In the Name of God بسم الله

Urgent: Food Made By Mother (non Ahlulkitaab)

Rate this topic

IFK

• Advanced Member

Wow i gave my opinion. In actual fact i have discussed this with various scholars (i wont give names) and I will take responsibility for my actions on the day of judgement, that i fine by me. a lot of ruling are based on the interpretations of the quran and hadith and i admit to not being knowledgable in that area. But my beliefs are MY beliefs.

• Forum Administrators

(salam)

(bismillah)

íóÇ ÃóíøõåóÇ ÇáøóÐöíäó ÂãóäõæÇú ÅöäøóãóÇ ÇáúãõÔúÑößõæäó äóÌóÓñ

"O you who believe! Verily the polytheists are filthy..." (9:28)

To me, the idea that they are unclean in Islamic fiqh is quite clear. Firstly, the Qur'an and hadiths make this fact very clear, and anyone who leaves this opinion has left the words of the Prophet (pbuh) and the Imams (as), and have concocted their own opinion.

But if you'd like some rational evidence: Muslims are obligated to wash themselves often throughout the day and keep away from unclean things. We make ghusl at least once per week, we make wudhu' up to 5 times per day, we do ghusl al-janaba when we have sex, we don't touch dogs without washing ourselves several times, we use water when cleaning ourselves after urination or defecation, we change or wash clothes when something najis lands on it, etc. All these obligations I have named are either oft broken or always broken by the vast majority of non-Muslims. How many times have you seen people come out of the washroom without washing their private parts or hands? How many times have you seen people that look like they haven't washed themselves in days? How many keep dogs at their house, with licking and fur everywhere?

I actually knew a Hindu who would burn cow feces every morning and put a bit of it on his forehead (becomes a white mark). Do I really want to eat something this person has touched? This is one example of many. Islam is a precautionary religion, and thus, the mushrikeen are indeed najis.

• Advanced Member

^Very nice post brother. We need to realise that our opinions are of no value when the Quran and the narrations of Ahlulbayt (as) are involved. I preach this to myself before I advise anybody else, as many of us have this habit.

Edited by Replicant

With all due respect, your research means nothing if it isn't a ruling from a marja. Please don't pretend to have the tools that allow you to issue fiqhi rulings.

If I remember correctly, not so long ago, you visited a scholar to help you translate something from Arabic to English. Clearly, you don't have the proper tools as language is a basic necessity let alone the other knowledges.

Willful ignorance of the religion's teachings. Do you think the Ma`sumeen (as) were only sent for mujtahids? What's next, a person can't read the Quran either but should be content in reading what a scholar describes about it instead? And who said anything about me issuing fiqhi rulings?

I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to me visiting a scholar for translating something, where'd you hear that one from?

Sister, don't take any advice from people's own understandings of ahadith, as this won't be sufficient for you.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here? Didn't you just discourage people from reading the hadiths by saying it's worthless unless it's the fatwa of a marja`? And what is a fatwa anyway? Isn't it a supposed to be a mujtahid's own understanding of ahadith? So is that insufficient too then or is mujtahid not a person to be excluded from your statement?

• Advanced Member

In my opinion not eating food that your mother has prepared for you is disrespectful. Do you honestly think this religion would teach us not to eat food made by our own mothers regardless of their beliefs.

Hadith are not always a good thing for this religion due to the fact that alot of them are unauthentic, and in my opinion any hadith which brandishes human beings as najis seems strange to me.

Do what you think is right and the most important thing is not to think blindly but to think logically. I mean if ayatollahs who have studied this for years disagree with each other how can we decide which one of them is right. Inshallah people with good intentions will be forgiven for mistakes they make, especially those trying to please their mothers.

She has respected you after your conversion to islam so i think you should return that respect by eating the food she has lovingly prepared for you.

• Advanced Member

Salam

Sorry cannot reply to each of the separate posts at this moment, but there are evidently very conflicting replies..

Am still awaiting confirmation from Aga Sistanis office.

Just thought I'd clarify regarding the last line above:she is not AWARE of my conversion at all-she may disown me, never talk to me, throw me out of the house....or maybe just accept it (which I pray for),but given the way they look at islam, that's going to be a challenge..

