Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Wedding Night Etiquettes

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

As-Salaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

I have heard and read many times that on the wedding night a husband should wash his wife's feet and sprinkle that water around the corners of the room. I was wondeing if anyone knew in which hadith this is.

• Advanced Member

As-Salaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

I have heard and read many times that on the wedding night a husband should wash his wife's feet and sprinkle that water around the corners of the room. I was wondeing if anyone knew in which hadith this is.

(salam)

I think you will find this is an indian tradition and one not followed by muslims...

Allah has said that the Husband is the Majjaji-Huddha for his Wife - and that is how he should be respected etc..

If this was a traidtion of ours I'm sure I would have been told by my elders to follow it through on my wedding night - so such luck for my wife though!!

Salaam.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I also thought its an indian tradition when my elders made me do it but then I saw that it is mentioned in tohfatul awam. Here is the hadith:

The groom should wash the bride’s feet and sprinkle that water in all the four corners of the room and house. Allāh (swt) will remove 70,000 types of poverty, 70,000 types of blessings will enter the house and 70,000 blessings will come upon the bride and groom. The bride will be safe from insanity, ulcers and leprosy ---> Wasāil ash-Shī‘a, vol. 20, pg. 249, no. 25555

http://www.al-islam.org/heavenlypath/2.htm

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I also thought its an indian tradition when my elders made me do it but then I saw that it is mentioned in tohfatul awam. Here is the hadith:

The groom should wash the bride's feet and sprinkle that water in all the four corners of the room and house. Allāh (swt) will remove 70,000 types of poverty, 70,000 types of blessings will enter the house and 70,000 blessings will come upon the bride and groom. The bride will be safe from insanity, ulcers and leprosy ---> Wasāil ash-Shī'a, vol. 20, pg. 249, no. 25555

http://www.al-islam....venlypath/2.htm

that shuts up the nai'ers aint it.. !!

Jazaak Allah for the excellent reply..

• Advanced Member

I think you will find this is an indian tradition and one not followed by muslims...

If this was a traidtion of ours I'm sure I would have been told by my elders to follow it through on my wedding night - so such luck for my wife though!!

These are not "indian customs" but rather teachings of the Ahlulbayt (as). You can find similar hadiths in the book Heliyat al-Mottaqin, by Allameh Majlisi, where there is a whole chapter devoted to the issue of marriage etc.

Respected brother, just because your elders did not tell you to follow it through, doesn't mean it is not a tradition of the Ahlulbayt (as).

Edited by yaaAbbas

• Advanced Member

The hadeeth TrailBlazer mentioned is also discussed in the book 'Marriage and Morals in Islam' by Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi: http://www.al-islam.org/m_morals/index.htm

He includes it in the section where he talks about the recommended acts before one consummates the marriage, it is not something that is considered obligatory though. Rather, it's in line with other hadeeths which speak in favour of foreplay for example, to ease discomfort of any sort. Thus, to appreciate Ya Aba's humour (feet + tinea = unhappy husband) you will need to understand that the overall message is to do what you both feel comfortable with, there is no 'should' unless stated otherwise by Islamic law.

• Advanced Member

Salam

Yep. :D

My mother (not shia but lover of AhlulBayt) made my husband do this and I also thought it was some kind of asian tradition.

After the bride has entered the room, the groom is recommended to take off the bride's shoes, wash her feet (in a washbowl) and then sprinkle the water around the room.

Then the groom should do wuzu and pray two rak'at sunnat prayer and then recite the following du'a:

Allahummar zuqni ulfataha wa wuddaha wa rizaha bi; war zini biha, waj ma' baynana bi ahsani ijtima'in wa anfasi i'tilafin; fa innaka tuhibbul halal wa tukrihul haram.

O Allah! bless me with her affection, love and her acceptance of me; and make me pleased with her, and bring us together in the best form of a union and in absolute harmony; surely You like lawful things and dislike unlawful things.

from Marriage and Morals in Islam Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

The groom should wash the bride’s feet and sprinkle that water in all the four corners of the room and house. Allāh (swt) will remove 70,000 types of poverty, 70,000 types of blessings will enter the house and 70,000 blessings will come upon the bride and groom. The bride will be safe from insanity, ulcers and leprosy ---> Wasāil ash-Shī‘a, vol. 20, pg. 249, no. 25555

http://www.al-islam.org/heavenlypath/2.htm

This hadeeth is originally recording in Al-Sadooq's Man Laa YaHDuruh Al-Faqeeh, vol. 3, pg. 551-552, hadeeth # 4899. It seems as if the chain of narrators goes through sunni narrators, as Al-Majlisi I (Majlisi's father) has said this in his RawDah Al-Muttaqeen, vol. 9, pg. 228. This hadeeth does entail that there will be reward for those actions, so by other aHaadeeth doing this action and it turning out not to be actually the words of the ma`soomeen, you will still get credit.

Wallaahu A`lim.

(salam)

Edited by Nader Zaveri

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...