Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Muhamad

Martial Arts Anyone ?

Rate this topic

Guest Muhamad

Wow mashaAllah. MMA is great and effective. The part I lack is jiu jitsu and ground fighting in general.

Guest Muhamad

Good stuff .. have a weak spot for Muay Thai as well. Love it! And karate was the first system for me in the 80's :/ am getting old

Guest Mushu

I like watching UFC sometimes. Jon Jones is a beaaaaasssstt.

I used to do Tai Kwon Do when I was a kid...

I wanna get into the Samauri skills, like Kaido, Akidi, and Judo, when I have time inshAllah.

bismillah.gifsalam.gif

Boxing (still do it), was offered to go into amateur boxing but I am an academic student and don't have the brain cells to spare. I was sparring a lot in past months, but 2 weeks back I found out I am not allowed to any more due to a medical condition. I seriously recommend all Muslims take some sort of martial art none the less. Boxing is a great sport, not worth doing it for a career at pro or even amateur level. Inshallah I might do some wrestling as well.

As far as other disciplines go, I tried Brazilian Jujitsu at some MMA place, the ground fighting was not for me. I like to dance around the ring, slip punches, and put on a show; that said however Brazilian Jujitsu is the most effective fighting style in my opinion. If you aren't a jujitsu kind of person, Muay Thai is excellent.

My brother is a semi-pro kickboxer, he taught me a little bit and I do boxing and body combat at the gym. I actually reallyyy enjoy boxing (it's only on pads though, we don't spar with eachother) but I can't stand watching it/other martial arts.

wasalaam

muay thai for me...its just the best. theres a youtube vid of me sparring this sikh guy but i dont think ill post it here.

also do boxing on mondays, wednesdays and fridays (muay thai on tuesdays and saturdays).

ive purposefully stayed away from MMA/BJJ because im unconfortable with another dude rubbing his crotch against me

I know that's it's created in Israel...

Why would that matter? Doesn't make it any more or less of a good fighting style.

I used to do ITF Taekwondo under an 8th dan instructor (one of around 3 in the country) it was quiet an experience and possibly the scariest 55 year old man you'd ever meet.

Depends what you're looking for, if you want fitness or fun almost any martial art will cover you.

If you want serious self defence potential i'd recommend Krav Maga firstly and if not that perhaps wing chung or you know... just buy some kind of weapon if you live in a place thats that bad.

I saw a very good documentary series called "Fight Quest". They went around the world and every week they'd learn a different martial art and at the end of the week they'd go up in a fight against a experienced practitioner. They got their butts kicked half the time (no brainer, right?) but it was a good overview of the various martial arts of the world. I highly recommend you guys check it out.

If you want serious self defence potential i'd recommend Krav Maga firstly and if not that perhaps wing chung or you know... just buy some kind of weapon if you live in a place thats that bad.

i would agree to this, i used to be a fan of its supposed muslim counterpart - silat mubai - but having looked into them both krav maga is far superior. the way they actually have lessons for example on a moving bus so people get used to close quarter fighting when they keep losing their balance, and other situations away from the safety of the dojo mat and body pads means that its probably one of the few martial arts that will benefit someone who does not have strength or experience to fight back.

im also a fan of wing tzun, specifically sticky hands. if i could go back 10 years i would use sticky hands as my foundation, then do taekwondo, then boxing and finally muay thai.

Yeah, i've seen this a lot.

I live in the rougher part of the city but a lot of times here you get suburban white kids or adults who have never been in a fight in their life and teach them martial arts in a nice, safe, comfortable dojo.

Even if they're a black belt, sometimes the minute they get hit, they're just shocked... no idea what to do, they freak out and the pressure crumbles them.

If you watch the documentary i talked about they did an ep on krav maga.... the training was extremely intense... then again they did train with the israeli army.

My main concern with more tradition styles like karate/tae kwondo is that they consider themself a "martial art". There's a lot that comes with being an art, a system of ethics, your movements sort of have to be nuanced and it kind of assumes both sides will fight honourably, in its purest form anyway. Instructors usually like to mix it up a bit and throw in some practical self defense, like my taekwondo instructor. You don't get all the way to 8th dan without learning a thing or two, we learnt practical knife defense and all that. Still most of the time was just reptitive kicking and patterns.

Theres no "art" in krav maga or wing chung. They're not even really martial arts, more systems. Theres no ethics system and theres no nuances. If you have to kick the guy where it really hurts or poke him in the eyes, then you do that. They teach you things like that. I don't know about you mate but if i was in a situation where it came to fighting and there was a chance i could be more than minimally injured... i wouldn't care about nuanced moves or honour... the other guy certainly doesn't have it.

