Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mehdi soldier

Was Adam Also Infallible?

Rate this topic

(salam)

Allahumma Salleh Ala Muhammad Wa Alle Muhammad,Wa Ajjel Farajahum!

in our beliefs-SHIA ISLAM,we believe that the prophets and the imams never disobeyed their Lord nor did they do any mistake or an action contrary to God's will or wish.if we are to read the Quran we find that the prophets did commit "mistakes",even though they may not necessarily amount to a major sin.in the case of adam in particular almighty Allah says: وعصى آدم ربه فغوى (wa asa adama rabbahu fa ghawa).the verse is in Ta-Ha verse 121.it says that "adam disobeyed his lord and was led astray".according to most sunnis,the prophets like adam can commit sins,minor sins and not major sins.in shia islam,the prophets and imams are infallible from birth and can commit no sin or mistake by God's permission.

i would like your understanding on the issue of Prophet Adam.i would like you to explain the verses,as to how adam did not sin at all nor did he go against God's will or order.also,if adam was created and meant for the earth,why did God create a tree and then warn adam not to near that tree? God knew the purpose of putting the tree in the garden.the tree would lead adam out.that all can be described as a plan by God.man was destined from the beginning for the earth.but why would God warn adam not to do something that is within God's own plan for man? it is like i am giving you a knife,i know you would use to kill someone,but i am still being dishonest to warn you that you should not use it against anyone.i know that is not the case with almighty Allah and only my weak understanding and ignorance is making my mind to consider so many possibilities.i am giving this analogy so your explanation would be more detailed and understanding.

Therefor we said: O Adam! This is an enemy unto thee and unto thy wife, so let him not drive you both out of the Garden so that thou come to toil. (117) It is (vouchsafed) unto thee that thou hungerest not therein nor art naked, (118) And that thou thirstest not therein nor art exposed to the sun's heat. (119) But the Devil whispered to him, saying: O Adam! Shall I show thee the tree of immortality and power that wasteth not away? (120) Then they twain ate thereof, so that their shame became apparent unto them, and they began to hide by heaping on themselves some of the leaves of the Garden. And Adam disobeyed his Lord, so went astray. (121) Then his Lord chose him, and relented toward him, and guided him. (122) He said: Go down hence, both of you, one of you a foe unto the other. But if there come unto you from Me a guidance, then whoso followeth My guidance, he will not go astray nor come to grief. (123) surat Ta-Ha.

we can also read in verse 115 of surat Ta-Ha,adam is said to have forgotten:

And verily We made a covenant of old with Adam, but he forgot, and We found no constancy in him.

i know if you forget that you are fasting and you eat,Allah would grant you a complete fast after you remember.but can an infallible forget?can he forget the instruction of Allah?

Adam is said to have:

1.) Disobeyed his Lord-"asa"

2.) gone astray-"ghawa"

3.) forgot his Lord's instructions-"nasiya".

how do we explain those explicit words to mean that adam did not commit a sin still yet?or is committing this "sin"-eating from the tree-a blessing according to God's plan?then why the words of condemnation?

Jazakumullah Khair.

Edited by mehdi soldier

(salam)

A ma`sum can still make mistakes he did not intend. For example, Adam ate the fruit, Musa accidentally killed an Egyptian, and Dawud in the 99 cattle parable. In relation to Adam, the Qur'an specifically uses the word "nasiya" which means "he forgot", and we are not punished on what we forget and for our mistakes. Ma`sum in Arabic means something like "sinless", rather than "infallible" in the sense that a prophet will never err, never forget, etc.

Of course, the ma`sumeen were more than just sinless, as Allah protected them from making mistakes in religion, but there were some mistakes they made in their physical life. For example, many of our Imams died from poison, but we know some of them knew when and how they would perish. We have some hadiths on this issue, where Allah would make an Imam temporarily forget about the poison until he consumes it. This is a fatal mistake, but he is still ma`sum, because it is not a sin, and it does not relate to his religion.

Edited by Qa'im

Salams

Below is a reference from Uyun Akhbar Al Reza - Chapter, Debate on the Prophets' inerrancy - Vol 1

....Then Ali ibn Muhammad ibn Al-Jahm stood up and asked, " O Son of the Prophet of God (Imam Reza), Do you believe in the Immaculateness of the Prophets?"

"Yes", replied the Imam.

He said, " Then what do you have to say about the following verses? '...Thus did Adam disobey his Lord and allow himself to be seduced'.....

Imam replied, " O Ali ! Woe be to you ! Fear God. Do not ascribe transgressions to the Prophets and do not interpret God's book according to your own opinion. Indeed God said, 'but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge...'. And regarding his words about Adam, it must be noted that God created Adam as His proof on Earth and as His successor in the towns. However, God had not created Adam for paradise and Adam's act of disobedience occurred in Paradise, not on the earth. Adam's being Immaculate was a must for Him to fully implement the Decrees of God. Once He was sent down to the Earth as God's proof and Successor, he was immaculate according to what the Honorable God said, "God did chose Adam and Noah, the family of Abraham, and the family of Imran above all People"

Fi-Amanillah

Salams

Below is a reference from Uyun Akhbar Al Reza - Chapter, Debate on the Prophets' inerrancy - Vol 1

....Then Ali ibn Muhammad ibn Al-Jahm stood up and asked, " O Son of the Prophet of God (Imam Reza), Do you believe in the Immaculateness of the Prophets?"

"Yes", replied the Imam.

He said, " Then what do you have to say about the following verses? '...Thus did Adam disobey his Lord and allow himself to be seduced'.....

