Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Are Sunnis Kaffirs Because They Reject Wilayah?

Rate this topic

Soul Reaper

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

What is the Shi'a view on one who rejects Wilayah?

"...Rejecting us(Imams) is rejecting Allah and that is up to the level of paganism and considering things equal to Allah..."

Al-Kafi, Book on Virtue of Knowledge, H 196, Ch. 21, h 9

• Advanced Member

The Messenger of Allah swt said: "Ali (as) is the best in humanity after me, and whoever has doubt is a kafir."

Sunni references:

Kinooz al-Haqa'iq by Abdul Raouf al-Manawi; pg.92

Tarikh by al-Khateeb al-Baghdadi V.7 pg.421

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: "No one is permitted on the bridge (siraat) on the Day of Judgement except by the wilayat of Ali (as)."

Sunni references:

Ibn al-Maghazeli, 15; Al-Ash'ab, 2/457

Al-Riyadh al-Nadhirah by Muhibudeen al-Tabari V.2 pg.172

Al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah by Ibn Hajar Ch.9, subheading 2- pg.195

I'm not calling any Muslim a kaffir. These ahadeeth are alarming though.

• Advanced Member

The Messenger of Allah swt said: "Ali (as) is the best in humanity after me, and whoever has doubt is a kafir."

Sunni references:

Kinooz al-Haqa'iq by Abdul Raouf al-Manawi; pg.92

Tarikh by al-Khateeb al-Baghdadi V.7 pg.421

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: "No one is permitted on the bridge (siraat) on the Day of Judgement except by the wilayat of Ali (as)."

Sunni references:

Ibn al-Maghazeli, 15; Al-Ash'ab, 2/457

Al-Riyadh al-Nadhirah by Muhibudeen al-Tabari V.2 pg.172

Al-Sawa'iq al-Muhriqah by Ibn Hajar Ch.9, subheading 2- pg.195

I'm not calling any Muslim a kaffir. These ahadeeth are alarming though.

(salam)

What's the grading on those Hadeeth?

Do any of them have a Hasan/Sahih chain of narration?

• Advanced Member

No, a few ulama do not equal all scholars. Don't twist what I said. And they did not say they are kaffirs, they are still Muslims as they believe in nabuwwat of Nabi Muhammad (saw) and the tawheed of Allah swt.

I only said that a few ulama I've talked to have told me those hadeeth are sahih.

• Advanced Member

But the Hadeeth of the Ai'mah (as) and the Prophet (pbuh) are pretty clear about this. Would you know better than the Ma'soomeen?

And what about the Views made by these Scholars:

►Sheykh As-Sadduq in Al i'tiqad page 78:

"And our belief about who does not believe in Imamat of the Commander of Believing Ali and other Imam after him is that it is similar to that which does not believe in the prophety (nubuwa) of all the Prophets."

►Al Majlissi in Bihar Al Anwar:

"Knows that the application of the terms shirk (polytheism) and kufr (unbeliever) against those who don't believe in Imama of the Commander of Believing (i.e Ali) and of the Imam among its descendants (i.e 11 other Imam), peace be upon them, and who place another man above them (in term of merits), are non-believers who will remain eternally in hell."

►Sheikh Al Mufid in Al Masa'il:

"There is consensus between the imamiya scholars on the fact that somebody who did not believe in Imama of one of the Imam and who did not believe in what Allah established like obligation to obey to them, that such a person is a mislaid non-believer, and which will deserve to remain eternally in hell."

►Fatwa of ayatollah Rohani who says that sunni won't go in heaven because they don't believe in the Walayat of Ali

http://www.imamrohani.com/fatwa-ar/viewtopic.php?t=1861

►Nimatullah Al-Jazaeri in Al-Anwar Al-Numaniya (Vol 1 p. 278/279):

"We do not agree with Nasibis about Allah nor a prophet nor an Imam, for they say that their God is the one whose prophet is Muhammad (a.s) and his Khalifah after him is Abu Baker. We do not believe in this God nor this Prophet, because the God whose prophet's Khalifa is Abu Baker is not our God and that Prophet is not our Prophet"

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

Those who have knowledge of the truth that Ameer ul Mu'mineen and the Aimmah (as) are hujjaj Allah (swt), but these individuals reject it with knowing it is haqq, they are kaafir.

