In the Name of God بسم الله

Imam Ali's Knowledge

Rate this topic

Leto

• Advanced Member

I was studying a book which contains several proverbs by Imam Ali which very much touched my soul because of their deep wisdom. It made me wonder how the Imam Ali attained such deep knowledge and divine wisdom. Did God commune with him or did he received his knowledge from the Prophet Muhammed? This question probably sounds very stupid to you but I am just beginning to learn about these matters and I am very keen to learn more.

• Advanced Member

salam,

Imam Ali (a.s) is regarded as the master of faithfuls and the master of the believers because of his level of wisdom, he and prophet Mohammad (pbuh) where the only two creatures who really knew God! And Imam Ali (a.s) before he passed away said to people ask me before you loose me, all these qualities where provided by the almighty creator Allah (swt) to the infallible, if you want here is a breif biography of Imam Ali (a.s), click HERE

If you want to read the best of philosophy and wisdom, you may want to read Nahjul Balagha (peak of eloquence) since it is truly a peak of eloquence, it has been translated in English, click HERE

• Advanced Member

salam,

Imam Ali (a.s) is regarded as the master of faithfuls and the master of the believers because of his level of wisdom, he and prophet Mohammad (pbuh) where the only two creatures who really knew God! And Imam Ali (a.s) before he passed away said to people ask me before you loose me, all these qualities where provided by the almighty creator Allah (swt) to the infallible, if you want here is a breif biography of Imam Ali (a.s), click HERE

If you want to read the best of philosophy and wisdom, you may want to read Nahjul Balagha (peak of eloquence) since it is truly a peak of eloquence, it has been translated in English, click HERE

Thank you! I've put it as e-book on my e-reader. It really is fascinating and appeals to my soul.

• Advanced Member

Thank you! I've put it as e-book on my e-reader. It really is fascinating and appeals to my soul.

You are certainly welcome, here is something else from the 6th infallible Imam Ja'far Alsadiq (a.s), its supplications but they are really nice utilizing wisdom and philosophy throughout, you can also download them and save them to your e-book as well.

click HERE

Let me know if you need anything else, id be happy to help.

• Moderators

If you are interested to know more about the life of Imam Ali (as), then i recommend you to buy a book called Sirat Amir Al-Mu Minin (It is in english language). It is a Biography of Imam Ali (as) with detailed information.

• Advanced Member

I got the Nahjul Balagha as a book now and I'm reading some of it every day. This book is a great guide for anyone who wants to go the way of virtue. I am really suprised it isn't more known in the West.

I'm trying to get the Sirat Amir Al-Mu Minin but the companies that sell it don't ship to my country (Holland). Too bad.

• Moderators

I got the Nahjul Balagha as a book now and I'm reading some of it every day. This book is a great guide for anyone who wants to go the way of virtue. I am really suprised it isn't more known in the West.

I'm trying to get the Sirat Amir Al-Mu Minin but the companies that sell it don't ship to my country (Holland). Too bad.

Try to buy it from Al-Khoei Online Book Store.

Here is the link of the book: http://www.al-khoei.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_47&products_id=1614&osCsid=c09ea1e642b86f4182646a99aaa3d200

A translation of " Sirat-e-Amir Al-Miminin" . The original book is written in Urdu language, which describes impressions of the life and achievements of Imam Ali a.s at length. The writer has made no efforts to make a colorful presentation nor to exagggerate any fact. Rather the facts presented, are free from the slightest element of bias. All the facts in this book have been presented in the light of authentic historical references. H/B Pgs. 720

• Advanced Member

I was studying a book which contains several proverbs by Imam Ali which very much touched my soul because of their deep wisdom. It made me wonder how the Imam Ali attained such deep knowledge and divine wisdom. Did God commune with him or did he received his knowledge from the Prophet Muhammed? This question probably sounds very stupid to you but I am just beginning to learn about these matters and I am very keen to learn more.

The more you read about him, the more astounded you will become. He got a lot of his knowledge from the Prophet (pbuh). Before the messenger passed away, Imam Ali (as) said that the Prophet (pbuh) had taught him 1000 gates of knowledge, with each gate opening another 1000 gates. There is also evidence that he was divinely inspired in addition to this and got knowledge directly from God. Either way, he was an ocean of knowledge.

If you want some good anecdotes from his life, check out this book:

The Voice of Human Justice

It's written by a Christian priest, which highlights he is a person for all religions.

Also check out Imam Ali (as)'s letter to Malik al-Ashtar. Malik was one of his governers who he sent to Egypt. This is a letter to him giving instructions on how to treat people. It is truly amazing. It is known as the most "just document of all time" and even the United Nations praised it and asked leaders to emulate the principles in the letter.

I hope one day he will be seen as a universal figure for all humankind, rather than one religion.

When we think of Ghandi, we don't say "what a great Hindu", we say "what a great person."

When we think of Martin Luther King, we don't say "what a great Christian", we say "what a great person."

Likewise, with Imam Ali (as), I'm hoping he's not considered just a "great Muslim leader", but a great human being.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the URL to the book. Like you I am convinced the philosphy and ethics of Imam Ali have meaning for the entire world. I am a Christian studying to become a priest and for me the thinking of Ali is of great meaning like that of other great minds like Cicero and Aristotle.