So the above line of her respecting my conversion to islam isn't applicable yet unfortunately.

I'm in taqiyyah majorly for the past 2 years - can't do hijab around them ofcourse and several other daily things-im a different person the moment I step into the house/with them/go to places I'm afraid they may suddenly appear/go to places where family friends may be there..and a different person when I go out with friends who know about my conversion/or if I'm alone.

I've had to goto places serving alcohol, had to sit at tables with it, rush through my prayers, break my prayers several times when they bang on my room door...so its complete taqiyyah..I've only eaten food my mother or grndmother when they have literally had to take the spoon and feed me..apart from that, sometimes I've been forced to eat it given the situation..but the point is, they do not know, and would not be happy with it at all, and I'm in taqiyyah..

The reason I mentioned the above things I'm doing is because I don't know if that will make a difference in my situation. For example,I know hijab is compulsary, but I'd be killed/ thrown out if I did it, so I can't do it infront of them-thats pretty clearly taqiyyah..I've even had friends telling me that I'd rather delay some prayers at time if I have a chance of getting caught, because islam says I'd rather miss one prayer and be able to live long enough to pray the rest of my life (as opposed to being caught and then kept locked in room and not allowed to pray for rest of life..

So is it the same with the food issue?I don't know if the laws would change under taqiyyah because its not AS threatening as being caught praying or in hijab..so would appreciate if any knowledgeable person would know about this?

Will inshaAllah look into the other options in more detail as well..but for now..this is what I wanted to add-ifff it makes a difference to ruling

JazakAllah

Edited by IFK

• Advanced Member

I would say the most important thing for someone who has converted to islam is to keep learning through reading quran because things are not just black and white. For example you say hijab is compulsory but there are also alot of people who say that it is only encouraged.

And for your situation it will be the same, like you say everyones answers have been conflicting, everyone no matter how knowledgable is going to have a different opinion so all i can say is keep learning and make your own decision when you feel you can.

I hope this helps, i know how hard situations like this can be but I dont think this is a major issue, i mean its not mentioned in the quran and not eating food from your mum doesnt seem logical. I know you just want to do the right thing so badly which shows how good your faith is so i really hope this works out well for you.

At the end of the day the most important things are being a good person and worshipping Allah.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Shiachat really is losing its taste, no?

People giving their own OPINION on what this person should do without backing up from the Quran or hadith

Then you have people questioning whether or not a kafir is najis even though the QURAN clearly states so.....

I think the moderators should moderate this forum a bit more, these posts are getting worse and worse ...

• Moderators

(bismillah)

(salam)

(salam)

Shiachat really is losing its taste, no?

People giving their own OPINION on what this person should do without backing up from the Quran or hadith

Then you have people questioning whether or not a kafir is najis even though the QURAN clearly states so.....

I think the moderators should moderate this forum a bit more, these posts are getting worse and worse ...

Alhamdulillah, I'm relieved to see that somebody actually realized this and pointed it out.

Sister IFK, I have the utmost respect for the efforts you're taking to correctly follow the rules. Hopefully the office of the marja replies to you soon, but to get a quicker answer maybe you should contact an office or representative by telephone.

I don't know which region you're from, but here are two sites that might help:

www.najaf.org : Imam Ali Foundation - London (includes the contact details of Syed Murtadha Kashmiri)

www.imam-us.org : Imam Mahdi Association of Marjaeyya (down at the moment, should have the US representatives contact details)

Edited by Mahdavist

• Advanced Member

Salam.

Thankyou for that..

So I guess this also shows the same conclusion right? All examples cited in the hadith are of people of the book (Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians)

And its also clearly stated not to eat what they cook (if Zoroastrians are considered non Ahlulkitaab-but as far as I know, we have a fatwa stating that they are..so...)

I guess we're back to the same initial conclusion even without having the marjas fatwa.