Those individuals who never knew of it, those who are ignorant of the wilayah, their affair is with Allah (swt).

There are levels of disbelief like their are levels of belief.

(salam)

Aren't the necessary elements of Imamate two: to recognize the Imam of your time and to not hold enmity towards the Ahl al-Bayt (as). Having both of these keeps you within the fold of Islam, and Sunnis do have these beliefs, albeit they're not united on the identity of Imam al-`Asr (as). Also, all of our affairs are with Allah, those of us who accept Imamate in its entirety or just the elements above. It's a rather arrogant thing to make some sort of hierarchy when even though we might have the guidance, we may not be using it and staying faithful to it as we should.

By the way, I think it's worth mentioning that someone can hold beliefs that constitute kufr and not be outside of the fold of Islam.

Edited by al-Irshad

• Advanced Member

Aren't the necessary elements of Imamate two: to recognize the Imam of your time and to not hold enmity towards the Ahl al-Bayt (as). Having both of these keeps you within the fold of Islam, and Sunnis do have these beliefs, albeit they're not united on the identity of Imam al-`Asr (as). Also, all of our affairs are with Allah, those of us who accept Imamate in its entirety or just the elements above. It's a rather arrogant thing to make some sort of hierarchy when even though we might have the guidance, we may not be using it and staying faithful to it as we should.

By the way, I think it's worth mentioning that someone can hold beliefs that constitute kufr and not be outside of the fold of Islam.

?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

I have not looked at the grading or chain of narrations personally myself, but ulama have told me they are considered sahih, as well as by Sunni historians.

Which non-Shia scholar told you this?

And which Sunni historian viewed this as Sahih?

And since Islamic history revolves around hadiths, wouldn't the views of the hadith scholars carry more weight than a historian?

was salam

Edited by lotfilms

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Wilayah is not part of Sunni Shahadah. Neither is Wilayah a pillar of their religion. They do not recognize Wilayah obligatory. According to the definition of the Sunni madhab, they cannot become Kafir by discarding the Wilayah.

According to us, you are incomplete if you do not accept the Wilayah of Ahlul Bayt. And this is not something you can fill by increasing your salat, or fasting more days or reading more verses from the book or doing more good deeds. You are missing one of the fundamental of Islam.

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

Those who have knowledge of the truth that Ameer ul Mu'mineen and the Aimmah (as) are hujjaj Allah (swt), but these individuals reject it with knowing it is haqq, they are kaafir.

Those individuals who never knew of it, those who are ignorant of the wilayah, their affair is with Allah (swt).

(salam)

This is a saying of Imam Ali (as) btw. I read it in some book.

Edited by Abu Dujana

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

(wasalam)

Can't we say the same about the Christians, Jews, Atheists, etc. who don't have enough knowledge about Islam? Why only use this excuse for Sunnis?

Yes, they do recognize Imam Mahdi (as), but what about the rest of the 11 Imams? Especially the Wasiyyah of Imam Ali (as)..

(salam)

Wilayah is not part of Sunni Shahadah. Neither is Wilayah a pillar of their religion. They do not recognize Wilayah obligatory. According to the definition of the Sunni madhab, they cannot become Kafir by discarding the Wilayah.

According to us, you are incomplete if you do not accept the Wilayah of Ahlul Bayt. And this is not something you can fill by increasing your salat, or fasting more days or reading more verses from the book or doing more good deeds. You are missing one of the fundamental of Islam.

