Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Our Purpose

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I would like all the people to come and participate, I am writing this thread in order to provoke deep reflection within ourselves. I am asking everyone to share their thoughts and feelings about what they believe their purpose in life might be, or, what path to take in order to find such a purpose with confidence that what we are doing is the Will of Allah in every step of our lives.

Allah be with us all, and allow all the things spoken in this thread to be from HIM in order to enlighten both ourselves as well as others insha'Allah ameen.

Everyone comes online to this site because they have this commonality, they are shia living in the west. As such most are in school systems that often treat us as some kind of second class or second rate citizens and individuals. The people we encounter everyday do not understand the desire of the girls to wear hijab, or what it is like to fast for the month of Ramadhan, or why we mourn during Muharram, or why our parents pull us out of school so that we can go pray jammah. We reach out to others so that we can have someone to talk to who understands us, our idiosyncrasy's, our accents, our inherent browness. These are only a few examples of what makes us different than others living in the west, what makes us feel out of place so many times.

So, we reach out, we find other like minded individuals who understand us. We take this time also, to learn more about our religion from sources other than our parents. To examine all this on our own, to find out what might truly be the best path, or the path we are meant to be on. We are finding Allah, through the taught knowledge of the Ahl al Bait (as)

I feel we should go further in our seeking, we seek because we feel we might be missing something, perhaps that something is what our purpose in all this mess called life actually is.

Some of you might already know that this life is only a test, it is a test and a testament for ourselves when we stand on the Day Of Judgment. Our hearts and our actions in this life will be our spokesman, when faced with the final truth of all things.

Some of you might be crying out to Allah, begging for the answer, begging to know our purpose. What our place might be, what might Allah desire for us to accomplish. Let us now examine what we might be able to do in the name of Allah, now, in this time, we are not scholars, we are simple laypeople. Yet, something is telling us inside that we have a reason, there is something we must fulfill while on this earth.

I am asking everyone to think about this, and write down for all to read, a few thoughts they have on what they could possibly accomplish in the Name of Allah being a simple layperson.

I will start us off, with a couple simple thoughts of my own;

This is a new era, a time unlike any other time in the past, when we have the ability to speak to others world wide, yet, people are not connected with those closest to them, and they feel more lost than ever before in history. Everyone seems to be seeking for something they are missing inside of them. It might not be you, but it might be your best friend, your neighbor, your co-worker. We are blessed to have been born shia, and some of us here might be blessed to have been guided to shi'ite Islam. This is the greatest blessing anyone can have. Our religion fulfills both the spirituality and nearness to Allah, as well as the practical, rational, logical, social and familial side of our lives. It is perfection personified, for those who truly desire it and have open hearts.

But we also live in this evil world, we have lives and school and jobs and possibly marriages. We have commitments and things we simply have to accomplish. We are faced every day with tests, trials and tribulations. Sometimes we rise above, sometimes we fail and ask forgiveness. But we are Shiane Ali. Followers of the Imam of our time (atf) even in occultation He (atf) is still here and with us, guiding us along our ways, even when we don't have knowledge of it, He (atf) is still there.

As such, our every action reflects upon all shia, where you are there might not be many shia, you might be the only shia someone has ever had the opportunity to speak to or meet. There is one nation in the world that is under Islamic governance, and that is Shi'ite Islam in action on a social and political and community scale. Everything they do reflects upon us, and everything we do reflects upon them. If our actions are not the actions of a good shia, then people will look at Iran as if Islamic government is bad. If you cut yourself and bleed, and people look at you and think "that person is crazy" , then they will look at Iranians as a bunch of nutcases under a government that is simply insane. If all your actions are good and proper and they look at you and see a blessed person who is kind and generous, then they will look at Iranians and rethink their stance on islamic government.

Because of seeing you, a good person, who is a religious shia, who is quick to smile and quick with a kindness, yet loves Allah openly, you might end up making a person around you rethink Islam itself, and possibly make someone desirous of learning about this religion and possibly converting. We make converts, they dont convert because they think we are all insane, they convert because they see the love of the Ahl al-Bait (as) inside of us, it shines on our faces when we offer our salat.

This is a good purpose for the layman, to simply live Islam in their everyday simply life, and let it show to those around us. Our actions, our words, can start WW3, or stop it. When people here us complain and critisize the Islamic government they think you might have some inside knowledge that they dont have, this will cause them to decide Islamic government must truly be evil if even their own followers hate them and critisize them.

You can be a guide to someone where you show them true Islam in real life, and create a convert to Islam or stop wars, all from being a regular 'good' shia in everyday life, in your simple interactions with others.

this is one possible purpose, can anyone think of anymore? please feel free to speak, no one will sound dumb or be condemned for their thoughts here, and maybe your thought is the most important thought of all. :)

(wasalam)

Edited by IloveImam(atf)

• Advanced Member

In my mind, the purpose of life is simply, to reach perfection.