JazakAllah- I wanted to see where the rulings were from. It had automatically translated into english, making it really weird to read ..so I hope I interpreted it correctly...Please correct me if Im wrong...

www.najaf.org : Imam Ali Foundation - London (includes the contact details of Syed Murtadha Kashmiri)

www.imam-us.org : Imam Mahdi Association of Marjaeyya (down at the moment, should have the US representatives contact details)

Thankyou for the links Bro Mahdavist...unfortunately I do not live in any of those parts of the world, so cannot call them, but will inshaAllah go through the links right now..As I said, I live in a "Muslim" country...if I lived in the West, I would have a lot more legal rights and it would be muchh easier in the independant daughter/legal etc aspects, though possibly slightly tougher in others..

But adding to the dilemma, my parents have just pretty much CHALLENGED me, that if I respect/ love my mum (well, they used another statement, but this is what it implied), then I should show it to her by eating the food she makes..and I need to tell her myself to make the food for me, and I will eat it....Now the particular food which they have challenged me with, REQUIRES wet hands to touch the food..cant be done without it at all.....so I told her...she became really happy and told me to get all the grocery and she will make it.....I told her she can make it for me and I'll be there with her and learn...

But now what????

Im thinking I can do the MAJOR wet hands part while she teaches me? But there are always other parts where wet hands will be used..

Wasalam

Edited by IFK

• Advanced Member

But if you'd like some rational evidence: Muslims are obligated to wash themselves often throughout the day and keep away from unclean things. We make ghusl at least once per week, we make wudhu' up to 5 times per day, we do ghusl al-janaba when we have sex, we don't touch dogs without washing ourselves several times, we use water when cleaning ourselves after urination or defecation, we change or wash clothes when something najis lands on it, etc. All these obligations I have named are either oft broken or always broken by the vast majority of non-Muslims. How many times have you seen people come out of the washroom without washing their private parts or hands? How many times have you seen people that look like they haven't washed themselves in days? How many keep dogs at their house, with licking and fur everywhere?

I actually knew a Hindu who would burn cow feces every morning and put a bit of it on his forehead (becomes a white mark). Do I really want to eat something this person has touched? This is one example of many. Islam is a precautionary religion, and thus, the mushrikeen are indeed najis.

This isn't exactly rational evidence. The above examples show that non-Muslims have a high probability of being najis, but to say that they're inherently najis is another matter.

Salam.

Thankyou for that..

So I guess this also shows the same conclusion right? All examples cited in the hadith are of people of the book (Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians)

And its also clearly stated not to eat what they cook (if Zoroastrians are considered non Ahlulkitaab-but as far as I know, we have a fatwa stating that they are..so...)

Salaam,

That's the thing. So far as I know, most if not all of the evidence on this in regards to the taharat/najasat of the kuffar in regards to the ahadith is referring to the people of the book (and Zoroastrians too) (or about those like the Nawasib who show Islam but are really kafir but right now we're discussing those who are distinctly part of another religion entirely like Christianity, Buddhism, etc). The evidence on their (the people of the Book's) taharat or najasa is as you can see a bit unclear, and many if not most `ulama nowadays go with saying they are tahir.

You might then ask, well ok, what about the non-Kitabis then like Hindus, where's evidence for them being najis as most `ulama still will rule on? To be frank, I haven't really seen it. So far as I know in terms of the hadiths there isn't really clear evidence for that as most if not all of the hadiths in this topic are talking about the above mentioned groups (which makes sense as in those times the kuffar the Muslims would have had living contact with would have been them). So, they fall back to saying the aya in sura at-Tawba cited above is the proof of their being najis as well as the ijma` (consensus) of past scholars. Problem there though is that I'm not aware of any hadith that actually states that that's what the verse means, and the arguments that are used to extract that from it are intellectually based. As to the ijma`, even that isn't clear since the majority (not all though) of those same scholars would have considered all kuffar, even kitabis, as being najis not just non-kitabis. Perhaps that's why some `ulama have ruled that in fact all people regardless of religion are tahir (except of course for incidental najasa, e.g. someone's hands get najis because they were in contact with something najis, etc.) since in fiqh the tahara of something is the initial assumption unless it is proven to be najis (i.e. you would need to have sufficient evidence proving they are najis, not evidence proving they are tahir), or at least that the ruling of the najasa of the kuffar is based on ihtiyat.

