Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What About The Other Imams?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salams brothers and sisters.

Forgive me if this topic has been talked about before on SC, but I'm very curious on this one.

I've noticed us Shia tend to talk about Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), Imam Ali (as), Imam Hassan & Husayn (as) and Sayyeda Fatima (as) and we know from Hadeeth al Kisaa that they are Ahlul Bayt. BUT.... what about the other Imams? they are Ahlul Bayt too! Why is it that we focus so much on the 5 mentioned and tend to touch on the other Imams (as) here and there with their ahadith, when their lives and stories are just as important?

Are we being ignorant? I want to know what your opinion on this is. What should be done about it?

Salam

(wasalam)

This is certainly a problem. Many of us know little more about most of the Imams (as) other than their names (if that), yet we hope to be their Shi`a. One cure for that, I think, is to make the effort to better familiarize ourselves by reading about their lives (such as in Shaykh Mufid's Kitab al-Irshad), and reading the hadiths. Are we following them while remaining ignorant of what they actually taught? The Imams (as) were not a people who never said anything, they spoke, they wrote, and those teachings have been passed down to us. So, it behooves us to better familiarize ourselves with those teachings, and our Imams (as) be not only a list of names we have memorized and revere, but our teachers and guideposts in the deen.

Wa alaykum assalam wa rahmetu Allahi wa barekato.

Yes, it is partially a case of neglect, where we have neglected to give much attention to the other Aimmah, aleyhum assalam, except on those solitary occasions such as their births and deaths. Although it is not entirely our fault, since there are many less words narrated from the later Aimmah, aleyhum assalam, and less authentic stories about them. With all that said, as people who recognise that we are neglecting some of the Aimmah, aleyhum assalam, we must try to learn more about them, so as MacIsaac said, they become guides for us. This means we should seek to read the material on them, even if it is limited. Alhamdulilah, thankfully a great book about the Aimmah, aleyhum assalam, Kitab al-Irshad, is translated into English. As someone who recently finished the book, I really recommend that you read it.

Peace.

• Advanced Member

Umm I know this is completely off-topic and random, but just wondered did you write that prayer 'saying' at the bottom because it's great! :blush:

lol, i wish! its beautiful though, i found it somewhere. its narated by hatim bin al asam i think.

:)

mac & pers, i totally agree with you.

we need to go beyond learning about the members of Hadeethul Kisaa and learn about the amazing lives of the rest and stop blindly following. and whats better is the speakers out there that most of us listen to also need to dedicate some of their lectures fully to the rest of the imams (as).. whats following ahlul bayt (as) without knowing the rest? and thanks for the recommendation, will definately have to do so.

peace

• Basic Members
lol, i wish! its beautiful though, i found it somewhere. its narated by hatim bin al asam i think.

:)

Yes it is, Mash'Allah! Thank you for that :) . Good topic though, I've wondered that too as to why the other Imams (as) are not as well known. One reason, maybe could be that the earlier Imams (as) had 'eventful' stories and lives? Although the later Imams (as) maybe did not, therefore they are talked about less, which doesn't mean they're less important but just less talked about? I agree with the other posts as well, we need to know more about ahlulbayt and the other great characters that were the Imams (as).

Salaams.

• Veteran Member

I completely agree with you. The only way to really learn about the other Imams is to make an effort and read up on them.

Here is a pretty good link to some online bio books in English about the other Imams as well as the Prophet and Lady Fatima...

http://www.maaref-foundation.com/english/index.htm

Here's my opinion of how often the Imams (as) are addressed in majlis or discussion

1. Imam Ali (as) - All the time

2. Imam Husain (as) - All the time

3. Imam Zain ul Abideel (as) Muharaam/Safar only but all the time in those months.

4. Imam Jafar-e-Sadiq (as) - Depends on the topic

5. Imam Muhammad Baqir (as) - Depends on the topic but significantly less than the previous three Imams(as) listed above

6. Imam Mehdi (as) - Quite often

7. Imam Musa Kazim (as) - Depends on the topic

8. Imam Hasan (as) - Hardly ever mentioned surprisingly but depends on the topic

9. Imam Raza (as) - Very rare

10. Imam Muhammad Taqi (as) - Very rare

11. Imam Hasan Askari (as) - Very rare if ever

12. Imam Ali Naqi al Hadi (as) - Very rare can't remember the last time I heard a discussion of him or him mentioned in a majlis.

