Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Muhamad

Martial Arts Anyone ?

Rate this topic

I have been doing bickutzu for ages.

It mainly involves using bricks as weapons. You learn different techniques such as chucking, dropping from a rooftop, smashing someones skull in and other exciting methods for total destruction of the frail human body.

I have been doing bickutzu for ages.

It mainly involves using bricks as weapons. You learn different techniques such as chucking, dropping from a rooftop, smashing someones skull in and other exciting methods for total destruction of the frail human body.

lol planning to destroy cid? :P

My brother is a semi-pro kickboxer, he taught me a little bit and I do boxing and body combat at the gym. I actually reallyyy enjoy boxing (it's only on pads though, we don't spar with eachother) but I can't stand watching it/other martial arts.

wasalaam

when were u stripped of your admin status and downgraded to a mod?

^^ i'm also more of an aerial type of guy :)

here is one of the best parkour videos i've seen, from London it seems:

mashaAllah

i was once in a dark alley with a guy who was very much weaker than me (he was taller but in bad shape due to drugs i think ), then he pulled out a 30 cm rusty looking knife from inside his shirt and told me "how much you got?" .. it took me some time to register the knife, so i was like "what?!" .. then after perhaps .75 seconds it clicked and thank God before i knew it i was FLYING away like the wind. My legs took away without consulting my brain, and as his running steps behind me started to get slower, i was like "hey!! i can kick this guy's boodie!!", so i slowed down and turned around, looking at him. I started making a strategy in my mind and weighing the options. As i did that, he started sprinting towards me with that huge knife. so i felt it wasn't worth the fight, because even if there is a 0.000000001% chance that i get cut up, it's not worth it, just to justify my ego. So i thanked God that i was a better runner than him and escape is part of martial arts. (so i continued running away and he gave up trying to catch up)

I read a book by a controversial ninja master called Ashida Kim, where he said that a person, when faced with aggression, has 3 options:

1 - escape

2 - absorb attack

3 - attack

according to him, the escape should always be the priority, and then absorbing, while the attack is reserved only for real life-death situations, where it is beyond clear that we have right to defend ourselves. At the same time the attack option is all-out without contemplation, without hesitation, and making sure the person does not get up anymore.

i kind of like that philosophy of choosing peaceful options whenever possible (hypothetically), and reserving the fight only for real life situations, that truly threaten somebody's life unjustly. It's kind of peaceful to me.

there is a lot to be learned on the path to peace in sha Allah

At the same time, i like that even absorbing the attack should be considered a proper trained option. Basically, if a person attacks us, that we are prepared to take the attack, without letting it hurt us. I loved this one very much and reminded me of Jesus giving the other cheek.

again, i'd like to point out that running, absorbing also require training. how to run and how to absorb theoretically, and how to deal with situations on a spiritual level, with issues like breath and of course above all, always remember God.

peace peace peace

(wasalam)

to all those who mentioned krav magar, i adivise that you stay away from it because their funds go towards Israel, so you literally giving them money to kill Muslims

Not unless you are trained in Silat Mubai and manage to derive your techniques from that art and modify it as Krav Maga. I learnt in from a guy in Karachi who has a black parajit in Muay Thai, a black belt iin Ninjitsu and Karate, a red sash at Kung Fu and other versions of Eastern martial arts.

But even so, its Haraam to go to Western schools that teach Krav Maga, as part of their funds will most certainly be for Israhell's benefit

Practiced wingchun kung fu for a few months, absolutely loved it..

salam,

just want to say that while some practitioners claim they are unaffected, i had to stop training (Ving Tsun) because my shoulder started hurting from the bong sau. it still hurts today a bit, but am happy to have learned such an effective technique alhamdulilah. just want to raise awareness that we should take care of our bodies and not train something that hurts us.

thanks

salam,

just want to say that while some practitioners claim they are unaffected, i had to stop training (Ving Tsun) because my shoulder started hurting from the bong sau. it still hurts today a bit, but am happy to have learned such an effective technique alhamdulilah. just want to raise awareness that we should take care of our bodies and not train something that hurts us.

thanks

W/salam,

even though i practiced the art for only a few months, i have never hurt myself really bad. yes there were punches and kicks throne at me but this is the fun part of it, this is what makes you defend yourself and prepares you for any real life situation.

wasalam

walaikum salaam,

No im not talking about punches or kicks that don't do long-term damage. What i meant is joint and ligament damage from chi sau. It's a kind of joint pain that hasn't gone away with me completely. But as i said before, some people don't have this issue. I think that my master did something wrong in the chi sau training procedure, even though he is among the best in the world. Anyway, i LOVED it, and am really really really sad i had to stop :( i wish i could have continued also to learn the long stick and butterfly knives, and above all .. the wooden dummy . Anyway. enjoy please

wasalam

Edited by peace seeker

^^ you mean western boxing

and the other karate styles can surely be good, but it's wrong to dismiss its source, which is chinese boxing.