• Veteran Member

Salam.

Thankyou for that..

I guess we're back to the same initial conclusion even without having the marjas fatwa.

JazakAllah- I wanted to see where the rulings were from. It had automatically translated into english, making it really weird to read ..so I hope I interpreted it correctly...Please correct me if Im wrong...

Thankyou for the links Bro Mahdavist...unfortunately I do not live in any of those parts of the world, so cannot call them, but will inshaAllah go through the links right now..As I said, I live in a "Muslim" country...if I lived in the West, I would have a lot more legal rights and it would be muchh easier in the independant daughter/legal etc aspects, though possibly slightly tougher in others..

But adding to the dilemma, my parents have just pretty much CHALLENGED me, that if I respect/ love my mum (well, they used another statement, but this is what it implied), then I should show it to her by eating the food she makes..and I need to tell her myself to make the food for me, and I will eat it....Now the particular food which they have challenged me with, REQUIRES wet hands to touch the food..cant be done without it at all.....so I told her...she became really happy and told me to get all the grocery and she will make it.....I told her she can make it for me and I'll be there with her and learn...

But now what????

Im thinking I can do the MAJOR wet hands part while she teaches me? But there are always other parts where wet hands will be used..

Wasalam

Sis IFK,

There have been a lot of conflicting opinions given by people here on SC. My advice to you would be to seek out a scholar that you trust, explain your situation to him, and get advice on how to deal with your situation. Islam has its rules but Islam is also a religion of understanding, and there are cases when a person may be excused from following certain rules (see the earlier post about the exception for the Hindu parent). Abortion for example is one of those instances that is generally forbidden but sometimes allowable depending upon circumstances. You are under exceptional circumstances - living with non-Muslim family members, forced to conceal your faith to them, etc. I can't imagine that a reasonable scholar won't give you some leniency in your difficult situation.

Writing to maraje is not always ideal. Many of their offices receive hundreds of inquiries every day and the people answering them simply don't have the time to deal with questions on an individual basis. Usually what you'll get from them is a general ruling and that's it. That's why I urge you to directly talk to a scholar about it.

And as far as hadith go, they are not clear cut on this matter. Even in the link that was posted, I found differences. For example, some traditions suggest eating with them is not permitted due to ignorance about rules of cleanliness or you can eat if they have cleaned themselves properly:

3 – And by the isnad from `Ali b. al-Hakam from Mu`awiya b. Wahb from Zakariyya b. Ibrahim. He said: I was a Christian and I became a Muslim. So I said to Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام: Verily the people of my house are upon the Christian religion, so do I eat with them in a single house and eat from their vessels? So he عليه السلام said to me: Do they eat the flesh of swine? I said: No. He said: There is no harm.

And al-Barqi narrated it in al-Mahasin from `Ali b. al-Hakam likewise.

4 – Muhammad b. al-Hasan by his isnad from al-Husayn b. Sa`id from Safwan from `Is b. al-Qasim. He said: I asked Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام about eating with the Jew and the Christian. So he said: There is no harm if it is from you food. And I asked him about eating with the Zoroastrians. So he said: If he washed his hands (lit. did wudu) then there is no harm.

And as-Saduq narrated it by his isnad from al-`Is b. al-Qasim likewise.

5 – And there has preceded in the hadith of `Abdullah b. Sinan from Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام that he said: There is no harm with the pickles (kawamikh) of the Zoroastrians, and no harm with their hunting for fish.

Edited by Renaissance_Man

And as far as hadith go, they are not clear cut on this matter. Even in the link that was posted, I found differences. For example, some traditions suggest eating with them is not permitted due to ignorance about rules of cleanliness or you can eat if they have cleaned themselves properly:

Read this: How to deal with conflicting ahadith?

