Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Diakhan150909

Why Do Shias Whear The Kara?

Rate this topic

(salam)

I don't own a silver bracelet. Do you mean men or women wearing bracelet? :unsure:

Men.

Have you never seen Shia men wearing one?

800px-Kara_worn_on_right_arm.JPG

]in memory of imam ali zain ul abedeen (as) being tied with chains

Is that really so? I have other reasons such as wearing for mannat etc.

But kara is actually one of the five Ks in Sikhism. Check this link. The picture above also comes from this link: LOOK UP

I was just wondering why shias wear a kara (the silver bangle)

Some shia wear these karas on their wrists and ankles. The ones on the wrists may have some dua on it.

But its usually worn as a vow.

could i also get some evidence as to why we wear them too

as br haideriam stated it is done in the memory of Imam Sajjad (as) but i don't think you will find evidence in the ahadith of Masomeen (as).

Mannat

Depictions of the Pious Prisoners of Ahl Al Bayt (as)

holy scripture on it for blessings

ammm .. lets see what else....maybe just maybe... to SHOW OFF TO A SALAFI / YAZIDI... that look i'm shia .. ha !

(bismillah)

After the tragedy of Karbala the family of Prophet (S) was made captive. The hands of Imam Zain al-Abedeen (as) and others were tied up and they were taken to Syria to Yazid (LA) who also kept them in prison. Shia wear the Kara in its memory. The red-yellow ropes are also worn in memory of the ropes or chains placed on the wrists, neck and feet of Karbala captives. You may see some people wearing iron cuffs on their necks and wrists and even iron chains on their feet.

This is a way to remember, protest and show others the hardsips Ahlul Bait (as) had to face.

Is that really so? I have other reasons such as wearing for mannat etc.

Yes its also worn for mannat. But the munnat is that if such and such happens (e.g. sick child gets well) the mother will make him wear the Kara (or red-yellow ropes) in memory of the ropes/chains that were used to tie up the Karbala captiives.

But kara is actually one of the five Ks in Sikhism. Check this link. The picture above also comes from this link: LOOK UP

Sikh also eat food and so do we. What we do has nothing to do with Sikhism. Marbles, first you attack Azadari rituals. And now you compare Kara to Sikhism. What has gone wrong with you???? :unsure:

Sikh also eat food and so do we. What we do has nothing to do with Sikhism. Marbles, first you attack Azadari rituals. And now you compare Kara to Sikhism. What has gone wrong with you???? :unsure:

(bismillah)

(salam)

classic

(wasalam)

Bismillah,

How come kara's are only found in desi culture? And please brother, the red/yellow rope is straight from hinduism.

I am not saying it is haraam, but lets not forget where these practices actually originated from. It didn't come from Shia Islam, but from culture. Which is fine in it of itself except maybe the yellow/red rope which is a clear sign of hinduism.

Just type in "red and yellow string bracelet, hinduism" into google.

I have a green rope tied around my wrist and it's directly from inside the shrine of Imam Hussain (as)

Is that wrong?

Bismillah,

How come kara's are only found in desi culture? And please brother, the red/yellow rope is straight from hinduism.

I am not saying it is haraam, but lets not forget where these practices actually originated from. It didn't come from Shia Islam, but from culture. Which is fine in it of itself except maybe the yellow/red rope which is a clear sign of hinduism.

Just type in "red and yellow string bracelet, hinduism" into google.

Some people eat "saywaian" and "cake" on Eid day. Does that mean this practice is a "clear sign" of Hinduism and Christianity?????

(salam) (bismillah)

I am sure you have heard the story of Imam Ali Redha (as). A man approached the holy Imam (as) and told the Imam he was poor and hungry. Imam gave the man his sandals, the man was astonished and asked why Imam (as) had given him sandals when he was hungry. Imam told him that these sandals would be enough to feed 70 generations of his family. The man left disappointed and confused, on his way he met a lover of the Imam (as) who had with him dozens of camels filled to the brim with musk and items worth a lot of money. This lover of Imam asked the poor man what he had in his hands, the poor man replied by saying it is the shoes of Imam Ali Redha (as). The lover of imam (as) immediately inquired the price for it and offered every last camel he had (loaded to the brim with expensive items). The poor man accepted and the lover of Imam (as) now had the sandals. However he found one problem; he could not wear these blessed sandals, so he placed them on his head. He began to worry about how he would keep these sandals on his head, so he used a rope and tied the sandals to his head. This man then went on to stop a flood in a village by telling the villagers who had come seeking Imam (as) to ask the flood to stop for the sake of the sandals on his head.

