Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Does Qamah Hurt ?

Rate this topic

YaAliYaHusain

Salaam Bros i was thinking that i should do qamah this moharram i have one question that does it hurt because im only 13

Obviously it hurts. Don't do it, it's useless and idiotic.

Besides, your parents may not like it either. It's not worth upsetting your parents over such idiocy.

Malangs- Sorry to break your bubble but Bibi Paak does not give dua to people who cut themselves.

• Veteran Member

Besides, your parents may not like it either. It's not worth upsetting your parents over such idiocy.

Malangs- Sorry to break your bubble but Bibi Paak does not give dua to people who cut themselves.

people only do it (in general) because they come from such a family. In fact, nothing would make his parent more proud.

I have never come across anyone, who is into this, without being indoctrinated by family members.

Many say it is the greatest act of worship, I'm not sure what they make of the adhan,"Hayya ala Khairil amal"

Edited by ShahHussain

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

Salaam Bros i was thinking that i should do qamah this moharram i have one question that does it hurt because im only 13

Wow, Amazing! In one thread you are asking if it is allowed in Shee`ah Islaam to have sex, and in this thread you are wanting to do Qamah. I am surprised no one caught this.

Ugh, this is disheartening. This is one of the problems with our youth, they are so fascinated with this qamah/matam/zanjeer/noha thing, they do NOT even know ANYTHING about the beliefs of islaam. Anyone who has a read a single book or who has heard AT LEAST one majlis would know that sex is permissible to do in islaam, in the bounds of sharee`ah (islaamic law) of course, but you are wanting to do qamah?

I know you are 13 years old, and it seems harsh, but you don't see ANYTHING wrong with this? Don't you believe that you should know the beliefs of Shee`ah Islaam before doing this "qamah" thing? Don't you think you should know exactly WHAT Imaam Al-Hussayn (as) was standing up for against Yazeed, instead of doing this thing that is "for Imaam al-Hussayn"? We should all get our priorities straight.

(salam)

Edited by Nader Zaveri

(salam)

(bismillah)

Wow, Amazing! In one thread you are asking if it is allowed in Shee`ah Islaam to have sex, and in this thread you are wanting to do Qamah. I am surprised no one caught this.

Ugh, this is disheartening. This is one of the problems with our youth, they are so fascinated with this qamah/matam/zanjeer/noha thing, they do NOT even know ANYTHING about the beliefs of islaam. Anyone who has a read a single book or who has heard AT LEAST one majlis would know that sex is permissible to do in islaam, in the bounds of sharee`ah (islaamic law) of course, but you are wanting to do qamah?

I know you are 13 years old, and it seems harsh, but you don't see ANYTHING wrong with this? Don't you believe that you should know the beliefs of Shee`ah Islaam before doing this "qamah" thing? Don't you think you should know exactly WHAT Imaam Al-Hussayn (as) was standing up for against Yazeed, instead of doing this thing that is "for Imaam al-Hussayn"? We should all get our priorities straight.

(salam)

But...but...don't you get duas from bib pak for cutting up yourself. Ayatollah Malang al Matami said If you don't believe this then your birth was illegit.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

But...but...don't you get duas from bib pak for cutting up yourself. Ayatollah Malang al Matami said If you don't believe this then your birth was illegit.

You've got to be kidding me. This has to be a joke right? I must be on a show called "Punked" and Ashton Kutcher is about to come out of no where and say, "You've just been punked!"

(salam)

Edited by Nader Zaveri

(salam)

(bismillah)

You've got to be kidding me. This has to be a joke right? I must be on a show called "Punked" and Ashton Kutcher is about to come out of no where and say, "You've just been punked!"

(salam)

Well........................Yes I was kidding. But believe it or not, there is a user on SC called "Maula dha Malang" who did argue that they do qama to gain Bibi Pak's du'a.

As for the illegit birth part, although I made up a fictional 'ayatollah'; but every other zakir in these 'special' areas barks this rubbish non stop.

Side note: Can not believe people actually fell for such sarcasm.

Are there ahadiths that say that bibi Fatima (as) makes du'a for those who mourn for Imam Hussain (as), I'm talking in general here?

Any references

Nope(to the best of my knowledge). To be with ahlulbayt(AS) in the hereafter you have to fufill the fardh acts. To be even more close to them, you should also do the mustahab acts; which includes azadari provided it's done as told by them instead of aping the rituals started by some ex sufi tribes and promoted by the eunuch led government to control the masses.

