrated annually and consistently. Those are the only two festivals that he told people to participle in.

salam.gif bro/sis,

I think all your posts have been lacking in any solid proof or some Ahdis that would explain your stance as compared to the others who have offered narrations. Since you seem to have sunni set as your religion your source of knowledge would come from different sources. Therefore unless you agree to the narrations and recommendations by shia sources(which you seem to keep on ignoring) this would be an unending and futile debate!

salam.gif bro/sis,

I think all your posts have been lacking in any solid proof or some Ahdis that would explain your stance as compared to the others who have offered narrations. Since you seem to have sunni set as your religion your source of knowledge would come from different sources. Therefore unless you agree to the narrations and recommendations by shia sources(which you seem to keep on ignoring) this would be an unending and futile debate!

I was just about to do that (seeing as how people refuse to admit there traditions, although may be good and help them to become 'better' Muslims is not part of the deen) and then I saw your post. How coincidental.

Anyways, lets go back to the basics, because, when reading over this thread, I feel like people are getting wayy over there heads with teh amount of knowledge they believe they possess.

So...basically lets start of with the most important point that we all have in common and can always reference everything against.

Did the Prophet ever Celebrate Norowz?

Did he ever order the Celebration of Norowz?

Did the Qur'an order the celebration of Norowz?

The Answer to all these three questions is no, and that effectively rules out as it being Part of the Religion (ordering by the Qur'an/Allah(swt)) or the Sunnah of the Holy prophet (not ever celebrating it or ordering it's celebration)

So if it''s not part of the Religion to celebrate it or not Part of the Sunnah to celebrate it, then where do you get the right to call it an 'Islamic-in the sense that in and of itself the festival is blessed" celebration.

The only answer to this is from no-where, and thus you imported it either from your culture or from pre-Islamic traditions or this came from your own whims/desire/mind and then you try to give the meaning of the celebration some Islamic justification in and of itself and include it in the deen.

And what is that called? "BID'AH"

And what did the Prophet say about adding or subtracting anything from the religion...otherwise known as BID'AH?

"And every bid'ah (tul deen) is a misguidance and every misguidance is in the Fire."

I hope this explains it. I tried to use the best source and the most straightforward logic to make it as easy as possible to understand

Edited by Glow

• Advanced Member

Salam

Happy Nowroz!

It's both cultural for Irani, for all of us is religious as well. Nowroz happens on 18th Zilhajj month also as per Tohfatul Awam and there are lot of amaal for that day including fasting.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

As for the Prophet not appointing Abu-Bakr (as) that is not what the thread is about so please stay on track.

And when did abu-bakr the usurper become (as) ?

Really wonder at you peoples brilliance!

You are so clever to avoid questions on Eid Ghadeer and the real sunnah of Prophet (saw), and beat drums on the false hadiths attributed to the Prophet (saw). Which gives you no moral ground on telling us what is bidah and what is not

(wasalam)

(salam)

You are so clever to avoid questions on Eid Ghadeer and the real sunnah of Prophet (saw), and beat drums on the false hadiths attributed to the Prophet (saw). Which gives you no moral ground on telling us what is bidah and what is not

(wasalam)

Hahahah I am telling you dont bow your head to an idol aswell.

But hey, go do it anyways. Apparently all I do is avoid the questions and the real sunnah of the Prophet and beat the drums of false hadiths attributed to the Propher which gives me no moral ground to tell you what is Bid'Ah!

Plus, its coming from a Sunni, and you liek HAVE TO do the opposite of ANYTHING that is comming from a Sunni. God forbid you actually agreed! :lol:

Edited by Glow

• Veteran Member

(salam)

(wasalam)

(bismillah)

(wasalam)

Be nice, Bro/Sis. Good akhlaaq is the best way to invite to the way of Ahlulbayt (as). Da'wah efforts.

...And the this saying defiantly holds true when looking through this thread....

And what is a mountain except for a collection of pebbles

I am beginning to see exactly why some people are so obsessed with stopping Bid'ah. Why some people say that it is even haraam to give any special attention (celebrate) to such days, for the fear that it will eventually become Bid'ah.... It starts of extremely small, and before you know it, people begin including it in the deen.

Here is my absolute favorite hadith about Bid'ah...and Ironically it correlates with my saying!

