Sign in to follow this  
Saved

Why Imam Ali (as) Was Named "ali"

Rate this topic

(salam)

I read this on my personal copy of the 'Alim software, which is strictly Sunni. I find it very interesting. It narrates why Imam Ali (as) was named "Ali".

Ali was born under unusual circumstances. On the thirteenth of the holy month of "Rajab", Fatima, the mother of Ali, visited the Kaaba for performing the pilgrimage. During the course of the pilgrimage while circumambulating the Kaaba, Fatima felt the pangs of childbirth. She retired to a secluded place in the precincts of the Holy Kaaba, and there Ali was born. Ali had thus the unique honor of being born in the House of God. This unparalleled honor has endowed Ali with a halo of sanctity, which has become the subject of many legends. A hundred years later, Zain-ul-Abidin a grandson of Ali (son of Husain) met as Arab woman at Najaf who told him that her grandmother had helped on the occasion of the birth of Ali. She narrated that according to the account of her grandmother, the child was beautiful, a smile played on his lips, it did not cry like other children, and its birth did not cause any pain to his mother.

Fatima wanted to name the child "Asad" after the name of her father. Abu Talib wanted to name him Zaid. When the mother and the child came home, the Holy Prophet, and Khadija came to see the newborn child. Since his birth, the child had not opened his eyes, and that worried Fatima and Abu Talib. As the Holy Prophet took the child in his lap he opened his eyes. The first person that Ali saw after his birth was the Holy Prophet. When the Holy Prophet was asked

whether he approved of the child being named as Asad or Zaid, he said that as the child was born in the House of God, he should be named Ali, the word Ali being a derivative of Allah. Ali had thus the distinction of being named after Allah. No person before him had ever been so named. The name acquired further sanctity as it was proposed by the Holy Prophet.

..No person before him had ever been so named..

Isn't the Prophet's (pbuh) name derived from one of Allah's (swt) names? I remember that in hadith-e-noor, Allah (swt) named the 5 members of Ahlul-Kisa (as) after His own names. Can someone verify this?

Edited by Jay

Isn't the Prophet's (pbuh) name derived from one of Allah's (swt) names? I remember that in hadith-e-noor, Allah (swt) named the 5 members of Ahlul-Kisa (as) after His own names. Can someone verify this?

You are right. The names of all the five members of the Ahl al-Kisa (as) are derived from Allah's Names. But these guys are Sunnis. They may not know that.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Can you get the exact book reference for this from the software? I had the Alim software but seem to have misplaced it...

Shukran

It is in the "biography" section of the 'Alim software.

please brother "saved" kindly give us the actually reference(s) of the sunni narration you presented.

Jazakallah Khair!

No references have been given in the software.