But anyhow, there's no explicit nass about any of the masoomeen making du'a for performing certain acts. Of course you gain their(and in turn Allah)'s pleasure by being righteous and be extra eligible for the shafa'at(if that is what you meant by du'a) of ahlulbayt.

Edited by khaamba

• Advanced Member

(salam)

With all due respect to the O.P, don't post any topics about Qama Zani here.. We have some people who want to mock the sha3ir of Imam Hussain (a.s) and cause problems.

I loved how you came to the conclusion of what his parents think. How do you know his parents won't like it?

Idiocy? I hope you call it Idiocy in the day of judgement, and we will see Imam Hussains response to you.

Members of SC disgust me,where they post without logic and sense.

Eltemase Doa.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

sorry to be rude but i know everything about islam and i have never ever heard a majlis on s.e.x

and i know exactly why Imaam Al-Hussayn (as) was standing up for against Yazeed

• Veteran Member

sorry to be rude but i know everything about islam and i have never ever heard a majlis on s.e.x

and i know exactly why Imaam Al-Hussayn (as) was standing up for against Yazeed

that's a bit of a wild claim isn't it? If you think you know everything, chances are you don't know that much (no offence) but with islam, i find it's a bit of a "the more you learn, the less you know" type thing there is just so much to learn in many different fields, and I'm only talking about in english, I would imagine those who speak arabic feel that effect lot more. That is why our scholars never really stop studying, it is a life time commitement.

But if you truely want to go down this road, isn't the point to be in as much pain as possible? if you don't feel any pain why do it, you should do it, then get someone to keep pouring salt water on you, i reckon that way, you'd get a much better effect

(salam)

With all due respect to the O.P, don't post any topics about Qama Zani here.. We have some people who want to mock the sha3ir of Imam Hussain (a.s) and cause problems.

I loved how you came to the conclusion of what his parents think. How do you know his parents won't like it?

Idiocy? I hope you call it Idiocy in the day of judgement, and we will see Imam Hussains response to you.

Members of SC disgust me,where they post without logic and sense.

Eltemase Doa.

It helps if you actually read what you quoted of me. This is what I wrote "Besides, your parents may not like it either...." because I assumed that parents don't like to see their young child getting hurt.

Yes, insha'Allah I will call it idiocy in front of my master if he asks my opinion on it so as to reiterate that I've dissociated from the enemies of ahlulbayt (sufis being one of them) and their practices. As I wrote earlier "you should also do the mustahab acts; which includes azadari provided it's done as told by them instead of aping the rituals started by some ex sufi tribes and promoted by the eunuch led government to control the masses."

It's amazing how this term "sha'air Imam Hussain(AS)" has been plucked out of thin air by innovators and a sand castle built on top of it using some Qur'anic ayaat interpreted by ra'ay, instead of referring to the akhbaar of Imams(AS).

Anyhow, you generally asked for du'a so my du'a is with you. It's been narrated that the Imams(AS) said that we should inculcate in our women the love of Muhammad wa aal al Muhammad and teach them sewing and other household chores and make sure not to teach them how to write and not recite surah al Yusuf to them but instead recite surah al Nur.

Therefore, since going against advice you've learned how to write; I pray you'll get a righteous husband who'll firmly keep you engaged in child upbringing and household duties instead of posting on public forums to na mahrems. If you're already married then may Allah(SWT) grant your husband the tawfeeq to do as stated above.

Edited by khaamba

• Site Administrators

Doesn't hurt much but I've seen people faint at the sight/smell of blood.

Don't just do it cz its a tradition. Qama zani is supposed to be an extreme and a personal expression of love for Ahl-ul-bayt. So if we don't have the guts to offer salat 5 times a day and obey other instructions of our Imams regarding religion, it is useless to express love through this act which is most often fake in its nature. A lot of us shias don't enter mosque throughout the year........but we're first to claim our love for Imam Hussain on Moharram. Don't be that kind of a shia.

Salams

• Advanced Member

that's a bit of a wild claim isn't it? If you think you know everything, chances are you don't know that much (no offence) but with islam, i find it's a bit of a "the more you learn, the less you know" type thing there is just so much to learn in many different fields, and I'm only talking about in english, I would imagine those who speak arabic feel that effect lot more. That is why our scholars never really stop studying, it is a life time commitement.