(could not find the story online so I had to type it out from memory. Don't let the adjectives fool you into thinking that this is directly from the source. Feel free to make any corrections and write the name of the man if you can remember.)

Edit: I believe his name was Maruf Karkhi

I would like someone to find an Ayat of the Quran where it says to tie the shoes of your current Imam to your head. No Ayah like that, is there? Didn't think so.. It is about you niyah, if you do it out of love I doubt the merciful will show you anything but love in return.

Edited by ShiaSoldier@2007

How come kara's are only found in desi culture?

That would be my line of thinking as well. If a tradition is only found in Indian sub-continent Muslims (and not amongst Muslims elsewhere) and if it is similar to Hindu/Sikh practice, then perhaps it has at least borrowed elements from those religions.

Previously I used to subscribe to the line that Hindu converts brought these practices with them. But I've since read a paper that argues that the DNA make-up of Shias in India shows much less sign of inter-marriage than that of Sunnis in India.

OTOH one factor which could account for such practices is that Shias have been more open to Hindu participation in our rituals. I've seen lots of evidence for this and read about it. Don't know whether it extend to Sikhs. To that extent maybe Shias have been willing to 'borrow' Hindu practices?

However, there is the issue as to whether it is wrong?

Say, non-Muslims in Western countries give each other Ferrero Rocher chocolates on special occasions. Because such chocolates are easy to get hold of and well packaged, Muslims start sharing them as well on Eid. Is there anything necessarily wrong with that?

I am very much against anti-women marriage rituals that have come into Indian Islam via Hinduism, but if something is not inherently anti-Islamic - what's wrong with it?

Mannat

Depictions of the Pious Prisoners of Ahl Al Bayt (as)

holy scripture on it for blessings

ammm .. lets see what else....maybe just maybe... to SHOW OFF TO A SALAFI / YAZIDI... that look i'm shia .. ha !

hahaa the last reason sounds great ;-)

As'salaamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Well i have a Kara (Iron) on my ankle

I ware it in memory of Imam Zayn Al-Abidin Shahenshah Badshah (pbuh)

But i have always ben wondering where this practise comes from

I have heard that it was Arabic culture for a slave to ware a bracelet / Anklet with the name of his "Master" inscribed in it.

But i aint sure.

Ya Ali (pbuh) Haqq!

Edited by GhulamMahdi

No need to get emotional brother, emotions get in the way of rational thought.

What gave you the idea that I am getting emotional?

Like I said, it may not be necessarily be haraam to wear certain things (maybe the red/yellow string bracelet is, because it is a SIGN of hinduism), but to say that it is mustahab or wajib is bid'a and to say it is from Islam is incorrect.

Who said its "Wajib". However, It could become wajib if you had done a nazar (vow to Allah) i.e. if you promised that you will wear it if you got well or something.

Eating cake or saywaian on Eid is fine just like it may be fine to wear a kara, but to say it is from Islam, that is wrong,

As I have said earlier its a way to remember the imprisonment of Ahlul Bait (as) after Karbala. The tieing up of their hands, feet. Some people actually put on iron hand cuffs, neck cuffs and chains. Some wear Kara. And some just wear the red-yellow thread to symbolize the rope. Why is it so difficult to understand?

hahaa the last reason sounds great ;-)

but on a serious note...

i did a very bad thing once.. was kinda naughty.. so my mom went to the Imam Barga and made a mannat..

the next thing i know i was wearing a Kara.. it was very plain and round and heavy.. silverish and shiny...

she had me wearing that for almost a month and every time i wanted to remove it she said no.. not until she says to remove..

one fine day she came and said that i could remove if i wanted to, so i did and asked her why she had me wearing it for so long..

she said that to prevent me from doing my naughty again , she had gone and made a mannat to Imam that she will make wear the 'jewelery of a prisoner' if i were to stay away from being naughty... for so and so time.. till i eventualy did not be the same anymore...

i know 1 thing though.. i have till now after 6 years of this incident never done or even thought about that bad thing i did just once.. Maa ji was very very strict..

2nd story...

