Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Khwārizmī And Commander Of The Faithful

Rate this topic

• Moderators

Salaam Aleikum,

In his book called Al-Kitāb al-mukhtaṣar fī hīsāb al-ğabr wa’l-muqābala, he state:

That fondness for science, by which God has distinguished the IMAN AL MAMUN, the

Commander of the Faithful (besides the caliphat which He has vouchsafed unto him by

lawful succession, in the robe of which He has invested him, and with the honours of

which He has adorned him), that affability and condescension which he shows to the

learned, that promptitude with which he protects and supports them in the elucidation of

obscurities and in the removal of difficulties, — has encouraged me to compose a short

work on Calculating by (the rules of) Completion and Reduction confining it to what is

easiest and most useful in arithmetic, such as men constantly require in cases of

inheritance, legacies, partition, law-suits, and trade, and in all their dealings with one

another, or where the measuring of lands, the digging of canals, geometrical computation,

and other objects of various sorts and kinds are concerned — relying on tbe goodness of

my intention therein, and hoping that the learned will reward it, by obtaining (for me)

through their pragers the excellence of the Divine mercy: in requital of which, may the

choicest blessings and the abundant bount of God be theirs!..

Source: http://www.uni-due.de/imperia/md/content/didmath/ag_jahnke/musa.pdf

Does he mean here Imam Ali (as)?

PS. What a virtuous and beautiful sayings he says. A modern Muslims scientist should follow his steps.

Edited by Zufa

• Moderators

I think he's referring to al-Ma'mun, the `Abbasid khalifa. It was common practice to refer to these rulers as "Amir al-Mu'mineen", even though we know that title is exclusively the Imam's (as).

I don't understand why to give such a speech to Al-Ma'mun who is against Imam Al-Ridha (as)? Yet according Wikipedia we know that Khwārizmī is a Shia Muslim.

I don't understand why to give such a speech to Al-Ma'mun who is against Imam Al-Ridha (as)? Yet according Wikipedia we know that Khwārizmī is a Shia Muslim.

Whether Shi`i or not, exaggerated praising of the rulers in the works of scholars and authors was pretty standard (keeping in mind such rulers were often the patrons of authors like these). al-Ma'mun in particular is one who was well known for his patronage and support of sciences and such. Read the quote you cited, it's pretty clear he's referring to al-Ma'mun whom he is saying has encouraged him to write said treatise.

• Moderators

Whether Shi`i or not, exaggerated praising of the rulers in the works of scholars and authors was pretty standard (keeping in mind such rulers were often the patrons of authors like these). al-Ma'mun in particular is one who was well known for his patronage and support of sciences and such. Read the quote you cited, it's pretty clear he's referring to al-Ma'mun whom he is saying has encouraged him to write said treatise.

I agree.

(salam)

I have read a biography of Khawarizmi and it mentioned that he was a Shia of Imam Sadiq(as). Both him and Jabbir Ibn Hayyan. They don’t have religious work. Their contribution was mainly in science and mathematic.

(wasalam)

If by that they meant an actual disciple, that wouldn't seem possible as it looks like Khwarizmi was born some decades after the Imam (as) had already passed away.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Interesting. According to the dates...they should have not met each other.

The biography book that I read had an actual conversation between Imam Jaffar as-Sadiq and Al-Khawarizmi (the mathematician). I don't remember the exact details but it was about geometry and that al-Khawarizmi was very very young.

• Moderators

Allamah Amini in Al-Ghadeer says that he has only quoted from the a'mmah (i.e. non-Shia sources), and Khawarizmi is one of them.

I don't think that is a proof to him to not be a Shia muslim.

Also wikipedia does not give any source to support that he was actually Shia Muslim.