We used to sit in front of Abdullah ibn Masoud's house before the Fajr prayer

waiting to go with him to the Masjid. Abou Mousa al-Ash..aarie came and

asked us:

'Did Abu Abdurrahman (i.e. Ibn Masoud) leave yet?'

We answered: 'No.'

So Abou Mousa Al-Ash'aarie sat with us waiting for him. When he came out, we all stood up. Abou Mousa told him:

"Oh, Abu Abdurrahman! I recently saw something in the Masjid which I did not approve."

Ibn Masoud then asked: "What was it?"

Abou Mousa said: "You will see it if you stay alive..In the Masjid, I saw a group

of people sitting in circles waiting for the Salat. Each circle is led

by a person. And every person in these circles carries small stones.

The leader of a circle would say: 'Say 'Allah-u Akbar' a hundred times,' they will

say Allah-u Akbar a hundred times; then he says 'Say 'La ilaha Illa

Allah', a hundred times" they will say La ilaha ill Allah a hundred times; he they says:

'Say 'Subhan Allah', a hundred times, they will say Subhana Allah a

hundred times.

Then Ibn Masoud said: "What did you tell them?"

He said: 'I didn't say anything, I wanted to wait for your opinion."

Abdullah ibn Masoud said: "Could you not order them to count their sins, and assured them of getting their rewards."

Then Abdulah ibn Masoud went ahead and we accompanied him. As he approached

one of the circles, he said: "What is this that you are doing?"

They said: "Oh! Abu Abdurrahman, these are pebbles to count the number of times we

say Allah-u Akbar, La ilaha Ill Allah, and Subhana Allah."

He said: "Count your own sins, and I assure you that you are not going to lose

anything of your rewards (Hasanat).. Woe unto you, people of Muhammad,

how fast you will be doomed. Those are your Prophet's companions available,

these are his clothes not worn out yet, and his pots are not broken

yet. I swear by Whom my soul is in His Hands that you are either following a religion that is

better than the Prophet's religion or you are opening a door of

aberration."

They said: "We swear by Allah, oh, Abu Abdurrahman, that we had no intention other than doing good deeds."

He said: "So what? How many people wanted to do good deeds but never got to do

them? The Prophet of Allah has told us about people who recited the

Qur'an with no effect on them other than the Qur'an passing through their

throats. I swear by Allah, I am almost sure that most of you are from

that type of people."

Then he left them.

Amr Ibn Salamah said: "We saw most of the people of those circles fighting us with the Khawarij in the battle of An-Nahrawan.."

- Related by Ad-Daremie and Abu Na'eim with an authentic chain.

Edited by Glow

Did the Prophet ever Celebrate Norowz?

Did he ever order the Celebration of Norowz?

Did the Qur'an order the celebration of Norowz?

There are many things that are not mentioned in the Quran...so would you say that all those things are invalid as well...?!

As for the Holy Prophet(pbuh) not celebrating it...he might have...do you have proof that he did not? maybe our limited knowledge is the problem here...no? or are you sure you have researched this topic extensively and then reached this conclusion?

Once again i would point out at the fact that traditions from Imam(a.s) have been mentioned on the day of nowroz...so thats proof enough of its celebration and importance.

I found this...not sure about the authenticity but it just shows that our own knowledge is lacking and not the other way around:

Abdul Samad ibn Ali in a tradition narrates that during Nowruz, a silver plate of ‘halvah’ sweets was offered to the holy Prophet Muhammad (S). The prophet asked to which tribe it belonged and what was the occasion? “This is a gift from Persia marking Nowruz, the greatest Iranian festival.” The prophet replied: “Yes, Almighty Allah revived the dead and ordered the clouds to rain. Here, sprinkling of water became a custom this day.” The Prophet of Islam then ate the halvah sharing it with his companion.

Nowruz and Islamic traditions

Edited by farwa

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

Brother Glow, the point is, we can establish a practice that has Islamic merit and practice it. It only become a bidd'ah if a person says it is Sunnah or wajib or whatever. To say it is haram would be a bidd'ah because there is no shar`i ruling on it in the first place. If its a good practice that has some Sunnahs with in it, that's good. Keep going. But you cannot say the practice in itself is a Sunnah or something the Prophet (pbuh) taught.

For nowruz specifically, we do have narrations that talk about it. So, khalaas.

(salam)