Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
HassanA

Is Eating Kosher Meat Halal

Rate this topic

If the name of Allah is not taken during the ritual slaughter, Kosher won't be halal for Muslims.

And only a Muslim butcher would take the name of Allah.

And if the butcher were Muslim, it wouldn't be Kosher anymore; it would be halal.

So, to conclude, we can't eat Kosher.

Edited by Marbles

If the name of Allah is not taken during the ritual slaughter, Kosher won't be halal for Muslims.

And only a Muslim butcher would take the name of Allah.

And if the butcher were Muslim, it wouldn't be Kosher anymore; it would be halal.

So, to conclude, we can't eat Kosher.

Doesn't it say in the Qur'an though that we can eat food from the People of the Book?

(salam)

Yes the Qur'an says we can eat the tayyibat ("good things", halaal foods) of Ahl al-Kitab, but keep in mind what is being said in the context of the chapter. In verse 3, Allah lists what is haraam to eat:

Forbidden unto you (for food) are carrion and blood and swine flesh, and that which hath been dedicated unto any other than Allah, and the strangled, and the dead through beating, and the dead through falling from a height, and that which hath been killed by (the goring of) horns, and the devoured of wild beasts, saving that which ye make lawful (by the death stroke), and that which hath been immolated unto idols. And (forbidden is it) that ye swear by the divining arrows. This is an abomination. This day are those who disbelieve in despair of (ever harming) your religion; so fear them not, fear Me! This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favor unto you, and have chosen for you as religion AL- ISLAM. Whoso is forced by hunger, not by will, to sin: (for him) lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (5:3)

5:4 says what is caught from the tayyibat by hunting animals is halaal for us, and then 5:5 brings the example of Ahl al-Kitab.

But here's the issue: is the food of Ahl al-Kitab tayyib by the standards set forth by 5:3? The answer is no - firstly, most Christians do not slaughter in the name of God, and if they do, it is in the name of their triune God, which we do not worship. Secondly, some Christian slaughterhouses will use things like tasers to stun the animal prior to its slaughter, which violates our law. Thirdly, many Christians won't slaughter at all. Fourthly, some Christian meats will have carrion, blood, swineflesh, etc., and there is no guarantee that they had been killed in a clean, humane, and lawful manner. Jews on the other hand are forbidden to slaughter in the name of God.

Thus, the meat of Ahl al-Kitab should be avoided.

On 10/20/2010 at 5:43 PM, :

(bismillah)

(salam)

Brother Qaim

So is the verse simply allowing us to sit at the table of Ahl-al-Kitaab?

Because that is the only extra thing it is offering.

Of the non-meat we can eat anyway.

So, why the verse? The only thing I can think of is that the verse allows us to take food from the hands of Ahl-al-Kitaab. Say, a Christian has a Mars Bar in his hand - I'm allowed to take it from him and eat it. There is no impurity, so to speak.

Still, the verse changes very little.

(wasalam)

Ya only halal things, can you eat pork at ahlul kitabs dinner table? No , likewise you cant eat haram food. Ie slaughtered the wrong way

wasalam

In one of Sayed Ammar's lectures he said along the lines that, we can eat from people of the book but not meat or food that you have to kill. Ayatollah Sayyed Fadlallah says that you only can eat meat from a place that the director of the shop or restaurant is muslim and you ask the owner if the meat is halal.

Salam

My Question.

Can we eat anything from Sea ? my elder brother told me when i was kid that we cannot eat fish without those needle bones or with the mustache known as catfish, shrimps, crabs lobsters etc ...

sunnis says they can eat anything from sea..

so please some 1 with knowledge tel me about this ?

Edited by Zombie110

There is a lecture in which I remember listening to Ammar Nakshawani (may Allah bless his soul) telling us of the context of the verse relevant to the discussion. He said that whatever the Ahlul Kitab "grow on the land," as in crops and plants (fruits, veggies etc) are halal. But not the meat they produce from the slaughter of animals. Made sense to me.

Perhaps a more knowledgeable brother can provide the relevant verse's interpretation and context from our Imams (as)

(wasalam)

On 10/20/2010 at 5:43 PM, :

Of the non-meat we can eat anyway.

(salam)

But we can't eat the non-meat items from other people if they touched the food with wet hands - but that's not the case with ahlul kitab...? actually I dont know.. lol

Jews on the other hand are forbidden to slaughter in the name of God.

Do the Jews pronounce the name of Yhwh over kosher meat?

Apparently they do

In Shechita (ritual slaughter according to Jewish law), a blessing to God is recited before beginning an uninterrupted period of slaughtering; as long as the shochet does not have a lengthy pause, interrupt, or otherwise lose concentration, this blessing covers all the animals slaughtered that period. This blessing follows the standard form for a blessing before most Jewish rituals ("Blesséd are you God ... who commanded us regarding [such-and-such]," in this case, Shechita). The general rule in Judaism is that for rituals which have an associated blessing, if one omitted the blessing, the ritual is still valid [see Maimonides Laws of Blessings 11:5]; as such, even if the shochet failed to recite the blessing before Shechita, the slaughter is still valid and the meat is kosher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_and_Jewish_dietary_laws_compared

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shechita

Edited by JimJam

(bismillah)

My Question.