(wasalam)

If their Aqeeda is missing one of the pillars of Islam, then how are they any better than Ahmedies or any other deviant sect that disobeys one of the fundamentals of Islam? A building is bound to collapse If It's built without all the pillars in place

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Well....you are right in the sense that no Sunni in the world would drop the Nubawah (accepting the prophet hood of the Holy Prophet (pbuh). I would let more knowledgeable brothers/sisters answer your question as to how should one view Muslims who refused to accept one or more pillar/fundamental of Islam.

I also believe the Sunnis do not have the moral or religious right to question Ahmadis or anyone else for lacking to follow any pillar of Islam. They themselves have abandoned/rejected one of the biggest pillar/fundamental of Islam – the Wilayah of the ahlul bayt.

• Site Administrators

bismillah.gif

salam.gif

"...Rejecting us(Imams) is rejecting Allah and that is up to the level of paganism and considering things equal to Allah..."

Salams

If we read through detailed teachings of our Imams, they have also clarified some of the variables such as "level of knowledge", "intention/sincerity" e.t.c In other words, if there is a person who has completely understood the ideology of Wilayat but decides to reject it due to other unfair reasons such as hatred (for example), then he has certainly rejected Allah. Because when we say that we believe in Allah but refuse to believe in Allah's message, we are basically rejecting him indirectly. However, if a Muslim trully believes that He is not convinced by the ideology of Wilayat, as taught by scholars or other muslims, and this Muslim has pure intentions to seek the truth, then we cannot claim that this person is rejecting Allah.

Fi-Amanillah

• Advanced Member

(wasalam)

I don't think It's wise to create certain scenarios for which abandoning Wilayah takes you out of the fold of Islam. Like I said, you could use the same excuse for Non-Muslims who are ignorant of Islam and not make Takfeer on them.

The point is simple: If rejecting one pillar of Islam, i.e. Nabuwwa, makes you a Kaffir no matter what the circumstances, then why can't this be applied for another pillar of Islam, Wassiyah? Why do we keeping making excuses for those who reject this fundamental part of Islam?

Edited by Soul Reaper

Like I said, you could use the same excuse for Non-Muslims who are ignorant of Islam and not make Takfeer on them.

Whom says it doesn't apply to non-Muslims. Quran says whether you warn kaffers or not, they will not believe. Can this be said true of all Christians and Jews and non-Muslims?. Or isn't only to those whom recognize the truth but cover it? The answer is obviously the latter.

• Advanced Member

(wasalam)

I don't think It's wise to create certain scenarios for which abandoning Wilayah takes you out of the fold of Islam. Like I said, you could use the same excuse for Non-Muslims who are ignorant of Islam and not make Takfeer on them.

The point is simple: If rejecting one pillar of Islam, i.e. Nabuwwa, makes you a Kaffir no matter what the circumstances, then why can't this be applied for another pillar of Islam, Wassiyah? Why do we keeping making excuses for those who reject this fundamental part of Islam?

^ Thank you. Unfortunately these questions can not be answered by any shia. Millions of sunnis reject Imamah even after so called "evidences" and millions more have no idea what it is in the first place , hence to shias they are kaffirs.

Like I said before, shias can't call sunnis kaffirs openly because they will simply look ridiculous. Period

• Veteran Member

^ Thank you. Unfortunately these questions can not be answered by any shia. Millions of sunnis reject Imamah even after so called "evidences" and millions more have no idea what it is in the first place , hence to shias they are kaffirs.

Like I said before, shias can't call sunnis kaffirs openly because they will simply look ridiculous. Period

If you are Muslim you cannot marry a Kafir. No Marje I know has ever to my knowledge declared it haram for a Shia to marry a Sunni. Therefore all your discussions are somewhat academic. If you then claim that the Marje are doing Taqiya or simply doing it so they wont look ridiculus that is patently false because if the the marriage is Haram then all the children born of such a marriage are Haram as well. Ergo I think you guys just dealing in idle speculation and false rumour mongering.