Imam replied, " O Ali ! Woe be to you ! Fear God. Do not ascribe transgressions to the Prophets and do not interpret God's book according to your own opinion. Indeed God said, 'but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge...'. And regarding his words about Adam, it must be noted that God created Adam as His proof on Earth and as His successor in the towns. However, God had not created Adam for paradise and Adam's act of disobedience occurred in Paradise, not on the earth. Adam's being Immaculate was a must for Him to fully implement the Decrees of God. Once He was sent down to the Earth as God's proof and Successor, he was immaculate according to what the Honorable God said, "God did chose Adam and Noah, the family of Abraham, and the family of Imran above all People"

Fi-Amanillah

Thank you, brother ...... but theres one thing i dont understand, Adam (as) still "disobeyed" Allah in Paradise .... if the act of disobedience didn't count in Paradise then why did Adam cry for forgiveness ?

Thank you, brother ...... but theres one thing i dont understand, Adam as.gif still "disobeyed" Allah in Paradise .... if the act of disobedience didn't count in Paradise then why did Adam cry for forgiveness ?

The act itself cannot be ignored. Adam did err for which He cried a lot. However, kindly refer to the concept of "Tarq e Awla".

Tarke Awla (Forgoing the preferable act)Whatever a man does, there is always something better than what he has done. That is, it would have been better if he had not done a particular thing. For example, all the incidents mentioned with regard to the acts of the Prophets (a.s.) fall into this category.

As for Adam's intense cry for forgiveness, I think that if we study the lives of all Masumeen, we find them in a state of humility before God at all times. They were quick in 'repenting' whenever they felt that their actions were not the preferred/desireable option in the eyes of Allah. Seeking forgiveness from Allah is also a form of worship in itself as we express our weakness and our reliance on Allah's Mercy upon us. Our own Prophet and Imams used to recite duwas of forgiveness on a regular basis. That didn't mean that they sinned. They would tremble and cry when standing before Allah in their prayers....

(bismillah)

I've spoken to some ulama before about this issue, and they say Adam (as) committed no mistake nor sinned. Rather, Nabi Adam (as) was lured by shaytan to eat from the tree, and he committed that act because he was not given absolute knowledge of everything from Allah swt yet, knowledge of the powers of shaytan, the extent of his influence, the evils in the world, and thus committed the act out of ignorance and unawareness, and not disobedience or rebellion.

He was made aware after approaching the tree, and was exposed to the reality of the evil of the world, and thus that was a specific lesson intended for him from Allah swt to teach him and show him how easily or how falling into a trap can happen. Nabi Adam (as) learned from this, this was not a mistake by him or a sin, rather planned from the beginning. This is what taught him that in case he encounters something like it again, he knew it was shaytan (la), and thus he was always ma'suum.

Edited by jund_el_Mahdi

(bismillah)

I've spoken to some ulama before about this issue, and they say Adam (as) committed no mistake nor sinned. Rather, Nabi Adam (as) was lured by shaytan to eat from the tree, and he committed that act because he was not given absolute knowledge of everything from Allah swt yet, knowledge of the powers of shaytan, the extent of his influence, the evils in the world, and thus committed the act out of ignorance and unawareness, and not disobedience or rebellion.

He was made aware after approaching the tree, and was exposed to the reality of the evil of the world, and thus that was a specific lesson intended for him from Allah swt to teach him and show him how easily or how falling into a trap can happen. Nabi Adam (as) learned from this, this was not a mistake by him or a sin, rather planned from the beginning. This is what taught him that in case he encounters something like it again, he knew it was shaytan (la), and thus he was always ma'suum.

thanks all for the replies.

the main point i asked was had Allah planned all these and He wanted to teach Adam and humanity a specific lesson as you put it,then why did Allah still say Adam "disobeyed" Him?

its like i am giving you a book full of curses and insults.i am warning you against insults and curses.i gave you the book,knowing that you would be deceived into using those bad words.then i am accusing you of disobedience.it still doesnt seat well in my head.

brother Qaim said infallibility doesnt mean that prophets cannot make mistakes unintentionally.that sounds ok but that would mean adopting a sunni perspective.the sunni believe Rasul forgot while praying.but we reject that.if Adam can forget the instruction of his Lord,then why cant Rasul forget a verse?

brother InshaAllah gave an explanation which says Adam was infallible on earth.that means when he was in jannah,he could forget and a plan was made by Allah to get him where he belonged.also he gave an explanation of tark al-awla.that makes sense no doubt.

and concluding i can say that this was made a sunnah for us to see that when you forget your Lord and follow the whispers of shaytan you are disobeying him.

thanks all for the replies.in a collective way,the doubts are cleared.but any more logical explanation would be appreciated.

Edited by mehdi soldier

thanks all for the replies.

the main point i asked was had Allah planned all these and He wanted to teach Adam and humanity a specific lesson as you put it,then why did Allah still say Adam "disobeyed" Him?

its like i am giving you a book full of curses and insults.i am warning you against insults and curses.i gave you the book,knowing that you would be deceived into using those bad words.then i am accusing you of disobedience.it still doesnt seat well in my head.

brother Qaim said infallibility doesnt mean that prophets cannot make mistakes unintentionally.that sounds ok but that would mean adopting a sunni perspective.the sunni believe Rasul forgot while praying.but we reject that.if Adam can forget the instruction of his Lord,then why cant Rasul forget a verse?

brother InshaAllah gave an explanation which says Adam was infallible on earth.that means when he was in jannah,he could forget and a plan was made by Allah to get him where he belonged.also he gave an explanation of tark al-awla.that makes sense no doubt.

and concluding i can say that this was made a sunnah for us to see that when you forget your Lord and follow the whispers of shaytan you are disobeying him.

thanks all for the replies.in a collectively way,the doubts are cleared.but any more logical and explanation would be appreciated.