But if you truely want to go down this road, isn't the point to be in as much pain as possible? if you don't feel any pain why do it, you should do it, then get someone to keep pouring salt water on you, i reckon that way, you'd get a much better effect

ok thnx for the tip :) i knew little bit of arabic when i was living in UAE bit now i forgot how to speak because now i came to india

• Basic Members

Assalamu alaikum

Every day in the early morning when i getup and go for urine, initially a drop of precum/mazi (clear, colorless, viscous fluid) comes out with viscocity then normal urine comes out. Since last one year this condition is happening with me. i have treated it with many doctors but still don't have sufficient success. so please help is this pak or najis. shout i take gusal or without gusal i can pray. Please reply as soon as possible.

• Veteran Member

Assalamu alaikum

Every day in the early morning when i getup and go for urine, initially a drop of precum/mazi (clear, colorless, viscous fluid) comes out with viscocity then normal urine comes out. Since last one year this condition is happening with me. i have treated it with many doctors but still don't have sufficient success. so please help is this pak or najis. shout i take gusal or without gusal i can pray. Please reply as soon as possible.

why have you posted this here?

the short answer is no, i assume you are between the age of 14 and 16? it's normal

• Banned

depends how you do it. arabic/ iranian brothers tend to cut themselves once, and tap the flat of the blade to make the cut bleed. pain scale would be *very* low, maybe 1 or 2 out of ten.

the paki style is more violent, with a repeated striking of the sharp end of the blade across the scalp. hurts a bit, but not as much as zanjeer in the cold. id say paki style qamma would be a 4 or 5 out of 10. its manageable though.

• Veteran Member

(salam)(bismillah)Wow, Amazing! In one thread you are asking if it is allowed in Shee`ah Islaam to have sex, and in this thread you are wanting to do Qamah. I am surprised no one caught this.Ugh, this is disheartening. This is one of the problems with our youth, they are so fascinated with this qamah/matam/zanjeer/noha thing, they do NOT even know ANYTHING about the beliefs of islaam. Anyone who has a read a single book or who has heard AT LEAST one majlis would know that sex is permissible to do in islaam, in the bounds of sharee`ah (islaamic law) of course, but you are wanting to do qamah?I know you are 13 years old, and it seems harsh, but you don't see ANYTHING wrong with this? Don't you believe that you should know the beliefs of Shee`ah Islaam before doing this "qamah" thing? Don't you think you should know exactly WHAT Imaam Al-Hussayn (as) was standing up for against Yazeed, instead of doing this thing that is "for Imaam al-Hussayn"? We should all get our priorities straight.(salam)

Good post.

sorry to be rude but i know everything about islam and i have never ever heard a majlis on s.e.xand i know exactly why Imaam Al-Hussayn (as) was standing up for against Yazeed

You obviously don't know much about Islam if you don't know whether or not sex is allowed. I'm not sure about hearing about it in majlis, but you would come across it very quickly by reading a few books.

ok thnx for the tip :) i knew little bit of arabic when i was living in UAE bit now i forgot how to speak because now i came to india

Maybe you might want to learn Arabic before claiming to be an expert in Islam. It would also be a far more rewarding use of your time than this innovated qamah nonsense.

Out of interest, can you tell us why you want to do it, and what exactly do you think the Islamic justification for it is?

Everyone should cut the young brother a break, I'm desi I know what its like. Many paki's and indians don't pray, fast or do hijab etc but come Muharram everyone is doing going to majalis and doing Tatbeer. The fact that he asks if sex is halal is proof enough because desi culture is very shamed by anything to do with it.

YaAliYaHusain: Brother if you don't want to do Qamah or Zanjeer you don't have to. I know all the young boys get competitive about this but if you do it for this reason it is vanity, and that is the wrong. If you decide to do it, do it for the love of Hussain (as), but remember this is not a part of religion. And yeah it might be somewhat painful, though I'm assuming they will keep pouring rose water on you from time to time.

If you can, donate blood instead since it helps someone. For some reason I was always more afraid of needles than hitting my back with knives. :squeez:

• Basic Members

I think he is young, he should wait for some more year. 13 years old kid man. I mean i feel sad when I see pictures of these small kids who are not even 5 years old are forced to do qama by their parents. The kid is crying and shouting in pain but the parent is still doing it. The 13 year old is doing it by his own will but still, I think he should wait for couple of more years. For the time being he can do other types of mourning and mataam. Others might have a different opinion. But as far as the age group is concerned, i would say. No, wait for a few more years, because he is still in the development stage, i.e. his head, brain, emotional and religious strength etc.

