Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Muhamad

Martial Arts Anyone ?

Rate this topic

^^^ a woman training under my combat instructor fended off a knife attacker the other day by disarming him and scaring him enough that he ran away .. it's mostly in techniques that don't require much strength, and a little bit of practice for nervous system memory .. rather than muscle memory ..

.. when the guy saw that she knew what she was doing he gave up .. 

On 7/10/2015 at 7:21 PM, ultra said:

Against males?

Yes, and both were significantly larger than me, and one was muscular and most likely at least minimally trained in self defense.

The first, when I was in the army, an unknown man in uniform grabbed me and tried to drag me into an unoccupied tent. I twisted around, he continued to hold and pull my arm, I kicked him hard in the shin and twisted my arm free, and then ran until I was back in an area where there were other people. He shouted after me but appeared unable to run.

The second time a drunk man attacked me in my home while my toddler and infant were with me. I would have run if I were alone, but in this case that wasn't possible. The man grabbed me, I slipped from him, got the phone, dialed 9-1-1, he grabbed the phone and threw it, then pushed me against a wall and tore my clothes. After that I went into "reaction mode" and am not 100% sure what I did, but I did throw him to the floor and when the police arrived I had him pinned facedown with his hands restrained behind his back.

I'm a petite woman, and probably weighed around 120 lbs both times, and the second time I had very recently had a baby.

This is precisely why especially women should learn a martial art.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

How karate can save your life.

Bear vs man

Agence France Presse

TOKYO: A Japanese man who came face-to-face with a snarling bear took things into his own hands – and unleashed his karate skills on the beast. The 63-year-old man was fishing in a mountain creek when the 190-centimeter creature set upon him in what he said was an unprovoked attack.

In scenes seemingly reminiscent of Leonardo Di Caprio’s epic tussle with an angry bear in the Oscar-winning film “The Revenant” – Atsushi Aoki was bitten and scratched repeatedly, including on his head.

“The bear was so strong, and it knocked me down,” Aoki told Tokyo Broadcasting System.

“It turned me over and bit me right here,” he added, pointing to his bandaged leg.

But instead of trying to outrun the beast – an Asian black bear – the fisherman decided he would use his well-honed karate skills.

After assuming a fighting stance with his right fist in front of him, Aoki jabbed at his attacker’s eyes, which sent the creature scrambling away into the woods.

“I thought it’s either ‘I kill him or he kills me,’” Aoki told public broadcaster NHK.

The plucky fisherman managed to get back to his car and get himself to a hospital in Gunma, northwest of Tokyo, despite the mauling that left him with injuries to his head, arm and leg.

“He drove himself to hospital, and he even remembered to grab the fish that he had caught,” a local police officer told AFP.

The ursine adventure was hailed in the Japanese press as a man-versus-nature tale of triumph. “Man fights off bear with bare hands!” the Nikkan Sports tabloid screamed.

Despite media excitement over the episode, authorities in Japan advise against this course of action when confronted by one of Japan’s numerous wild bears.

Earlier this year four people were killed in separate bear attacks.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on September 03, 2016, on page 15.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/World/2016/Sep-03/370237-right-to-bear-arms-japan-man-wins-ursine-karate-battle.ashx

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Edited by Laayla

"According to Bai Yu feng, all people must develop five aspects of their being to condition their entire body. They are: physical strength, bone development, libido, chi development, and internal spirit. The first two are external and the last three are internal training. Bai Yu Feng also believed when all five are combined, the result is a far superior martial artist."

Doc-Fai Wong, Jane Hallander; Shaolin Five Animal Kung-Fu

"Overbearing training in martial arts produces an overbearing person; cruel and ferocious training in martial arts produces a cruel and ferocious person; cunning and artful training in martial arts produces a cunning and artful person; broad and generous training in martial arts produces a broad and generous person. ...

... A mind that is benevolent and merciful can make the body soft and supple. Energy that is violent and stubborn will make the body rigid and inflexible."