(bismillah)

Adam (as) was not in jannah during the incident with the tree. This is a common mistake people make about the history. Shaytan has no power in jannah, he can not affect anybody there. Therefore, logically many ulama agree he was indeed in either Earth (most likely), or different realm altogether...

We reject any notion of Rasulallah (saw) making mistakes as he had the knowledge and revelations bestowed to him and had that ma'arifat of the unseen. Nabi Adam (as) was still not yet given all the knowledge that Allah swt was going to bestow unto him, so he made that "mistake", if you will, out of ignorance, or better yet, unawareness of what can happen if he disobeys his Lord. It was not his intention nor did he purposefully rebel.

I think you are wrong. Ive always herd it was hawwa who wanted to eat first.

No, she's not wrong. That is strictly a Judeo-Christian belief. The Qur'an gives no indication whatsoever as to Hawaa being at fault or eating first. There are some sunni scholars who will take from the Bible in order to fill in the blanks of the ahadeeth stories, but there is no proof in Islaam for Hawaa being the one to eat first or convincing Adam to eat, etc. If there actually is shi'a ahaadeeth on it, please post it.

(bismillah)

Adam (as) was not in jannah during the incident with the tree. This is a common mistake people make about the history. Shaytan has no power in jannah, he can not affect anybody there. Therefore, logically many ulama agree he was indeed in either Earth (most likely), or different realm altogether...

We reject any notion of Rasulallah (saw) making mistakes as he had the knowledge and revelations bestowed to him and had that ma'arifat of the unseen. Nabi Adam (as) was still not yet given all the knowledge that Allah swt was going to bestow unto him, so he made that "mistake", if you will, out of ignorance, or better yet, unawareness of what can happen if he disobeys his Lord. It was not his intention nor did he purposefully rebel.

when i used the word "jannnah" i am refering to the garden Adam (as) was placed in and not to the place of the hereafter.

also based on the above explanation you gave regarding knowledge,how can Allah charge you of disobedience when you have no knowledge of it being disobedience? also didnt Allah warn Adam not to go near the tree? ok,he forgot.and at that point he was lacking the weapon (knowledge) to combat the deception of shaytan.are we simply saying that disobedience is disobedience regardless of the state of the person?and that the state of the person would describe whether the disobedience amounts to a sin or not?i am getting that clearer as the idea projected.

(bismillah)

15-1 Tamim ibn Abdullah ibn Tamim al-Qurashi - may God be pleased with him - narrated that his father quoted on the authority of Hamdan ibn Soleiman al-Neishaboori, on the authority of Ali ibn Muhammad ibn Al-Jahm that he entered a session held by Al-Ma’mun. Ali ibn Musa Al-Reza (s) was also there. Al-Ma’mun asked him, “O Son of the Prophet! Don’t you say that the Prophets (s) are innocent?”

Imam Al-Reza (s) replied, “Yes.”

Al-Ma’mun asked, “Then what is meant by the following Quranic verse, ‘... Thus did Adam disobey his Lord, and allow himself to be seduced.’ [252]“

Imam Al-Reza (s) said, “The Almighty God told Adam, ‘Dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden. And eat of the beautiful things therein as (where and when) ye will, but approach not this tree.’ [253] He pointed to the wheat tree.[254] God added, ‘Or ye run into harm and transgression.’ [255] God did not tell them, ‘Do not eat of this tree and other trees of the same type.’

The two of them did not approach that tree, nor did they eat from it. However, after being tempted by Satan they ate from another tree.[256] Satan told them, ‘... Your Lord only forbade you this tree, lest you should become angels or such beings as live forever.’[257] Satan swore to them that he was their sincere advisor. Adam and Eve had never seen anyone falsely swear to God before. ‘So by deceit he brought about their fall...’[258] Thus trusting his oath they ate from the tree. This happened before Adam's Prophethood. It was not a major sin to make him deserve to enter the Fire. But it was a minor sin which God forgives.[259] Such sins are also permitted for the Prophets before their appointment. Once God appointed Muhammad (s) to Prophethood, he became innocent and did not commit any minor or major sins. God says, ‘... Thus did Adam disobey his Lord, and allowed himself to be seduced. But his Lord chose him (for His Grace): He turned to him, and gave him guidance.’[260] God also says, ‘God did choose Adam and Noah, the family of Abraham, and the family of Imran above all people.’”[261]

Since Allah (swt) states in the Qur'an that he will be his Khaleefah upon earth, this garden could not be on Earth otherwise he would have been the Hujjah. So this "garden" seems to be some sort of celestial garden (though not the jannah i think). So upon his mistake, he is put upon Earth where he is Allah (swt)'s Khaleefa.

(salam)

Edited by Dar'ul_Islam

(bismillah)

Since Allah (swt) states in the Qur'an that he will be his Khaleefah upon earth, this garden could not be on Earth otherwise he would have been the Hujjah. So this "garden" seems to be some sort of celestial garden (though not the jannah i think). So upon his mistake, he is put upon Earth where he is Allah (swt)'s Khaleefa.

(salam)

the narration you presented says:

Imam Al-Reza (s) said, “The Almighty God told Adam, ‘Dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden. And eat of the beautiful things therein as (where and when) ye will, but approach not this tree.’ [253] He pointed to the wheat tree.[254] God added, ‘Or ye run into harm and transgression.’ [255] God did not tell them, ‘Do not eat of this tree and other trees of the same type.’