Salams

If we read through detailed teachings of our Imams, they have also clarified some of the variables such as "level of knowledge", "intention/sincerity" e.t.c In other words, if there is a person who has completely understood the ideology of Wilayat but decides to reject it due to other unfair reasons such as hatred (for example), then he has certainly rejected Allah. Because when we say that we believe in Allah but refuse to believe in Allah's message, we are basically rejecting him indirectly. However, if a Muslim trully believes that He is not convinced by the ideology of Wilayat, as taught by scholars or other muslims, and this Muslim has pure intentions to seek the truth, then we cannot claim that this person is rejecting Allah.

Fi-Amanillah

I completely agree with this, and I hope that someone would be able to bring out the narrations that deal with this topic. I would, but I don't have access to materials at the moment. Also, here's another question to ask. Some of our greatest scholars studied with the leading scholars of other schools in their time. Why would they even consider studying with scholars outside of their own schools if they believed that such people were not Muslim? It's well known that Shaykh al-Mufid studied under the leading Mu`tazilites of his time, and Mu`tazilites reject the Wilayah as well. Also, why would our Imams (as) keep Sunnis around them if they were not Muslim? There were several prominent companions of Imams Ja`far as-Sadiq (as) and Muhammad al-Baqir (as) who were Sunni.

• Veteran Member

^

salam.gif

from Al Kafi, Book of Belief and Disbelief

H 484, Ch. 8, h11

Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from Salih ibn al-Sindi from Ja'far ibn Bashir from abu Salama who has said the following:

"I heard Imam abu 'Abd Allah say, 'We are the ones obedience to whom is obligatory by the commands of Allah. People have no other choice except to recognize us. They will not be excused for not recognizing us. Those who recognize us are the true believers and those who refuse to acknowledge our Divine Authority are unbelievers. Those who do not recognize us and do not reject us are straying and lost until they return to guidance and affirm the fact that Allah has made obedience to us obligatory. However, if they die in their straying cond ition Allah will deal with them the way He would will.'"

H 485, Ch. 8, h12

Ali has narrated from Muhammad ibn 'Isa from Yunus from Muhammad ibn Fudayl who has said the following:

"Once I asked him (the Imam), recipient of divine supreme cov enant, 'What is the best thing that can take p eople closer to Allah?' He (the Imam), recipient of divine supreme covenant, said, 'Of the matters that can take people closer to Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, the best one is to obey Him, His messenger and those who possess Divine Authority.' Imam abu Ja'far, recipient of divine supreme covenant, has said, 'To love us is belief and to harbor hatred toward us is disbelief.'"

^

salam.gif

from Al Kafi, Book of Belief and Disbelief

H 484, Ch. 8, h11

Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from Salih ibn al-Sindi from Ja'far ibn Bashir from abu Salama who has said the following:

"I heard Imam abu 'Abd Allah say, 'We are the ones obedience to whom is obligatory by the commands of Allah. People have no other choice except to recognize us. They will not be excused for not recognizing us. Those who recognize us are the true believers and those who refuse to acknowledge our Divine Authority are unbelievers. Those who do not recognize us and do not reject us are straying and lost until they return to guidance and affirm the fact that Allah has made obedience to us obligatory. However, if they die in their straying cond ition Allah will deal with them the way He would will.'"

H 485, Ch. 8, h12

Ali has narrated from Muhammad ibn 'Isa from Yunus from Muhammad ibn Fudayl who has said the following:

"Once I asked him (the Imam), recipient of divine supreme cov enant, 'What is the best thing that can take p eople closer to Allah?' He (the Imam), recipient of divine supreme covenant, said, 'Of the matters that can take people closer to Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, the best one is to obey Him, His messenger and those who possess Divine Authority.' Imam abu Ja'far, recipient of divine supreme covenant, has said, 'To love us is belief and to harbor hatred toward us is disbelief.'"