A cousin of mine was born in muharram.. probably the 7th or the 9th.. not sure.. anyways... he used to wear the kara for like 9 years of his child hood life until some time back when he asked an aalim and he allowed him to remove it .. and wear it if he wills..or his mother wants him to.. he asked his mom and she allowed it too.. so he doesnt wear it anymore...

moral of the stories................==================== kara wearing is also due to mannat = =========.................... among other reasons.. and no i strongly believe its got nothing to do with the sikhs or hindus or whatever is being compared here... daft .. logic to start with comparing a shia legitimate practice with that of the idol worshipers.... Ma'az Allah

if i were to wear one now it would only be that i want to depict the oppression of the 4th Imam and His conditions during the aftermath of Karbala ...

no harm in wearing it .. its not gold and it definitely is not zeenat of a man... some also wear bracelets made of silver with some stone it .. coz they that stones effect on their veins in the forearms..

Wallah A'ala wa A'alam

but on a serious note...

i did a very bad thing once.. was kinda naughty.. so my mom went to the Imam Barga and made a mannat..

the next thing i know i was wearing a Kara.. it was very plain and round and heavy.. silverish and shiny...

she had me wearing that for almost a month and every time i wanted to remove it she said no.. not until she says to remove..

one fine day she came and said that i could remove if i wanted to, so i did and asked her why she had me wearing it for so long..

she said that to prevent me from doing my naughty again , she had gone and made a mannat to Imam that she will make wear the 'jewelery of a prisoner' if i were to stay away from being naughty... for so and so time.. till i eventualy did not be the same anymore...

i know 1 thing though.. i have till now after 6 years of this incident never done or even thought about that bad thing i did just once.. Maa ji was very very strict..

2nd story...

A cousin of mine was born in muharram.. probably the 7th or the 9th.. not sure.. anyways... he used to wear the kara for like 9 years of his child hood life until some time back when he asked an aalim and he allowed him to remove it .. and wear it if he wills..or his mother wants him to.. he asked his mom and she allowed it too.. so he doesnt wear it anymore...

moral of the stories................==================== kara wearing is also due to mannat = =========.................... among other reasons.. and no i strongly believe its got nothing to do with the sikhs or hindus or whatever is being compared here... daft .. logic to start with comparing a shia legitimate practice with that of the idol worshipers.... Ma'az Allah

if i were to wear one now it would only be that i want to depict the oppression of the 4th Imam and His conditions during the aftermath of Karbala ...

no harm in wearing it .. its not gold and it definitely is not zeenat of a man... some also wear bracelets made of silver with some stone it .. coz they that stones effect on their veins in the forearms..

Wallah A'ala wa A'alam

The Key word in your story is the 'jewelery of a prisoner'. We wear Karas because our 4th Imam (as) along with the rest of the family of Imam Hussain (as) were taken prisoners after Karbala and they were tied up. Let the Hindus, Sikhs or people of some other faith wear it for their own reasons. We dont wear it for them, we wear it for our own reasons.

WS

Asalamu-Alekum,

Wearing of Kara(Bangle) is form Pakistani/Indian Punjabi Culture, it is having nothing to do with the Islam, Almost all Islamic Scholars agree on this point that it is unislamic,

Has Anyone met with the Some Ayatullah's wearing bangles, when you shake hands with them if they see it they will strictly tell you to remove it.

It is my request to all brothers to stop wearing such things, BUT OUR SISTERS CAN WEAR IT .......

Asalamu-Alekum,

Wearing of Kara(Bangle) is form Pakistani/Indian Punjabi Culture, it is having nothing to do with the Islam, Almost all Islamic Scholars agree on this point that it is unislamic,

Please provide the fatwa. Thanks.

Has Anyone met with the Some Ayatullah's wearing bangles, when you shake hands with them if they see it they will strictly tell you to remove it.

It is my request to all brothers to stop wearing such things, BUT OUR SISTERS CAN WEAR IT

There is a difference b/w wearing a kara/bangle as ornamental jewelery. And wearing it to mark the hand-cuffs placed on the wrists of Imam Zain al-Abedeen (as). Please provide fatwa.

Salam

Ya Ali Madad

Hope everyone is well and in good health.

90% of our shias that you ask, why do they wear kara? they will tell you it is Sunnat of Imam Zainul Abedeen (as). To Remember his pain and suffering whilst he was held as a prisoner! However this is not the correct reason.