.[256] Satan told them, ‘... Your Lord only forbade you this tree, lest you should become angels or such beings as live forever.’[257]

SO DID GOD PROHIBITED ADAM FROM EATING FROM THAT TREE AND ALSO PREVENTED ADAM FROM GOING NEAR ANOTHER?

WHAT IS MEANT BY "The two of them did not approach that tree, nor did they eat from it. However, after being tempted by Satan they ate from another tree"?

WHICH OTHER TREE?AND IF ADAM DID NOT EAT FROM THE TREE PROHIBITED THEN HOW CAN HE BE DESCRIBED AS "DISOBEDIENT"?PLEASE CLARIFY.

(salam)

Salam (mehdi soldier) here is a document called 'The Infallibility of the Prophets in the Quran', it talks about the issue of Adam (a.s), i havn't read it all but it could be of great use inshAllah.

Wa'Salam!

20063460-Sayyid-Saeed-Akhtar-Rizvi-The-Infallibility-of-the-Prophets-in-the-Quran.pdf

Edited by Son Of Adam

(salam)

Salam (mehdi soldier) here is a document called 'The Infallibility of the Prophets in the Quran', it talks about the issue of Adam (a.s), i havn't read it all but it could be of great use inshAllah.

Wa'Salam!

W/S

thanks for the effort.

i actually have the book.

the explanations given in the book are basically the same given on the forum.they do make sense and the doubts are cleared.

but my main contention was:why would Adam's action be part of God's plan and what Adam did was not sin and God still said "wa asa adama rabbahu".

the reasons given can cover the above question.we can also know that all that was done and said was a sunnah for us to learn from.but more ideas are nontheless appreciated.

Edited by mehdi soldier

W/S

thanks for the effort.

i actually have the book.

the explanations given in the book are basically the same given on the forum.they do make sense and the doubts are cleared.

but my main contention was:why would Adam's action be part of God's plan and what Adam did was not sin and God still said "wa asa adama rabbahu".

the reasons given can cover the above question.we can also know that all that was done and said was a sunnah for us to learn from.but more ideas are nontheless appreciated.

Ok, brother, this question of "God's Plan" was troubling me too but this is what i deduced .....

This wasn't the Plan of Allah swt .... rather Allah swt knew what was to happen anyway .... we are all given freewill but our freewill leads to the Divine Decree no matter what we do ...... so Adam (as) was told to avoid this certain tree but he was seduced by Shaytan but his act of disobedience was all innocent because adam didnt know about shaytan and evil.....

so thats basically it.... Adam (as) disobeyed the Divine Decree and so fate of humanity was changed through it , i guess....

hope thats a logical conclusion

w/s

Ok, brother, this question of "God's Plan" was troubling me too but this is what i deduced .....

This wasn't the Plan of Allah swt .... rather Allah swt knew what was to happen anyway .... we are all given freewill but our freewill leads to the Divine Decree no matter what we do ...... so Adam (as) was told to avoid this certain tree but he was seduced by Shaytan but his act of disobedience was all innocent because adam didnt know about shaytan and evil.....

so thats basically it.... Adam (as) disobeyed the Divine Decree and so fate of humanity was changed through it , i guess....

hope thats a logical conclusion

w/s

brother you cant say it was not the plan of Allah because Adam had already being destined to live on earth.rather we can say that after Adam ate the fruit,he was not punished by Allah because sending adam to earth was what he was destined for.Allah created adam for the earth.even the bible says adam was created to dominate the earth and everything was already made for him to reside the earth.the quran also says Allah created adam so he would be a viceregent on earth.the christians believe adam was removed to the garden as a punishment and sent to earth.but islamically,sending adam to the earth cannot be viewed as a punishment because he was meant for the earth.implicitly we can say Allah did not punish adam because he did not commit a sin.

as for the word "asa" it can be interpreted to mean not just "disobey".also we can say that the plan and event surrounding adam's transit from the garden to the earth was to demonstrate how evil and wicked shaitan was and to tell adam and us that if we forget or ignore Allah's commands shaytan would lead us out of the garden.in our own case,shaytan will lead us into hell fire and make us lose al-jannah.

from the story of adam we can conclude that :

1.) Allah intended adam to live on earth

2.) adam did not sin

3.) the events that unfolded did no harm to adam but only exposed the exploits of shaytan

4.) upon adam's entry into the earth,the first covenant Allah did with him was to send him guidance and his offsprings,and whoever follows the guidance shall not be led astray.

YOU CAN VIEW THIS LECTURE ON ADAM'S INFALLIBILITY BY PROFESSOR HASSANAIN RAJABALI:

PART 1:

PART 2:

YOU CAN ALSO WATCH THIS VIDEO TITLED "DID PROPHET ADAM COMMIT A SIN" BY SHEIKH SAFDAR RAZI (HE IS REFUTING THE "ORIGINAL SIN":

the narration you presented says:

SO DID GOD PROHIBITED ADAM FROM EATING FROM THAT TREE AND ALSO PREVENTED ADAM FROM GOING NEAR ANOTHER?

WHAT IS MEANT BY "The two of them did not approach that tree, nor did they eat from it. However, after being tempted by Satan they ate from another tree"?

WHICH OTHER TREE?AND IF ADAM DID NOT EAT FROM THE TREE PROHIBITED THEN HOW CAN HE BE DESCRIBED AS "DISOBEDIENT"?PLEASE CLARIFY.