What are the gradings on these? There are others that I was wondering about.

(wasalam)

Because this assumes that Wilayah is on the same footing as the other fundamentals. However, it has been posited that Wilayah is an extension of Tawhid and Nubuwwah. By this alone, we can't treat its rejection as absolutely as we would treat the rejection of other pillars.

EDIT: In light of Sister Zareen's post below, it seems that "on the same footing as..." is a poor choice of words on my part. It's probably more apt to say that Wilayah is different than the other fundamentals.

Edited by al-Irshad

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I am a little bit concern that people are dismissing the Wilayah of ahlul bayt as unimportant or treat it as a side issue. It is not.

Maybe some of you need to be reminded. What are the Usool of Deen (fundamental of the religion)?

1. Tawheed (Unity of the God)

2. Adalat (God's Justice)

3. Nubuwat (Prophethood)

4. Imamah (The Imams of ahlul bayt)

5. Qayamat (Day of Judgement)

And then comes the branches of the religion (Obligations) like Prayers, fasting, Hajj, Zakat, Khums, Jihad, Enjoying the good and forbidding the evil, Tawalla and Tabarra.

The Usool of deen are more important than the furo (branches of religion). Can you pray or fast without Tawheed (La ilaaha illa Allah)?

(salam)

I am a little bit concern that people are dismissing the Wilayah of ahlul bayt as unimportant or treat it as a side issue. It is not.

Maybe some of you need to be reminded. What are the Usool of Deen (fundamental of the religion)?

1. Tawheed (Unity of the God)

2. Adalat (God's Justice)

3. Nubuwat (Prophethood)

4. Imamah (The Imams of ahlul bayt)

5. Qayamat (Day of Judgement)

And then comes the branches of the religion (Obligations) like Prayers, fasting, Hajj, Zakat, Khums, Jihad, Enjoying the good and forbidding the evil, Tawalla and Tabarra.

The Usool of deen are more important than the furo (branches of religion). Can you pray or fast without Tawheed (La ilaaha illa Allah)?

Nobody is saying this. Let's make this clear that an absolute rejection of Wilayah would negate all of one's worship and belief. However, there are a million shades of gray surrounding the rejection of Wilayah, which is even evident from the narrations of the Imams (as). This and the relation of Wilayah to the other Usool ad-Din, which is what makes it unique, are being discussed. It's not so much that absolute rejection of Wilayah is an issue, but that most people who "reject" the Wilayah do not knowingly do so, which is what complicates the scene.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

One who dies without knowing his Imam of his time dies the death of jahilia; same concept with the wilaya i believe.

Edited by ali12

• Advanced Member

Nobody is saying this. Let's make this clear that an absolute rejection of Wilayah would negate all of one's worship and belief. However, there are a million shades of gray surrounding the rejection of Wilayah, which is even evident from the narrations of the Imams (as). This and the relation of Wilayah to the other Usool ad-Din, which is what makes it unique, are being discussed. It's not so much that absolute rejection of Wilayah is an issue, but that most people who "reject" the Wilayah do not knowingly do so, which is what complicates the scene.

If you reject wilayah then you reject all divine authority, all the prophets. That is what absolute rejection of wilyah is.

To be a momin you must accept wilayah completely, and for that you have to accept the imamate.

If you reject wilayah then you reject all divine authority, all the prophets. That is what absolute rejection of wilyah is.

To be a momin you must accept wilayah completely, and for that you have to accept the imamate.

Who's discussing being a mu'min? That's a separate issue altogether. And, I agree with the above, but that doesn't mean that someone who accepts Imamate is by default a mu'min. There is still far more to it than that, and once again this is being turned into something so black-and-white.

• Advanced Member

Who's discussing being a mu'min? That's a separate issue altogether. And, I agree with the above, but that doesn't mean that someone who accepts Imamate is by default a mu'min. There is still far more to it than that, and once again this is being turned into something so black-and-white.

