Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

A Unique Opportunity To Study

Socrates

• Advanced Member

The Zahra Trust is now taking applications for students from the West who desire to move to the holy city of Najaf for Islamic Studies. Priority is given to those holding British and American passports, as they are currently under-represented in the hawzah. The academic year will begin in September 2011. All living expenses will be taken care of, the only cost to the applicant being the flight to Najaf.

Anyone who is seriously interested should email info<at>zahratrust<dot>co<dot>uk with their CV and brief biography for consideration.

Closing date for applications is 15th April 2011.

Please note that only successful applicants will be contacted.

Edited by Socrates

• Advanced Member

wow, this is so interesting! i want to go, ive actually been thinking about this, but ive got my education to think about (a-levels etc...) *sighs* what a shame :'( i really want to be more knowledgeable generally in Islamic history... maybe in about 2 years...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Apologies for the delay in replying - I had no internet.

Females?

There are a few schools but mainly for wives and daughters of current students.

Why only the West?

Because there's plenty of Indians and Pakistanis.

Interesting, as I had been thinking about this earlier in the day - to ask whether there are opportunities for single females to study in Najaf.

Not afaik, though I'll check and get back to you.

Ahhh if only I was a bit older

How old are you?

Can you give more info, how long? how much?

How long depends on how much you want to take. It will start from the basics all the way up to levels required to enter dars al-kharij. All the costs of accomodation and meals will be taken care of, the only thing you have to pay for is a plane ticket to Najaf.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Please do not hijack the thread. If you want to talk about narrations glorifying the excellence of certain cities, please do so in another thread. There's no need to make this a Najaf vs Qum thread.

I've split topic the Qum vs Najaf discussion

Let's keep this discussion on topic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I would love to go...All I need is the plane ticket? What about food and housing? Also, the same question as above...Do I need to know arabic...I dont know much at all..and is it safe? This would be a dream come true. What are the requirments? (age/knowledge/language/etc...)

• Advanced Member

How much arabic do you need to know?

You don't need to know any as such, since the course starts from scratch, but I would say that at least being able to read Arabic is a bare minimum, and obviously the more you know, the faster you will be able to progress.

Am I too old at 26?

Nope.

Are single females being considered for the Zahra trust scheme?

Not as far as I am aware at the moment.

P.s. What's Kharij??

You could say its the hawza equivalent of a PhD. Its the final stage of hawza after which a person can practice their own ijtihad.

Is it safe in Najaf?

Yes. Though obviously you have to be sensible and take some precautions as a foreigner, but in terms of safety, the area around Amir al-Muminin (as) is alhamdulillah very safe.

I would love to go...All I need is the plane ticket? What about food and housing? Also, the same question as above...Do I need to know arabic...I dont know much at all..and is it safe? This would be a dream come true. What are the requirments? (age/knowledge/language/etc...)

Food and housing would be provided.

No age or knowledge limits. Ideally some Arabic but it isn't essential.

• Advanced Member

I can read arabic but I do not know what it means without the translation...if that makes any sense...

except if i have memorized the meaning of a word or verse.

I am thinking to go to qom, because I am okay in Farsi, and my parents are both Iranian born. would they have something like this in qum? with free housing, tuition, books, and food etc? Also, I would like to serve my time in the Iranian military if that is possible, after my studies. This would really be a blessing.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

This is tempting. I've been seriously thinking 'najaf or qum?" for a while now and I can't very much decide.

How does marriage go while you're there? Food and housing...etc?

The housing is only for single males at the moment. If you're married already, you'd either have to find your own place if you want to be with your family, or leave them behind.

• Veteran Member

Do applicants have to be committed to a minimum number of years? What if they only want to study for 1 year only, or 6 months even, could they still apply? Also, it would be helpful if you said more about the structure of learning in the hawza. The number of classes per day, the range of lessons (for example if you go to Qum you spend the first 6 months to a year studying only farsi) etc.

Edited by .InshAllah.

• Advanced Member

Do applicants have to be committed to a minimum number of years? What if they only want to study for 1 year only, or 6 months even, could they still apply? Also, it would be helpful if you said more about the structure of learning in the hawza. The number of classes per day, the range of lessons (for example if you go to Qum you spend the first 6 months to a year studying only farsi) etc.

Depends how fast you study, though even if your Arabic is excellent and you're a fast learner, its going to take at least two to three years to get up to Luma' which is the main book that you are examined for in the Hawzah. Coming to Najaf for six months or a year wouldn't really be productive, better off going to Syria instead if you just want to learn Arabic.

Number of classes in the day are generally between three and four, one for Arabic grammar, one studying basic fiqh, one for Akhlaq and perhaps one for Mantiq.

As you progress, you do more fiqh and then usool as well as aqaid.

Edited by Socrates

• Basic Members

(salam)

I am married 40 and have children, college and military background. Further I can at least one letter of recommendation from a Shaykh from Najaf. Would that help. Oh and I have very good understanding of Arabic grammer have studied with Ayatullah Jalali and Shaykh Hisham Husayni. Would any of this help me?

