Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
pepsi_max

The Prophet Was Illiterate?

Rate this topic

As a Shia, i've been brought up to believe that the Prophet could read and write, but I've just become aware that Sunnis believe the Prophet was illiterate and the Quran says, "Those who follow the messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write..." [7:157]

I'd like clarifying from both sides of the argument if anyone can explain :)

It is historically accepted that the Prophet (saw) could neither read nor write before his prophethood.

The issue is whether he was able to after that point. Sunni's argue he could not, some Shia's argue he could.

Personally, I believe he could in so far as he had "ilm al ghayb"

The prophet could not read or write before he attained Prophethood. There is a hadees in which the Prophet (SAWS) replies to Gibraeel (as) when he is commanded to read saying " how can i read when i do not know how to " to which Gibraeel (as) replied by the God who will teach you things which you have known not. If i can remember correctly, this happened during the Prophet's visit to Mount Hira. If someone knows the exact hadees, would be nice to have it here.

So the fact that the Prophet knew not how to read or write (that he was illiterate) is accurate till he learn with the divine decree of Allah (SWT) thereafter the Prophet had made efforts to educate the new followers of Islam and this tradition was carried forward by Imam Ali (as) and the subsequent Imams (PBUT).

It is historically accepted that the Prophet (saw) could neither read nor write before his prophethood.

The issue is whether he was able to after that point. Sunni's argue he could not, some Shia's argue he could.

Personally, I believe he could in so far as he had "ilm al ghayb"

Salam bro, how do you adress the need for scribes in this case ?

Prophet (sawws) was created 14,000 years before Adam - He witnessed the creation of Adam (A).

Prophet (saw) has said, he was a prophet while Adam (A) was between water and clay. One cannot be a prophet if he does not have ilm.

To have in-depth ilm and yet one is unable to read or right does not sound logical.

Why would Allah give the ilm to prophet (sawws) and keep him illiterate - for what reason?

unless some one comes up with a logical answer, it would be foolish and illogical to believe prophet sawws) was illiterate.

Beside Sayied ul Ambiah is supposed to have higher qualities than other ambiah.

If nabi Isa (A) could talk when he was a baby, just born (Allah miracle) - It would be far out of place to say prophet (sawws) could not even read until he was over 40 years old.

Edited by Ali Fazel

According to the quran Umm means center or resting place.

فَأُمُّهُ هَاوِيَةٌ {9}

[shakir 101:9] His abode shall be the abyss.

I think Why mother is called umm because seed rest in the womb of mother

ثُمَّ جَعَلْنَاهُ نُطْفَةً فِي قَرَارٍ مَكِينٍ {13}

[shakir 23:13] Then We made him a small seed in a firm resting-place,

All messenger were sent to the umm of towns e.g.in metropolis

وَمَا كَانَ رَبُّكَ مُهْلِكَ الْقُرَىٰ حَتَّىٰ يَبْعَثَ فِي أُمِّهَا رَسُولًا يَتْلُو عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتِنَا ۚ وَمَا كُنَّا مُهْلِكِي الْقُرَىٰ إِلَّا وَأَهْلُهَا ظَالِمُونَ {59}

[shakir 28:59] And your Lord never destroyed the towns until He raised in their metropolis a messenger, reciting to them Our communications, and We never destroyed the towns except when their people were unjust.

وَلَوْ شِئْنَا لَبَعَثْنَا فِي كُلِّ قَرْيَةٍ نَذِيرًا {51}

[shakir 25:51] And if We had pleased We would certainly have raised a warner in every town.

Allah subhanhu did’nt send messenger in each and evey town but in metropolis.

وَهَٰذَا كِتَابٌ أَنْزَلْنَاهُ مُبَارَكٌ مُصَدِّقُ الَّذِي بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ وَلِتُنْذِرَ أُمَّ الْقُرَىٰ وَمَنْ حَوْلَهَا ۚ وَالَّذِينَ يُؤْمِنُونَ بِالْآخِرَةِ يُؤْمِنُونَ بِهِ ۖ وَهُمْ عَلَىٰ صَلَاتِهِمْ يُحَافِظُونَ {92}

[shakir 6:92] And this is a Book We have revealed, blessed, verifying that which is before it, and that you may warn the metropolis and those around her; and those who believe in the hereafter believe in it, and they attend to their prayers constantly.

Makkah is described as metropolis in verse 6:92 And inhabitants of Metropolis is Ummi

Prophet Mohammad(saw) was inhabitant of Makka in that sense he was Ummi

هُوَ الَّذِي بَعَثَ فِي الْأُمِّيِّينَ رَسُولًا مِنْهُمْ يَتْلُو عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتِهِ وَيُزَكِّيهِمْ وَيُعَلِّمُهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ وَإِنْ كَانُوا مِنْ قَبْلُ لَفِي ضَلَالٍ مُبِينٍ {2}

[shakir 62:2] He it is Who raised among the inhabitants of Mecca an Messenger from among themselves, who recites to them His communications and purifies them, and teaches them the Book and the Wisdom, although they were before certainly in clear error,

Edited by elite

(salam)

(bismillah)

I have made a blog post on my blog where I have presented a SaHeeH hadeeth where our Imaams (as) have stated the literacy status of our Prophet (pbuh). This hadeeth is mentioned in the chapter titled "The reason behind the Prophet being named Ummi".

Click here: Reason Behind the Prophet (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå æÓáã) being Named Ummi

Enjoy!

(salam)

(salam)

(bismillah)

I have made a blog post on my blog where I have presented a SaHeeH hadeeth where our Imaams (as) have stated the literacy status of our Prophet (pbuh). This hadeeth is mentioned in the chapter titled "The reason behind the Prophet being named Ummi".

Click here: Reason Behind the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) being Named Ummi

Enjoy!

(salam)

(salam)

What is your opinion about following ahadith?

Al-Saffar (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Narrated Ali bin Asba`t or [and] others who had said: "I said to Abu` Jafar (al-Jawad): 'People claim that the Prophet (peace be upon him and his pure family) could neither read nor write!' So, he, peace be upon him, denied that and said: 'They have lied, May the wrath of Allah be upon them! How would that be? When Allah, the Exalted, has said: '(It is) He who raised among the Ummīyīna (i.e. maternals) a Messenger from amongst them, reciting upon them His signs and purifying them and teaching them the Book and the wisdom; even though beforehand they were in a clear straying' How did he teach them the Book and the Wisdom while he could neither read nor write?’