True, a mumin also needs to follow the imams truly.

• Advanced Member

Technically, because of the differences in Shiite Islam/interpretations and the Sunni ones, some Shiites will view them as kaffirs since their knowledge of Islam contradicts Shiite Islam, or Sunnis will view Shiites, for similar reasons.

Assalam alaykum.

I tried to look up ahadeeth gradings for you. I couldn't find the ahadeeth by dooby in the Book of Belief and Disbelief; because they are found in the Book of People with Divine Authority!

al-Kafi, Usool al-Kafi volume 1, Book about People with Divine Authority, Chapter 8, hadeeth number 11:

“I heard Imam abu ‘Abd Allah say, ‘We are the ones obedience to whom is obligatory by the commands of Allah. People have no other choice except to recognize us. They will not be excused for not recognizing us. Those who recognize us are the true believers and those who refuse to acknowledge our Divine Authority are unbelievers. Those who do not recognize us and do not reject us are straying and lost until they return to guidance and affirm the fact that Allah has made obedience to us obligatory. However, if they die in their straying condition Allah will deal with them the way He would will.’”

I tried to look up the grading in Miraat al-Uqool. I'm a noob when it comes to Arabic, so I didn't understand the entry for this hadeeth. But someone who understands Arabic better can probably tell you where the grading is in the entry for this hadeeth. This is what I found in Miraat al-Uqool, volume 2, page 332-333 (miraat al-uqool has a commentary for many ahadeeth, so much of the text is probably commentary):

الحديث الحادي عشر:

" و من أنكرنا" أ

(9) ي حكم و جزم بعدم وجوب ولايتنا و إمامتنا، فالثالث من شك في ذلك من المستضعفين كما سيأتي تحقيقه في كتاب الإيمان و الكفر، فقوله: من طاعتنا الواجبة، أي القول بوجوب طاعتنا أو المراد بالثالث الفساق من الشيعة فإنهم ناقصون في المعرفة، و إلا لم يخالفوا إمامهم، فإن ماتوا على ذلك يفعل الله بهم ما يشاء من العذاب أو العفو، و يؤيده ظاهر قوله: من طاعتنا الواجبة، و قيل: المراد بقوله: من أنكرنا،

من جحدنا بعد الاطلاع على قول الله و قول الرسول فينا، فالجحود بعد وضوح الأمر فينا رد على الله و على الرسول، و الراد عليهما كافر، و الضالون علي قسمين أسوأهما المتهاونون بأمر الدين، التاركون لطلب المعرفة بلا استضعاف‏

" فإن يمت على ضلالته يفعل الله به ما يشاء"

(1) من عقابه و نكاله، و أما المستضعفون الذين استثناهم الله تعالى" إِلَّا الْمُسْتَضْعَفِينَ مِنَ الرِّجالِ وَ النِّساءِ وَ الْوِلْدانِ" فمن يمت على حد ضلاله يفعل الله به ما يشاء من العفو و الخذلان.

Same source, Hadeeth 12:

Ali has narrated from Muhammad ibn ‘Isa from Yunus from Muhammad ibn Fudayl who has said the following: “Once I asked him (the Imam), recipient of divine supreme covenant, ‘What is the best thing that can take people closer to Allah?’ He (the Imam), recipient of divine supreme covenant, said, ‘Of the matters that can take people closer to Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, the best one is to obey Him, His messenger and those who possess Divine Authority.’ Imam abu Ja‘far, recipient of divine supreme covenant, has said, ‘To love us is belief and to harbor hatred toward us is disbelief.’”

Allamah al-Majlisi in Miraat al-Uqool, volume 2, page 333:

(2): مجهول، بل صحيح إذ الظاهر أن محمد بن الفضيل هو محمد بن القاسم بن الفضيل، فضمير سألته راجع إلى الرضا عليه السلام، و قيل: راجع إلى الصادق عليه السلام و هو بعيد، و قيل: إلى محمد بن الفضيل فيكون كلام يونس و هو أبعد.