For me it is to reach perfection in every aspect of my life. That is, spiritually, morally, physically, and intellectually. The way I understand it, is that Islam defines what perfection should be and provides a pathway to achieve that perfection. Whether any other religion, culture or lifestyle can also provide us with that though - I'm not sure.

• Veteran Member

Salam to all,

I know each of us might have something to offer for the rest to think and ponder...what ever the truth is from Allah swt.

My thought:

The purpose of life is for Allah swt, Muhammd and Ahlulbayt (Imams) to rule our souls. They know better the secrets of life and the path that we should follow and will lead our souls to that purpose.

It should start with my ownself... If Allah swt, Muhammad and Imams rule on myself and NOT me, enemies or syaitans that rule myself...I willl slowly understand the purpose of life and why things are happening the way it should be. I will also understood why I come to life, and what I supposed to do in my life...in daily basis until I die.

All Prophets, Nabis, Imams, Wali...know very well why they came into life and what they supposed to do. Our current Imam (as) is supposed to establish the final victory. What are we supposed to do in this life?

Otherwise, we will wondering around to understand our purpose of life and there after we create something to present our purpose of life. Let get closer to Allah swt, Muhammad and Ahlulbayt and in particular the Imam Al-Asr (as) so that to make it clear to us our own roles and purpose of life. Once we are clear of our roles and what to do...every action is ibadah.

Layman

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Masha"Allah, two very beautiful posts thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

can both of you or either on of you try to expand on how we can implement these things into our everyday ordinary lives? In what ways can we start becoming slaves of the Ahl al-Bait (as) and in what way can we start to perfect ourselves and our actions?

what steps do you think we could take to get on the ladder of the betterment of self through a 'relationship' (for lack of a better word) with Ahl e Muhammed (saw)

(wasalam)

• Veteran Member

Our purpose is to worship Allah (swt). It is through the mercy of Allah that worship takes many forms, which are diverse, interesting, and pleasurable. Some examples of acts of worship: praying, washing one's self(ghusl, wudhu), marriage, bringing up children, charity, visiting relatives, helping people, physical activity, learning, eating(starting with Bismillah, and ending with Alhamdullilah), sleeping(by first making wudhu and reciting Quran and making dhikr of Allah, eg tasbih of Fatima Zahra), etc. As long as these activities are done for the sake of Allah (swt), then they are acts of worship.

Whenever you find yourself doing something that is not worship of Allah, it is probably not worth doing.

• Advanced Member

Salam

Our purpose of life is to listen to Allah SWT command and do what is allowed to do in Islam and not to do what is not allowed in Islam, to treat everyone Muslim or not the same way.

Try to pray on time and read the Holy Quran and Dua. Know about Ale Mohammad and try to be honest. Also be good to our mothers that should be number 1.

Salam

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Masha"Allah, two very beautiful posts thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

can both of you or either on of you try to expand on how we can implement these things into our everyday ordinary lives? In what ways can we start becoming slaves of the Ahl al-Bait (as) and in what way can we start to perfect ourselves and our actions?

what steps do you think we could take to get on the ladder of the betterment of self through a 'relationship' (for lack of a better word) with Ahl e Muhammed (saw)

(wasalam)

Salam to all

(bismillah)

There is no way I could give a lecture...only sharing and again the Truth is from Allah swt. Again, what others has put in writings are equally good advice.

The method to climb the ladder of betterment must be that everyone can achieve...whether a person is an alim, a layman, an educated person, rich or poor, man or women...regardless of level...everyone should have a same criteria.

Lets start with Reading these two verses:

“Auzubillah himinashaitan nirrazeem” – “I take refuge in Allah from accursed Satan”

“Bissmillahi rahman niraheem” – in the name of Allah, the most compassionate, the most merciful

We know that in every action we want to do, syaitan is there to deviate us...we must seek refuge DIRECTLY from Allah swt to survive this attack.

We also know that everything that exist is owned by Allah swt and only by His Mercy we are given permission to use HIS blessings. Allahswt is the Owner of everything that we have...our body, money, car, house, our abilities and capabilities, this world, food, ....including heaven and hell.

What we do on daily basis...eat, taking shower, praying, start work, sleep...give the due to Allah swt...and say Bismillahi rahman niraheem.

We live because of the Mercy of Allah swt. Test ourself with the two verses from the moment we awake from sleep to before we fall asleep.

Wallahu alam.

