Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

No Fly Zone Over Libya

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member
UNITED NATIONS – The U.N. Security Council on Thursday approved a no-fly zone over Libya and authorized "all necessary measures" to protect civilians from attacks by Moammar Gadhafi's forces.

The action came as the Libyan leader was poised to make a final push against rebels holding out in Bengazhi, Libya's second largest city.

The vote in the 15-member council was 10-0 with five abstentions, including Russia and China.

The United States, France and Britain had pushed for speedy approval.

French Prime Minister Francois Fillon said if the resolution was approved, France would support military action against Gadhafi within hours. The U.S. said it was preparing for action. Several Arab nations were expected to provide backup.

Gadhafi vowed to launch a final assault on Benghazi and crush the rebellion as his forces advanced toward the city and warplanes bombed its airport Thursday.

Gadhafi said in an interview broadcast Thursday on Portuguese public broadcaster Radiotelevisao Portuguesa that he rejected any U.N. threats of action.

"The U.N. Security Council has no mandate," Gadhafi said. "We don't acknowledge their resolutions."

He warned that any military action would be construed as "colonization without any justification" and would have "grave repercussions."

The text of the resolution calls on nations to "establish a ban on all flights in the airspace of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya in order to help protect civilians."

It also authorizes U.N. member states to take "all necessary measures ... to protect civilians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, including Benghazi, while excluding a foreign occupation force of any form on any part of Libyan territory."

Source

This is nuts. So we are going to help the rebels, who are almost vanquished, fight all the way back to Tripoli, and defeat Qaddafi? This will create a bloody long war with tens of thousands dead.

it's nuts, UN is out of control. It is being used to start war not prevent it.

Spoiler : Oil

and why are they not doing anything about Bahrain? :shaytan:

Oil reserves in Libya are the largest in Africa and the ninth largest in the world with 41.5 billion barrels (6.60×10^9 m3) as of 2007. Oil production was 1.8 million barrels per day (290×10^3 m3/d) as of 2006, giving Libya 63 years of reserves at current production rates if no new reserves were to be found. Libya is considered a highly attractive oil area due to its low cost of oil production (as low as $1 per barrel at some fields), and proximity to European markets. Libya would like to increase production from 1.8 Mbbl/d (290×10^3 m3/d) in 2006 to 3 Mbbl/d (480×10^3 m3/d) by 2010–13 but with existing oil fields undergoing a 7–8% decline rate, Libya's challenge is maintaining production at mature fields, while finding and developing new oil fields. Most of Libya remains unexplored as a result of past sanctions and disagreements with foreign oil companies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves_in_Libya

• Veteran Member

Yeah, but most of that from what I've read goes to Europe. For us in the US it is very low. Who knows, maybe the US is in it for oil (ha, maybe) but time will tell how this plays out. Once Gaddafi is gone, the Libyans will have to pick a leadership that can stand up to pressure from the West. Hopefully they can do that.

Yeah, but most of that from what I've read goes to Europe. For us in the US it is very low. Who knows, maybe the US is in it for oil (ha, maybe) but time will tell how this plays out. Once Gaddafi is gone, the Libyans will have to pick a leadership that can stand up to pressure from the West. Hopefully they can do that.

Newsflash : US is not the center of the world. Also, in their eyes, better them than China who gets most of dissident nations' oil.

• Veteran Member

Newsflash : US is not the center of the world. Also, in their eyes, better them than China who gets most of dissident nations' oil.

I never said it was, I'm just saying that either it is not motivated by oil or the US is involved in hopes of getting more oil contracts. I don't know, but I wouldn't put it behind us. That's all.

The rebels wanted a no-fly zone because they believe their ground forces are strong enough to take on Gaddafi. That the main threat to them is avoided through a no fly zone. I personally am only worried that the US and other western nations won't just leave it at that and will not allow the rebels to do most of their own fighting.

I never said it was, I'm just saying that either it is not motivated by oil or the US is involved in hopes of getting more oil contracts. I don't know, but I wouldn't put it behind us. That's all.

The rebels wanted a no-fly zone because they believe their ground forces are strong enough to take on Gaddafi. That the main threat to them is avoided through a no fly zone. I personally am only worried that the US and other western nations won't just leave it at that and will not allow the rebels to do most of their own fighting.