Talk by sayyed Khalil tabatabai on the subject of Adam (as):

WHY DID GOD TOLD ADAM HE SHOULD NOT GO NEAR THE TREE WHEN HE HAD ALREADY DESTINED ADAM FOR EARTH AND EATING FROM THE TREE WOULD ACCOMPLISH THAT PLAN?

if Allah had not told adam not to eat from the tree,shaytan would not have being exposed.then it means nothing would be wrong with shaytan whipering to adam and convincing him to eat.the intent of shaytan was evil while the Quran vindicates adam's intent as the case in surat taha verse 115.one of the lessons of the story of adam was the exposure of shaytan and his deception.it was a sunnah made clear to adam and mankind not to follow shaytan and not to ignore Allah.the purpose of Allah was set and the action of adam was no sin.Allah exposed shaytan in a planned setting,showing adam how shaytan can swear and lie contrary to God's guidance to mislead man.remember the verse:wa makaro makran wa makarna makra.wallahu khairul makireen.adam did not choose the best but nontheless did not commit what can amount to a sin as the consequence of his action was the destiny to live on earth that Allah had already planned.

Edited by mehdi soldier

Guest Muhamad

brother you cant say it was not the plan of Allah because Adam had already being destined to live on earth.rather we can say that after Adam ate the fruit,he was not punished by Allah because sending adam to earth was what he was destined for.Allah created adam for the earth.even the bible says adam was created to dominate the earth and everything was already made for him to reside the earth.the quran also says Allah created adam so he would be a viceregent on earth.the christians believe adam was removed to the garden as a punishment and sent to earth.but islamically,sending adam to the earth cannot be viewed as a punishment because he was meant for the earth.implicitly we can say Allah did not punish adam because he did not commit a sin.

as for the word "asa" it can be interpreted to mean not just "disobey".also we can say that the plan and event surrounding adam's transit from the garden to the earth was to demonstrate how evil and wicked shaitan was and to tell adam and us that if we forget or ignore Allah's commands shaytan would lead us out of the garden.in our own case,shaytan will lead us into hell fire and make us lose al-jannah.

from the story of adam we can conclude that :

1.) Allah intended adam to live on earth

2.) adam did not sin

3.) the events that unfolded did no harm to adam but only exposed the exploits of shaytan

4.) upon adam's entry into the earth,the first covenant Allah did with him was to send him guidance and his offsprings,and whoever follows the guidance shall not be led astray.

YOU CAN VIEW THIS LECTURE ON ADAM'S INFALLIBILITY BY PROFESSOR HASSANAIN RAJABALI:

PART 1:

PART 2:

YOU CAN ALSO WATCH THIS VIDEO TITLED "DID PROPHET ADAM COMMIT A SIN" BY SHEIKH SAFDAR RAZI (HE IS REFUTING THE "ORIGINAL SIN":

salam.gif

1) Allah intended for Adam to live on earth and intended for kafiroon to go to hell as well .. the same way like Allah intended for all sins that have been/are/will be committed by each and every sinner on earth. .. same way like Allah has intended for good people to go to heaven .. God has intended each mistake any human has ever made .. nothing can happen without God's intentions.

2) Adam DID sin: sin = disobeying God's commandment ..

here are a couple of ayas that show my point concerning Adamas.gif:

2:35 (Asad) And We said: "O adam, dwell thou and thy wife in this garden, and eat freely thereof, both of you, whatever you may wish; but do not approach this one tree, lest you become wrongdoers."

(so then they became wrongdoers)

2:37 (Asad) Thereupon adam received words [of guidance] from his Sustainer, and He accepted his repentance: for, verily, He alone is the-Acceptor of Repentance, the Dispenser of Grace.

After asking for forgivness for his mistake God forgave him. still think he's infallible??

7:19 (Asad) And [as for thee], O adam', dwell thou and thy wife in this garden, and eat, both of you, whatever you may wish; but do not approach this one tree, lest you become evildoers!"

we all know what happened then ..

20:121 (Asad) And so the two ate [of the fruit] thereof: and thereupon they became conscious of their nakedness and began to cover themselves with pieced-together leaves from the garden. And [thus] didadam disobey his Sustainer, and thus did he fall into grievous error.

so still think that Adam as.gif never committed a mistake ???

after falling into grievous error??

after becoming an evil doer??

after becoming a wrongdoer??

after disobeying Allah deliberately??

after asking Allah for forgiveness and recieving it??

you honestly think that this decision to eat from that tree was not a mistake??

3) the events that followed DID do harm to Adam ..

20:117 (Asad) and thereupon We said: "O adam! Verily, this is a foe unto thee and thy wife: so let him not drive the two of you out of this garden and render thee unhappy.

leaving the gardens they were living in to live on earth is surely a downgrading event and painful.

2:34 (Asad) And when We told the angels, "Prostrate yourselves before adam!" -they all prostrated themselves, save Iblis, who refused and gloried in his arrogance: and thus he became one of those who deny the truth.