Then Ali bin Asba`t asked the Imam: "Why was he called al-Nabi al-Ummi? To which the Imam (peace be upon him) replied: "Because he was ascribed to Mecca. That is according to the words of Allah, the Most Exalted: 'That you may warn Umm al-Qura` (i.e. the mother of villages) and those around it.' Umm al-Qura` means Mecca. So, he was called Ummi.” (Basair al-darajat, By al-Saffar, vol. 5, p. 246).

Furthermore, al-Saduq (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Narrated Ja’far ibn Muhammad al-Sufi: “I asked Abu Ja’far Muhammad son of Ali al-Rida (peace be upon them both) saying: ‘O son of Allah’s Apostle, why was the Prophet called Ummi?’ He answered: ‘What do the people say?’ I said: ‘They claim that he was called Ummi because he was illiterate.

“He replied: ‘They lie! May the curse of Allah be upon them, Allah has clearly said in His Book: ‘(It is) He who raised among the Ummīyīna (i.e. maternals) a Messenger from amongst them, reciting upon them His signs and purifying them and teaching them the Book and the wisdom’ How would he teach what he himself could not do?

“By Allah, Allah’s Apostle (peace be upon him and his pure family) used to read and write in 72, or he said 73, languages. He was called Ummi because he was from Mecca. Mecca is one of the mother towns, and this is why Allah the Most Exalted has said: ‘So that you (Muhammad) may warn the mother of villages (i.e. Mecca) and whoever is around it’.” (Ma’ani al-Akhbar, By al-Saduq, p. 53).

http://alqatrah.net/en/question/index.php?id=77

Edited by elite

(salam)

(bismillah)

Both hadeeth are da`eef.

Al-Saffar (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Narrated Ali bin Asba`t or [and] others who had said: "I said to Abu` Jafar (al-Jawad): 'People claim that the Prophet (peace be upon him and his pure family) could neither read nor write!' So, he, peace be upon him, denied that and said: 'They have lied, May the wrath of Allah be upon them! How would that be? When Allah, the Exalted, has said: '(It is) He who raised among the Ummīyīna (i.e. maternals) a Messenger from amongst them, reciting upon them His signs and purifying them and teaching them the Book and the wisdom; even though beforehand they were in a clear straying' How did he teach them the Book and the Wisdom while he could neither read nor write?’

Then Ali bin Asba`t asked the Imam: "Why was he called al-Nabi al-Ummi? To which the Imam (peace be upon him) replied: "Because he was ascribed to Mecca. That is according to the words of Allah, the Most Exalted: 'That you may warn Umm al-Qura` (i.e. the mother of villages) and those around it.' Umm al-Qura` means Mecca. So, he was called Ummi.” (Basair al-darajat, By al-Saffar, vol. 5, p. 246).

There are many things wrong with this hadeeth. First, the book that it comes from "BaSaa'ir Al-Darajaat" has many ikhtilaaf regarding the book. It has been said to contain some ghuluww things, and if you were to read the hadeeth in there, there are a lot of ghuluww things in this book. But I am not one to reject a whole book, I look to individual narrations. I was merely pointing out that this wouldn't be considered great proof. The book is ascribed to Muhammad bin Al-Hasan Al-Saffaar (ãÍãÏ Èä ÇáÍÓä ÇáÕÝÇÑ), a great companion and muHaddith.

Here is the hadeeth:

ÍÏËäÇ ÚÈÏ Çááå Èä ãÍãÏ Úä ÇáÍÓä Èä ãæÓì ÇáÎÔÇÈ Úä Úáí Èä ÃÓÈÇØ Ãæ ÛíÑå ÞÇá ÞáÊ áÃÈí ÌÚÝÑ Ú Åä ÇáäÇÓ íÒÚãæä Ãä ÑÓæá Çááå áã íßä íßÊÈ æ áÇ íÞÑà ÝÞÇá ßÐÈæÇ áÚäåã Çááå Ãäì Ðáß æ ÞÏ ÞÇá Çááå åõæó ÇáóøÐöí ÈóÚóËó Ýöí ÇáúÃõãöøíöøíäó ÑóÓõæáðÇ ãöäúåõãú íóÊúáõæÇ Úóáóíúåöãú ÂíÇÊöåö æó íõÒóßöøíåöãú æó íõÚóáöøãõåõãõ ÇáúßöÊÇÈó æó ÇáúÍößúãóÉó æó Åöäú ßÇäõæÇ ãöäú ÞóÈúáõ áóÝöí ÖóáÇáò ãõÈöíäò Ýíßæä Ãä íÚáãåã ÇáßÊÇÈ æ ÇáÍßãÉ æ áíÓ íÍÓä Ãä íÞÑà æ íßÊÈ ÞÇá ÞáÊ Ýáã Óãí ÇáäÈí ÃãíÇ ÞÇá äÓÈÊ Åáì ãßÉ æ Ðáß Þæá Çááå ÚÒ æ Ìá áöÊõäúÐöÑó Ãõãóø ÇáúÞõÑìþ æó ãóäú ÍóæúáóåÇ ÝÃã ÇáÞÑìþãßÉ ÝÞíá Ããí áÐáß

The issue is that there is a majhool (unknown) narrator. His name is ÚÈÏ Çááå Èä ãÍãÏ a more specific name for this person is ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÚöíÓóì. And this guy is said to be majhool (unknown) according to Al-Khoei in his Mu`jam Rijaal Al-Hadeeth, vol. 10, pg. 312, person # 7128. I find out that it was ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÚöíÓóì after some research.

Here are the number of people who we get ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÚöíÓóì hadeeth from, Taken from Al-Khoei's Mu`jam, vol. 10, pg. 312, person # 7128:

æ Ñæì Úäå ÓÚÏ æ ÓÚÏ Èä ÚÈÏ Çááå æ Úáí Èä ÅÈÑÇåíã æ ãÍãÏ Èä ÇáÍÓä ÇáÕÝÇÑ æ ãÍãÏ Èä íÍíì æ ÇáÍãíÑí.

Another way I found out which `Abd Allaah bin Muhammad it was, was to look at other chains that they are both mentioned.