USA doesn't get oils from Libya.

Here is the list of top ten countries the US buys oil from

1. Canada

2. Mexico

3. Saudi Arabia

4. Venezuela

5. Nigeria

6. Angola

7. Iraq

8. Algeria

9. United Kingdom

10. Brazil

2283585.gif

• Veteran Member

Interesting comment from 'The Guardian'.

---------

You have to appreciate the twists and turns of life. When Gaddafi murdered the beloved Shiite Lebanese Iman Mousa al-Sadr and his companions, he never thought that he would ever face any retribution. Yet today, we watched Lebanon led by Shiites (Hizbullah and Amal) and their Sunni and Christian allies push the resolution that has sealed Gaddafi's fate.

---------

• Veteran Member

Edit: Sorry I misread "comment" as "article" DERP! :wacko:

But whoever made that comment does have a point. Better than many of the other comments I've read on western news sites.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23

Libya warned foreign powers on Thursday, only hours before a United Nations Security Council vote on a no-fly zone, that any outside attack on it would trigger retaliation and destabilise the Mediterranean region.

"Any foreign military act against Libya will expose all air and maritime traffic in the Mediterranean Sea to danger and civilian and military (facilities) will become targets of Libya's counter-attack," said the statement broadcase on Libyan television

http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE72G0P620110317

• Veteran Member

The future of Libya should be decided by the people of Libya. The United States stands with the Libyan people in their quest for their universal human rights.

USA's UN Ambassador to the council.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Egypt's military has begun shipping arms over the border to Libyan rebels with Washington's knowledge, in a well-timed story:

The shipments – mostly small arms such as assault rifles and ammunition – appear to be the first confirmed case of an outside government arming the rebel fighters. Those fighters have been losing ground for days in the face of a steady westward advance by forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.

Update:

British politician Sir Menzies Campbell, a Liberal Democrat member of the foreign affairs committee, told Sky News: "I don't think there is any appetite for putting troops on the ground."

Campbell said UK forces were already overstretched, and suggested that the main military action would be "combat air patrols, regular patrolling of airspace" to block air strikes by Gaddafi's forces.

Source: gaurdian.co.uk

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23
  • Veteran Member

This might be a good incentive for those who are too scared to rise up. I was reading statements by some young people in loyalist controlled territories that any protests are being squashed violently and some are scared. If the rebellion can sweep through some of these territories, some underground protesters or closet rebels may join the cause. That is, they'll feel safer to protest and join the fight.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23
  • Advanced Member

Libya warned foreign powers on Thursday, only hours before a United Nations Security Council vote on a no-fly zone, that any outside attack on it would trigger retaliation and destabilise the Mediterranean region.

"Any foreign military act against Libya will expose all air and maritime traffic in the Mediterranean Sea to danger and civilian and military (facilities) will become targets of Libya's counter-attack," said the statement broadcase on Libyan television

http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE72G0P620110317

Ah...I was wondering what happened to Baghdad Bob in recent years. Working in Tripoli I see.

The imperialist West cares about global hegemonic/"strategic" control of Libya's vast resources (most importantly its oil reserves which are the largest on the continent of Africa followed by number two Nigeria and number three Algeria). The US didn't have any of this concern about no fly zones when their demonic "ally" the Zionist "Israeli" air force (using US F-16 fighter jets, US Apache attack helicopters, etc.) was massacring Palestinian civilians (most of whom are refugees from what is today's Zionist "Israel") in the Zionist besieged outdoor prison/ghetto of Gaza (whose poverty is the direct result of Zionist oppression, colonization, and imperialism).

If one wants a clear example from the continent of Africa itself showing how the imperialist West (led by the imperialist United States) seems awfully inconsistent in their alleged concern for civilians and humanitarian crises in Africa one needs to look no farther than the resource poor African nation of Rwanda and the 1990s. http://www.infowars.com/media-demonizes-gaddafi-as-pentagon-prepares-attack/

Quote-

The United States is highly selective in how it responds to humanitarian crises in Africa. Declassified documents held at the National Security Archive reveal how U.S. policymakers decided to be “bystanders” during the genocide that ravaged Rwanda in 1994. Contrary to later public statements, the U.S. lobbied the UN for a total withdrawal of forces in Rwanda in April 1994, according to the documents.