Karate began as a common fighting system known as te (Okinawan: ti) among the Pechin class of the Ryukyuans. After trade relationships were established with the Ming dynasty of China by King Satto of Chūzan in 1372, some forms of Chinese martial arts were introduced to the Ryukyu Islands by the visitors from China, particularly Fujian Province. A large group of Chinese families moved to Okinawa around 1392 for the purpose of cultural exchange, where they established the community of Kumemura and shared their knowledge of a wide variety of Chinese arts and sciences, including the Chinese martial arts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate#History

China is the big brother of Japan, and a lot more than martial arts came from the mainland. Even the writing style is from China.

Anyway, it is nice to see how they Japanese developed into various styles masha Allah

These include:

Judo

Aikido

Jiu Jitsu

Ninjitsu

Karate 

Sumo 

Kenjutsu (Japanse swordfighting)

etc etc

of course each has countless branches

wishing you great training and development and health in sha Allah

Ofcourse western boxing, thats the first thing that comes to mind when you hear 'boxing'.

Yes, ofcourse other karate branches may be 'good', but alot of them emphasis on useless choreographed fight sequences and no/light contact sparring. Why I said Kyokushin ( and even Saidokaikan) is 'effective', even though they do have kata's, its because of the nature of their classes and their emphasis on full contact and linear strikes. They condition their bodies to withstand the full strength blows they receive. Heck, Japan's kickboxing scene (k1), which is seen as one of the most active and progressive in the world, originated from Saidokaikan. Other forms of karate may be effective, but they have to incorporate many 'foreign' techniques and adapt to real self defence situations.

And Kung Fu, personally, is a complete joke to me. And before alot of the brothers here get angry at me, I have trained in Choy Li Fut kung fu (refer to the late Bruce Lee as how effective it is). It is the ONLY style of kung fu, that travelled to Thailand to fight the Thai boxers, and won. Even CLF seemed a tad too 'fake'. It has a wide range of strikes, but I would dismiss 90% of them, which includes the finger strikes, circular punches, and all of the stances taught. And even Wing Chun, which has a reputation of being a very effective art, wouldn't help you much. Their straight and direct strikes work well at times, but eventually, if the fight is long enough, you would end up throwing swings (WC relies on getting into clinch range to strike).

But I really do think wrestling, regardless of the style (grec-roman/collegiate/arab lol etc.), Sambo, Judo and maybe, just maybe BJJ should've been on my list.   

Salam and take care.

wasalaam,

you mentioned 2 or 3 effective kung fu styles that are very effective of course.

but saying that the endless chinese boxing styles are a "joke" is surprisingly strange comment to say.

my friend is a choy lee fut master, and it is definitely very effective, just like countless other styles.

an art that has been studied, perfected and tested for thousands of years in China, will obviously have effectiveness.

one other reason why it is very limited to claim western boxing is the best style is because it was developed for the ring, without much deep knowledge of using more than the hands as a fist.

not only is it a child of gambling, but it lacks weapon use, as well as psychological warfare / spiritual sphere.

dismissing styles that were designed for real battles and real deadly fights without rules, does not make a lot of sense.

at the same time we have documented fights where judo masters beat the gracies, so it seem so it is rather about the person than the style in a lot of cases. 

BJJ is JJ in effect, and ignoring JJ is again not academically correct.

The fact of the matter is that almost any style will be superior if the practitioner is superior. And when i say superior, i mean in real life life-death situations. not roman style blunted modern-day gladiator cages. because those are not realistic. in real life, such a scope can be harmful, because in a fight the fighter may not think outside the ring. 

Martial arts are and art, and one of the rules of art is that it can never be wrong, as long as it does not contradict islam.

one can't go to an artist and say: hey !! your style is a joke !!! to really know how effective a martial artist is, one must wait for the time of battle. not fake confrontation. and sometimes that battle wont happen. at other times the artist might have a bad day, so the style can't be blamed either.

i've known extremely powerful fighters from all kinds of styles, including world champions. if those guys would fight for their lives, it would be the grace of Allah that would save them essentially.

from my experience based on demonstrations and seeing levels of fitness, creativity, explosiveness, variability, unpredictability, beauty, function, etc etc , nobody quite compares with a shaolin warrior. having training with them does not really compare to anything else one sees. these guys not only have the arts in the physical science that we accept. they go beyond it.

nobody harder, nobody faster, nobody works harder, nobody masters weapons better, nobody more fit, nobody has longer range, nobody has more options than a shaolin monk. It incorporates everything including muay thai these days, in form of sanda boxing.

anyway, as an individual the artist seeks the style that appeals to him/her most, while learning from as many artists as possible. always keep the creativity flowing, and remember it's an art. an art in preparation for real life, which any true shia will not use unless it is justified beyond a doubt.

My comment on Karate applies to Kung Fu too, but to a greater extent - "Other forms of karate may be effective, but they have to incorporate many 'foreign' techniques and adapt to real self defence situations."