This was the first time iblis was exposed and the first time he had disobeyed Allah .. not when he made Adam disobey as well .. and for Allah everything that is, is exposed .. Allah knows everything, decides everything .. including our own levels of imam and hassanat and say2at.

as a conclusion: we can not say that because Allah has destined for Adam to make a mistake .. it is not a mistake .. Allah has destined for each and every mistake ever made .. and has destined Heaven for some and Hell for others .. does not make the mistakes of people going to Hell ok .. same as it does not make Adam as.gif having disobeyed Allah ok either ..

salam.gif

1) Allah intended for Adam to live on earth and intended for kafiroon to go to hell as well .. the same way like Allah intended for all sins that have been/are/will be committed by each and every sinner on earth. .. same way like Allah has intended for good people to go to heaven .. God has intended each mistake any human has ever made .. nothing can happen without God's intentions.

i think there is something faulty in your reasoning.you got something wrong somewhere.

if Adam committed a sin,one would expect Allah to punish adam.sending adam to earth was not a punishment.was it? so will adam go to hell?ofcourse you'd tell me he repented.then he has to go back to paradise.but Allah accepted adam and stationed him permanently on earth.

i dont see why Allah would make a plan which is not escapable,and then tell me it is a punishment.that clearly shows that adam was not punished by Allah.adam ought to have being punished.instead Allah got human trial started on earth and the viceregency of man commenced on earth upon adam's action.

2) Adam DID sin: sin = disobeying God's commandment ..

it would also be safe to say that adam's disobedience or which can better be translated to mean deferrence did not amount to a sin because the action committed is within what God intended and only got adam to start his earthly life.

i will not deny that adam did not follow Allah's guidance not to go near the tree.that can mean so many things.because no punishment followed shows Adam committed no sin.also Allah giving an instruction for adam not to go near the tree was to expose the exploits of shaytan.sura ta-ha verse 115 vindicates adam.adam's action was not purposely nor in a bid to be arrogant or challenge Allah.

3) the events that followed DID do harm to Adam ..

tell me just one harm.is it death?adam was vulnerable to die.we can see that based on shaytan's advice that if they eat from the tree they would be immortalized.that shows that adam was a mortal.to live on earth?earth was already created and waiting for adam.just give me one punishment.

20:117 (Asad) and thereupon We said: "O adam! Verily, this is a foe unto thee and thy wife: so let him not drive the two of you out of this garden and render thee unhappy.

leaving the gardens they were living in to live on earth is surely a downgrading event and painful.

2:34 (Asad) And when We told the angels, "Prostrate yourselves before adam!" -they all prostrated themselves, save Iblis, who refused and gloried in his arrogance: and thus he became one of those who deny the truth.

This was the first time iblis was exposed and the first time he had disobeyed Allah .. not when he made Adam disobey as well .. and for Allah everything that is, is exposed .. Allah knows everything, decides everything .. including our own levels of imam and hassanat and say2at.

adam was made to learn his first lesson.his first lesson was to know his enemy through a plan that was demonstrated.even when Allah questioned adam after he ate from the tree can be understood as rhetorical questions.the actions of adam where within a divine plan.there are lessons to be learnt from shaytan's deception.if you forget,ignore,or not pay heed to Allah,shaytan can come in and capitalize on the situation.also shaytan's aim was to get adam down.once adam was down his one to deceive starts.

as a conclusion: we can not say that because Allah has destined for Adam to make a mistake .. it is not a mistake .. Allah has destined for each and every mistake ever made .. and has destined Heaven for some and Hell for others .. does not make the mistakes of people going to Hell ok .. same as it does not make Adam as.gif having disobeyed Allah ok either ..

Allah did not destine any mistake or sin.you are rewarded based on your actions.ofcourse i also believe Allah knows best and He has the final say and He is just.as for adam being sinful,the Quran vindicates him:

surat Ta-Ha verse 115:

æóáóÞóÏۡ ÚóåöÏۡäóÇٓ Åöáóìٰٓ ÁóÇÏóãó ãöä ÞóÈۡáõ ÝóäóÓöìó æóáóãۡ äóÌöÏۡ áóåõ ۥ ÚóÒۡãð۬Ç

And indeed We made a covenant with Adam before, but he forgot, and We found on his part no firm will-power.

this is a lesson to tell everyone beware of shaytan and dont forget.always be alert!

after this incident which exposed shaytan,Allah would make sure that his prophets never forget again.therefore the whole plot and narrative was demonstrative to educate man.Allah would not hold us accountable if we forget or if we do something we are ignorant of.when you eat when fasting out of sincere forgetfulness,and then regain your senses,your fast continues.the above verse shows the sincerity of adam (as).

I MUST CORRECT MYSELF and CLEAR the Imam A.S. did not make a mistake it is the Arabic word successor also translated to Caliph witch is used in the holly Quran for Prophet Adam A.S. as Allah SWT's representative in the word the word dose not mean exactly what it means in English it is also stated in Sunni talks but it means a Caliph I.E. a representative or a leader for the Ummah, or a Lieutenant

Why do we copy everything the Prophet SAW did meaning the SUNNA if he made errors? Sunnis say he was infallible only in revelation but what about the SUNNA E.G sleeping, eating, talking, that means there are errors in the Sunnah and im sorry but this can not be the sunna and Prophets SAW revalations are perfect and can stand the test of time, and Allah Purrifys who he wills As He is Divine and can do as He wills

Why do we copy everything the Prophet SAW did meaning the SUNNA if he made errors? Sunnis say he was infallible only in revelation but what about the SUNNA E.G sleeping, eating, talking, that means there are errors in the Sunnah and im sorry but this can not be the sunna and Prophets SAW revalations are perfect and can stand the test of time, and Allah Purrifys who he wills As He is Divine and can do as He wills

Asalaam Un Alaikum

Prophet Adam did not commit a sin, because at that time Prophet adam was in heaven and religion started when Allah brought adam down to this earth.

So to say that he committed a sin is not right at all.

Asalaam Un Alaikum

Prophet Adam did not commit a sin, because at that time Prophet adam was in heaven and religion started when Allah brought adam down to this earth.

So to say that he committed a sin is not right at all.