Can we eat anything from Sea ? my elder brother told me when i was kid that we cannot eat fish without those needle bones or with the mustache known as catfish, shrimps, crabs lobsters etc ...

sunnis says they can eat anything from sea..

so please some 1 with knowledge tel me about this ?

No, actually. We cannot. The fatawa of our maraaj'a, based on the ahadeeth of our Aimmah (as), state we can only eat Fish with scales and shrimp. So no catfish, lobster, crab, etc. Except you can eat shrimp.

(salam)

But we can't eat the non-meat items from other people if they touched the food with wet hands - but that's not the case with ahlul kitab...? actually I dont know.. lol

Ahlul Kitaab are not najis so you can eat their non-meat foods. Other kufaar who you know have touched food with their wet hands then you cannot eat it.

Do the Jews pronounce the name of Yhwh over kosher meat?

Apparently they do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_and_Jewish_dietary_laws_compared

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shechita

That still doesn't fulfill the conditions for it to be Halal, like a Muslim slaughterer. Also, they don't pronounce their "blessing" before each sheep as your quoted statements says. Just before they start all of them.

(salam)

Jews are forbidden to even pronounce what they believe is the name of God. You find it sometimes in English too, where they will write G-d instead of "God".

They believe that God relieved his true name Yahweh to Musa (as) (they write it YHWH, the tetra-grammaton),they may not use it in speaking but they use other terms like Hashem (The Name), Elohim (from El Elyon meaning The Most High God) etc. The name Ismail is originally Isma-EL, Israel is Isra-EL referring to the name of god used by the ancient hebrews "EL"

Edited by JimJam

Just a side point, the Sunnis have in their history that the Prophet passed away after eating poisoned meat from a Jewish lady at Khaibar.

Now, was the meat that was "apparently" presented to him slaughtered under Islamic law or Jewish? Why would the Jews slaughter animals according to Islamic law?

Just a side point, the Sunnis have in their history that the Prophet passed away after eating poisoned meat from a Jewish lady at Khaibar.

Now, was the meat that was "apparently" presented to him slaughtered under Islamic law or Jewish? Why would the Jews slaughter animals according to Islamic law?

(bismillah)

The muslims slaughtered the animals but it was given to various other people and this jewish woman cooked one of them.

Old thread, but worth revisiting on account of something I have come across.

There's a Jewish sandwich supplier in London which has their certification on its products, but I noticed 'halal' written in Arabic, on their packaging as well.

While they are admirably doing their bit for community cohesion, I wondered how something could be halal and kosher at the same time.

See the certificate below for the explanation. Clearly the Muslims who have signed off on this, belong to a school that believes that because something is kosher, it is also halal. Obviously this is not something we believe in.

halal2_cert_big.jpg

http://ddsandwiches.com/appro.htm

I think since the slaughter method is the same, it IS possible to have meat that is both halal and kosher. I think a Muslim would have to slaughter the animal while pronouncing bismillah and a rabbi would utter the Hebrew blessing at the same time.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting, I have been to the website of the Muslim organisation that is issuing these certificates. Here is their explanation as to why they are calling it halal:

Shechita slaughtering is done under the supervision of Rabbi whilst the Shochet does the slaughtering by reading the blessing, which is to the effect ” blessed are You , our God, Sovereign of the universe, Who has commanded us regarding shchitah ”

The Shochet, one who performs Shechita studies for many years animal anatomy, animal welfare and is licensed by both a Local Authority and by the Rabbinical Commission for Licensing of Shochetim. Every Shochet is licensed by the Commission on renewable basis. For Muslims Kosher meat and foods prepared by orthodox Jewish system is permissible (Halal), as it is mentioned in the Qur’an unambiguously in a crystal clear way in the first part of Chapter 5:5 that:...

Some have as a criticism pointed out that Kosher is prepared without rendition of invoking Allah’s name ; firstly it is untrue as it is affirmed above that “sovereign God is mentioned ” and, secondly Judaism is a religion of the People of the Book and thirdly, we are reminded by a Hadith in Al – Bukhari which is narrated by the beloved wife of the Holy Prophet Mohammad (pbh) Hazrat Aisha Siddiqa that” if we are not sure that Allah’s name is mentioned or not , then we have to say – Bismillah – and then eat “.

http://halalconsultations.com/?page_id=5368

Not sure how much store we'd set by a hadith where both Bukhari and Aisha are involved.

The question in itself is the answer. Is Kosher the same as halal?  Clearly not, therefore, eating Kosher is not eating HALAL meat. Another point being, Zibiha is what makes it halal, and that is nothing like kosher.