Master He Jinghan - Bagua Quan Foundation Training

I have three treasures

I hold on to them and protect them

The first is called compassion

The second is called conservation

The third is called not daring to be ahead in the world

Compassionate, thus able to have courage

Conserving, thus able to reach widely

Not daring to be ahead in the world

Thus able to assume leadership

Now if one has courage but discards compassion

Reaches widely but discards conservation

Goes ahead but discards being behind

Then death!

If one fights with compassion, then victory

With defense, then security

Heaven shall save them

And with compassion guard them

- Lao Tzu

وَلَمَّا بَرَزُوا لِجَالُوتَ وَجُنُودِهِ قَالُوا رَبَّنَا أَفْرِغْ عَلَيْنَا صَبْرًا وَثَبِّتْ أَقْدَامَنَا وَانصُرْنَا عَلَى الْقَوْمِ الْكَافِرِينَ

And when they went forth to Goliath and his soldiers, they said, "Our Lord, pour upon us patience and plant firmly our feet and give us victory over the disbelieving people." Qur'an 2:250

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.. I believe that the most important part of good martial arts is in the lower body and not the upper body. Usually people who like to show off work on the shoulder and chest, while neglecting their hips and legs. "Firm feet" lead to stability, balance, unity of motion, firmness, and speed on the ground. Like the roots of a tree, they are essential for keeping the tree alive and standing up. 

Most anybody who has experienced a real "fight" will remember that the biggest problem is shaky and wobbly knees when getting nervous.

Imam Ali in Nahjul Balagha Letter #45

"I am sure some of you would say that if the son of Abu Taalib eats so little and lives on starvation, then surely he must have gone weak and exhausted and must be unfit to face his enemies in battlefields. But you must remember that hardy trees which grow on the border of deserts have very strong timber; and trees which are found in marshy lands have thin bark and soft wood, similarly when the former are lit up they burn longer and with a very strong glow and give out more heat than the latter."

Some tips from Imam Ali, the gate to the City of Knowledge and the Lion of God ( a.k.a. the best martial artist in history ) :

I love this man: :love:

"... You must fix your back-teeth against each other; it makes the sword strike harder on the head of the enemy.  ... Look with a lower angle; it ties down excitement and relaxes the heart. .. Silence voices; it keeps failure away and it is better for dignity. .. You must exercise patience and truthfulness. Victory comes only after exercising patience. "

"Reduce speech, it keeps failure and argumentation away. You must settle your souls up facing the enemy openly, to advance and to attack. You must remain steadfast and speak of Allah, the Majestic, the Glorious, very often. You must not turn your backs to them; .. "

- H 8220 Ch. 13a h4, h5, Al-Kafi Volume 5

.. and this all-famous hadith that can't be repeated enough. internal is more important than external ..

"Abu 'And Allah, 'Alayhi al-Salaam, has said that the Messenger of Allah once mobilized a group of people against the enemy. When they returned back he said, 'I welcome a people who have just come back after completion of the minor Jihad and who yet have to complete the major Jihad.' Someone then asked, 'What is the major Jihad, O Messenger of Allah?' He replied, 'It is Jihad against the desires of ones' own soul to disobey Allah.'"

H 8176, Ch. 3, h3 

Here is an interesting article about the Muslim influences and participation in the eastern martial arts developments:

The Muslim influence and legacy on martial arts, which stretched from the deserts of Arabia to the Shaolin Temple of China, will continue to be like a huge pulse in the heart of mother China, for the cup will stay barely empty embracing each drip with virtue, and will only fill once the bridge is finally crossed.

Check out the article 1001 Years Of Missing Islamic Martial Arts :

https://sunnahmuakada.wordpress.com/2014/06/12/1001-years-of-missing-islamic-martial-arts/

Other than in recent times since the Islamic Revolution in Iran we have had zero contributions by Muslims in pretty much any field of knowledge. It seems that the past few centuries have thrown the Ummah into the dark ages, and despite that we should have faith that we have in the Quran and the Ahlulbayt the very keys that can create for us the best in every system. This includes the martial arts related philosophies, wisdoms, and effectiveness.

