Sign in to follow this  
Umair Jafri

Everything Is Made Up Of Pairs

Rate this topic

Salam,

An atheist has asked me the following question, regarding everything is made up of pairs according to Islam.

How can everything be made in pairs? what is the basis behind this surah in the Quraan?

The Qur'an makes the following statement:

And of every thing We have created pairs:

That ye may receive instruction.

-- Sura 51:49

Can anyone Answer Please.

Umair Jafri

Sorry I came back to Shia chat after a long time.

I didnt know there was another forum for Atheists.

Anyways, I hope Admins can cut/paste that.

Thanks.

On 11/26/2010 at 5:59 PM, learn said:

Salam,

An atheist has asked me the following question, regarding everything is made up of pairs according to Islam.

How can everything be made in pairs? what is the basis behind this surah in the Quraan?

Umair Jafri

Thanks.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Holy Qur'an Sura 51 Aya 49

وَمِن كُلِّ شَيْءٍ خَلَقْنَا زَوْجَيْنِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَذَكَّرُونَ

[shakir 51:49] And of everything We have created pairs that you may be mindful.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 51:49]

Aqa Mahdi Puya says: The pairing may refer to the composite nature of the created beings, or to the positive and negative aspects in creation.

See also Sura Yaseen, aya 36.

Holy Qur'an Sura 36 Aya 36

سُبْحَانَ الَّذِي خَلَقَ الْأَزْوَاجَ كُلَّهَا مِمَّا تُنبِتُ الْأَرْضُ وَمِنْ أَنفُسِهِمْ وَمِمَّا لَا يَعْلَمُونَ

[shakir 36:36] Glory be to Him Who created pairs of all things, of what the Earth grows, and of their kind and of what they do not know.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 36:36]

The constitution of the material world and the various kinds of energies functioning in the universe are working in pairs of opposite kinds. The factor of sex is active in human, animal and vegetable life and in other forms of activity, manifest and hidden. The mystery of sex runs through all creation.

Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

This verse indicates that not only the living beings, but also the plants exists in pairs which fact was not known to the people of the age as an universal proposition. It also points out the existence in pairs of kinds even beyond the animal and the plant realms.

Source: http://Qur'an.al-Islam.org/

Edited by Hameedeh
Replace Arabic fonts that were messed up.

Salam,

Umair Jafri

Thanks.

(bismillah) (salam)

Wow it sounds alot like it is referring to homologous chromosomes.

Thank you for Answering the Question.

So essentially I can say with this regards that.

1) The pairing may refer to the composite nature of the created beings, or to the positive and negative aspects in creation.

(I think what I can derive from this, the fact that since everything is made up of energy - i.e. if we break down molecules to atoms, atoms to sub atomic-particles, positive protons and negative electron and maybe if we further break them down we are left with energy which is also made up of positives and negatives.)

2) The constitution of the material world and the various kinds of energies functioning in the universe are working in pairs of opposite kinds. The factor of sex is active in human, animal and vegetable life and in other forms of activity, manifest and hidden. The mystery of sex runs through all creation.

3) This verse indicates that not only the living beings, but also the plants exists in pairs which fact was not known to the people of the age as an universal proposition. It also points out the existence in pairs of kinds even beyond the animal and the plant realms.

4) Chromosomes are a perfect example.

Sounds good

Thanks

Assalam alaykum,

No offence, but I disagree with the previous posts.

I think nothing less than a saheeh hadeeth where the Prophet (pbuh) or the Aimmah (Imams) (as) give a tafseer of this verse is satisfactory for this verse.

Saying that the verse refers to creation is a very wish-washy answer and would depend on how you managed to somehow divide everything in pairs; that can't be the right answer. Nor can it refer to how everything has a pair, "even plants", because that explanation breaks down when you get to bacteria, etc., which are not in pairs (no matter how islamonline.net tried to twist it).

It doesn't even matter if you never found out what this verse means. It's hardly important. So what if you don't know what it means? It doesn't prove or disprove God or the Quran.

Peace.

Edited by Perseverance

I think we are not proving every single item. It would be good if we could but the thing is as you said, we have a time constraint, technological constraint, microscopic depth constraint, R&D and many others. To finish off I think for the sake of my argument with an atheist on another website - if certain points in general are proven rest are a bit vague, then I think the generalization makes a sense in the form of good solid information. Because not everyone is well versed in every single aspect of life or our different perception about pairs we all connect in our minds. If Quraan say there are pairs then there are pairs. Thats it! We dont have to prove every single item or try to make up things. Generalization is done, examples are available. I guess this is enough. With regards to bacteria or virus, i dont know (Allah ho Alam). But I guess we are supposed to believe what Quraan Says i.e. they are made of pairs also. But since we dont have the proves yet - we should ask more people for further research since we know that there is no possibility that they dont have pairs. Maybe those researcher could find a solution or maybe our coming generations. But the question to further research shouldnt stop. That what I believe.

But thank you all for the discussion and expanding my knowledge. Shia Chat has grown a lot over time. I think if they improve a little bit on their website and try to advertise a bit then it will excel even further. Mashallah :D

Edited by learn

On 11/27/2010 at 9:06 AM, Perseverance said:

It doesn't even matter if you never found out what this verse means. It's hardly important. So what if you don't know what it means? It doesn't prove or disprove God or the Qur'an.

Well, there's a reason why the atheist friend of the OP, asked him the question in the first place. He did have a problem with understanding the verse. Read this commentary on the verse:

https://www.hilmi.eu/Islam/books/maaref-foundation/www.maaref-foundation.com/english/index.htm

The possibility that this is a reference to atoms and what is in them, can not be completely rejected.

wa (salam)

[Mod Note: The link above to The Light of The Holy Qur'an at maaref-foundation website was updated, because the site migrated to hilmi.eu, however the English translation for Surah 36 is not available. Adobe is also required to read other surahs.]

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note and link.