Also, as far as the Prophet (pbuh) being mentioned I would rank him somewhere around #4.

This list is based on majlis held in Chicago over the last 30 or so years. Might be different in other parts of the world but I would venture to say this would apply to North America in general (US & Canada).

• Advanced Member

Umm I know this is completely off-topic and random, but just wondered did you write that prayer 'saying' at the bottom because it's great! :blush:

Wow, fellow Bristolite Shia, do you go the Hossenih mosque?

As for the the OP, yes this is unfortunately the case. Though in some defence, there is more documented about some of the Imams than others, because some were forced to live in a life of seclusion so they couldn't preach. And as for their five, they are Ahl al Kisa, and they have a status higher than other members of Ahlul Bayt.

• Advanced Member

You are right. We should try to about ALL our Imams as much as we can.

The reason for greater focus on some Imams is because of the time spent by our community centres on events related to them.

Moharram, Safar and first week of Rabi-ul-Awwal we are totally focused on Imam Hussein, then a few nights majlis on the Holy Prophet and Imam Hassan

then in Ramazan we focus on Imam Ali for about a week

In case of other Imams, we just have a one night majlis

This inculcates an unbalanced view of the Imams in our minds since early childhood

But end of the day, blaming centres will not be of any good. We need to take initiative and learn more about them

• Advanced Member

We should ask zakireen to recite majalis on each imam seperately atleast giving 5 majlis to each imam. I think the problem stems from the Sunni Shia debates that our youth are busy in, which resulted in complete or maximum avoidance of research in to the lifes of other imams.

The Sunnis already have their major books translated in to English and they do lot of research in to the lifes of their four imams of misguidance.

Ya Ali Madad

• Veteran Member
One cure for that, I think, is to make the effort to better familiarize ourselves by reading about their lives (such as in Shaykh Mufid's Kitab al-Irshad), and reading the hadiths.
This means we should seek to read the material on them, even if it is limited. Alhamdulilah, thankfully a great book about the Aimmah, aleyhum assalam, Kitab al-Irshad, is translated into English. As someone who recently finished the book, I really recommend that you read it.

That book is itself discriminatory.

Half the book is on Imam Ali.

I always call Imam Al Hasan (as) the forgotten Imam, guess some people also agree with me.

(salam)

I agree brother. If people read his thundering sermons, recorded in ihtijaj tabrisi, he delivered in muawiya's court then they'll realize what a fearless LION he was. Muawiya, amr b. aas, mughira ibn shu'ba, marwan etc; they used to feel fearful of Imam Hasan al Mujtaba(as) eventhough He(as) would be alone while those mal'oons would be sitting in their own den surrounded by their armies.

Muawiya admitting he is too scared of Imam Hasan(as), Ihtijaj Tabrisi:

فقال لهم معاوية: إني أخاف أن يقلدكم قلايد يبقى عليكم عارها، حتى يدخلكم قبوركم، والله ما رأيته قط إلا كرهت جنابه، وهبت عتابه، وإني إن بعثت إليه لأنصفنه منكم.

• Advanced Member

I think there are individual books in English on each of the imams but someone told me chapters are not properly organised.

I wish I was with atleast three imams. I would have been their slave and would have written about their lives.

Ya Ali

• Advanced Member

Salams brothers and sisters.

Forgive me if this topic has been talked about before on SC, but I'm very curious on this one.

I've noticed us Shia tend to talk about Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), Imam Ali (as), Imam Hassan & Husayn (as) and Sayyeda Fatima (as) and we know from Hadeeth al Kisaa that they are Ahlul Bayt. BUT.... what about the other Imams? they are Ahlul Bayt too! Why is it that we focus so much on the 5 mentioned and tend to touch on the other Imams (as) here and there with their ahadith, when their lives and stories are just as important?

Are we being ignorant? I want to know what your opinion on this is. What should be done about it?

Salam

Salam

All the Imams are the Ahlul Bayt ofcourse and have the same character and equal knowledge,power and excellence...However,still the Panjatan e Paak who comprise of Qatmi Martabat(saw),Shahzadi Janabe Fatima s.a. and Imam e Hassnain a.s. still have an even higher position.