ãõÍóãóøÏõ Èúäõ ÇáúÍóÓóäö ÇáÕóøÝóøÇÑõ Úóäú ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÚöíÓóì Úóäú Úóáöíöø Èúäö ãóåúÒöíóÇÑó ÞóÇáó ÃóÎúÈóÑóäöí ÅöÓúÍóÇÞõ Èúäõ ÅöÈúÑóÇåöíãó Ãóäóø ãõæÓóì Èúäó ÚóÈúÏö Çáúãóáößö ßóÊóÈó Åöáóì ÃóÈöí ÌóÚúÝóÑò Ú

• Source:
  • Al-Toosi, Al-IstibSaar, vol. 3, ch. 27, pg. 52, hadeeth # 4

ãõÍóãóøÏõ Èúäõ ÇáúÍóÓóäö ÇáÕóøÝóøÇÑõ Úóäú ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÚöíÓóì Úóäú Úóáöíöø Èúäö ãóåúÒöíóÇÑó ÞóÇáó ÃóÎúÈóÑóäöí ÅöÓúÍóÇÞõ Èúäõ ÅöÈúÑóÇåöíãó Ãóäóø ãõæÓóì Èúäó ÚóÈúÏö Çáúãóáößö ßóÊóÈóþ

• Source:
  • Al-Toosi, Tahdheeb Al-aHkaam, vol. 6, ch. 93, pg. 348, hadeeth # 105

Based off of that, we can see that the person in the chain is `Abd Allaah bin Muhammad bin `Eesa who is considered majhool (unknown) since there is no tawtheeq (authenticity) for him.

Furthermore, al-Saduq (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Narrated Ja’far ibn Muhammad al-Sufi: “I asked Abu Ja’far Muhammad son of Ali al-Rida (peace be upon them both) saying: ‘O son of Allah’s Apostle, why was the Prophet called Ummi?’ He answered: ‘What do the people say?’ I said: ‘They claim that he was called Ummi because he was illiterate.

“He replied: ‘They lie! May the curse of Allah be upon them, Allah has clearly said in His Book: ‘(It is) He who raised among the Ummīyīna (i.e. maternals) a Messenger from amongst them, reciting upon them His signs and purifying them and teaching them the Book and the wisdom’ How would he teach what he himself could not do?

“By Allah, Allah’s Apostle (peace be upon him and his pure family) used to read and write in 72, or he said 73, languages. He was called Ummi because he was from Mecca. Mecca is one of the mother towns, and this is why Allah the Most Exalted has said: ‘So that you (Muhammad) may warn the mother of villages (i.e. Mecca) and whoever is around it’.” (Ma’ani al-Akhbar, By al-Saduq, p. 53).

http://alqatrah.net/en/question/index.php?id=77

I have already discussed this hadeeth in my blog post. The primary narrator who directly takes hadeeth from the Imaam (as) is Ja`far bin Muhammad Al-Soofee. This guy is majhool (unknown), he is NOT even mentioned in ANY classical Rijaal book. He isn't even mentioned in Al-Khoei's Mu`jam. So this guy is hardcore majhool (unknown).

Since we already have a highly saheeh hadeeth that contradicts both hadeeth, we MUST to reject these hadeeth.

(salam)

(salam)

(bismillah)

Both hadeeth are da`eef.

There are many things wrong with this hadeeth. First, the book that it comes from "BaSaa'ir Al-Darajaat" has many ikhtilaaf regarding the book. It has been said to contain some ghuluww things, and if you were to read the hadeeth in there, there are a lot of ghuluww things in this book. But I am not one to reject a whole book, I look to individual narrations. I was merely pointing out that this wouldn't be considered great proof. The book is ascribed to Muhammad bin Al-Hasan Al-Saffaar (ãÍãÏ Èä ÇáÍÓä ÇáÕÝÇÑ), a great companion and muHaddith.

Here is the hadeeth:

ÍÏËäÇ ÚÈÏ Çááå Èä ãÍãÏ Úä ÇáÍÓä Èä ãæÓì ÇáÎÔÇÈ Úä Úáí Èä ÃÓÈÇØ Ãæ ÛíÑå ÞÇá ÞáÊ áÃÈí ÌÚÝÑ Ú Åä ÇáäÇÓ íÒÚãæä Ãä ÑÓæá Çááå áã íßä íßÊÈ æ áÇ íÞÑà ÝÞÇá ßÐÈæÇ áÚäåã Çááå Ãäì Ðáß æ ÞÏ ÞÇá Çááå åõæó ÇáóøÐöí ÈóÚóËó Ýöí ÇáúÃõãöøíöøíäó ÑóÓõæáðÇ ãöäúåõãú íóÊúáõæÇ Úóáóíúåöãú ÂíÇÊöåö æó íõÒóßöøíåöãú æó íõÚóáöøãõåõãõ ÇáúßöÊÇÈó æó ÇáúÍößúãóÉó æó Åöäú ßÇäõæÇ ãöäú ÞóÈúáõ áóÝöí ÖóáÇáò ãõÈöíäò Ýíßæä Ãä íÚáãåã ÇáßÊÇÈ æ ÇáÍßãÉ æ áíÓ íÍÓä Ãä íÞÑà æ íßÊÈ ÞÇá ÞáÊ Ýáã Óãí ÇáäÈí ÃãíÇ ÞÇá äÓÈÊ Åáì ãßÉ æ Ðáß Þæá Çááå ÚÒ æ Ìá áöÊõäúÐöÑó Ãõãóø ÇáúÞõÑìþ æó ãóäú ÍóæúáóåÇ ÝÃã ÇáÞÑìþãßÉ ÝÞíá Ããí áÐáß

The issue is that there is a majhool (unknown) narrator. His name is ÚÈÏ Çááå Èä ãÍãÏ a more specific name for this person is ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÚöíÓóì. And this guy is said to be majhool (unknown) according to Al-Khoei in his Mu`jam Rijaal Al-Hadeeth, vol. 10, pg. 312, person # 7128. I find out that it was ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÚöíÓóì after some research.

Here are the number of people who we get ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÚöíÓóì hadeeth from, Taken from Al-Khoei's Mu`jam, vol. 10, pg. 312, person # 7128:

æ Ñæì Úäå ÓÚÏ æ ÓÚÏ Èä ÚÈÏ Çááå æ Úáí Èä ÅÈÑÇåíã æ ãÍãÏ Èä ÇáÍÓä ÇáÕÝÇÑ æ ãÍãÏ Èä íÍíì æ ÇáÍãíÑí.

Another way I found out which `Abd Allaah bin Muhammad it was, was to look at other chains that they are both mentioned.