More than 800,000 people were massacred in the East African nation. Rwanda is a country of few natural resources, and the economy is based mostly on subsistence agriculture by local farmers and therefore is of little interest to international bankers and globalists.

Libya holds the largest proven oil reserves in Africa, followed by Nigeria and Algeria. According to Oil and Gas Journal (OGJ), as of January 2010 Libya had total proven oil reserves of 44 billion barrels.

end quote.

Something tells me it isn't just that the imperialist US government has "learned its lessons" and wants to make "amends" for its early inaction in a poor African nation like Rwanda; I think anyone who seriously analyzes the global hegemonic aims of the Amerikkkan Empire can see the US and other Western nations see only oil and control of this dwindling key natural resource that they want for their cars and other vehicles!

A good side note on the nation of Rwanda and how colonialist Western powers (in this case Germany and Belgium) used divide and rule tactics on purpose and created the situation that led to the Rwandan civil war of the 1990s. http://www.uhurunews.com/story?resource_name=imperialism-what-you-wont-see-in-hotel-rwanda

I don't agree with Alex Jones on Egypt, but he appears spot on when it comes to Libya (Gaddafi's Libya being an old nemesis of the US government even back when Ronald Reagan called Gaddafi the "mad dog of the Middle East" for supporting third world resistance groups like the PLO, IRA, etc. in the 1980s). All that is needed to see the reality in Libya is actually just an understanding of how the imperialist American Empire works.

It is really funny in this video how Reagan can speak of alleged "fundamentalists" (in regards to Gaddafi and third world resistance groups Gaddafi's Libya supported against Western imperialism in the 1980s) at the same time Reagan and his cohorts were arming the Mujahideen in Afghanistan to fight the Soviet occupation!

http://dissidentvoice.org/2011/02/us-intervention-in-libya/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Front_for_the_Salvation_of_Libya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrahim_Abdulaziz_Sahad

And since someone brought up "Baghdad Bob", I thought we should see another picture of Saddam and Rumsfeld, back when Saddam was a "good ole" US puppet against Revolutionary Iran.

rumsfeld-saddam.jpg

In closing: I am no fan of Gaddafi (especially for his likely role in harming or kidnapping Imam Musa al-Sadr of Lebanon) but I will not join or support this new Western imperialist war. A Western imperialist war which has nothing but the domination of another Muslim nation (in this case the Muslims of Libya) at the hands of imperialist US, Western, Chinese, and other globalist bankers and mega corporations as its overall goal. Note a likely share in the domination of a fractured, battered, and weakened Libyan nation is likely why China, Russia, India, and others abstained in the UN Security Council vote (when China and Russia could have vetoed it). China and Russia likely were given some deal by the Americans on the back end (i.e. after the planned stealth re-colonization of Libya).

I feel very certain (and I pray to Almighty Allah) that even large amounts (if not most) of the Libyan rebels that have fought Gaddafi's government and forces; do not view the imperialist West as their alleged "ally" and do not want actual military action by any other nation against their homeland of Libya. Libyan's should (and hopefully do) know full well that outsiders (especially US and other Western imperialist outsiders, and heck even Chinese imperialist outsiders) care only about global hegemony and oil, not the "freedom" of anyone much less Libyans!

MusaalSadr.JPG

Edited by Basra
  • Veteran Member

Unfortunately, I think the Libyans do need support against Gaddafi, but I agree with Basra that the US government will likely do everything it can to exploit this situation for their own gain. We need to pray that the Libyan people, once Gaddafi is gone, will have the strength and resolve to create a truly independent nation and not one that simply bows down and submits to Western imperialism.

On Russia's intelligence, I'm not certain if we should just go ahead and trust Russian intelligence since they opposed the no fly zone and stood to gain from Gaddafi staying in power as he had plans to switch to only doing contracts with non-Western powers such as Russia, China, and India. I say keep Russia's statements in mind for the time being and be wary of US tricks. Neither can be trusted. Really, we just have to hope our Libyan brothers can benefit from whatever aid they get, without buckling down and allowing Western powers to manipulate them.