Everyone should cut the young brother a break, I'm desi I know what its like. Many paki's and indians don't pray, fast or do hijab etc but come Muharram everyone is doing going to majalis and doing Tatbeer. The fact that he asks if sex is halal is proof enough because desi culture is very shamed by anything to do with it.

YaAliYaHusain: Brother if you don't want to do Qamah or Zanjeer you don't have to. I know all the young boys get competitive about this but if you do it for this reason it is vanity, and that is the wrong. If you decide to do it, do it for the love of Hussain (as), but remember this is not a part of religion. And yeah it might be somewhat painful, though I'm assuming they will keep pouring rose water on you from time to time.

If you can, donate blood instead since it helps someone. For some reason I was always more afraid of needles than hitting my back with knives. :squeez:

I agree with your comment.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

If the OP is from England, then I swear we have a law that you can't do it unless you're 18+?

In some mosques, they don't even allow people under 18 to even watch.

In Tooting, you have to be 18+ to watch/perfom tatbir.

In Hussaynia Rasool Adham (Cricklewood), you can be under 18 and still perform it /watch it.

However, recording it is STRICTLY forbidden. Anyone thats caught filming will have their phone/camera confiscated/deleted, then returned back.

Eltemase Doa.

• Advanced Member

Dear Brother,

Do You Offer Sallah(Nimaz/Prayer)?

Do You Know How Imam Hussain(as) Offered Sallah on the AfterNoon of Ashura?

Do You Know that Qamah Zani is Banned By Ayatollah Syed Ali Khamenayi?

Have you ever wept for Imam Hussain(as)?

Have You ever read the Sermon of Hazrat Zainab(sa), which she gave in the market of Kufa.

Do you Know that our Blood is Najas(unpure) for us & for others, we cannot offer Sallah if we have blood stains on our Clothes?.

May Allah help All of us to understand the meaning of Qayame-Hussain(as)........Rather than do Qama Zani to show a sign of Bravery....

We have shown our Bravery in Iran, Lebanon, Yemen & will continiously be showing it when it is needed.....we have given our blood & will be giving if Islam Needs it..........

• Advanced Member

salam.gif

In Tooting, you have to be 18+ to watch/perfom tatbir.

In Hussaynia Rasool Adham (Cricklewood), you can be under 18 and still perform it /watch it.

However, recording it is STRICTLY forbidden. Anyone thats caught filming will have their phone/camera confiscated/deleted, then returned back.

Eltemase Doa.

Yeah, Tooting is what I was on about.

I thought it was a general rule for all mosques. Didn't know that about Cricklewood.

To be fair actually, Imamia Mission I think allows it and Sakina Trust, where I go, started zanjeer 2 years ago only in the tiny car park and there was no age limit. So I think the 18+ rule is exclusive to Idaara-e-Jaaferiya.

Edited by Replicant

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

What is the sacred tradition of Azadari of the Holy Ahlul Bayt AS? How do our Ulema HA perform Azadari for Imam Husain AS? Were they doing such ritual cutting? No, the Ulema give speeches and recite poetry about the Supreme Sacrifice of Imam Husain AS, they weep for him, they pat their chest, putting their hand over their heart. There is available video of Imam Khomeini RA and also Ayatollah Khamenei HA performing Azadari mourning in this way in majlis, sitting down, with handkerchief in hand.

Agreed, most brothers don't want to be cooped up in a room, sitting on the floor patting their chest, so they stand up in rows and beat their chest. Some brothers do azadari by moving around in a circle. Here in the west we want the whole world to see our processions. If it is done with organization, it can be beautiful and attract Sunnis and even non-Muslims. For those who perform ritual cutting, you cannot attract anyone to Shia Islam.

Those who take to the streets and beat their backs with simple chains, that is the preferred way of Azadari for us. When people ask you why do you hit yourself with chains, you can tell them chains are a symbol of slavery and these chains symbolize the torture of the Holy Family of Imam Husain AS who were chained and taken to Damascus. When the brothers beat their backs with chains, they are saying no enemy can chain us up or threaten us, because we are brave and we will take those very same chains of slavery and break free from them, and beat ourselves with those chains, and wake ourselves up to realize who is the Yazid of our time. eltemaase du'aa

• Advanced Member

For those who perform ritual cutting, you cannot attract anyone to Shia Islam.

I saw a you tube video some time ago and the girl was saying that she was attracted to Shia Islam as she heard about tatbir, so she decided to learn about the reasons behind it and eventually became Shia alhamdulillah. If someone is seeking for the truth they will find it.