• Veteran Member

Actually I just found hadith that applies perfectly to your situation:

5 – And by his isnad from al-Husayn b. Sa`id from al-Qasim b. Muhammad from Mu`awiya b. Wahb from `Abd ar-Rahman b. Hamza from Zakariyya b. Ibrahim. He said: I entered upon Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام and I said: Verily I am a man from the people of the Book and verily I became a Muslim. And my family are all upon Christianity and I am with them in a single house. I did not separate from them afterwards. So do I eat of their food? So he said to me: Do they eat [the flesh of – in the masdar] swine? So I said: No, but they do drink wine. So he said to me: Eat with them and drink.

And al-Kulayni and al-Barqi narrated it as has passed with variance in the expression, except that he said: So I am with them in a single house, and I eat from their vessels.

6 – And from him from Faddala from al-`Ala from Muhammad b. Muslim from one of the two of them عليهما السلام. He said: I asked him about the vessels of the people of the Book. So he said: Do not eat in their vessels when (or, if) they have eaten the dead animal (al-mayta), blood, and the flesh of swine in it.

And as-Saduq narrated it by his isnad from al-`Ala likewise.

Ahmad b. Muhammad al-Barqi in al-Mahasin from a number of our companions from al-`Ala likewise. And the one prior to it from `Ali b. al-Hakam from Mu`awiya b. Wahb. And the one prior to them both from his father from Safwan. And the first one from Ibn Mahbub likewise.

Again, this is not a clear cut ruling but gives you an idea that Islam is not as strict about these things as people make them out to be.

• Advanced Member

Actually I just found hadith that applies perfectly to your situation:

5 – And by his isnad from al-Husayn b. Sa`id from al-Qasim b. Muhammad from Mu`awiya b. Wahb from `Abd ar-Rahman b. Hamza from Zakariyya b. Ibrahim. He said: I entered upon Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام and I said: Verily I am a man from the people of the Book and verily I became a Muslim. And my family are all upon Christianity and I am with them in a single house. I did not separate from them afterwards. So do I eat of their food? So he said to me: Do they eat [the flesh of – in the masdar] swine? So I said: No, but they do drink wine. So he said to me: Eat with them and drink.

And al-Kulayni and al-Barqi narrated it as has passed with variance in the expression, except that he said: So I am with them in a single house, and I eat from their vessels.

6 – And from him from Faddala from al-`Ala from Muhammad b. Muslim from one of the two of them عليهما السلام. He said: I asked him about the vessels of the people of the Book. So he said: Do not eat in their vessels when (or, if) they have eaten the dead animal (al-mayta), blood, and the flesh of swine in it.

And as-Saduq narrated it by his isnad from al-`Ala likewise.

Ahmad b. Muhammad al-Barqi in al-Mahasin from a number of our companions from al-`Ala likewise. And the one prior to it from `Ali b. al-Hakam from Mu`awiya b. Wahb. And the one prior to them both from his father from Safwan. And the first one from Ibn Mahbub likewise.

Again, this is not a clear cut ruling but gives you an idea that Islam is not as strict about these things as people make them out to be.

Salam

Yes I read these...but Christians are Ahlulkitaab, so the ruling is completely different for them right?

Wasalam

Edited by IFK

• Veteran Member
Salam

Yes I read these...but Christians are Ahlulkitaab, so the ruling is completely different for them right?

Wasalam

Ah, sorry I missed the non-Ahlul Kitab part of your original post. This is where I would defer to a scholar. Also, check the fatawas of Ayatullah Saneei. He is amongst the group of marajs who believe non-Muslims are not physically najis, only spiritually.

• Advanced Member

Rulings for Ayatollah Saanei:

Issue 50: A Kafir (infidel) is one who denies God (an atheist), or one who ascribes partners to God and denies

the uniqueness of Allah (a poly theist), or does not believe in the Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh),

being God's messenger, or doubts any of these. Obstinate infidels are absolutely impure; but the

infidels who are not obstinate (including most of the infidels) are pure, and the same is the case with

those infidels who fight with Muslims for reasons other than Islam and Islamic beliefs, that is, they are

not obstinate1 infidels and religious antagonists, so they are pure.

Issue 51: If parents and grand parents of an immature child are obstinate infidels, that child is also impure,

and if one of these is a Muslim, the child will be pure.

• Advanced Member

this thread has some of the answers you want.

i'm afraid it seems you cannot.