Ofcourse, it would be foolish to say that all Kung Fu practitioners are ill-equiped for a fight. It is foolish to say that all the practioners of a certain 'style' is better than another. Helio was beaten by Kimura, Sakuraba destroyed the Gracies (hence his nickname 'Gracie Hunter'), then again Sakuraba lost to Royce, Yoshida drawed with Royce, Dennis Siver destroyed Sotiropolous, countless western boxers entered the K1 scene and did pretty good. I've seen many Russian Sambo wrestlers 'toy' with Judoka's, and even Mitsoya Maeda, the Judoka who taught Carlos Gracie (who's younger brother Helio further refined it into modern BJJ) fought against many Savate fighters, western boxers and catch wrestlers in his journey to Brazil.

BUT, the fact still remains that, although the Shoalin monks of Northern and Southern China do undergo vigorous and extensive training (This is what got me into martial arts), that although they are very explosive, energetic, crazy and unpredictable, a large quantity of what they train in does not work in real combat situations. They may have the physical strength, stamina and endurance of the Thai boxers, but why is it that EVERY SINGLE STYLE of Chinese boxing (apart from CLF) that travelled to Thailand lost? And it was only till a unified 'art' was brought into existence after centuries, that the Chinese had bragging rights. And you mentioned that the monks also encorporate Sanshou into their curriculum (which as you stated, was equivilent to Muay Thai). That is utter rubbish. Majority of the monks refuse to train in Sanshou/Sanda because it is  viewed as Western, same as the traditional Muay Thai masters that refuse to include western boxing into their punches. I'm pretty sure you havent seen Kung Fu sparring sessions before the invention of Sanshou.

I'll sum it up. The two combatants stand squared up in their 'nuetral' fighting stance. They move foward slowly to engage. The first strike they both attempt is a 'traditional' strike, then they just swing their arms around at each other. KHALAS. None of their blocks work (apart from the obvious guard), and they never establish a fighting stance. It was only after countless years that they thought to themselves, that alot of what they're taught doesn't work. Then they included Shuai Jiao (chinese wrestling) and removed the unnessesary, that they, or rather the Chinese military, produce something noteworthy.

I will leave you with a few Bruce Lee quotes: "All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns."

"Boards don't hit back."

"Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."

"Someone with only a year of training in boxing and wrestling could easily defeat a martial artist of twenty years experience."

ps, Boxing was built for the ring, but in the ring, your up against lively opponents, not against static and lethargic sparring partners who allow you to hit them lightly. It is not perfect, and alot of the techniques taught can be easily exposed, but it's my personal favourite :)

Salam 'Alaikum

hey you said some right things and other wrong things:

first of all it is not "rubbish" that shoalin monks train sanda, and compete in it, because i have witnessed their training as well as competitions. it is very easy for them to do any kind of martial art actually.

at the same time the level of fitness of a shaolin monk can not be compared to any other person on earth. but that is beside the point actually for now, as the point is that there is no space for arrogance and gambling in this sport / art / science.

some people train it so they can beat up civilians who are unarmed and untrained on the street. or they train so they can "beat up"  other people who train how to beat other people up. The true martial arts are not "empty handed", like karate, because they are to kill people. it might sound a bit bad, bad the chinese martial arts are for life and death in battle like situation. of course they are traditional martial arts, so they train with weapons that are old school. not with gun powder weapons anyway.

I'll sum it up.

I'll just let it go, it's getting out of hand. Sorry if I've offended you, or anyone else for that matter.

I will be honest and say that my training in Kung Fu has helped me, and it was what got me into martial arts. But hey, everyone has their personal favorite. I used to think Taekwondo (WTF) was all that back then. Then I discovered boxing.

InshaAllah you reach your goals in your training and in life :)

Salam

wasalam :)

thanks same to you. i have now taken a year break again from training physically, but i've noticed that doing other things can boost inner power.

one of the biggest boosts i got was practicing calligraphy. try it. take a calligraphy course, or something artistic unrelated to martial arts directly. while you are in the middle of it get up and do some kind of move, like a jump or shadow boxing, or sparing. you will notice a tremendous power boost.

it's like when they say that the mind gets stronger when we work on our bodies, we can also say that bodies get stronger through working the mind and spirit.

therefore, being a muslim and studying islam gives a boost as well, that most muslims are not aware of. 

O Prophet, urge the believers to battle. If there are among you twenty [who are] steadfast, they will overcome two hundred. And if there are among you one hundred [who are] steadfast, they will overcome a thousand of those who have disbelieved because they are a people who do not understand. 8:65

so again this shows that being a believer is itself the greatest training for potential martial confrontations as well. 

also, things that are very important is ability to run, walk long distances, and judge the opponents.

in an urban setting like in europe, it is very easy to detect styles of martial artists just by the way they walk. However, there are some styles, especially ving tsun, where very potentially dangerous people mostly seem to be frail and harmless. anyway, wishing you also that you reach all your objective gains through martial arts. 

all the best

(wasalam)