Edited by AbuTalib1970

• Advanced Member

As Salamu...

Is "dot" a point ?

wa alaykum salaam,

Yes.

(salam)

I am married 40 and have children, college and military background. Further I can at least one letter of recommendation from a Shaykh from Najaf. Would that help. Oh and I have very good understanding of Arabic grammer have studied with Ayatullah Jalali and Shaykh Hisham Husayni. Would any of this help me?

Your understanding of Arabic grammar would help you. Send your particulars to the email address listed in the opening post for consideration.

• Advanced Member

wa alaykum salaam,

Yes.

Your understanding of Arabic grammar would help you. Send your particulars to the email address listed in the opening post for consideration.

Thank you for you answer.

1) When begin the hawza ?

2) Akhi my problem is : I am 18 years old, if I go in Najaf and I will return to my country after 5-10 years, in what could I work ?

Edited by Ali-Mohammed

• Advanced Member

Thank you for you answer.

1) When begin the hawza ?

2) Akhi my problem is : I am 18 years old, if I go in Najaf and I will return to my country after 5-10 years, in what could I work ?

The term begins in September 2011.

You can work in all kinds of professions, though if you spend ten years in Najaf (which you could because you are young enough) then you could be a very good English speaking scholar, a person who is in high demand in this day and age.

• Advanced Member

Depends how fast you study, though even if your Arabic is excellent and you're a fast learner, its going to take at least two to three years to get up to Luma' which is the main book that you are examined for in the Hawzah. Coming to Najaf for six months or a year wouldn't really be productive, better off going to Syria instead if you just want to learn Arabic.

Number of classes in the day are generally between three and four, one for Arabic grammar, one studying basic fiqh, one for Akhlaq and perhaps one for Mantiq.

As you progress, you do more fiqh and then usool as well as aqaid.

Huh? That's a bit weird. Surely you should do usool and aqaid, and then learn about fiqh? Doesn't aqaid inform fiqh? Am I missing something here?

Also, you don't happen to know what 'naqli' means do you?

The term begins in September 2011.

You can work in all kinds of professions, though if you spend ten years in Najaf (which you could because you are young enough) then you could be a very good English speaking scholar, a person who is in high demand in this day and age.

What kind of professions, except from being a moulana who gives english lectures?

Btw, do they give public speaking lessons in hawza?

Edited by lalala12

Huh? That's a bit weird. Surely you should do usool and aqaid, and then learn about fiqh? Doesn't aqaid inform fiqh? Am I missing something here?

Traditionally, very little of aqaid would actually be taught in the howza. And the usool he's talking about is usool al-fiqh, not usool ad-deen.

Also, you don't happen to know what 'naqli' means do you?

Transmitted. So naqli would refer to something that is coming down via the sources (i.e. Quran and hadith), while `aqli is something that is intellectually/rationally based.

Realistically speaking though, unless one wants to take up the lifestyle of the "resident `alim" (if one even gets to do that), 5-10, even 20, years in howza will mean next to nothing over here in terms of a job qualification in the market. If one plans to have a career and actually support oneself and family, it's better to plan that out ahead of time, even if it means taking the time to get some type of degree, getting a trade, etc., in advance of going instead of waiting till you get back here, realizing you can't get a better job than something like working at your local Walmart, and having to go to school to get some type of degree.

(salam)

I like to know if it is possible for people who graduated from howzahs in Najaf or Qum to get academic job in western Universities?

(wasalam)

If you mean teaching, from what I've seen, no. It might get you some recognition for undergraduate credit, but you'd still need to get your masters/phd the usual way.

(salam)

By this you mean someone can get a PhD in a western University and start teaching/researching about Islam (school of ahlul bayt) without going through our Howzah system?

No I was referring to career prospects for a howza graduate in particular, that is that it doesn't translate to being able to go teach in a Western university and that you'd still need to pursue graduate studies under the latter in order to be considered qualified to teach.

• Advanced Member

Traditionally, very little of aqaid would actually be taught in the howza. And the usool he's talking about is usool al-fiqh, not usool ad-deen.

So at what stage of ones Hawza studies would you learn about Aqa'id?

I was under the impression that understanding of ones Aqa'id would have been fundamental before learning other sciences, no?

• Advanced Member

So at what stage of ones Hawza studies would you learn about Aqa'id?

I was under the impression that understanding of ones Aqa'id would have been fundamental before learning other sciences, no?

That's what I thought. :wacko:

• Advanced Member

As Salamu...

I think it is :

info@zahratrust.co.uk

Wa Alaikum as-Salaam,

I tried that address the first time and it came back as undeliverable. I googled Zahra Trust and the contact info stated Info@ZahraTrust.com. I tried this one and it went through, I just hope it's not some other organization's website, but the co.uk email doesn't work.

Insha'Allah kheir. :)