• Advanced Member

Nahjul-Balagha elevates the soul. Many times a day I want to read more in that unique book and I just grab it to absorb more of its eloquent wisdom. I am very grateful to have obtained this book of divine philosophy. It penetrates the mind and activates the heart. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

:angry: Nahjul-Balagha elevates the soul. Many times a day I want to read more in that unique book and I just grab it to absorb more of its eloquent wisdom. I am very grateful to have obtained this book of divine philosophy. It penetrates the mind and activates the heart. Thanks again! [Edited]

Edited by inshaAllah
Spam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jebreil

(bismillah)

(salam)

Seeing that you are studying to become a priest, it should be interesting for you to listen (English subtitled) a Shia Muslim scholar explicating the Significance of Imam Ali's appointment by the Prophet (as).

I am sure you are aware that for the followers of Ahlulbayt (as), the Day of Ghadeer - when the Prophet appointed the Imam as his successor - is the most significant Eid.

It is interesting that there are sayings in Tradition which point to this day as being the day in which Christ (as) appointed Peter (as), and Moses (as) appointed Joshua (as).

Anyhow, I am sure it would be interesting to hear this lecture, from the insider's point of view, which concerns the "ontological" status of Imam Ali in the Islamic faith.

God bless.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Good work brother Leto, Im all for humanity and it makes me happy to see you getting inspiration from Muslim texts. Ghandi, Nelson Mandella, Malcom X, Imam Ali these are true inspirations for all of humanity.

Good luck with the reasearch

Peace

• Veteran Member

Thanks for the URL to the book. Like you I am convinced the philosphy and ethics of Imam Ali have meaning for the entire world. I am a Christian studying to become a priest and for me the thinking of Ali is of great meaning like that of other great minds like Cicero and Aristotle.

It may also please you to know that others have walked your path who too were admirers of Imam Ali,

George Jordac as an example was a notable Christian researcher, who wrote: "The Voice Of Human Justice."

This may encourage you to pursue your studies a little further:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Muslim_view_of_Ali

Peace

• Advanced Member

It's a beautiful question.

• Advanced Member

The al-islam.org site is really a treasure of knowledge and inspiration. At the moment I am reading the "Journey of Tears" by Bashir Hassanali Rahim. Contemplating the life of Imam Husayn and realizing his sacrifice is a potent spiritual cure for sin. One understands the shame of being a slave to sin when he realizes that someone like Imam Husayn sacrificed everything to remain free and noble. It helps me a lot!

Edited by Leto

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Seeing that you are studying to become a priest, it should be interesting for you to listen (English subtitled) a Shia Muslim scholar explicating the Significance of Imam Ali's appointment by the Prophet (as).

I am sure you are aware that for the followers of Ahlulbayt (as), the Day of Ghadeer - when the Prophet appointed the Imam as his successor - is the most significant Eid.

It is interesting that there are sayings in Tradition which point to this day as being the day in which Christ (as) appointed Peter (as), and Moses (as) appointed Joshua (as).

Anyhow, I am sure it would be interesting to hear this lecture, from the insider's point of view, which concerns the "ontological" status of Imam Ali in the Islamic faith.

God bless.

(wasalam)

Thank you for showing me this great lecture. It's very interesting how the Ayatollah explains the nature of Imam Ali by sound philosophical reasoning. This sublime scholarship and intellectual honesty is exactly what I seek to gain better understanding of the Truth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Basic Members

Bismillah

Salam

Imam Ali (as) once went with his companion into a desert. His companion followed him. Imam Ali (as) then asked him, "Why are you following me?". He replied: "I want to see where my Imam is going. I want to come. " Then Imam Ali (as) told him to stop walking. Imam Ali told him to wait there. Imam Ali (as) went forward and the companion noticed that the Imam went deep inside a little ditch. The Imam then returned. The companion asked him, "Oh my Imam! Why did you go in the ditch? " Imam Ali (as) replied: " No one asks me enough. I was communicating to other creations so if they want to ask me any questions. " Then Imam Ali (as) said: "Inside me, knowledge is like a sea that is constantly hitting the shores." Imam Ali (as) used to say: "Salooni, Salooni, Qabla untuf Qadooni," which means "Ask me, Ask me, before I go Away."

If you want you more glimpse of Imam Ali (as)'s knowledge, then read Nahjul Balagha.

Now, to answer your question. Let's see what the Prophet (SAW) has said:

"Ali (as) was given 100 doors of knowledge from me, and he opened 1,000 more divided windows from these (doors). "

(the number may vary)

My interpretation:

Imam Ali (as) was educated through the light of Prophet Muhammad (SAW), and this knowledge was divine and pure. From this knowledge, Imam Ali (as) opened more windows, which means he himself discovered lots of hidden knowledge inside the education brought by Prophet Muhammad (SAW) from Allah.

And Only Allah Knows Best.

I Hope this Answers your Question

Wassalamualikum.

Let's see what the Prophet (SAW) has said:

"Ali (as) was given 100 doors of knowledge from me, and he opened 1,000 more divided windows from these (doors). "

(the number may vary)

My interpretation:

Imam Ali (as) was educated through the light of Prophet Muhammad (SAW), and this knowledge was divine and pure. From this knowledge, Imam Ali (as) opened more windows, which means he himself discovered lots of hidden knowledge inside the education brought by Prophet Muhammad (SAW) from Allah.

And Only Allah Knows Best.

I Hope this Answers your Question

Wassalamualikum.

• Advanced Member

Even as a christian I find much to admire about your Imam Ali. I enjoy reading his quotes and commentaries about him from the H.I.C. podcast that I listen to from time to time.

Such a remarkable man and an inspiration to all of humanity.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...