Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Martial Arts Anyone ?

Rate this topic

Guest Muhamad

• Development Team
2 hours ago, Berber-Shia said:

Legs: MuayThai, Kickboxing or Taekwondo

I understand what you're saying but these aren't really an option because my legs don't work. 

Iron Palm/Fist/Body is not really a martial arts but body conditioning. I'm not interested in the flashier "Hollywood" aspects of Kung Fu. It's not practical and I can't physically do it anyway. What I am interested in being able to deliver very  powerful strikes with minimal effort and energy, increasing my pain threshold  and having the option of ending a fight with one punch (and quickly remove myself from the fight safely)

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've used my martial arts training for self defense twice. Everyone should become skilled in a martial art, but especially women should.

I understand what you're saying but these aren't really an option because my legs don't work.  Iron Palm/Fist/Body is not really a martial arts but body conditioning. I'm not interested in the fl

I took tae kwon do & shotokan akijutsu when I was a kid, but I haven't done it for years. I'd like to find a good BJJ dojo and take classes there for health and character-building purposes thou

Posted Images

• Advanced Member

Martial Arts in Dreams

Al Salaam Alaikum,

Before getting into self defense training, I used to have nightmares where I would be chased by creatures and attacked, and sometimes felt the need to hide. Also, when I used to try to escape, I would sometimes feel that I couldn't move, and that my strikes are in slow motion. After I started getting into martial arts my dreams reversed and thanks to Allah my nightmares became 'fun'. I would wake up after meeting monsters and fighting with them - in a good mood. I felt happy that I could defend myself against the weirdest looking creatures, and it would be like an action movie with happy ending.

So learning to defend yourself in this world will lead to a change in your attitude, lifestyle, and reflexes in all other worlds as well. In the dream world you can often fly as well - by the way - just by thinking of it. At the same time, when you walk the streets you emit a different aura, and people are less likely to pick on you. Learning martial arts is like learning a language. Without training it, you feel in a fight like you are helpless and don't know how to communicate. Fighting is a form of communication, and in China some call it 'talking hands'. There is something like an alphabet to self defense that each person has to figure out for themselves, and program their minds how they would react to certain situations. It becomes part of your nervous system memory and reflex ark, that reacts faster than your brain can control. By default you will know what to do exactly. One of the last times that I was in a fight, was in the middle of a traffic crossing, against two non-martial artists, and I was partly wrong, which made hurting them not an option. My mistake was stupidly screaming a dirty insult against their mothers at the top of my lungs in front of a huge crowd of cars and people, after they crossed a crossing against the traffic police, and forced me to break while I was driving. So, when we all got out of the car and they started swinging their hands against me, I felt like I was in my garage, and my neighboring friend was just sparring with me. So my hands were just defending and at one point just imitated them and swung around like in a swimming motion. In my mind I knew that I could not use an arsenal of moves and attacks that I was capable of doing, although I could clearly feel the arsenal potential being there. So this holding back made me very confident and at a higher moral ground, and at the same time I was very much aware of the space around me, making me feel much safer, than if I had not trained countless hours and prepared for self defense. So there I was in a real fight against some idiots who had no idea what they were doing, and were simply in a rage wanting to hurt me. I had the situation thankfully totally under control thanks to God alone, while I was detached emotionally, just seeing my friend in front of me. When one of them struck my ear, I kind of ended the fight - i don't remember exactly how - maybe by saying "KEFAYA", or "ENOUGH!", and stepping back, but the point is, that in essence that fight was just a bunch of letters, words, sentences, and a paragraph or two, that automatically flow. 

Learning this for us men is of vital importance, as it will even be our reflex in our dreams. You will look forwards to facing more monsters in your dreams, and not only that, but even your strikes in your dreams will actually have 'umph', or strong impacts. It wont be like under water boxing where there is no powerful and explosive impact. So learning martial arts is an investment for all the worlds, and I can not point out enough, that we need to remind ourselves again and again that we are learning and developing this knowledge and skill set, like everything else, just plainly and only for the sake of God - the Lord of the Worlds.

Let me share one of the most famous fighters quotes to date;

"Train as you fight, fight as you train" 

Thanks, w labayka ya Hussein! :dwarf:

• Advanced Member
On 9/27/2020 at 10:47 PM, Allah Seeker said:

But they won't step into a ring, even if they feel superior to competitors, because that is modern day gladiator sport, that defeats the purpose of self defense.

But fighting and sparring builds up strength and resistance. How could these "serious martial artists" be that powerful if they never fought forreal against someone else.

Look I'm gonna be blunt here. As much as I love the forms, Katas, symbolic techniques that these old martial arts offer, they just do not hold any significant superiority. Unless you train for 10 years everyday with all your heart, the chance is small to be able to "predict" your opponents move in fight which practically is unpredictable. 

Here's the problem:

Kung Fu, Aikido, Krav Maga, ... these are all martial arts that are too idealistisic, as in they focus too much on the ideal situation. Just like those self-defense lessons they teach women. The chance of you getting in specialized headlock in which you have to use very specific counter movements is slim to none.

You need simple and most effective martials arts, however savage they look. Because that's what you need to be in a fight, a savage. Not in a bloodthirsty way but in a effective and ruthless way. And MMA offers that. In a small time frame too. And by MMA I mean one or many of the sports it encompasses. If you cannot use legs like @Gaius I. Caesar then learn Boxing. If you want only grappling, then learn BJJ or wrestling. Please don't waste your time on niche martial arts that only give you the illusion of power when actually in a real life setting you might get seriously hurt.

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, Berber-Shia said:

Just like those self-defense lessons they teach women.

And for any women out there reading this thread(lol), the best self defense you could have is screaming, a pocket knife and a pepper-spray can.

Edited by Berber-Shia
  • Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, Berber-Shia said:

But fighting and sparring builds up strength and resistance. How could these "serious martial artists" be that powerful if they never fought forreal against someone else.

Sports competitions are not real fights. And of course sparring is important. Nobody said it isn't. 

Anyway it seems you didn't get my point earlier, so all the best in your training, whatever you think is best for you. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

I'd like to train in Brazilian Jujitsu; mainly for the discipline and the fitness aspects of doing so. I have been in too many physical altercations in my younger years, so I am not really interested in mma but I could see myself competing at a BJJ tournament/meetup if I was good enough because that's a different thing entirely. Unfortunately, the only BJJ dojos around here are clown operations/McDojos

When I was younger I took Shotokan karate, but it wasn't really something I was into because I think that the sensei I had didn't really take it seriously and didn't know as much as he thought he did. If I were ever to do martial arts again, I want to train under someone who really knows what they are doing and isn't in it just to make money or get trophies. Granted, I'm not trying to "learn how to fight", I just want the discipline of performing kata and the fitness that comes with training.