Even if you do undertake krav maga or wing chung theres still no guarantee you wont freeze up but it does prepare you better.

The first thing they teach every martial artist (or at least the first thing they taught me) "we teach you this so you don't have to use it" as in its a lot better to just never get in a fight in the first place. If you're getting mugged and the guy has a knife... just give him your damn wallet... you might lose a couple hundred bucks at most but you'll still have all your own original blood which is a plus..

I probably didn't tell you anything you didn't know haha but i felt like going on a little rant there...

lol you are preaching to the converted brother! ive done karate, judo, kungfu, taekwon do, boxing and thai boxing, all apart from the last two have been pretty much a waste of my time and effort - precisely because of what you said.

my training in thai boxing was simple - from my first lesson the trainer (who used to be in the jordanian special forces who has since been institutionalised) put me in the ring with 3 really good thai boxers and basically said he was not going to teach me to fight until i learnt to defend myself. man i spent every lesson for at least a month or two getting my ass WHUPPED. but now thank god when i do get punched or kicked i dont freeze up or panic. thats what i like about muay thai, it is technically a martial *art* with its muay ram and traditions etc, but it is absolute destructive when it needs to be.

what did bruce lee say about karate? it was just a fancy game of tag?

Its a bit like all fighting methods, no point in just practising it, you need to participate in fighting to learn how to fight and train the brain/body to take a punch or kick and not enter panic state. If a trainee boxer just worked out on a bag and entered the ring for his first fight, the first punch he gets will shock and panic him and he will forget everything he was taught. Fighting experience ( and full contact ) is important to learn how to deal with a fight. Learn to keep composed and not panic when a real fight happens.

Edited by Irishman

Wow, thats rather impressive, i'm literally amazed.

It reminds me of the krav maga episode of fight quest (First part here) they basically just got 6-7 guys to beat on him and he had to try get out. Little unrealistic for the average suburban person in the west but not unheard of.

Yeah, muay thai is pretty damn intense as well.

No but they sound interesting, care to pass a link along?

theyre like krav maga but with sticks; penchak silat based freestyle martial art, totally full contact, with grappling, with sticks. absolute nutters.

theres hardly any chance you will *ever* be attacked while carrying a stick, but its a good martial art nontheless

http://dogbrothers.com/

Higher Consciousness Through Harder Contact

legends

bismillah.gifsalam.gif

Krav Maga vs Brazilian jiu jitsu

who would win?

Jeet Kune Do sounds pretty good as well. Apparently it was created by bruce lee and was supposed to be a mix of a bunch of martial arts without the ineffective squatting on one foot with your eyes closed junk.

Krav Maga vs Brazilian jiu jitsu

krav maga man; one is a point/ submission based martial art which is *very* useful in neutralising an opponent in a steerfight, the other is *specifically* made for a streetfight in order to seriously damage your opponent. the difference is huge when you think of it

krav maga man; one is a point/ submission based martial art which is *very* useful in neutralising an opponent in a steerfight, the other is *specifically* made for a streetfight in order to seriously damage your opponent. the difference is huge when you think of it

bismillah.gifsalam.gif

Yeah, I have been trying to find a style similar to krav maga that I can compare it with, but the styles out there just can't compete. Most style that we see on tv are there cause they are made for TV. Like boxing is made for entertainment more than it is made for inflicting serious bodily harm (hence the lack of grappling and kicking).

Anyways if you ever have spare time go on youtube and look up "sport science" or "fight science" they have some very interesting fight styles/techniques on there.

This one I found interesting.

If you ever spew up the courage, send me the link to the sparring session I would love to watch it.

Edited by ShiaSoldier@2007

I've seen fight science, good show, so is fight quest.

Definetly krav maga because they teach you to use your thumbs in their eyes, kick in the groin, bite anything goes. Biting is hardly a part of BJJ.

On youtube you can usually find various fight match ups type in "taekwondo vs karate" for example

If you ever spew up the courage, send me the link to the sparring session I would love to watch it.

no problem bro, youtube is blocked at work so ill PM it to you tonight; basically the sikh guy (in white) had zero heart so as soon as id start hitting him he would stop the fight and start messing about with his socks so i would back off, by the end of the fight by my count i kicked him 18 times in a row without him landing a single shot back before he crumpled and the session was over. im fighting a 6 and a half/ 7 foot giant wahabbi this weekend or next depending if he shows up (he keeps ducking), if i can get someone to film it ill upload that onto youtube as well