The first phrase says something like: Majhool (unknown); but would appear to be saheeh if Muhammed bin al-Fadheel is actually Muhammed bin al-Qasim bin al-Fadheel.

Also, I found this in the Book of Belief and Disbelief:

al-Kafi, Usool al-Kafi volume 2, Book of Belief and Disbelief, Chapter 10, hadeeth number 5:

Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from his father and ‘Abd Allah ibn al-Salt all of them from Hammad ibn ’Isa from Hariz ibn ‘Abd Allah from Zurara from abu Ja’far, recipient of divine supreme covenant, who has said the following:

“Abu Ja'far, recipient of divine supreme covenant, has said, ‘Islam is based on five issues. It is based on prayer, charity (al-Zakat), Hajj, Fasting and al-Wilayah.’ Zurara has said, ‘I then asked the Imam, “Which of these is more important than the others?’” The Imam said, ‘Al-Wilayah is more important. It is the key to the others. The person who possesses Divine Authority is the guide to the other principles.’ I then asked, ‘Which is the next important?’ The Imam said, ‘Thereafter is prayer. The Messenger of Allah has said, “Prayer is the pillar of your religion.”’ I then asked, ‘Which is the next important among them?’ The Imam said, ‘Al-Zakat is the one thereafter. Allah has mentioned it next to prayer but He has mentioned prayer first. The Messenger of Allah has said, “Al-Zakat removes sins.”’ I then asked, ‘Which one is important thereafter?’ The Imam said, ‘Hajj is important thereafter. Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Holy, has said, “It is a duty of the people to Allah to perform Hajj of the House if they are capable to do so. Whoever rejects it should know that Allah does not need anyone in the world.” (3:97) The messenger of Allah has said, “Performing Hajj that is accepted is more virtuous than twenty Rak’at optional prayer. Whoever walks around the House seven times and performs the two Rak’at prayers thereafter properly Allah will grant him cover.” He (The Messenger of Allah) did say on the ninth of the month of Dil Hajj and on the tenth of the month of Dil Hajj in Muzdalifa (a place in Makka), what he wanted to say.’ I then asked, ‘Which one is important thereafter?’ The Imam said, ‘It is fasting.’ “I then asked, ‘Why is fasting the last of all in importance?’ The Imam said, ‘The Messenger of Allah has said, “Fasting is a shield against the fire.”’ The narrator has said that the Imam said, ‘The best of all things is that for which, if you miss, you do not find an alternative accept going back to achieve it. Prayer, al-Wilayah and Hajj are not of matters replaceable with their own kind. On the other hand if fasting is missed on a journey one has the choice to fast on other days as remedy, or compensate for the sin with expiation and no fasting is necessary as a remedy. In the cases of the other four issues there is no alternative for them.’ The narrator has said that the Imam then said, ‘The topmost, the peak of the issue, the key and the door to it and the pleasure of the Beneficent (Lord) is to obey the Imam properly after knowing him clearly. Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Holy, says, “Whoever obeys the Messenger he has obeyed Allah and whoever turns away from such obedience then you should know that We have not sent you to guard them.” (4:80)

‘Without recognizing the Divine Authority of the Imam, the deputy of Allah, no one has the right to receive any reward from Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Holy. This is true even though in his lifetime he may stand up in worship the whole night, fast during the day, give all his belongings in charity and perform Hajj every year. So also it is if he does not acknowledge the Divine Authority of his Imam with which all of one’s deeds can take place with the guidance of the Imam. Without al-Wilayah, one is not considered of the people of belief.’ Thereafter the Imam said, ‘Allah will admit, those of them who do good deeds into paradise through His extra mercy.’”

Allamah al-Majlisi in Miraat al-Uqool, Volume 7, page 102, grades this hadeeth as Saheeh.

Peace.

Edited by Perseverance