Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
El Peace

Significance Of The Number 12

Rate this topic

bismillah.gif

salam.gif

And recall what time Musa prayed for drink for his people. We said: smite With thy staff the stone. Then there gushed forth thereout twelve springs; every people already knew their drinking-place; eat and drink of the provision of Allah, and commit not evil on the earth as corrupters. [1:60 Al-Quran]

Just wondering...what is the significance of the number 12 in this verse? Do you think it has something to do with the 12 Imams as.gif?

Edited by El Peace

Just wondering...what is the significance of the number 12 in this verse? Do you think it has something to do with the 12 Imams as.gif?

ÇáÓáÇã Úáíßã

1. Prophet Isa (as) according to the bible he had twelve companions and he is the thirteen.
  2. Prophet Jacob (as) also according to the bible and the Qur'an he had 12 sons
  3. Prophet Muhammed (SAWA) is the thirteen with the 12 Imams (as)
  4. Surah 12 talks about Yusuf and the 12 sons of Jacob (as)
  5. A year consists of twelve months (I think it was mentioned in the Qur'an)
  6. Half a day is twleve hours (something that has to do with the number perheps)? - About the days is also mentioned in the Qur'an.

السلام عليكم

1. Prophet Isa (as) according to the bible he had twelve companions and he is the thirteen.
  2. Prophet Jacob (as) also according to the bible and the Qur'an he had 12 sons
  3. Prophet Muhammed (SAWA) is the thirteen with the 12 Imams (as)
  4. Surah 12 talks about Yusuf and the 12 sons of Jacob (as)
  5. A year consists of twelve months (I think it was mentioned in the Qur'an)
  6. Half a day is twleve hours (something that has to do with the number perheps)? - About the days is also mentioned in the Qur'an.

Yes, 12 months is mentioned in the Quran.

The number of months in the sight of Allah is twelve (in a year)- so ordained by Him the day He created the heavens and the earth; of them four are sacred: that is the straight usage. So wrong not yourselves therein, and fight the Pagans all together as they fight you all together. But know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves [Al-Quran 9:36]

Also, the word "month" is mentioned in the Quran 12 times.

And perhaps 2012 as well? nuggeteer.gif

I read in some other thread that the name Imam is mentioned 12 times also in the Quran. Subhan Allah blush.gif

I don't understand why some find it so hard to be a Twelver follower... ermm.gif

Edited by El Peace

bismillah.gif

salam.gif

And recall what time Musa prayed for drink for his people. We said: smite With thy staff the stone. Then there gushed forth thereout twelve springs; every people already knew their drinking-place; eat and drink of the provision of Allah, and commit not evil on the earth as corrupters. [1:60 Al-Quran]

according to a khutba of imam Sadiq asws: the twelve springs are the twelve imams asws and the water in other ahadees refer to seeking knowldge from them.

I am sorry but I can't remember which khutba it was but I am sure it is as I mentioned.

Ya Ali Madad

The number 12 is actually referring to the children of Israel (they were 12).

Prophet Ya'qub (as) had 12 sons, one being Prophet Yusuf (as). But is it good to relate the Imams (as) to Prophet Yusuf's brothers? :unsure:

Yes, 12 months is mentioned in the Quran.

The number of months in the sight of Allah is twelve (in a year)- so ordained by Him the day He created the heavens and the earth; of them four are sacred: that is the straight usage. So wrong not yourselves therein, and fight the Pagans all together as they fight you all together. But know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves [Al-Quran 9:36]

Also, the word "month" is mentioned in the Quran 12 times.

And perhaps 2012 as well? :squeez:

I read in some other thread that the name Imam is mentioned 12 times also in the Quran. Subhan Allah blush.gif

I don't understand why some find it so hard to be a Twelver follower... :donno:

I have heard tafseer of this ayat once by Syed Rizvi, but this is unconfirmed.

Anyways he said the following, The 12 months are the 12 Imam's (as) but here is the kicker what are the 4 holy Months???

Apparently this alludes to that fact that out of the 12 Imam's (atfs) there are 4 Imam's (as) who are named... ALI

1st, 4th, 8th, and 10th Imam (as) are named Ali, then the Syed explained further but I forgot what he said but anyways, the 4 holy months alludes to the 4 Imam's (as) that have their name as Ali.

(salam)

I don't mean to contradict the above ahadeeth, wAllahu Aalam.

The four holy months are 1, 7, 11, 12 (Muharram,Rajab, Dhul al Q'ada, Dhul al-Hijja)

1+7+11+12 = 31

3 + 1 = 4 subhan Allah

And if we apply the holy months numbers to number of Imam we get:

1. Ali ibn Abu Talib (as) #1

2. Musa ibn Jaafar (as) #7

3. Hassan ibn Ali (as) #11

4. Muhammad al-Mahdi (as) #12

Personally i apply the rule of 'la tufariq bayna ahadin min alrusuli' .. 'don't differentiate between the prophets' .. From Quran .. I apply this to the imams aleyhum salam as well. It is counter-productive to create any form of division among them because the have the same task in different settings.

There are some imams that might appeal more than others, but thats a personal preference (just like prophets) .. But in front of Allah, and according to Islam, it would be wrong for us to judge who is "better" or holier in front of Allah .. And ultimately their heavenly status based on their personal judgment by Allah.

In case my opinion upsets you, just ignore and don't take it seriously .. I don't take myself very seriously either.

(salam)