Unfortunately, I think the Libyans do need support against Gaddafi, but I agree with Basra that the US government will likely do everything it can to exploit this situation for their own gain. We need to pray that the Libyan people, once Gaddafi is gone, will have the strength and resolve to create a truly independent nation and not one that simply bows down and submits to Western imperialism.

On Russia's intelligence, I'm not certain if we should just go ahead and trust Russian intelligence since they opposed the no fly zone and stood to gain from Gaddafi staying in power as he had plans to switch to only doing contracts with non-Western powers such as Russia, China, and India. I say keep Russia's statements in mind for the time being and be wary of US tricks. Neither can be trusted. Really, we just have to hope our Libyan brothers can benefit from whatever aid they get, without buckling down and allowing Western powers to manipulate them.

If the imperialist US and West start shooting cruise missiles or sending fighter jets (which most serious military analysts say is allegedly "necessary" to actually implement a "no fly zone") they will not be hitting just Gaddafi or his army you can be sure of that: they will hit and kill untold numbers of innocent Libyan Muslims. A no fly zone is in many ways almost a declaration of war. Like I have already said I do not have any "love" for Muammar Gaddafi but we must not be tricked by Zionist owned/controlled Western media sources. Also although I again do not have any "love" or even real "like" for Gaddafi, I do respect the fact that in the 1980s he supported brave resistance movements like the Palestinian PLO under Yasser Arafat (back before the PLO completely sold out and became complete collaborators with the Zionist "Israeli" colonialists) and the Irish IRA fighting British colonialism on what should be sovereign Irish land (one day late for "St. Patrick's Day" when I finally get to bring up Ireland lol). This real history of supporting third world resistance groups that actually fought Western colonialism and imperialism, is the only reason the US and West cares about Gaddafi and Libya (other than that other huge point of Libya's enormous oil reserves). Where is American and other Western media/government concern for the oppressed Shi'a Muslims of Bahrain or Saudi Arabia?! Oh that's right the Shi'a Muslims in these nations are seen as allies of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Hezbollah, Hamas, etc. by the Zionist supporting Western imperialist nations and thus the US supports their tyrannical puppet "Sunni" monarchs in nations like Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, etc. Note even after the US puppet Wahhabi monarchy in Saudi Arabia deploys Saudi soldiers in Bahrain to prop up that apartheid "Sunni" monarchy against the Shi'a Muslims of Bahrain which by all accounts are at least 70% of Bahrain's total population (despite all the actions by the US puppet Al Khalifa monarchy to bring in Sunnis from other Arab nations to alter the demographics of Bahrain)! http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/editorials/articles/2011/03/17/saudi_troops_in_bahrain_drive_fears_of_wider_mideast_conflict/

Yes, Gaddafi has become somewhat buddy, buddy with certain Western nations (especially the sex fiend Berlusconi in Italy) in recent times but in the eyes of large amounts of the West (and particularly Americans) Gaddafi will always be an alleged "terrorist" for supporting people like Yasser Arafat, the IRA, and others in the 1980s. Groups and people that again actually did struggle with their blood and tears against Western imperialist oppression of the so-called "third world". This is the real reason why most of the Western media (and again in particular the media in America) is cheering for an imperialist US led military attack or invasion of Libya now. Gaddafi is in the column of people the imperialist West sees as a challenge to their hegemony (whether or not that is fully true or not today).

Edited by Basra
  • Veteran Member

I think the Libyan rebels have voiced that they do not want any kind of foreign ground assault, and as far as I've read, proposed military assistance has not yet exceeded beyond sea and air strikes. So hopefully, the rebels know to not let Western powers actually occupy Libyan territory.

Honestly, as I was telling a friend just earlier, I feel like Russia and our government will drag us into a new Cold War and are cleverly playing both sides of each conflict that has arisen in the Middle East and care little for the plight of the Middle Eastern Muslims and their rights and more about which side can serve their economic goals. Hopefully, some awareness will spread in these two heavyweights' territory.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23

I think the Libyan rebels have voiced that they do not want any kind of foreign ground assault, and as far as I've read, proposed military assistance has not yet exceeded beyond sea and air strikes. So hopefully, the rebels know to not let Western powers actually occupy Libyan territory.

