Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Significance of 12

Are We Sunni Or Shi'a

Rate this topic

I somewhat understand the meanings of the terms. we are shi'a (shi'as of Ali(A.S)), sunni would mean ones following the sunnah of the prophet. Now, i believe the main difference comes from accepting the right source of information about sunnah. Shi'as believe Ahlul-bayt gave us the authentic info whereas sunnis believe in others. My confusion, my point and my question here is... Aren't we sunni and shi'a at the same time as we have befriended the family of the prophet (pbuh) and at the same time following his sunnah?

P.S: This thread is not to promote any kind of heat among the two sects in any way, at least I don't intend so.

Edited by Significance of 12

Sallam Alliekom

you said

"Aren't we sunni and shi'a at the same time as we have befriended the family of the prophet and at the same time following his sunnah?"

well First yes we do have Diffrent sources to where we get the Sunnah From

but from what you've quoted ..yes Both are Be friending the Family of the Prophet (pbuh)

But to the Sunni's however as BeFriending the Ahlulbeit, they also Befriending their enemies " Muawiyah" and as of Late some putting (ra) To yazeed .. and sometimes Sunni's Favor the oppositions of the Ahlulbeit "For Example The Issue Fadak instead of Following and Sticking to the Ahlulbeit to their Claim, they Stick with a "Sahaba" and Defend his stance to prove members of the Ahlulbeit "Ali & Fatima (as)" Were wrong, even though the prophet said Im Leaving you the Ahlulbeit so we wont go astray, but they chose not to in the issue of Fadak among other Issues, & like some would Claim Hussein (as) Was wrong and so on" .. and this is where sunni'sm deviate from the Truth

If you acknowledge and believe that the succession of the last Prophet - Muhammad (pbuh) has been passed on by his will and the will of Almighty Allah (SWT) to the Imams which start from Ali (as) and has been passed down from Ali (as) to Hassan (as) and from Hassan (as) to Hussain (as) and to the succeeding NIne Members of their family leading upto the 12th and last Imam Qaim Mehdi (as) then you are "Shia".

If you believe that the succession of the last Prophet - Muhammad (pbuh) has been passed on to Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman and Ali (IN MY DEFENSE who were not appointed but elected) then you are a Sunni Muslim.

Now, i believe the main difference comes from accepting the right source of information about sunnah. Shi'as believe Ahlul-bayt gave us the authentic info whereas sunnis believe in others. My confusion, my point and my question here is... Aren't we sunni and shi'a at the same time as we have befriended the family of the prophet (pbuh) and at the same time following his sunnah?

P.S: This thread is not to promote any kind of heat among the two sects in any way, at least I don't intend so.

The sources of Information for both the sects are the same - Islamic Laws, Hadiths' are the same - the only difference arises in interpretation. You have the Sunni Fiqh which uses different means of interpreting Islam and you have the Jafari Fiqh which uses different ways of interpretation.

We are not Sunni and Shia at the same time. The Prophet (pbuh) has spoken the word of Allah (SWT) so if you say we are Muslims, that would be acceptable, whereas after the demise of the Prophet if you would read the Shia's and Sunnis have had difference of opinions and different viewpoints as well.

If you acknowledge and believe that the succession of the last Prophet - Muhammad (pbuh) has been passed on by his will and the will of Almighty Allah (SWT) to the Imams which start from Ali (as) and has been passed down from Ali (as) to Hassan (as) and from Hassan (as) to Hussain (as) and to the succeeding NIne Members of their family leading upto the 12th and last Imam Qaim Mehdi (as) then you are "Shia".

If you believe that the succession of the last Prophet - Muhammad (pbuh) has been passed on to Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman and Ali (IN MY DEFENSE who were not appointed but elected) then you are a Sunni Muslim.

The sources of Information for both the sects are the same - Islamic Laws, Hadiths' are the same - the only difference arises in interpretation. You have the Sunni Fiqh which uses different means of interpreting Islam and you have the Jafari Fiqh which uses different ways of interpretation.

We are not Sunni and Shia at the same time. The Prophet (pbuh) has spoken the word of Allah (SWT) so if you say we are Muslims, that would be acceptable, whereas after the demise of the Prophet if you would read the Shia's and Sunnis have had difference of opinions and different viewpoints as well.

This question came in my mind after my sunni friends numerous times replied, when asked whats the difference between sunni and shia, that " OH the only difference is that sunnis follow the sunnah" which is obviously incorrect, but if thats what you're flaunting, then what r we doing?

(salam)

Both the Shias and Sunnah wal-jamaah tries to follow the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (pbuh). Shias go through the Holy Prophet (pbuh) family (ahlul bayt). This is based on the saying of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) to refer to his family after him. please refer to hadeeth of thaqalayn. We believe our Imams are divinely guided by Allah swt.

The Sunnah wal-jamaah placed more importance to people who are non ahlul-bayt. Their Sunni Imams (Fiqh School) were not related to the Holy Prophet (pbuh). Their Sunni Imams are not divinely guided. There are just scholars like our Ayatullahs. Sunnis don't believe our Imams are guided by Allah swt. Heck, they don't even believe the Holy Prophet(pbuh) was sinless.

We are not Sunni and Shia at the same time. The Prophet (pbuh) has spoken the word of Allah (SWT) so if you say we are Muslims, that would be acceptable,

A Muslim is a follower of Islam. The Sunnah is a "Tradition" which helps both the Shia and the Sunni to stay on the correct path. It is true that the Sunnis follow the Sunnah, I have not denied the fact that the Shias do not. But that does not mean that we are Sunni and Shia at the same time. That is a logical deduction you have made.