Ulema give speeches and recite poetry about the Supreme Sacrifice of Imam Husain AS, they weep for him, they pat their chest, putting their hand over their heart

The majority of our Ulemas don't have a problem with tatbir. They may not do it but they certainly don't condemn others for doing it.

When people ask you why do you hit yourself with chains, you can tell them chains are a symbol of slavery and these chains symbolize the torture of the Holy Family of Imam Husain AS who were chained and taken to Damascus. When the brothers beat their backs with chains, they are saying no enemy can chain us up or threaten us, because we are brave and we will take those very same chains of slavery and break free from them, and beat ourselves with those chains, and wake ourselves up to realize who is the Yazid of our time.

If people see Shias hitting themselves with chains then they may not be attracted towards Shia Islam so you're contradicting yourself. If you honestly understand the true essence of tatbir and have pure intentions whilst doing it then there's no problem. Who are we to prohibit people from doing it? We have our marjas to consult. I'm sure they've done more research than you and me to know if tatbir is right or wrong.

• Advanced Member

I think the proper bloody stuff shouldn't be done in public, but behind closed doors if possible. I get scared of telling my friends to google Shia Islam because of the first images that will come up. I am, however, not against these rituals - I think they're beautiful.

As for a march/parade, then that is excellent. People from the community should give out leaflets explaining to onlookers why we do this.

Edited by Replicant

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I think the proper bloody stuff shouldn't be done in public, but behind closed doors if possible. I get scared of telling my friends to google Shia Islam because of the first images that will come up. I am, however, not against these rituals - I think they're beautiful.

As for a march/parade, then that is excellent. People from the community should give out leaflets explaining to onlookers why we do this.

No where in the world is tatbir public, apart from Najaf and Karbala.

Secondly, I don't think we should promote Tatbir to non-muslims just yet. Invite them to Islam about the message of Imam Hussain (a.s) and Ahlulbayt, then tatbir comes with it. I think it will put them off showing them tatbir photos.

Eltemase Doa.

• Advanced Member

salam.gif

No where in the world is tatbir public, apart from Najaf and Karbala.

Secondly, I don't think we should promote Tatbir to non-muslims just yet. Invite them to Islam about the message of Imam Hussain (a.s) and Ahlulbayt, then tatbir comes with it. I think it will put them off showing them tatbir photos.

Eltemase Doa.

Yeah, I 100% agree. It shouldn't be publicised. It scares people and puts them off. Once they understand the religion properly, then they can be told and then further assured that it is not wajib.

Edited by Replicant

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

^ To the OP: YES, cutting your body with sharpened instruments will hurt, not for just one day but for many days, perhaps weeks, depending on how many cuts you make and how deep the cuts are.

Type the word Ashura in the Google box and click on Images before you hit the search button. Is that (ritual cutting bloody mess) what you think will attract people to Shia Islam? I don't think so, except maybe that one girl that the sister mentioned in some youtube video.

If the Ulema would not do ritual cutting themselves, why would anyone else want to do it? Maybe the Ulema don't do it because they know the Ahlul Bayt AS never did that.

Hitting your back with chains would make people in the West notice the procession and they would be interested to learn what kind of demonstration that is, and what it means, because it is clearly ceremonial, not bloody harmful. See my earlier post ^ above.

If tatbir was done secretly, then we wouldn't know about it and we wouldn't think about it. If tatbir was done somewhere in a Muslim country, then it would only concern them and we would not be concerned about it. But when graphic bloody photos are put on the Internet or when tatbir is done in public in a non-Muslim country and the news media does a negative story on it, then it is a problem for all Shias. It makes Shia Islam look bad. Ritual cutting, with blood splashing everywhere and pooling on the ground, is only going to make the majority of people think this is gruesome. They won't understand it and will probably think this bloodletting must be a sign of violent tendencies in Shias or that Shias have a fetish for terroristic activities.

4222508322_f9d287ed5a_m.jpg

109328134_b72ae14c8c_m.jpg

3250883649_d791da8dc3_m.jpg

• Advanced Member

i dont think you should cut your self... Ashura isnt about cutting your self etc.. its about realizing what imam hussain went through .. its whats deep down in the heart that matters not the actions as much people who dont know the story of imam hussain cut them selves etc just for the sake of it and know nothing about what really happened ... btw i agree with Hameedah people wouldnt be attracted to shia islam when they see this.. its a pretty scary thing to see