ãõÍóãóøÏõ Èúäõ ÇáúÍóÓóäö ÇáÕóøÝóøÇÑõ Úóäú ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÚöíÓóì Úóäú Úóáöíöø Èúäö ãóåúÒöíóÇÑó ÞóÇáó ÃóÎúÈóÑóäöí ÅöÓúÍóÇÞõ Èúäõ ÅöÈúÑóÇåöíãó Ãóäóø ãõæÓóì Èúäó ÚóÈúÏö Çáúãóáößö ßóÊóÈó Åöáóì ÃóÈöí ÌóÚúÝóÑò Ú

• Source:
  • Al-Toosi, Al-IstibSaar, vol. 3, ch. 27, pg. 52, hadeeth # 4

ãõÍóãóøÏõ Èúäõ ÇáúÍóÓóäö ÇáÕóøÝóøÇÑõ Úóäú ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÚöíÓóì Úóäú Úóáöíöø Èúäö ãóåúÒöíóÇÑó ÞóÇáó ÃóÎúÈóÑóäöí ÅöÓúÍóÇÞõ Èúäõ ÅöÈúÑóÇåöíãó Ãóäóø ãõæÓóì Èúäó ÚóÈúÏö Çáúãóáößö ßóÊóÈóþ

• Source:
  • Al-Toosi, Tahdheeb Al-aHkaam, vol. 6, ch. 93, pg. 348, hadeeth # 105

Based off of that, we can see that the person in the chain is `Abd Allaah bin Muhammad bin `Eesa who is considered majhool (unknown) since there is no tawtheeq (authenticity) for him.

I have already discussed this hadeeth in my blog post. The primary narrator who directly takes hadeeth from the Imaam (as) is Ja`far bin Muhammad Al-Soofee. This guy is majhool (unknown), he is NOT even mentioned in ANY classical Rijaal book. He isn't even mentioned in Al-Khoei's Mu`jam. So this guy is hardcore majhool (unknown).

(salam)

Jazakallah brother

Since we already have a highly saheeh hadeeth that contradicts both hadeeth, we MUST to reject these hadeeth.

"From Hishaam bin Saalim from Abee `Abd Allaah (Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã) said: The Prophet (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå æÓáã) used to (or, would) read/recite the book, but not write.”

Just based on the words of above Sahih hadeeth how do you convince to me that the hadeeth is explaining meaning of word Ummi?

(salam)

[29:48] And you did not recite before it from book, nor did you transcribe one with your right hand, In that case, indeed, would "mub'ṭilūna" have doubted.

mub'ṭilūna (مُبْطِلُونَ): falsifiers means “who are Batil”

Reading and writing of prophet(saw) was only according to command of Allah subhanhu

[21:27] They speak not until He hath spoken, and they act by His command.

"And you did not recite before it from book." ”Before it” means before commanded to do so.

Prophrt(saw) didn’t recited from the book till Allah subhanhu commanded him to recite what was inspired to him from the book.

Command of Allah subhanhu to recite inspiration

[29:45] Recite that which has been inspired to you from the Book and keep up prayer

"nor did you write it with your right hand, In that case, indeed, would mub'ṭilūna have doubted ".

When Prophet(saw) did not write it (what is inspired to him from book) in that case mub'ṭilūna have doubted for writing ability of the prophet(saw)

and verse 29:48 is supported by the sahih hadith

From Hishaam bin Saalim from Abee `Abd Allaah (عليه السلام) said: The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) used to (or, would) read/recite the book, but not write.”

Source:

1. Al-Sadooq, Ilal Al-Sharaa’i`, vol. 1, ch. 105, pg. 126, hadeeth # 6

So as per verse 29:48 we must not doubt reading &writing ability of prophet(saw)

These “mub'ṭilūna” can be identified from incident of pen and paper

Otherwise disbelievers have already doubted for the prophet(saw) as fabricator of quran.(Naudobillah)

[25:5] And they say: The stories of the ancients-- he has written them-- so that they are dictated to him morning and evening.

[shakir 52:33] Or do they say: He has forged it. Nay! they do not believe.

[shakir 52:34] Then let them bring an announcement like it if they are truthful.

[Yusufali 16:103] We know indeed that they say, "It is a man that teaches him." The tongue of him they wickedly point to is notably foreign, while this is Arabic, pure and clear.

Edited by elite

salam

The answer is Here:

Quran said: our holy prophet was OMMI , it means someone who never wrote or read before, But it doesn't mean that He couldn't !!!!!!

He could read and write, but He didn't do that....This is the meaning of Ommi.

---------------------------------------------

salam

The answer is Here:

Quran said: our holy prophet was OMMI , it means someone who never wrote or read before, But it doesn't mean that He couldn't !!!!!!

He could read and write, but He didn't do that....This is the meaning of Ommi.

---------------------------------------------

(salam)

Word “umm” is from root word “Alif Miim Miim” and its different derivatives used in quran have following meanings.

abode/resting place :101:9

Center :also the point at which all things meet (junction) is called ‘umm’. Like the Mekkah is called ‘ummul Qura’

Group: tilka ummatun qad khalat: 3:134 It was an ummat (nation) which has passed (is no more). At another place it is said: inna hazehi umatokum wahidah: 21:92 Surely your ummat (nation) is one (unique)

Leader: Imam

time, period: 12:45

Mother.

Ibn Faris says it

has four basic meanings:1) basis, 2)junction 3)group and 4) deen ( way of life ).

Basis: the basis of everything

ummul qaum means the chief (ameer) of the ummat (nation).: ummul nujum means the milky way; ummur raas means the mind;

(salam)

Word "umm" is from root word "Alif Miim Miim" and its different derivatives used in quran have following meanings.

abode/resting place :101:9

Center :also the point at which all things meet (junction) is called 'umm'. Like the Mekkah is called 'ummul Qura'

Group: tilka ummatun qad khalat: 3:134 It was an ummat (nation) which has passed (is no more). At another place it is said: inna hazehi umatokum wahidah: 21:92 Surely your ummat (nation) is one (unique)

Leader: Imam

time, period: 12:45

Mother.

Ibn Faris says it

has four basic meanings:1) basis, 2)junction 3)group and 4) deen ( way of life ).

Basis: the basis of everything

ummul qaum means the chief (ameer) of the ummat (nation).: ummul nujum means the milky way; ummur raas means the mind;

That's right But you forgot to say something:

About Ummi what is famous is that calling our prophet UMMI, has two reasons :

Maybe that's as because of being in Mekka ( as you mentioned)

and Maybe that's as because He never studied and wrote ( like other people) before.

the second meaning is the most famous meaning between scholars.

The only reason Sunnis refuse to acknowledge his literacy is to protect Umar's name in the Tragedy of Thursday.

Good observation and that proves Umar stating Prophet (pbuh) was speaking in delirium (astagfurullah) when he wanted to make a will.

Similarly Umar tearing the will of Prophet (pbuh) that fadak belongs to Fatima (as) is a contraindication of him not being a learned person.

and how can one deny the literacy of Prophet (pbuh) from Quran the very the first word of its first verse says to the Prophet (pbuh) to read

[shakir 96:1] Read in the name of your Lord Who created.

and the prophet (pbuh) was a living example for everyone how could one being the best example be illiterate. Moreover Allah does not like anyone to preach what they do not practice.

