Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Legally Marriage

Rate this topic

salam alaykum wr br everyone!'

I would like to know that how it works when a muslim man marry second girl.

According to law here its not legal to have moore than one wife at same time.

Whats the options?

as far as I know I can divoce my first wife according ti the Western way, but will the nikah remain,

since its not Islamic Talaaq?

I live in Scandinavia

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Yes the nikah will remain until you give her talak as per the sharia.

Infact, since the way personal taxes are assessed, in some countries it is better to be "legally" cohabiting (with islamic nikah done) rather than registering the marriage.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I don't agree with you about personal taxes. Based on my experiences, you can either filed taxes separately or jointly and it won't make a difference (this is true for the US).

They are many reasons to be married legally and registered according to the law of land. One big example is health insurance. They don't allow spouse to be insured unless he/she is married legally. Second example is inheritance. If your spouse died, then you get the property by default.

• Advanced Member

Whats the options?

as far as I know I can divoce my first wife according ti the Western way, but will the nikah remain,

I live in Scandinavia

Many families with more than 1 wife have 1 wife that is legally + Islamically married to the man, often the first, with the second/third/fourth married only Islamically. Technically this doesn't violate any laws unless you start getting benefits or something for the second wife but as far as I know, as long as you don't try to legally marry again you're fine.

And yeah that's right re divorcing your wife, if you want to do so you would need to do it in the Western and Islamic way, but many mosques can make it so the process is intertwined.

• Advanced Member

Don't forget legal representation and the custody on children!

If you have no formal registration of your relationship, either marriage or cohabiting contract, you're no more than accidental flatmates to the law. So even, Allah forbid, one of you should end up unconscious in an ICU, the other wouldn't have legal representation and any other family member's say would prevail over yours. If you don't have any kind of registration, the father won't be considered a legal representative of his child, even if he has acknowledged it and the child carries his name.

Just some things to think of...

Don't forget legal representation and the custody on children!

If you have no formal registration of your relationship, either marriage or cohabiting contract, you're no more than accidental flatmates to the law. So even, Allah forbid, one of you should end up unconscious in an ICU, the other wouldn't have legal representation and any other family member's say would prevail over yours. If you don't have any kind of registration, the father won't be considered a legal representative of his child, even if he has acknowledged it and the child carries his name.

Just some things to think of...

Doctor what if todays latest results prove biological roots and if child is really managed by one of spouses claim, why law interfere b/w love of parent-child bonds.

• Advanced Member

Doesn't matter. Issue comes up especially if parents are divorced of course. Even if they pay alimentation. A close friend of mine had this dispute with her ex husband (islamic, never legal marriage) over getting a passport for their toddler son. the namard had effectively made her passport with her son's subscription in it disappear when she had fled the house from his violence, and now he'd refuse to sign for a passport for the boy himself. This was quite an issue, until she was told at the city hall that the father had actually no legal authority over the child, even though he had acknowledged the boy, so she was free to get him a passport.

• Veteran Member

Whats the options?

I live in Scandinavia

Are you the Syed guy who married a non-syed girl in a 'love marriage' and now in order to keep his parents happy is going to marry a Syed girl. !! If so sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it to the detriment of 2 women but hey why worry about that your a guy and a Syed so it doesnt matter