Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Something Non-muslims Do That Irritates Me

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

I hate it when non-muslims I know greet me with "asalamalakum" all the time. I know it sounds weird, but let me explain. It's not so much the fact that they're saying "peace be upon you," it's just annoying how I see Catholics saying "Peace be with you, brother" or how just ordinary people I know always say "Peace" or "Peace out" and then when these various non-Muslims see me, if they know I'm Muslim, all of sudden it's "Asalamalakum" everytime. As though I need to be addressed with it because I'm Muslim or because I'm Muslim I have to be greeted in Arabic.

The reason it irritates me is because it makes me feel like I'm being treated as a foreigner. I mean, I love Arabic and learning more about it, but in my mind I'm like "You could just say 'Peace be with you' or 'Shalom' and convey the same meaning." :squeez:

The context in which they say it annoys me.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23
  • Veteran Member

Well the reason it bothers me isn't the greeting. It's just the fact that I was born and raised on American soil, my mother was caucasian and my father of Mexican descent, my last name being Basque, and now that I'm Muslim, people start addressing me in Arabic when they can convey the same meaning with ordinary phrases they are already familiar with. It's annoying because it shows to me they don't know what it means otherwise they would just say "Peace be unto you" in English. And if they do know what it means, why do they think I'll only respond to Arabic? Because I'm a Muslim? It's cool every now and then, but after awhile it's irritating when I could be addressed in a language I've used all my life. I personally find it a bit insulting because Arabic is only a secondary language that I don't know enough yet to use as a common speaking tongue. And even if I did, why should I be addressed in Arabic rather than English? It just bothers me because I feel like people expect me to act more like an Arab now.

One time my mother, a Christian, kinda ordered me not to change my name to anything like "Abu Bakr" or "Ali" or "Muhammad Abdul" and I was like...why do you assume I'm gonna change my name to something like that? Is there some sort of ruling that says I need to rename myself after a prophet or saint? And if I do, why do I need to use Arabic transliterations? If I'm a Muslim and I want to name my son after Prophet Joseph (pbuh) do I need to use "Yusef" to sound more Muslim when it says "Yusef" in the Arabic Quran and Arabic Bible?

I love Arabic, it's a beautiful language with a beautiful culture, but I feel like in the States, even amongst some Muslim reverts that there's this attitude that the more Arabic you speak or act, the more Muslim you are. I personally feel as a Muslim, I'm only obligated to learn plenty of Arabic to understand the Quran, but as far as identifying myself with the Arabic language and customs, I don't believe I'm obligated to do so. Nor do I feel that doing so makes me more Muslim . I think here in the States, there's confusion as to what is an Arabic custom and what is Muslim custom, even amongst some reverts.

I suppose it's a bit strange sounding, it's just as someone who has been raised amongst the customs of Americans since birth, it's awkward when I'm treated more as a guy with an Arab fetish than a Muslim-American.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23
  • Advanced Member

Well the reason it bothers me isn't the greeting. It's just the fact that I was born and raised on American soil, my mother was caucasian and my father of Mexican descent, my last name being Basque, and now that I'm Muslim, people start addressing me in Arabic when they can convey the same meaning with ordinary phrases they are already familiar with. It's annoying because it shows to me they don't know what it means otherwise they would just say "Peace be unto you" in English. And if they do know what it means, why do they think I'll only respond to Arabic? Because I'm a Muslim? It's cool every now and then, but after awhile it's irritating when I could be addressed in a language I've used all my life.

La paz sea contigo. :P

It is obligatory upon a Muslim to reply to an As Salaam Alaikum in a manner which is even more warm than the greeting itself. I found a paper with Sunni references in which the author has mentioned an ayat from the Holy Quran which makes it mandatory on a Muslim to reply to a greeting even if it is from a non-muslim.

However, the shia source for replying to a salaam from a non-muslim prescribes "alayk" and is something which is discouraged.

Replying to a Non Muslim Salaam