EXACTLY ,HE DID NOT COMMIT A SIN,BUT HE ERRED. ERROR AND SIN ARE NOT THE same thing every sin is an error but every error is not sin.that is my point

100% infalliblity is the attribute of Allah

There is no such thing like infallible human beings...!! All prophets are sin-able and mistake-able but prophets are sinless.. But some prophets have done mistakes as mentioned in Holy Quran as well..!! After all, Prophets are also human beings..!!

It will help us greatly if we, first of all, study the

verses of the Qur’ãn about the creation of Adam, his

stay in Paradise, and his coming to the earth.

Chapter 2 (al-Baqarah) verses 30–39:

The Creation:

When your Lord said to the angels, “I am going to

place a vicegerent on the earth,” the angels said,

“Will You place on the earth the one who shall act

wickedly in it and shed blood; whereas we sing

Your praise and glorify You?” Allah said, “Surely

I know what you do not know.”

And [after creating Adam] Allah taught Adam all

the names. Then He presented those to the angels

and said, “Tell me the names of these if you are

true [in what your assumption that you are more

superior than Adam].” They said, “Glory be to

You! We have no knowledge except what You

have taught us. You are surely the All-Knowing,

the Wise.” [Then] He said, “O Adam! Tell them

the names of those [persons].” When Adam told

them those names, Allãh said [to the angels],

“Didn’t I say to you that I know the unseen things

of the heavens and the earth, and I know what you

manifest and what you hide.”

And [remember] when We said to the angels,

“Prostrate before Adam.” All of them prostrated

except Iblis, who refused and was haughty, and

[thus] he became one of the unbelievers.

In Paradise:

[After creating Hawwa}, We said, “O Adam,

Dwell you and your wife in the Garden and eat

from it [freely] as many [things] as you wish; but

do not approach this tree, otherwise you will

become one of the zalimeen ”. اَلظَّالِمِيْنَ

But the Shaytan made them slip ( اَزَلَّهُمَا ) from that

[Garden by luring them to eat the fruit of the

forbidden tree] and thus got them out from the

state [of felicity] in which they had been.

So We said [to Adam, Hawwa, and the Shaytan

that, “All of you] get down [from the Garden to

the earth] some of you being the enemies of the

other, and there is on the earth your abode and the

necessities [of life] for a [fixed period of] time.”

[Adam felt ashamed and intended to ask Allah’s

forgiveness.] So Adam learnt some words from his

Lord and Allah turned to him mercifully.

Surely He is the Most-Forgiving, the Merciful.

We said, “All of you get down from the Garden.

[Once you are on the earth], guidance will

certainly come to you from Me: whosoever

follows My guidance, there will be no fear for

them nor shall they grieve. But those who

disbelieve and reject Our revelation, they are the

inmates of the Fire, in it they shall abide.”

Chapter 7 (al-A‘râf) verses 19-25:

[Allah said,] “O Adam! Dwell you and your wife

in the Garden and eat from wherever you wish; but

do not approach this tree, otherwise you will

become one of the zalimeen ”.

Then the Shaytan instilled temptation into them so

as to reveal to them their private parts that were

hidden from them. He said, “Your Lord has only

prohibited you from this tree lest you both become

rulers, or lest you become immortals.” [To ensure

that his temptation will work, the Shaytan] swore

to them both that, “Truly, I am a sincere adviser

for you.” Thus he misled them by delusion.

So when they tasted [the fruit of] the tree, their

private parts became manifest to them, and both of

them started to cover themselves with the leaves of

the Garden. Their Lord called out to them, “Did I

not prohibit both of you from this tree and say to

you that the Shaytan is your open enemy?”

They said, “Our Lord! We have been unjust to

ourselves; and if You do not forgive us and

have mercy on us, we shall surely

be among the losers.”

Allah said, “Get down [to the earth], some of you

being the enemies of the others; and there is on the

earth your abode and necessities [of life] for a

time.” He said, “Therein you shall live, therein you

shall die, and from it you shall be raised [again].”

Chapter 20 (Ta Ha) verses 116-126:

And [remember] when We said to the angels,

“Prostrate before Adam,” all of them prostrated

except Iblis who refused and was haughty.

Therefore, We said, “O Adam! this [shaytan] is an

enemy to you and your wife. So do not let him

expel you from the Garden, otherwise you will be

uncomfortable in it [i.e., the Garden] you

shall neither be hungry nor naked, and you shall

neither be thirsty therein nor struck by the sun’s

rays.”

But the Shaytan instilled temptation to him by

saying, “O Adam! Shall I guide you to the tree of

immortality and a kingdom which will not

decline?” When [they] both ate of that tree, their

private parts became manifest to them and both of

them started to cover themselves with the leaves of

the Garden.

Adam disobeyed his Lord, and so he erred.

Then his Lord chose him, and then He

turned to him and guided him.

[Then] Allah said [to Shaytan and Adam], “You

both get down from this [Garden}, some of you

being the enemies of the other. [On the earth], a

guidance will certainly come to you from Me, and

then whosoever follows My guidance, he shall not

go astray nor will he be unhappy. But whosoever

turns away from My reminder, then he shall surely

have a wretched life and we shall resurrect him

blind.”

Review of Adam’s Story

1. According to the experts of Islamic

jurisprudence, the orders given by Allah are of two

types:

(a) Al-amr al-mawlawi- a legislative command.

Such orders must be implemented; and, if someone

disobeys such a command, then he is committing a sin

and is liable to be punished. For example, the

command to “say the daily prayers” or “do not eat the

pork” is of such nature. Neglecting the daily prayers or

eating of the pork is a sin and Allah can rightly punish

the sinner.

