Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What Is Deobandi And Abadi Sect ?

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

If I remember correctly. The Deobandi movement was a reply to Sir Syed Ahmed Khan's establishment of Aligarh University. Some muslims opposed the idea that muslim should educate themselves like the British, so they started the Deobandi movement that aimed to educate Muslim towards the fundamentals of Islam (kinda like Howzaa for Sunnis). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deobandi

I like the flow chart. It will handy in the future

Edited by Master Chief
  • Advanced Member

Thanks Master Chief. So it is not really a sect. Maybe more like a social group?

What do they emphasize more; the Sunni Hanafi madhab or Wahhabiya/Salafiyya hard-line teaching?

According my research, They were more inclined towards the Hanafi school of thought, but they also accept the other schools of thought that are found in Sunni Islam. However, I do not know whether they are still teaching hanafi school of thought in their universities.

@ OP do you mean the Ibadi sect?

Edited by Master Chief
  • Advanced Member

They are hanafis, but unlike many other hanafis they are strongly opposed to things like visiting the graves of saints, celebrating the birthday of the Prophet, and any sort of tawassul. They also famously, or perhaps infamously, strongly disagreed with their barelvi compatriots in regards to the status of the Prophet and hold him to be more just like a normal person whereas the Barelvis see him as having knowledge of the unseen, being able to see and hear things all over the earth and being nur.

They are definitely more hard-line than hanafis in the Balkans, Turkey, Central Asia, the Arab world and even other hanafis in the Indian subcontinent. However, they are not really salafi/wahabi either although they share some commonalities. Strangely enough many of them are Sufis, but a type of very restrained Sufism very different from most other sufis in the world.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Anyone knows why the Deoband sect is floating by itself here. Does this mean it cannot be traced to any other sect?

1000px-Islam_branches_and_schools.svg.png

good picture u have made.

If I remember correctly. The Deobandi movement was a reply to Sir Syed Ahmed Khan's establishment of Aligarh University. Some muslims opposed the idea that muslim should educate themselves like the British, so they started the Deobandi movement that aimed to educate Muslim towards the fundamentals of Islam (kinda like Howzaa for Sunnis). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deobandi

I like the flow chart. It will handy in the future

you are quit wrong!

don't trust on wikipedia or bbc london.

• Advanced Member

good picture u have made.

you are quit wrong!

don't trust on wikipedia or bbc london.

Would you care to guide me to the correct version. I don't trust wikipedia completely, however, it is a good stepping stone towards further research and I have no idea what BBC have to do with the discussion at hand.