Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Nima

Rafsanjani Avoids Chairmanship Position

Rate this topic

Chairman of Iran's Assembly of Experts Ayatollah Hashemi Rafsanjani has declined to once again accept candidacy for the leadership post at the 86-member body.

Rafsanjani said he would not accept candidacy for the position if Ayatollah Mohammad Reza Mahdavi Kani would be willing to run for the position and that he would throw his weight behind Kani's nomination.

Addressing the assembly prior to the Tuesday morning voting, Rafsanjani cited “division or discord among the body members as detrimental.”

“More than 80 just and qualified Mujtahids (an expert in religious law) are members of the Assembly of Experts who are valuable capital for our country and establishment and creating division or display of discord in this body is very harmful,” Fars News Agency quoted Rafsanjani as saying on Tuesday.

“I declare now that if Ayatollah Mahdavi Kani is ready to take up the post, I definitely would not stand for the post so that this holy institution won't suffer harm,” Rafsanjani added.

Ayatollah Kani was picked to the leadership position Tuesday morning with 63 votes in favor in the early hours of the ninth session of the Assembly of Experts.

Commenting on the latest developments in the region, the veteran politician said the world of Islam is going through a very new situation which is indicative of Muslims' awareness and prudence in their encounters with difficulties and responsibilities.

“Many people are sick of their rulers' dependence on foreigners and hegemonic powers' control over their countries, and many others are discontent with the corruption which is dominating their governments,“ he continued.

Rafsanjani described the recent movements in some regional states as irretrievable and added that the awakening movements and the awareness of the people in Egypt, Tunisia, Bahrain and Libya have made the situation irreversible.

In some states rulers that find their positions in jeopardy, brutally massacre their people and even bombard them, he concluded.

AO/MB

http://www.presstv.com/detail/168833.html

Edited by Nima

(bismillah)

(salam)

ostovar20110308102638373.jpg

Brother, thank you for the news story. =)

i had a 4 hour debate with an iranian the other day, and I criticized Rafsanjani for his and his sons corruption. He didn't like it and basically told me that the fact that he's wealthy, and always has been wealthy (pistachio family, azadi universities, etc) doesn't make him corrupt.

what really makes him and his family corrupt and distrusted?

i had a 4 hour debate with an iranian the other day, and I criticized Rafsanjani for his and his sons corruption. He didn't like it and basically told me that the fact that he's wealthy, and always has been wealthy (pistachio family, azadi universities, etc) doesn't make him corrupt.

what really makes him and his family corrupt and distrusted?

(salam)

Politics is about how u market and sell yourself, he could not be courrpt at all but becuase his rich and he made one or two bad desicions he lost his image/reputation which leads him to lose his credibility etc etc. Hence the hadeeth about giving your brother 69 benefits of the doubt before you accuse him, thats how important the image/reputation is.

Persian Shah, do you have any of those links, it'll be intersting to read

(salam)

Edited by sarmad17

Salam

I believe he was outvoted because he himself said

"Rafsanjani said he would not accept candidacy for the position if Ayatollah Mohammad Reza Mahdavi Kani would be willing to run for the position and that he would throw his weight behind Kani's nomination. "

Meaning he was ready to take the position but because Ayatollah Kani was also elected and ready to take the seat he moved aside.