As long as you do not know who has cooked the food or packed it, it is permissible.

Ayatullah Sistani:

Can we eat food cooked by a non Muslim when we do not know whether or not it is clean?

Answer: A Muslim is allowed to eat any food made by a person whose faith and religion is not known to him, no matter whether that person touched it with wetness or did not touch it, provided that he does not know or is not sure that the food consists of what is forbidden to him.

Question: Can we eat a meal that has been cooked by a non-Muslim whose religion we do not know?

Answer: It is permissible to eat the food and it is not necessary for the Muslim to question the person who prepared the food about his beliefs or disbeliefs, or whether or not he had touched the food, even if that inquiry is very convenient and natural for one who wants to ask.

So i could go to Mcdonalds and eat a burger because i don't know how the animal was killed and prepared plus the workers all wear gloves so they dont touch the meat.

• Advanced Member

So i could go to Mcdonalds and eat a burger because i don't know how the animal was killed and prepared plus the workers all wear gloves so they dont touch the meat.

(salam)

Meat is different issue. Meat is considered haram until you have certainty it's halal.

This is opposite to taharat - everything is pure/clean until you have certainty it's impure/najis.

Edited by Replicant

• Advanced Member

In non-Muslim countries the meat is obviously haram. The halal things are things such as the Fillet-o-Fish Burger or Veggie Burger and the fries.

Yes but I'd heard the fries were cooked in animal fat so I'd personally avoid these too.

• Advanced Member

Yes but I'd heard the fries were cooked in animal fat so I'd personally avoid these too.

McDonald's French Fries are cooked in dedicated frying vats in a new non-hydrogenated blend of sunflower and rapeseed oil which is suitable for vegetarians. The new oil has been developed without raising the saturated fat content or altering the taste.

http://www.mcdonalds...ries/fries.mcdj

Edited by Replicant

• Advanced Member

As salamunalaikum,

Sorry was unwell for the past 2 days, and during that time, my mother was insisting that she make some soup/hot tea or somethingggggg for me...she kept promising that she would wash her hands and clean the dishes to make sure its all clean and hygienic:'(

Even after her insisting sooo many times, I couldnt..and inspite of being unwell, I went down and made myself some basic food with her...she tried helping me as much as possible, and she wanted me to rest..but I didnt know what to do..everytime I think of how she must be feeling, I feel teary...

I cant imagine my own child doing this to me..I think I'd die if I were a mother and my own child doesnt eat my food..

I dont know what to do...now both of them are insisting ALOT...she keeps saying shell promise that everything is clean and she'll wash her hands as many times so that Im happy..but just to let her make food for her child...

Ive sent the question to Aga Sistani and also our local alim..no replies yet..

I ve asked one lady aalima..she also told me to confirm with Aga Sistanis office because of the particular situation..but generaly ofcourse she said its not allowed..

I asked a friend of mine to speak to another Maulana at another Imambargah..even the Maulana there said no..

I cant speak face to face to anyone else (except that lady who I spoke to) or call anyone..thats the problem...because of the sensitivity of my situation..

I just cant understand what to do...

Noone seems to have ever dealt with this situation I think for some reason?:S ...everyone knows the ruling that Ahlulkitaab is fine...and that nonAhlulkitaab isnt fine generally.. but noone knows what its like if its the person's mother and you live with them...im very surprised..hasnt ANYONE here ever been in this situation?Im sure we've had a few converts who live with families who are aethist/Hindu/Buddist/any other religion...

If anyone has ever asked a scholar, and gotten a reply, PLEASE share...coz noones replying to me..and my situation is getting worse each day...my relationship with my parents is getting worse, and emotionally, its all becoming a mess...

Im sorry...I just dont know what to do now:(

Please help!!

wasalam

• Advanced Member

As salamunalaikum,

Sorry was unwell for the past 2 days, and during that time, my mother was insisting that she make some soup/hot tea or somethingggggg for me...she kept promising that she would wash her hands and clean the dishes to make sure its all clean and hygienic:'(

Even after her insisting sooo many times, I couldnt..and inspite of being unwell, I went down and made myself some basic food with her...she tried helping me as much as possible, and she wanted me to rest..but I didnt know what to do..everytime I think of how she must be feeling, I feel teary...