[shakir 61:2] O you who believe! why do you say that which you do not do

[shakir 61:3] It is most hateful to Allah that you should say that which you do not do.

and they are countless examples of Prophet stressing on education in Ahadith.

That's right But you forgot to say something:

About Ummi what is famous is that calling our prophet UMMI, has two reasons :

Maybe that's as because of being in Mekka ( as you mentioned)

and Maybe that's as because He never studied and wrote ( like other people) before.

the second meaning is the most famous meaning between scholars.

(salam)

If we accept the second meaning in that case it can be applicable to other persons also

Because prophet(saw) was one “ from among themselves(ummiyyin)” plural of ummi 62:2

That means prophet(saw) was one ummi from group of 'ummiyyin"

What about people mentioned as “ummiyyin” in verse 3:75 ?

Edited by elite

The only reason Sunnis refuse to acknowledge his literacy is to protect Umar's name in the Tragedy of Thursday.

Surely that would make it worse for them?

The Prophets request for the pen and paper would prove that he would simply talk, whilst others wrote, which is a far less burden than him having to write it himself which puts Umar in a more difficult situation.

Unless Sunni's were to accept that he actually was speaking nonsense, in which case, they are idiots

(salam)

If we accept the second meaning in that case it can be applicable to other persons also

Because prophet(saw) was one “ from among themselves(ummiyyin)” plural of ummi 62:2

That means prophet(saw) was one ummi from group of 'ummiyyin"

What about people mentioned as “ummiyyin” in verse 3:75 ?

salam

The word "Umieen" has mentioned in Quran for 3 times.

first in Ale Emran/20 : here it means the group who can't read and write ( it mentions to Moshrekin)

second: Ale Emran/75 : Here also it used in meaning of who can't read and write (Jews called others" Umieen")

Third Jome/2 : Here again it means the people who didn't study and can't read and write.

( Tafseer Almizan, etc)

Now if you mean "Omol Qura" , yes it means the people who live around Mecca.

Surely that would make it worse for them?

The Prophets request for the pen and paper would prove that he would simply talk, whilst others wrote, which is a far less burden than him having to write it himself which puts Umar in a more difficult situation.

Unless Sunni's were to accept that he actually was speaking nonsense, in which case, they are idiots

Not exactly something new. Sunnis bring up poor excuses and expect people to believe them. And it's not stupidity, its rejection. If it was stupidity, then their situation would be much less dire.

A written will would be much more valid in the case of successorship, and even more from the Prophet's (pbuh) hand. He's sick, not paralyzed. Writing a note on a piece of paper isn't exactly a burden (what is a burden is to yell at Umar and his followers to get out). Umar didn't want the will to be written, period. Out of his greedy intentions, he proposed that the Quran is enough for Muslims (obviously not). It would be a problem if a written successor is used against him.

Either the six Sunni books are wrong or right they all say he pbuh&hf wrote and read. I can't find one Hadith saying he couldn't. 

Judge for yourself.  

1) Volume 3, Book 30, Number 94:

Narrated 'Ali:

We have nothing except the Book of Allah and thiswritten paper from the Prophet (where-in is written:) Medina is a sanctuary from the 'Air Mountain to such and such a place, and whoever innovates in it an heresy or commits a sin, or gives shelter to such an innovator in it will incur the curse of Allah, the angels, and all the people, none of his compulsory or optional good deeds of worship will be accepted. And the asylum (of protection) granted by any Muslim is to be secured (respected) by all the other Muslims; and whoever betrays a Muslim in this respect incurs the curse of Allah, the angels, and all the people, and none of his compulsory or optional good deeds of worship will be accepted, and whoever (freed slave) befriends (take as masters) other than his manumitterswithout their permission incurs the curse of Allah, the angels, and all the people, and none of his compulsory or optional good deeds of worship will be accepted.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/030.sbt.html#003.030.094

2)  Book 9, Number 1574:

Narrated Someone who accompanied the collector of the Prophet:

Suwayd ibn Ghaflah said: I went myself or someone who accompanied the collector of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) told me: It was recorded in the document written by the Apostle of Allah (peace_beupon_him) not to accept a milking goat or she-camel or a (suckling) baby (as zakat on animals); and those which are in separate flocks are not to be brought together, and those which are in one flock are not to be separated.

The collector used to visit the water-hole when the sheep went there and say: Pay the sadaqah (zakat) on your property. The narrator said: A man wanted to give him his high-humped camel (kawma'). The narrator (Hilal) asked: What is kawma', AbuSalih? He said: A camel a high hump.

The narrator continued: He (the collector) refused to accept it. He said: I wish you could take the best of my camels. He refused to accept it. He then brought another camel lower in quality than the previous one. He refused to accept it too. He then brought another camel lower in quality than the previous one. He accepted it, saying: I shall take it, but I am afraid the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) might be angry with me, saying to me: You have purposely taken from a man a camel of your choice.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/009.sat.html#009.1574

3) Book 32, Number 4116:

Narrated Abdullah ibn Ukaym,:

Al-Hakam ibn Uyaynah said that he went along with some people to Abdullah ibn Ukaym, a man of Juhaynah.al-Hakam said: They entered and I sat at the door. Then they came out and told me that Abdullah ibn Ukaym had informed them that the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) had written to Juhaynah one month before his death: Do not make use of the skin or sinew of an animal which died a natural death.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/032.sat.html#032.4116

4) Book 14, Number 2755:

Narrated Nu'aym ibn Mas'ud:

I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) say when he read the letter of Musaylimah: What do you believe yourselves? They said: We believe as he believes. He said: I swear by Allah that were it not that messengersare not killed, I would cut off your heads.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/014.sat.html#014.2755

5)  Volume 7, Book 62, Number 88:

Narrated 'Ursa:

The Prophet wrote the (marriage contract) with 'Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/062.sbt.html#007.062.088

6) Volume 1, Book 3, Number 65:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Once the Prophet wrote a letter or had an idea of writing a letter. The Prophet was told that they (rulers) would not read letters unless they were sealed. So the Prophet got a silver ring made with "Muhammad Allah's Apostle" engraved on it. As if I were just observing its white glitter in the hand of the Prophet

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/hadith/bukhari/003.sbt.html

7) Volume 3, Book 49, Number 863:

Narrated Al-Bara:

When the Prophet intended to perform 'Umra in the month of Dhul-Qada, the people of Mecca did not let him enter Mecca till he settled the matter with them by promising to stay in it for three days only. When the document of treaty was written, the following was mentioned: 'These are the terms on which Muhammad, Allah's Apostle agreed (to make peace).' They said, "We will not agree to this, for if we believed that you are Allah's Apostle we would not prevent you, but you are Muhammad bin 'Abdullah." The Prophet said, "I am Allah's Apostle and also Muhammad bin 'Abdullah." Then he said to 'Ali, "Rub off (the words) 'Allah's Apostle' ", but 'Ali said, "No, by Allah, I will never rub off your name." So, Allah's Apostle took the document and wrote, 'This is what Muhammad bin 'Abdullah has agreed upon: No arms will be brought into Mecca except in their cases, and nobody from the people of Mecca will be allowed to go with him (i.e. the Prophet ) even if he wished to follow him and he (the Prophet ) will not prevent any of his companions from staying in Mecca if the latter wants to stay.' When the Prophet entered Mecca and the time limit passed, the Meccans went to 'Ali and said, "Tell your Friend (i.e. the Prophet ) to go out, as the period (agreed to) has passed." So, the Prophet went out of Mecca. The daughter of Hamza ran after them (i.e. the Prophet and his companions), calling, "O Uncle! O Uncle!" 'Ali received her and led her by the hand and said to Fatima, "Take your uncle's daughter." Zaid and Ja'far quarrel ed about her. 'Ali said, "I have more right to her as she is my uncle's daughter." Ja'far said, "She is my uncle's daughter, and her aunt is my wife." Zaid said, "She is my brother's daughter." The Prophet judged that she should be given to her aunt, and said that the aunt was like the mother. He then said to 'All, "You are from me and I am from you", and said to Ja'far, "You resemble me both in character and appearance", and said to Zaid, "You are our brother (in faith) and our freed slave."

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/hadith/bukhari/049.sbt.html

8) Volume 4, Book 52, Number 187:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Abbas:

Allah's Apostle wrote a letter to Caesar saying, "If you reject Islam, you will be responsible for the sins of the peasants (i.e. your people)."

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/hadith/bukhari/052.sbt.html

9) Volume 4, Book 52, Number 191:

Narrated Abdullah bin Abbas:

Allah's Apostle wrote to Caesar and invited him to Islam and sent him his letter with Dihya Al-Kalbi whom Allah's Apostle ordered to hand it over to the Governor ofBusra who would forward it to Caesar. Caesar as a sign of gratitude to Allah, had walked from Hims to Ilya (i.e. Jerusalem) when Allah had granted Him victory over the Persian forces. So, when the letter of Allah's Apostle reached Caesar, he said after reading t, 'Seek for me any one of his people! (Arabs of Quraish tribe) if present here, in order to ask him about Allah's Apostle. At that time Abu Sufyan bin Harb was in Sham with some men frownQuraish who had come (to Sham) as merchants during the truce that had been concluded between Allah's Apostle

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/hadith/bukhari/052.sbt.html

10) Volume 4, Book 53, Number 387:

Narrated Abu Humaid As-Saidi:

We accompanied the Prophet in the Ghazwa of Tabuk and the king of 'Aila presented a white mule and a cloak as a gift to the Prophet. And the Prophet wrote to him a peace treaty allowing him to keep authority over his country.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/hadith/bukhari/053.sbt.html

11) Volume 5, Book 59, Number 553:

Narrated Al-Bara:

When the Prophet went out for the 'Umra in the month of Dhal-Qa'da, the people of Mecca did not allow him to enter Mecca till he agreed to conclude a peace treaty with them by virtue of which he would stay in Mecca for three days only (in the following year). When the agreement was being written, the Muslims wrote: "This is the peace treaty, which Muhammad, Apostle of Allah has concluded."

The infidels said (to the Prophet), "We do not agree with you on this, for if we knew that you are Apostle of Allah we would not have prevented you for anything (i.e. entering Mecca, etc.), but you are Muhammad, the son of 'Abdullah." Then he said to 'Ali, "Erase (the name of) 'Apostle of Allah'." 'Ali said, "No, by Allah, I will never erase you (i.e. your name)." Then Allah's Apostle took the writing sheet...and he did not know a better writing..and he wrote or got it the following written! "This is the peace treaty which Muhammad, the son of 'Abdullah, has concluded: "Muhammad should not bring arms into Mecca except sheathed swords, and should not take with him any person of the people of Mecca even if such a person wanted to follow him, and if any of his companions wants to stay in Mecca, he should not forbid him."

(In the next year) when the Prophet entered Mecca and the allowed period of stay elapsed, the infidels came to Ali and said "Tell your companion (Muhammad) to go out, as the allowed period of his stay has finished." So the Prophet departed (from Mecca) and the daughter of Hamzafollowed him shouting "O Uncle, O Uncle!" Ali took her by the hand and said to Fatima, "Take the daughter of your uncle." So she made her ride (on her horse). (When they reached Medina) 'Ali, Zaid and Ja'far quarreled about her. 'Ali said, "I took her for she is the daughter of my uncle."Ja'far said, "She is the daughter of my uncle and her aunt is my wife." Zaid said, "She is the daughter of my brother." On that, the Prophet gave her to her aunt and said, "The aunt is of the same status as the mother." He then said to 'Ali, "You are from me, and I am from you," and said to Ja'far, "You resemble me in appearance and character," and said to Zaid, "You are our brother and our freed slave." 'Ali said to the Prophet 'Won't you marry the daughter of Hamza?" The Prophet said, "She is the daughter of my foster brother."

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/hadith/bukhari/059.sbt.html

12) Volume 6, Book 60, Number 117:

Narrated Al-Bara:

When the Verse:-- "Not equal are those of the believers who sit (at home)" (4.95) was revealed, Allah Apostlecalled for Zaid who wrote it. In the meantime Ibn UmMaktum came and complained of his blindness, so Allah revealed: "Except those who are disabled (by injury or are blind or lame..." etc.) (4.95)

This hadith prophet calls for someone to write it. Why not state in previous hadiths he called someone to write it

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/hadith/bukhari/060.sbt.html

13) Book 019, Number 4382:

It has been narrated on the authority of Anas

that the Prophet of Allah (may peace be upon him) wrote toChosroes (King of Persia), Caesar (Emperor of Rome), Negus (King of Abyssinia) and every (other) despot inviting them to Allah, the Exalted. And this Negus was not the one for whom the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had said the funeral prayers.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/hadith/muslim/019.smt.html

14) Book 023, Number 4910:

Ibn 'Abbas reported 

that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) forbade the mixing of dates and grapes together, and mixing of unripe dates and ripe dates together (for preparing Nabidh), and he wrote to the people ofJurash (in Yemen) forbidding them to prepare the mixture of dates and grapes. This hadith has been narrated through another chain of transmitters with a slight variation of words

http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/hadith/muslim/023.smt.html

15) Book 9, Number 1563:

Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar:

The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) wrote a letter about sadaqah (zakat) but he died before he could send it to his governors. He had kept it with his sword. SoAbuBakr acted upon it till he died, and then Umar acted upon it till he died.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/009.sat.html#009.1563

16) Book 19, Number 2984:

Narrated Mujja'ah ibn Mirarah al-Yamani:

Mujja'ah went to the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) asking him for the blood-money of his brother whom Banu Sadusfrom Banu Dhuhl had killed.