But it is not that we should know lesser about our other Imams(a.s.).We can start by having discussions about our different Imams a.s.,isn't it?And here is what I would like to share:

An Incident related to the 7th Imam (a.s.). A man from the family of 'Umar b. al-Khatta`b was in Medina trying to harm Imam Abu al-Hasan Musa(a.s.), peace be on him. Whenever he saw (Abu` al-Hasan) he would curse him and curse Imam Ali(a.s.) One day some of those who used to attend Imam's(a.s.) gatherings said to him: "Let us kill this sinner."

He forbade them from (doing) that most firmly and rebuked them severely.

He asked about the descendant of 'Umar and was told that he had a farm on the outskirts of Medina. He rode out to him and found him at his farm. As he entered the farm with his donkey, the descendant of 'Umar cried out: "Do not tread on my sown land."

Yet Imam Abu` al-Hasan a.s., continued to tread on it with his donkey until he reached him. He dismounted and sat with him. He greeted him with a smile . Imam (A) then told him that he should not overwork himself and that the land he had was very good.

"How much have you paid to sow your land?" he then asked.

"One hundred dinars," (the other man) answered. "How much do you hope to acquire from it?" Imam al-Kazim a.s. asked.

"I do not know the unknown," was the reply.

"I only asked you about what you hope it would bring you" IMAM a.s. said.

"I hope that it will bring me two hundreds dinars," he answered. Imam Abu al-Hasan a.s. took out a purse in which was three hundred dinars and said: "This is (the price) of what you have sown in its present condition (i.e. what you have spent to sow it and what you hope to gain from it). May Allah provide you with what you hope for from it."

The descendant of 'Umar kissed his hand and asked him to forgive him his (former) hasty words about him. Abu` al-Hasan, peace be on him, smiled at him and went away.

In the evening,Imam Abu` al-Hasan a.s. went to the mosque and found that descendant of 'Umar sitting there. When the latter saw him, he called out: "Allah knows best where to put His (prophetic) mission." His companions jumped (in surprise) towards him and said to him: "What is the story (behind what you say), for you used to speak quite differently from this."

"You have heard what I have said now," he replied and began to speak on behalf of Imam Abu` al-Hasan a.s., peace be on him. They opposed him and he opposed them.

When Imam Abu` al-Hasan a.s. returned to his house, he said to those who attained his gatherings and who had asked about killing the descendant of 'Umar: "Which was better-what you wanted or what I wanted? I put right his attitude to the extent which you have now become acquainted with. I was sufficient to the evil that was in him."

Imam Abu al-Hasan a.s. (Musa al-Kazim a.s.) treated with kindness those who hated him and showed enimity towards him, so he was able to uproot evil inclinations from their souls, washed their brains which was full of ignorance and defect, and put before them the worlds of Him, the Exalted: "Repel (evil) with what is best, when lo! he between whom and you was enmity would be as if he were a warm friend."

Another sign of his clemency is that he passed by a group of his enemies among whom was Ibn Hayyajj, who ordered one of his followers to cling to the bridle of the Imam's mule, and he did. The Imam understood his purpose, so he dismounted the mule and gave it to him.In this manner the Imam gave the people an ideal example of clemency and tolerance. He, peace be on him, advised his son to cling to this noble quality. He said to him: "O My little son, I advise you to follow this commandment, which whoever memorizes takes advantage of it: When a comer comes to you and makes you hear a detested thing in the right ear and then moves to the left ear and apologizes to you and says, 'I have said nothing,' then accept his apology." Through this commandment, we can clearly understand Ima`m al-Ka`zim's abundant forbearance and tolerance. This is one of the information means leading to unity.

• Veteran Member
An Incident related to the 7th Imam.

Nice, thank you.

But I have some questions. Could you please clarify, thanks.

Imam Abu al-Hasan a.s. took out a purse in which was three hundred dinars and said: "This is (the price) of what you have sown in its present condition (i.e. what you have spent to sow it and what you hope to gain from it). May Allah provide you with what you hope for from it.".

I don't fully understand the point in giving him the 300 dinars.

The Imam understood his purpose, so he dismounted the mule and gave it to him.

What was his purpose ?