Layman

• Veteran Member

salam! :)

I enjoyed reading everybody's post...specially the first extra-long ..it's my first time i read a big post like this one .lol

i totally agree with everybody. I think that we all have different purposes...like my purpose is to be among Imam mahdi's soldiers ,to reach nearness from Allah..to save the world, convert everybody : ) ..yea in my dreams*i know* lol

so as i was telling ,the purpose in this dunya is viewed by different sides. Basically,if you want a purpose in life, you need to understand 3 words '' need-motivation-want'' (there is a BIG difference between need and want) ...but anyway. We all have to know that our purpose is to reach nearness from Allah...we have to know that this life is only a game ...you loose to jahanam or you win to jannah :D.

wasalam.

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

This is a beautiful topic and I thank the brother for starting it. The thing on my mind tonight is that we need to do better. Well, maybe all of you are doing well, but I need to do better.

There are three important things that a person needs in his/her life and I wish everyone had these three things: ilm, iman, and akhlaq. Maybe we could think about that.

May Allah bless you. eltemaase du'aa. ws

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I have to apologize for not posting earlier, I got caught up trying to do a couple of other topics :) forgive my tardiness

Thank you brother enlight_warner for taking the time to read my long speech :) this makes me feel good that you did :) and yes I know what you mean in dreams.. it would be nice to be good enough, but we all see our shortcomings, there are times we might like knowledge, or be firm enough in our faith perhaps, or times our akhlaq goes out the window as our baser instincts take over :(

To me, the point is to everyday try to do better, be better than the day before, when we fail, we recognize it as a failure, we have so many ahadith of the Ahl al Bait (as) in which to compare our actions to, we will see our own shortcomings when we read of Their Lives (as) so this is our reminder, do better, keep trying, never stop and say we cant do it. We just keep doing touba and try harder the next time. Who knows, maybe someday those wont be dreams anymore but they will become realities.

:)

JazakAllah khair everyone who posted and added their thoughts, if anyone has more to add keep doing so. We learn from each other, this is one reason why we were put into an ummah, so that we can learn from one another and grow together inshaAllah

(wasalam)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators
  • Advanced Member

the answer is very simple, the purpose of our existence is to know and recognize Allah, in this world and the hereafter. Because Allah swt is Infinity, there is no end to this.

All other goals, servitude, following Ahlulbayt, etc, everything falls within finding Allah swt. All desires are for the One.

Edited by skinee

• Advanced Member

salams

i believe the purpose of our lives is to learn. to seek knowledage about Allah swt and everything he has created. to build up our souls from good deeds and pure actions. the only thing we take with us is our soul right? so i believe this life is to perfect and shape our souls in the way would want it to be raised on the day when we return to Allah swt. in this life all that we do is for our eternal life. life on earth is for obedience, worship and knowledage of Allah swt. everything is for Allah swt and everything goes back to Allah swt.

so thats what i think life is for, preperation for the next eternal life :)

wasalam

• Advanced Member

salam.gif

The purpose of life is to reach Allah... through 'ibadah, or worship, to know him as much as we possibly can. Everything good is 'ibadah. It's to reach the next life with the largest stockpile of good deeds we can muster. It's to know we've reached and influenced as many people as we can with our impeccable akhlaq, with our piety and intelligent reason. It's to strive towards even being able to say we are true followers and Shias of Ahlul Bayt (as) - which is something we'll be striving towards all our lives.

For me, the purpose of life is to strive towards the 'ibadah Imam Ali (as) emulates:

One group worships God to be favoured with His blessings. This is the worship of the tradesmen. Another group worships Him on account of His fear. This is the worship of the slaves. A third group worships Him by way of thanksgiving. This is the worship of the free man.

http://www.almujtaba.com/articles/2/000597.html

"No one is our Shia except by the fear of God and His obedience, and they are not recognized except by their humbleness, reverence, trustworthiness, and abundance of remembrance of God." (Tuhaf al-Uqool)

http://www.islamicinsights.com/religion/religion/the-shia-of-al-baqir.html

And Allah knows best.

• Advanced Member

to live in peace :)

the eternal life is an achievement it is a girft from god for doing good in this life. well inshallah if we get in heaven :)

The reward should not be confused with the purpose. The reward doesn't equal purpose.

If the whole point were to live in peace and enjoy gifts and pleasures, then I think we could've skipped this whole test and God should have just have us born into heaven direct. There is obviously a higher purpose to this world, it's the place to cultivate and prepare your soul for eternal life, where are primary purpose is to know Allah... just like education in this world increases your analytical skills, the cultivation of your soul increases your perception (idrak) for meeting Allah.

We are like a seed and this dunya is the darkness where you place the seed. In order for the seed to grow, it requires certain conditions, our actions and beliefs determine the growth of our soul. If a seed can tough it out in the darkness for short while, it'll pay off...