Honestly, as I was telling a friend just earlier, I feel like Russia and our government will drag us into a new Cold War and are cleverly playing both sides of each conflict that has arisen in the Middle East and care little for the plight of the Middle Eastern Muslims and their rights and more about which side can serve their economic goals. Hopefully, some awareness will spread in these two heavyweights' territory.

Again even "sea" and "air strikes" (be it cruise missiles or fighter jets) will kill untold scores of non-Gaddafi affiliated Libyan civilians. Also to flip the US government's own script on them (that is the US and the US government itself, as nothing would've gotten through the UN Security Council without the US pushing, leading, and scheming for it likely by promising "gifts" to Russia and China); why isn't Gaddafi allowed to use air power against people that are rebelling against his government of Libya?! Doesn't the US military use largely indiscriminate Predator drone strikes against targets in Muslim nations like Pakistan?! All groups that actually study these illegal drone strikes by the US say they often kill scores of civilians. The US is hardly in any position to judge anyone else. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37474231/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

pakistan.jpg

Again Gaddafi is seen as someone who at least in words still resists Western imperialism and thus the Western nations (and their arms industries) are itching to strike Libya today.

Edited by Basra
  • Advanced Member

One can always count in the likes of certain people for deranged anti-American lunacy.

The Americans do nothing and let the Libyan rebels perish: "The evil Americans are letting Muslims die"

The Americans do something to help: "Imperialism! Re-colonization."

Rabid, irrational hatred is a garment that fits for every season.

Guest Stefan

One can always count in the likes of certain people for deranged anti-American lunacy.

The Americans do nothing and let the Libyan rebels perish: "The evil Americans are letting Muslims die"

*applauses*

Who said "America was letting Muslims die" in Libya? Anybody calling for US/UN imperialist intervention is a clown and servant of white imperialists; and any new government that actually represents the Libyan people will be shunned by the West just like Hamas Mujahideen were when the Palestinians elected resistance and not the collaboration of Fatah. You are truly nothing but a shameless apologist for Amerikkkan imperialists and anyone who reads your imperialism excusing posts knows this some of your past gems included sick garbage like saying unarmed African-American Sean Bell deserved to be shot 50 times by a white supremacist Amerikkkan police system. http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/234944611-sean-bells-fiance-says-verdict-killed-him-all-over-again/ Your continuous excuses for the never ending crimes of the white European genocidal monsters that have oppressed the entire planet of indigenous, black, and all other non-white peoples: "Here's the non-PC explanation of what probably happened." But anything excusing the crimes of white European colonialist evildoers is good according to you.

Oh yeah and the US just "cares" so much about Libya, NOT! It is that black gold, oil that the US cares about. Where was the US during Rwanda in the 1990s? Oh that's right Rwanda is a poor country with absolutely no resources for Westerners to exploit that is why nobody cared at all, even though so many more Rwandans were killed (putting aside the history of divide and rule colonialism used by Belgians that caused the problem later). Even the main case of Bosnia trotted out by imperialist Western supporters claiming they cared about people not global hegemonic control was nothing but proxy battles between the US, West, and the NATO imperialists against Russia (who armed the Serbs and was resisting domination at the hands of the US and NATO). http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Yugoslavia/Kosovo_NATO_Conflict.html

Edited by Basra
  • Advanced Member

We have a saying, consistency is too much for any man. The US will get blamed for almost anything it does by a lot of the Middle East, but that doesn't mean it is always consistent or praiseworthy. The difference in the West's treatment of Bahrain and Libya is pretty hard to explain by any motive but self-interest. In this the West is neither unique nor particularly terrible. Pretty much every nation looks to its own interests first. It is human nature. Still, it is more capable of running over other people for its interests than perhaps most other nations which does tend to cause wide-spread grievance.

• Veteran Member

I think it's natural for people to seek their own interests, I just hate it how the US government puts on a mask and tries to hide it, trying to paint itself as liberators first and capitalists second when in actuality if there is no economic benefit, even if there is no harm, we barely do anything.