Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

[LAWS]Is It Haram To Celebrate Halloween?

Rate this topic

Message added by Hameedeh

Never accept unsourced replies and always double check the sources. When in doubt, please consult your scholar.

• Advanced Member

i love Halloween grew up celebrating it, i was just wondering is it haram to celebrate it? i hope not because its fun for the kids, in iraq they do something like it but no costume, and also my intention is nothing bad just for the kids cuz they do live in canada and dont want them to think oh my father didnt let us have fun

i know most muslims that go trick or treating but they dont give candy to kids, if you ur not going to celebrate it then dont go and dont give, but if ur going to take ur kids u have to give candy too, that makes me mad and makes us look bad. but i just want to know if its haram, does sistani allow it?

Edited by faith200
  • Advanced Member

LMAO, of course not. It's not like you're drinking alcohol or having some sinful party. (which are haram).

If you're talking about the obvious trick or treating, or dressing up as a witch or something evil, not really.

It's just a synthetic holiday like any other.

There's no sin for taking part in it.

It's a secular holiday, nothing haram about it.

But some religious Muslims choose not to celebrate it, because they don't like the concept..

And some parents maybe don't want to purchase costumes for their children, because of the prices.

• Forum Administrators

(bismillah)

(salam)

In the US, some Christians say Halloween is Satan's birthday, so they don't do the trick-or-treating collect candy from door-to-door.

They make a special party for all the children in their church on Halloween night, in order to keep them away from non-Christians and devilishness.

They also remove their children from school on the day that there will be a Halloween party with costumes.

Agreed, some Muslims feel the same way and do not participate in it, but they have their own get together and talk about why they don't believe in it.

They serve lots of goodies and have the same candies that trick-or-treaters get. :)

• Forum Administrators
On 11/1/2010 at 2:32 PM, AliSaleh said:

It is 100% halal.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Please see the IMPORTANT note at the top of this page ^.

Never accept unsourced replies and always double check the sources. When in doubt, please consult your scholar.

• Basic Members

and let's not forget it was a muslim who produced one of the best halloween/slasher movies of all time, Halloween.

As Salamu Alikum

halloween should be refered to the marja one follows, but it like all kufr falls under itimation of the kufr and spreading of there culture, which rabbir ul ummatul islam sayyid khaemei considers haram.

• Advanced Member

As Salamu Alikum

halloween should be refered to the marja one follows, but it like all kufr falls under itimation of the kufr and spreading of there culture, which  rabbir ul ummatul islam sayyid khaemei considers haram.

the day pakistanis stop practicing their culture is the day i will stop practicing mine.  Allah knows our intent, and if our intent is to spice up life and have a little fun then so be it. 

besides, if Islam was all about one culture and nothing more wouldn't all Muslims be Hijazi Arabs?

• Forum Administrators

and let's not forget it was a muslim who produced one of the best halloween/slasher movies of all time, Halloween.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Moustapha Akkad only produced the Halloween movies for money. He was better as a director: The Message (the birth of Islam starring Anthony Quinn and Irene Papas) and Lion of the Desert (Libyan freedom fighter Omar Al-Mokhtar and the Libyans fight for freedom against the Italians).

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Moustapha Akkad only produced the Halloween movies for money. He was better as a director: The Message (the birth of Islam starring Anthony Quinn and Irene Papas) and Lion of the Desert (Libyan freedom fighter Omar Al-Mokhtar and the Libyans fight for freedom against the Italians).

No doubt.  It was Wes Craven's movie for an American audience (teenage sexuality), but it shows Akkad didn't have much problem with Halloween per se.

In the Islamic sense, is there anything wrong with a movie that portrays a demonic serial killer?  What would a movie about evil jinns look like?  (those are serious questions for anyone)

I personally loathe Halloween (LA) [yes I put an LA next to it... sue me]

I work for security at my college, and to people on my campus, Halloween=lots of beer, sex and drugs. One minute they're drinking, the other they're spilling their guts out. It gave us a REALLY hard time.

Okay, personal feelings aside, Halloween in its most natural form, i.e. simply dressing up like a fictional character and going around asking for candies, has nothing un-Islamic about it. Then again, that's just my opinion; it ultimately comes down to the rulings of your Maraja.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Please see the note at the top of this page ^.

Important note!

Please Don't accept unsourced replies and always double check sources. When in doubt, please consult your scholar.

+1

AliSaleh has been posting up his opinions as truth on this website quite a bit. Take precaution when reading posts brothers and sisters.

No doubt. It was Wes Craven's movie for an American audience (teenage sexuality), but it shows Akkad didn't have much problem with Halloween per se.

In the Islamic sense, is there anything wrong with a movie that portrays a demonic serial killer? What would a movie about evil jinns look like? (those are serious questions for anyone)

Done.

wishmaster_1_poster_01.jpg

Edited by YaAli(as)
  • Advanced Member

LMAO, of course not. It's not like you're drinking alcohol or having some sinful party. (which are haram).

If you're talking about the obvious trick or treating, or dressing up as a witch or something evil, not really.

It's just a synthetic holiday like any other.

There's no sin for taking part in it.

It's a secular holiday, nothing haram about it.

But some religious Muslims choose not to celebrate it, because they don't like the concept..

And some parents maybe don't want to purchase costumes for their children, because of the prices.

I see it as this. In Islam it is haram to follow pagan holidays. To declare " I am celebrating Halloween" is not right.

If you see trick or treating as getting free candy, then that is fine; as long as you do not officially have the intention to celebrate such a holiday.

If you find candy on sale, and see it as baraka to give to children then i think that is fine as well.

It is like thanksgiving, everyone knows that it is based on Europeans killing millions of native americans, It is haram to celebrate this type of holiday. But if you happen to find mash potatoes on sale, or halal turkey on sale, it doesn't mean its haram to have a ThanksGiving dinner.

Just my 2 cents.

and happy halaloween?

Edited by Musa
  • Advanced Member

I hope you guys understand that Halloween originally was the day on which Irish pagans gave sacrificed to the lord of the underworld. Or the myth goes something like that. Taking part in it is nothing more than veiled shirk. Stay way from it.

Or something like that? Here's a tip: maybe you don't make statements when you haven't researched enough to know what you're talking about.

• Basic Members

As Salamu Alikum

here is Sayyid Khamei fatwa taken from islam-pure fatwas from the leaders office, the fatwa is not on the main site,

2. HALLOWEEN: This is a festival in which children dress in costume, and stop by people's houses asking for candy. Its origin lies in ancient pagan English customs regarding evil spirits and demons. The Catholic Church converted it into a holiday for the souls of the dead Christians. Currently it doesn't have a religious connotation. However, the images of black magic, witches, spirits and death are still present. Is it permissible for a Muslims to: a. Give candy to children who come to their house on this day? b. Decorate one's house according to the customs of the people? c. Dress their children in costumes and take them around to receive candy?

2) If engaging in this practice results in promoting erroneous thinking (e.g. superstition) in the furthering of corruption or in the strengthening and spreading of their culture, whereby it would become desirable to adopt their culture such activity would not be permissible.

Allah Hafez

• 9 years later...