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Had I appointed blood-money for a polytheist, I should have appointed it for your brother. But I shall give you compensation for him. So the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) wrote (a document) for him that he should be given a hundred camels which were to be acquired from the fifth taken from the polytheists of Banu Dhuhl. So he took a part of them, for Banu Dhuhl embraced Islam.

He then asked AbuBakr for them later on, and brought to him the document of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him). So AbuBakr wrote for him that he should be given one thousand two hundred sa's from the sadaqah of al-Yamamah; four thousand (sa's) of wheat, four thousand (sa's) of barley, and four thousand (sa's) of dates.

The text of the document written by the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) for Mujja'ah was as follows: "In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, theMerciful. This document is from Muhammad, the Prophet, to Mujja'ah ibn Mirarah of Banu Sulma. I have given him one hundred camels from the first fifth acquired from the polytheist of Banu Dhuhl as a compensation for his brother."

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/019.sat.html#019.2984

17)  Book 19, Number 2993:

Narrated Yazid ibn Abdullah:

We were at Mirbad. A man with dishevelled hair and holding a piece of red skin in his hand came.

We said: You appear to be a bedouin. He said: Yes. We said: Give us this piece of skin in your hand. He then gave it to us and we read it. It contained the text: "From Muhammad, Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him), toBanu Zuhayr ibn Uqaysh. If you bear witness that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah, offer prayer, pay zakat, pay the fifth from the booty, and the portion of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and his special portion (safi), you will be under by the protection of Allah and His Apostle."

We then asked: Who wrote this document for you? He replied: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him).

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/019.sat.html#019.2993

18)  Book 19, Number 3021:

Narrated Amir ibn Shahr:

When the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) appeared as a prophet, Hamdan said to me: Will you go to this man and negotiate for us (with him)? If you accept something, we shall accept it, and if you disapprove of something, we shall disapprove of it.

I said: Yes. So I proceeded until I came to the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him). I liked his motive and my people embraced Islam. The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) wrote the document for UmayrDhu Marran. He also sent Malik ibn Murarah ar-Rahawi to all the (people of) Yemen. So Akk Dhu Khaywanembraced Islam.

Akk was told: Go to the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him), and obtain his protection for your town and property. He therefore came (to him) and the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) wrote a document for him:

"In the name of Allah, Most Beneficent, Most Merciful.From Muhammad, the Apostle of Allah, to Akk DhuKhaywan. If he is true his land, property and slave, he has the security and the protection of Allah, and Muhammad, the Apostle of Allah. Written by Khalid ibnSa'id ibn al-'As."

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/019.sat.html#019.3021

19)  Book 19, Number 3056:

Narrated Amr ibn Awf al-Muzani:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) assigned as a fief toBilal ibn al-Muzani the mines of al-Qabaliyyah both which lay on the upper side and which lay on the lower side, and (the land) which was suitable for cultivation at Quds. He did not give him (the land which involved) the right of a Muslim. The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) wrote a document for him. It goes: "In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful. This is what the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) assigned to Bilal ibn Harithal-Muzani. He gave him the mines of al-Qabaliyyah, both which lay on the upper side and which lay on the lowerside, and (the land) which is suitable for cultivation atQuds. He did not give him the right of any Muslim."

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/019.sat.html#019.3056

20) Book 19, Number 3057

Narrated Amr ibn Awf al-Muzani: 

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) assigned as a fief toBilal ibn Harith al-Muzani the mines of al-Qabaliyyah, both those which lay on the upper side those and which lay on the lower side. The narrator, Ibn an-Nadr, added: "also Jars and Dhat an-Nusub." The agreed version reads: "and (the land) which is suitable for cultivation at Quds". He did not assign to Bilal ibn al-Harith the right of any Muslim. The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) wrote a document to him:

"This is what the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) assigned to Bilal ibn al-Harith al-Muzani. He gave him the mines of al-Qabaliyyah both those which lay on the upper and lower side, and that which is fit for cultivation atQuds. He did not give him the right of any Muslim."

The narrator AbuUways said: A similar tradition has been transmitted to me by Thawr ibn Zayd from Ikrimah on the authority of Ibn Abbas from the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him). Ibn an-Nadr added: Ubayy ibn Ka'bwrote it.

Ps *When someone writes it for prophet pbuh&hf it is stated in the hadith*

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/019.sat.html#019.3057

21)  Volume 3, Book 31, Number 137:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

The Prophet said, "We are an illiterate nation; we neither write, nor know accounts. The month is like this and this, i.e. sometimes of 29 days and sometimes of thirty days."

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/031.sbt.html#003.031.137

22) Volume 8, Book 73, Number 194:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: 

'Umar bin Al-Khattab set out with Allah's Apostle, and a group of his companions to Ibn Saiyad. They found him playing with the boys in the fort or near the Hillocks ofBani Maghala. Ibn Saiyad was nearing his puberty at that time, and he did not notice the arrival of the Prophet till Allah's Apostle stroked him on the back with his hand and said, "Do you testify that I am Allah's Apostle?" IbnSaiyad looked at him and said, "I testify that you are the Apostle of the unlettered ones (illiterates)". Then Ibn Saiyad said to the Prophets . "Do you testify that I am Allah's Apostle?" The Prophet denied that, saying, "I believe in Allah and all His Apostles," and then said to IbnSaiyad, "What do you see?" Ibn Saiyad said, "True people and liars visit me." The Prophet said, "You have been confused as to this matter." Allah's Apostle added, "I have kept something for you (in my mind)." Ibn Saiyad said, "Ad-Dukh." The Prophet said, "Ikhsa (you should be ashamed) for you can not cross your limits." 'Umar said, "O Allah's Apostle! Allow me to chop off h is neck." Allah's Apostle said (to Umar). "Should this person be him (i.e. Ad-Dajjal) then you cannot over-power him; and should he be someone else, then it will be no use yourkilling him." 'Abdullah bin 'Umar added: Later on Allah's Apostle and Ubai bin Ka'b Al-Ansari (once again) went to the garden in which Ibn Saiyad was present.