I cant imagine my own child doing this to me..I think I'd die if I were a mother and my own child doesnt eat my food..

I dont know what to do...now both of them are insisting ALOT...she keeps saying shell promise that everything is clean and she'll wash her hands as many times so that Im happy..but just to let her make food for her child...

Ive sent the question to Aga Sistani and also our local alim..no replies yet..

I ve asked one lady aalima..she also told me to confirm with Aga Sistanis office because of the particular situation..but generaly ofcourse she said its not allowed..

I asked a friend of mine to speak to another Maulana at another Imambargah..even the Maulana there said no..

I cant speak face to face to anyone else (except that lady who I spoke to) or call anyone..thats the problem...because of the sensitivity of my situation..

I just cant understand what to do...

Noone seems to have ever dealt with this situation I think for some reason?:S ...everyone knows the ruling that Ahlulkitaab is fine...and that nonAhlulkitaab isnt fine generally.. but noone knows what its like if its the person's mother and you live with them...im very surprised..hasnt ANYONE here ever been in this situation?Im sure we've had a few converts who live with families who are aethist/Hindu/Buddist/any other religion...

If anyone has ever asked a scholar, and gotten a reply, PLEASE share...coz noones replying to me..and my situation is getting worse each day...my relationship with my parents is getting worse, and emotionally, its all becoming a mess...

Im sorry...I just dont know what to do now:(

Please help!!

wasalam

(salam)

I have a feeling Sayed Sistani's office will just copy and paste a fatwa from the resalah, rather than give a personalised answer.

Try Sayed Mohammed Musawi on this one:

http://www.wabil.info/wabil/home.aspx

He gives detailed responses. Just make sure you explain your WHOLE situation and how you feel.

Say that you have to hide your faith because your parents don't like Islam, if they find out you might get disowned etc.

• Veteran Member

McDonald's French Fries are cooked in dedicated frying vats in a new non-hydrogenated blend of sunflower and rapeseed oil which is suitable for vegetarians. The new oil has been developed without raising the saturated fat content or altering the taste.

http://www.mcdonalds...ries/fries.mcdj

Actually, its not the oil but the fact that they use non-halal beef fat in their french fries that makes them haraam. See ingredients (http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/itemDetailInfo.do?itemID=6052). Was a major bummer for me when I found out :-(

• Advanced Member

I feel sorry for you but i feel even worse for your mother. You said yourself that your relationship with your parents is getting worse because of this issue, in islam you cannot displease your parents and to have a breakdown in your relationship should not be something that you insitgate. I just cant accept that islam would ever teach us to treat our parents this way, it seems very wrong to me. I have to stress that this is my opinion but i think pleasing your mother should be a priority in your life.

Also no matter who you ask about this issue, they will all give you different answers, the straight answer your looking for doesnt exist becuase everyone differs on this subject.

I really hope you manage to solve your problem and that everything works out well for you and your family.

• Advanced Member

Who told you this ??

107. An infidel i.e. a person who does not believe in Allah and His Oneness, is najis.

http://sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&nid=2&bid=59&pid=2863

An atheist does not believe in God, therefore is najis.

The question is whether this is a literal najasat or a metaphysical one.

I think issues like this make it really clear that 1. we are totally lost without an Imam 2. Fadlallah's reform perspective is really necessary in the world today. That's just my opinion as a convert with a really well-intentioned polytheist mother who is buying me abayas for my birthday lol.

And as for MacDonald's, I've heard that they support Israel, so wouldn't it be haraam to buy from them entirely? Them and Motorola!

• Advanced Member

Actually, its not the oil but the fact that they use non-halal beef fat in their french fries that makes them haraam. See ingredients (http://nutrition.mcd....do?itemID=6052). Was a major bummer for me when I found out :-(

Hmm - it says beef "flavour" rather than fat, which are different things. Flavour can be artificially made.

I wonder how they say it's suitable for vegetarians then. The fatwas seem to be conflicting lol.