• Advanced Member

salams

well said.

but both lives need each other so that there not piontless , this world without the next is piontless because when it ends theres nothing after so all the hard work in this life goes to waste and also the next life without this world is piontless because the human soul hasnt lernt anything it hasnt been tested. i think the true purpose of the next eternal world isnt as easy as jst writing it down in a sentence for every soul there is a different purpose it depends on what the soul has done in this short life time.

wasalam

• Advanced Member

I think each person has a different person, and God will give them signs to know what they should do..

I just recently found mine!!! to create spaces that brings happiness to people!!! lol.. I dk if that's really it, but all the signs are pointing at that!! :D

• 7 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

This is a wonderful topic. Please keep it going.

24. Some of the admonitions of Luqman(A.S) to his son say: 'Oh son, always be sober & gracious. And observe serenity & grace in your life affairs.

And be firm & stabilize yourself in the affairs of your brothers (helping & assisting them). So if you decide to achieve the honour & glory of the world then shorten your avarice & allurement from whatever is in the hands of the people, for, certainly the stations & posts which the prophets & the truthful came to achieve were on account of shortening & cutting off their avarice & temptations. (BIHAR UL ANWAR VOL 13, P419/420)

The words in the quote are available in Arabic in the book Fascinating Discourses of the Fourteen Infallibles (a.s)  Get PDF

https://www.al-islam.org/fascinating-discourses-fourteen-infallibles-shaykh-mohammad-ishtihardi

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

According to scholars of spirituality, the purpose of existence is to know Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. This can be seen through:

I have not created jinn and mankind except that they may worship Me

æóãóÇ ÎóáóÞúÊõ ÇáúÌöäóø æóÇáúÅöäúÓó ÅöáóøÇ áöíóÚúÈõÏõæäö (51:56)

Further, Imam Husayn (as) has said, seemingly commenting on this verse, that "to worship Me" means "to know Me." If you have the book 'A Bundle of Flowers' the hadith is mentioned in Arabic and English but I find the English translation a bit weak. (liya'arifuuni is translated as "recognizing" Allah) Shaykh Salim Yusufali (ha) has lecture where he discusses it:

• Advanced Member

Allah created Truth first then false, light first then dark, good first then evil, heaven first then hell.

the purpose of the creation of the world was made from the love of ahlubeit (Saw) what purpose has this wolrd if there is no love in return?

the true purpose is to seek and find the path to true love and annihilate the falsehood, only when you find this truth you will reach reality.

Its all about the love..... recognise your selves... ^_^

Edited by shia-gangsta

• Advanced Member

My friend wrote this on his facebook thought i would share it. It is beautiful.

Generations programmed, trying to fill our desires with materilistic products. Programmed to outdo eachother. Nice cars, clothes, houses. Destroying your brains with substances and alcohol for moments of pleasure. You you know inside you, there is always a deep hole that money cannot fill. A sad reality the young do not understand and the old have discovered to late. OPEN YOUR EYES

...............................................................................................................

The purpose of life is to worship Allah alone , this doesnt just mean it in the literal sense but it has such depth to it. There are so many forms of worship and each gives us a purpose ie Prayer, Acquiring halal risk, doing what is wajib, staying away from haram, giving charity etc. Not only does it give us contentment in this life it fills the hole in our souls and gives us a purpose to live and struggle each day.

The western world has decieved us with trying to make us think we will be happy with materilstic things the truth of the matter is if we live by this philosophy we will never be content we will always be chasing (like chasing the dragon an imaginary creature that can never be caught). Look at these celebrities that have all the materilistic things in the world why do they turn to drugs? its because they have this void which cannot be filled. The smarter celebrities start doing charity work or turn to sprituality why????????? it gives them some sort of contentment.

• Forum Administrators
On 7/16/2011 at 4:14 PM, cc_30 said:

(bismillah)

According to scholars of spirituality, the purpose of existence is to know Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. This can be seen through:

I have not created jinn and mankind except that they may worship Me

æóãóÇ ÎóáóÞúÊõ ÇáúÌöäóø æóÇáúÅöäúÓó ÅöáóøÇ áöíóÚúÈõÏõæäö (51:56)

Further, Imam Husayn (as) has said, seemingly commenting on this verse, that "to worship Me" means "to know Me." If you have the book 'A Bundle of Flowers' the hadith is mentioned in Arabic and English but I find the English translation a bit weak. (liya'arifuuni is translated as "recognizing" Allah) Shaykh Salim Yusufali (ha) has lecture where he discusses it:

(bismillah)

(salam)

Thank you for the video, brother.

A Bundle of Flowers from the Garden of Traditions of the Prophet & Ahlul-Bayt (a.s.) http://www.al-islam.org/flowers/

• 5 months later...
  • Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

The brother who started this topic left ShiaChat November of 2010. InshaAllah when he comes back here, he will see that we kept his topic going! :)