Let us hope that soon Muslims can contribute in this field again, as well as all other fields of life on earth.

"To be light and agile you must have a stable foundation, otherwise you will be as rootless as a falling leaf or a floating duckweed. Stability must also be expressed through lightness and agility, otherwise you will be as inert as a clay sculpture or a stone carving."

He Jinghan

On 3/13/2017 at 8:50 PM, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Quan = fist. Bagua has 8 palms, 1 fist. I don't know a lot about Jinghan but to call Bagua "quan" is out of place.

Below is a brief bio about Master He Jinghan:

"He Jing-han is a 5th generation Bagua Quan master. He spent more than 20 years living with and studying under Master Gong Bao Zhai. Master He was secretary to the Republic of China Martial Arts Association and former military professional. 
At the age of 15, He Jing-han started studying Yang style Taiji Quan but after 6 or 7 years came to a standstill and stopped improving. 
Then one day, when he was 23, he was introduced to Master Gong Bao Zhai and began to specialize in Bagua Quan.
Master Gong Bao Zhai had inherited the Bagua Quan system from his teacher Grandmaster Gong Bao Tien , a direct disciple of Grandmaster Yin Fu. 
He Jing-han became a disciple of Master Gong at the age of 24. From then on his masters home became the same as his own. He went in and out freely, ate there, slept there, mopped the floor, washed the dishes and put out the rubbish. This was all natural for the master-disciple relationship.
For 23 years he studied this way until his teachers death. He Jing-han now focuses his attentions on the cultivation of the arts and the promotion of the Bagua Daoyin."

http://www.baguaquanlessons.com/about-he-jinghan.html

From The book "BAGUA QUAN FOUNDATION TRAINING"

58c83b322bd98_LINEAGEBAGUA.thumb.jpg.b02920152726450e90e0ac87abc08aec.jpg

About Bagua Zhang / Bagua Quan

58c83b998ff45_BAGUAZHANQUAN.thumb.jpg.2a369ba44470fe450f7784ee6908dc27.jpg

"From Eight Mother Palm Styles and Eight Palms two internal and external linear Mother forms have been derived, which are the basis for putting the system into practice. The internal Mother form is called 'Bagua Zhang' or 'Bazhang Quan'; the external form is called Bagua Quan** or 'Paochui'.. "

** The term quan in Chinese, which is literally a 'fist', can refer to a form or a whole martial arts system. In this case 'Bagua Quan' means 'Bagua form', whereas the usual sense of 'Bagua Quan' in this book is the martial arts system. 'Zhang' is palm, so then literal meaning of Bagua Zhang and Bazhang Quan is 'Eight Trigrams Palm' and 'Eight Palms Fist'

:)

Jogger’s Fight With Sex Attacker Gets Recorded On Fitness Tracker; Attacker’s Face Looks Worse Than Victim’s

Seattle jogger Kelly Herron was having an ordinary run through Golden Gardens Park last week when she was attacked in a public washroom, a nightmare that most only ever imagine. After a terrifying struggle, she fended off the attacker, and the GPS trail her fitness tracker recorded shows the true extent of her ordeal.

The assailant, a registered sex offender, was hit by an unexpected turn of events when Kelly overpowered him and even managed to lock him inside a stall until police arrived. “Not today, motherf***er,” she screamed at him, according to ABC News. Kelly had taken a self-defense class only a few weeks before the incident, and “utilized all of it.”

Kelly described the experience in a harrowing Instagram post, in which she also shared the movements her fitness tracker traced using GPS during the fight. “My face is stitched, my body is bruised, but my spirit is intact,” she wrote in the same post. This creep picked the wrong jogger to mess with, and we’re glad to see that Kelly walked away more alive than ever.

... read the rest of the article on boredpanda

"On the day of 'Uhud al-Ansariy wore his turban and left one end hanging between his shoulders on his back and began walking as if puffed up with pride.

