Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Homeschooling Shia Mothers

• Advanced Member

My brother and I were homeschooled by my mother when we were young and living in Cincinnati, Ohio. For myself, it was through only grades one and two, then when I entered regular day school (an Islamic one, incidentally) after moving to another state I went straight to grade four, skipping the third grade.

In this sense, homeschooling is amazing. The children can learn at their own pace, and all the attention is given to them by their parent so that they can progress in a much better manner. Both my brother and I were reading by the age of four, and having researched a LOT (and I mean a LOT) online my mother knew what she was doing and ordered some of the best curriculum material out there. I'm sure those have changed by now, but it shouldn't be difficult to find something good and relatively inexpensive. Do pay attention to the manner in which your child learns as well - I liked reading and writing fairly quickly, but my brother had a shorter attention span and my mother used cards, pictures, blocks and other things to keep him engaged in both reading and math. It really depends on the child.

You might want to look up Montessori schooling, for example. Or the Charlotte Mason method. Or Waldorf-style teaching. All of these are alternative methods of learning, and depending on your preferences you can research and decide.

K12

http://homeschooling...ods/Methods.htm

http://homeschooling...s/a/methods.htm

http://www.successfu...ng-methods.html

Also, make sure you know what your state or country requires in terms of tests, official records, and other measures of progress. Make sure you're up-to-date in terms of what your children should be learning. The following might help if you're in the US:

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

http://homeschooling...equirements.htm

Some materials (including Islamic resources):

https://www.calvertschoolmd.org/page

http://www.noorart.c...CFcjsKgodLjfdog

http://kinzaacademy.com/

http://homeschooling...ion/islamic.htm

You might also want to Google "Muslim homeschool network resources".

If I find any links or books I think would be pertinent I'll post! Best of luck inshaAllah smile.gif

salam.gifwa

• Advanced Member

I do not homeschool but I am also interested in what answers you'll get on this. I'm from USA, but I may be living in Canada by the time I get to the point where I am able to homeschool my children. Good luck and I hope you get some very good answers and advice!!

• Advanced Member

Salaam sister,

I'm in my junior year of college now, but I was homeschooled from 5th grade onwards. My mom did an amazing job and there are many resources out there to help your kids get the highest quality education at home. Personally, I think its the way to go if you don't have an Islamic school near your area :)

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about resources, my experiences, etc.

• 2 years later...
  • Advanced Member

I wish i could home school my child,I want to proctect my son from other children and what they learn from them, especially haraam things. But in the UK it is not as common and my husband thinks im crazy for the idea. The only positive i can see from it is, is that maybe it will teach him to be a stronger person to be out in society and learn these things but still know wrong from right.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Our sons are adults now but we homeschooled them for a number of years. The resources the first responder sent above are all good.

I first researched the laws in our state (Virginia) and then looked up lots of different curricula and picked and chose among them. I also used the knowledge of other homeschoolers in our area and planned outings and field trips with them.

A friend of mine is currently homeschooling her children using the Waldorf method and she is very happy with it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I would say that if you take out the phrase "homeschool her child and" in the previous post, it would be a truer statement. There is nothing inherent in home schooling that makes it more difficult that dealing with public schools in the west.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

I wish i could home school my child,I want to proctect my son from other children and what they learn from them, especially haraam things. But in the UK it is not as common and my husband thinks im crazy for the idea. The only positive i can see from it is, is that maybe it will teach him to be a stronger person to be out in society and learn these things but stil know wrong from right.

There is nothing inherent in home schooling that makes it more difficult that dealing with public schools in the west.

I agree with 1472 Maryam and would like to add homeschooling is not a definite way to prevent children from being led astray. I have examples of those children who were homeschooled yet as soon as they received the slightest bit of freedom in college/university, were more susceptible to pressure by their peers to abandon their morals having not experienced peer pressure in an educational environment before.

Regardless of whether a child will be home-schooled or attend public schools, a balance needs to be maintained throughout the child's life.

We live in a diverse society. I have matured so much for going out there on my own and experiencing life in schools.

Just make sure they go to a good school.

The daily social interactions, the social skills, the life lessons, the atmosphere, danger and how to avoid it, all were learnt by me in schools.

• Unregistered

We live in a diverse society. I have matured so much for going out there on my own and experiencing life in schools.

Just make sure they go to a good school.

The daily social interactions, the social skills, the life lessons, the atmosphere, danger and how to avoid it, all were learnt by me in schools.

I've gone to public school my whole life and after 5th grade, it was becoming overrated. Like the kids became sucked in what the media was selling them and all they wanted is to have boyfriends/girlfriends because thats exactly what tv tells them they need. I would rather study with someone outside of that environment for a certain amount of time a day and then spend the rest of my day doing something beneficial with normal kids who don't care about the mainstream cartoons nowadays that suck so bad its not even funny.

• 5 years later...
  • Forum Administrators

Bumping this topic for @Zahra_jan

People I know who were homeschooling used Calvert School (up to grade 8) and American School (high school courses).

American School of Correspondence[1]

Calvert School[2]

Of course they are expensive. You are paying for your books and for them to ship them to you. 

• Advanced Member

In Canada, you can get home school courses through the Ministry of Education at no cost ($50 refundable text book deposit) if you do not enrol in a public school.  You are actually enrolling in home school instead. They send you all the books and supplies and will loan you a laptop for higher grades.  I don't know if there are private schooling home options though.

I honestly like the post. I think these mothers are doing great job especially in west and locations that there's no access to a good Islamic school. Housewife women can also do homeschooling. I think it's a good thing for all family and children can learn faster and better.

• Advanced Member

We homeschool two boys (12 and 15). We have created a custom curriculum for both of them.

The oldest actually learns Farsi (has a private tutor), takes some courses at the local community college, and also takes online courses in addition to traditional home instruction.

The youngest is more interested in math, science, and athletics

Both are doing very well, and the oldest is far beyond his peers. 

There are many, many resources for homeschooling. In addition to the materials online, there are also meetup groups, clubs, etc.