When Allah's Apostle entered the garden, he started hiding behind the trunks of the date-palms intending to hear something from Ibn Saiyad before the latter could see him. Ibn Saiyad was Lying on his bed, covered with a velvet sheet from where his mumur were heard. Ibn Saiyad'smother saw the Prophet and said, "O Saf (the nickname of Ibn Saiyad)! Here is Muhammad!" Ibn Saiyad stopped his murmuring. The Prophet said, "If his mother had kept quiet, then I would have learnt more about him." 'Abdullah added: Allah's Apostle stood up before the people (delivering a sermon), and after praising and glorifying Allah as He deserved, he mentioned the Ad-Dajjal saying, "I warn you against him, and there has been no prophet but warned his followers against him. Noah warned his followers against him but I am telling you about him, something which no prophet has told his people of, and that is: Know that he is blind in one eye where as Allah is not so."

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/073.sbt.html#008.073.194

23) Book 006, Number 2376:

Ibn 'Umar (may Allah be pleased with both of them) reported 

Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) as saying: We are an unlettered people who can neither write nor count. The month is thus, and thus. folding his thumb when he said it the third time. This hadith has been narrated on the authority of Aswad b. Qais with the same chain of transmitters, but herein no mention has been made of the other month (consisting of) thirty days.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/muslim/006.smt.html#006.2376

24)  Book 041, Number 7000:

'Abdullah b. Umar reported: 

'Umar b. Khattab went along with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) in the company of some persons toIbn Sayyad that he found him playing with children near the bettlement of Bani Maghalaand Ibn Sayyad was at that time just at the threshold of adolescence and he did not perceive (the presence of Holy Prophet) until Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) struck his back with his hands. Allah's Messenger (maypeace be upon him) said: Ibn Sayyad, don't you bear witness that I am the messenger of Allah? Ibn Sayyadlooked toward him and he said: I bear witness to the fact that you the messenger of the unlettered. Ibn Sayyadsaid to the Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him): Do you bear witness to the fact that I am the messenger of Allah? Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) rejected this and said: I affirm my faith in Allah and in His messengers.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/muslim/041.smt.html#041.7000

25)  Book 37, Number 4311:

Narrated Fatimah, daughter of Qays:

The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) once delayed the congregational night prayer.

He came out and said: The talk of Tamim ad-Dari detained me. He transmitted it to me from a man who was on of ofthe islands of the sea. All of a sudden he found a woman who was trailing her hair. He asked: Who are you?

She said: I am the Jassasah. Go to that castle. So I came to it and found a man who was trailing his hair, chained in iron collars, and leaping between Heaven and Earth.

I asked: Who are you? He replied: I am the Dajjal (Antichrist). Has the Prophet of the unlettered people come forth now? I replied: Yes. He said: Have they obeyed him or disobeyed him? I said: No, they have obeyed him. He said: That is better for them.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/037.sat.html#037.4311

26) Sunan of Abu-DawoodHadith 2755

Narrated byNu'aym ibn Mas'ud

I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) say when he READ the letter of Musaylimah: What do you believe yourselves?  They said: We believe as he believes. He said: I swear by Allah that were it not that messengersare not killed, I would cut off your heads.

*** The hadith asserts that Muhammad pbuh&hf READ the Letter. It was not READ for him. It was not RECITED to him; he READ it himself

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/abudawud/014.sat.html#014.2755

I have stated where prophet pbuh&hf wrote or got things written. I have also stated what is meant by ummi in the hadith so please decide for your selves’ weather rasool pbuh&hf was incapable of reading and writing or (Illiterate as some people state in the Quran). Or was he pbuh&hf a messenger from/amongst the gentiles which means people not from the earlier scriptures. With each hadith, I have supplied the link and reference numbers. I have not included the many pen and papper hadiths in this document either...............

Within my research I could not find in any hadith Mohammed pbuh&hf could not read or write nor did the Quran

implicate he could not read and right, the only thing the Quran implicated that he did not. This does not mean he could not!  Or was not formally taught by Allah swt after the first revelation.

All these hadiths prove that he pbuh&hf was reading and writing after the first revelation. Meaning that he could not have be illiterate.

The truth shall always prevail.  

^^^

Jazaka'Allah bro Shah1 for these, plenty more in Shia books confirm our Glorious Prophet (pbuh) was literate. He may not have been a "lettered man" (meaning formal education/qualifications etc.) but that's a moot point; He was of Nur and created before Hz Adam (as) then sent to Earth as a Mercy to Mankind, the Greatest of All Beings.

It beggars belief any Muslim could believe the Prophet he/she follows (and would supposedly die for) couldn't read or write :cry:

An anecdote: many years ago we (as in me & some fellow shia) went to our local Sunni Barelwi Temple on the occasion of "Khatam e Nubuwaat Conference" or similar. The first speaker was young (a student) and, to be honest, quite awful; no flow or articulation in his speech, little of genuine inspiration & seemingly aimed at a target audience of 6 year olds.

However, at one juncture he exclaimed proudly "Of course, our Prophet couldn't read or write!"- and the audience responded in a positive manner!

To say I was massively p***** off at this comment is an understatement. Soon as I had the chance I hot-footed it out of there, never to return....

ALI

Edited by Kismet110

I presented the haddiths to a Muslim brother and he still maintained our prophet pbuh&hf was illiterate.

Stating the hadiths did not mean he actually wrote or read.

You can't convince if their is a seal on their hearts!

May Allah swt guide us all......

Maybe Allah wanted the Prophet(SAW) to be illiterate so that the people of the time wouldn't accuse him of making the Qur'an himself. This way people would believe that Allah sent the Qur'an to Muhammad(SAW).

^^^

Erm, no sorry, this does not compute. The disbelievers accused the Prophet (pbuh) of all manner of awful things when the message of Quran and Islam was being conveyed by him, even though they knew him to be truthful, honest and moral; whether he could read/write or not wouldn't have made one iota of difference to them.

For every Bakri who proudly proclaims "Our Prophet was unable to read or write" should be sent a lana'at (IMO) for defaming not only the Prophet (pbuh) but also Islam & the Quran. Our faith's unique characteristic (compared to previous monotheistic faiths) was the emphasis on words and literacy, the power of the pen and written word.

To imagine the fountainhead of this Revelation in turn was the opposite? A shame on 'Muslims' who blindly follow their Mullahs, extolling ignorance/illiteracy as a virtue rather than a hindrance.....

ALI

Edited by Kismet110

As a Shia, i've been brought up to believe that the Prophet could read and write, but I've just become aware that Sunnis believe the Prophet was illiterate and the Quran says, "Those who follow the messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write..." [7:157]

I'd like clarifying from both sides of the argument if anyone can explain :)

This Question was Also Asked To our Imams, on hearing this Imam Mohammad Naqi(as) Pressed hisTounge between his Teeth. Ummi doesn't mean Illiterate but it means Precursor.