The Messenger of Allah said, 'This kind of walking Allah, the Majestic, the Glorious, dislikes very much except during fighting for the cause of Allah."

H 8170, Ch. 1, h 13 Al-Kafi Vol. 5

Fort Myers homeowner uses Jiu-Jitsu skills on burglar

FORT MYERS -

Here's a piece of advice for crooks: If you're going to break into someone's house, know whose house you're breaking into.

Lee County deputies said Josue Ortiz picked the wrong house, which he found out when the homeowner beat him using his Jiu-Jitsu skills.

Brian Burch said he was just trying to protect his stuff from a brazen thief.

"I was holding him down," Burch said.

"Once I had him, he wasn't going anywhere."

Burch is skilled in the martial art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

"I wrestled before. I've trained for the last two and a half years."

On Tuesday, when Ortiz entered Burch's open garage on Harvard Avenue, Burch took action after he heard a noise and went outside.

"He was standing right here carrying my jackhammer case and my airgun case," Burch recalled.

"He told me that the boss sent him over here to pick up tools to finish a job."

Burch didn't buy that story, and when he started asking questions, Ortiz tried to run. That's when Burch put his skills to use.

"Once we got to the ground, he started pushing and fighting me, and I hit him one time."

A neighbor saw the scuffle and called deputies. Burch held Ortiz down until they arrived and arrested Ortiz.

"They told him he got exactly what he deserved. He had a broken nose."

Burch is a father and said it could have been a lot worse.

"If the kids had been here, I probably would have been even angrier."

Neighbors are glad to know the would-be crook is off the streets.

"Probably scared the heck out of that poor guy. Not poor guy, dumb guy," said Chuck Carter.

"The fact that he manhandled him maybe, I think it's well deserved," said Darlene Donovan.

"I'm just glad he's not on the street anymore and can't hit anybody else's houses," Burch said.

He said several of his tools were already inside the car Ortiz was driving.

Deputies said that car had a fake tag.

Ortiz is still in the Lee County Jail, charged with burglary and grand theft.

Check reference for more and video: here

42 minutes ago, 313 Seeker said:

^^^ the story above isn't the most impressive due to the defender being quite a lot bigger than the attacker, but I shared it anyway. sorry about that. Just noticed after watching the video :sign_sorry:

I'm a 5'3" woman, and not terribly athletic. I've used my Hsing-I skills to defend myself against male attackers bigger than myself on two occasions. That's why I'm such a big advocate of especially women learning martial arts. If you're not stronger, be smarter and more skilled. It works. 

15 minutes ago, notme said:

I'm a 5'3" woman, and not terribly athletic. I've used my Hsing-I skills to defend myself against male attackers bigger than myself on two occasions. That's why I'm such a big advocate of especially women learning martial arts. If you're not stronger, be smarter and more skilled. It works. 

that's really interesting ma sha Allah.

Funny enough i heard about Hsing-I but never really learned anything about it. I just now for the first time googled it and found this video as its first hit. I love it and it looks wonderful! It reminded me of something that I forgot in my training. This man beautifully combines legs with arms (ankles-wrist; elbow knees) to get insane speed and power. I first started learning it in knife fighting and I recommend anybody to try it. Basically instead of just throwing a punch (example left arm strike while left foot is in front with right hand guarding the rear and right leg having a bit more body weight in back ) while stable on the ground, actually lift the front foot a little - return a bit and swing right back - resulting in a small hop forward, touching the ground quite firmly with left foot first while simultaneously throwing forward the left arm ( i hope it doesn't sound too complicated - it's not complicated in reality ) .. When done at the same time, it makes it totally different, which one only appreciates fully when sparring. I get a kick out of doing it even in shadow boxing because it looks an feels much cooler :) It's a great principle that propels everything into a whole new dimension of effectiveness if God's wills it. I will DEFINITELY be looking deeper into this Hsing-I art and get back to you again in sha Allah .. Can you tell us more about it? What is your experience and wisdom from this? How would you train people in this for self defense purpose?

Edited by 313 Seeker