If we wanted to act upon this, the correct Sunnat of Imam Zainal Abedeen (as) would be to get proper heavy iron chains, karas, anklets, and neck chains with the exact weight, and nails etc etc that would actually make us bleed and suffer also. Also if it is Sunnat of Imam Zainab Abedeen (as), then why are our karas so beautifully made?

As my brother in a previous post mention, in the old days, slaves used to wear bracelets with their masters name engraved. Whenever thay put their hand forward people would know who their master is. It was a way to show that "we are imprionsed in the love of our master".

Sarkar Syed Shahabaz Qalandar, was the first person to introduce to us the wearing of tha kara in Pakistan and Indian and many other countries. Whenever someone comes to shake our hand, and they see our kara, they know we are the Lovers of Imam Zainal Abedeen (as) and we are imprisoned in his love!

and believe me, it works, everytime some1 sees a Shia kara on you, they will automatically know, you are a follower of the glorious Ahlebait (as)

Wsalam

Ya ALi Madad

(bismillah)

After the tragedy of Karbala the family of Prophet (S) was made captive. The hands of Imam Zain al-Abedeen (as) and others were tied up and they were taken to Syria to Yazid (LA) who also kept them in prison. Shia wear the Kara in its memory. The red-yellow ropes are also worn in memory of the ropes or chains placed on the wrists, neck and feet of Karbala captives. You may see some people wearing iron cuffs on their necks and wrists and even iron chains on their feet.

This is a way to remember, protest and show others the hardsips Ahlul Bait (as) had to face.

Yes its also worn for mannat. But the munnat is that if such and such happens (e.g. sick child gets well) the mother will make him wear the Kara (or red-yellow ropes) in memory of the ropes/chains that were used to tie up the Karbala captiives.

Salam

It is very important to remind ppl that this isnt part of Shiaism, Its just abit of Culture.

WS

I have a green rope tied around my wrist and it's directly from inside the shrine of Imam Hussain (as)

Is that wrong?

No its not wrong but if you think its going to help you or protect you then its a BIG SHIRK. If you wear it just to remember Imam Hussain then im certain it is not wrong.

Edited by asharp

its not haram.

its not even makrooh.

we wear it because we want to wear it. we dont need to explain any further, mind your own damn business you literalism nazis.

shouldnt you all be busy emailing your marjas for fatwas to do with mutah or something......?

its not haram.

its not even makrooh.

we wear it because we want to wear it. we dont need to explain any further, mind your own damn business you literalism nazis.

shouldnt you all be busy emailing your marjas for fatwas to do with mutah or something......?

LOL oh geooooo maula zindigi devey!

Also the red string everyone is on about is to show that we are the Mureeds of Sarkar Syed Shahbaz Qalandar Shainsha, its a malang thing so most of you dont need to worry about it!!!!!

Not really. I wear a string on my wrist but it was given to me directly from inside the shrine of Imam Hussain (as).

^ different places have different cultural expressions of grief bro

but yours sounds AMAZING, mashallah how on earth did you get THAT

LOL! I have no special culture sir, just the usual Paki stuff.

I got the string whilst I was in Karbala. The caretakers of the shrine were giving it out. I wasn't able to get one at the time, but my mum on the other side was able to get a few.

Hasn't come off me since, it's been over a year now.

LOL! I have no special culture sir, just the usual Paki stuff.

I got the string whilst I was in Karbala. The caretakers of the shrine were giving it out. I wasn't able to get one at the time, but my mum on the other side was able to get a few.

Hasn't come off me since, it's been over a year now.

my god

may this string be a badge of your shifa when you present it to sayyeda tahira (sa) on qiyaamat, insha'Allah, i feel humbled to be talking to you again.....man you stood on baynul haramein, what did you do right that i do wrong that prevents me from going

my god

may this string be a badge of your shifa when you present it to sayyeda tahira (sa) on qiyaamat, insha'Allah, i feel humbled to be talking to you again.....man you stood on baynul haramein, what did you do right that i do wrong that prevents me from going

I don't know - I was telling Imams (as) at their shrines that I do not deserve to be in their presence. I pray that all the lovers of Ahlulbayt (as) get to go whenever they want.

(I've changed my avatar to the one you like :))