( Al-amr al-irshadi, an advisory command. Such

orders are of advisory nature; their purpose is to

inform the people about its consequences. However, if

someone disobeys such an order, then he is not

committing a sin; of course, he will have to face the

consequences of not following the advice. For

example, the command to “say bismillãh when you

slaughter the chicken” is of advisory nature. Now, if

someone slaughters the chicken and neglects the

saying of “bismillãh,” then has he committed a sin?

No, he has not committed a sin nor is he liable for a

punishment for not saying the “bismillãh” at that

time. However, he will lose the right to eat that

chicken; that chicken cannot be eaten by a Muslim.

Another example: a person comes to his doctor

complaining of cough. The doctor advises his patient

to drink a certain medicine, a cough syrup. Now if the

patient ignores that advice, then he is not committing a

sin or a crime; but he will surely suffer the

consequence — his illness will be prolonged and his

health might deteriorate.

Conclusion: not all commands of Allah are of

obligatory or prohibitive nature. The advice given to

Adam and Hawwa was not of the legislative nature. It

was not that that particular tree and its fruit themselves

were forbidden. The prohibition of going near that tree

and eating its fruit was al-amr al-irshãdi. And going

against such an order is not a sin; at most, the doer

will have to face the consequences of ignoring that

advice. In case of Adam and his wife, the consequence

they faced was cancellation of their tenure as guests of

Allah in the Paradise and its comforts. Remember that

they were not supposed to stay in the Paradise forever;

they were created for the earth, and their stay in the

Paradise was meant to be temporary.

2. The Garden/Paradise is not the place for test

and trial. It is this earth on which human beings have

been destined to go through test and trial by obeying

the commands of Allah. The concept of sinning in

case of human beings is connected to the worldly life.

In the story of Adam itself, Allah makes this point

clear when He orders Adam to go to the earth—He

said,

“You both get down from this [Garden], some of

you being the enemies of the other. [On the earth], a

guidance will certainly come to you from Me, and then

whosoever follows My guidance, he shall not go

astray nor will he be unhappy. But whosoever turns

away from My reminder, then he shall surely have a

wretched life and we shall resurrect him blind.”

(20:126)

The order given to Adam in Heaven is not same as

the orders given to human beings in this world—it is

disobedience of the orders given on this earth that

constitutes sin.

Finally, the Shaytan himself knows that he does

not have the power to mislead the prophets, the

messengers, and those who are graced with purity by

Almighty Himself. When he was given respite by

Allah, he declared the following:

“So I swear by Your

Might (O Lord) that I will surely mislead them all

together except the devoted servants of Your’s from

among them.” (38:82-3; 15:39-40)

And Allah responds to him by saying,

“…As for my servants, you

have no power over them except those who follow you

from among the misled people…” (15:41)

The Satan himself knew the limitation of his influence

upon the chosen servants of Allah in this world.

3. Those who believe that Adam committed a sin,

describe the eating of the forbidden fruit as the “sin”

and Adam’s expulsion from the heaven as the

“punishment”. However, this relationship between

the sin and its punishment is not valid because of

two reasons:

Firstly, Adam was destined to come to the earth

anyway. Allah had declared even before creating

Adam that “I want to place a vicegerent on the

earth.” So coming of Adam to the earth is not a

punishment; whether or not he ate the forbidden fruit,

Adam would have come to the earth anyway. So that

was not a punishment.

Secondly, if coming of Adam to the earth was a

“punishment” of eating the forbidden fruit, then he

should have been returned to the paradise after Allah

“forgave” him. Forgiveness means “cancelling the

punishment”—Adam should have been taken back to

the paradise. This did not happen, which proves that

Adam’s coming to the earth was not a “punishment”;

and eating was not a “sin”.

4. What about the words in the story Adam that

imply that he committed sin?

After studying the issue of infallibility from the

Qur’anic point of view, if we come across such words

we have to interpret them in a way that they are in

harmony with the other verses of the Qur’an. Now let

us look at three such words that have occurred in the

story of Adam.

First: the word “zalimeen اَلظَّالِمِيْنَ ” is from zulm .ظُلْمٌ

This word has four meanings: a] to put something in a

wrong place; b] to oppress; c] to make haste; and d]

to come to harm. We see that the last two meanings

of the word are in harmony with what we explained

about infallibility. For example, verse 2:35 would read like

this:

We said, “O Adam, Dwell you and your wife in

the Garden and eat from it [freely] as many

[things] as you wish; but do not approach this tree,

otherwise you will be one of those who put

themselves into harm.”

Here, “harm” would mean facing the difficulties of

the earthly life and losing the comforts of the

heaven.

or

“...otherwise, you will be one of those who make

haste.” Here, “making haste” would mean that

they were eventually to go to the earth but by

eating from the forbidden tree they hastened their

departure to a place where they will lose the

comforts of the Garden.

This meaning of the word zalimeen اَلظَّالِمِيْنَ is

supported by the next verse that says that the Shaytan

“got them out from the state [of comfort] in which

they had been.” Also the verse 20:117 supports this

interpretation: “O Adam! this [shaytan] is an enemy

to you and your wife. So do not let him expel you from

the Garden, otherwise you will be uncomfortable: in it

[i.e., the Garden] you shall neither be hungry nor

naked, and you shall neither be thirsty therein nor

struck by the sun’s rays.” In other words, here food,

clothing and shelter are readily provided for you; you

will lose these comforts on the earth. Here everything

is provided but there you will have to work for

yourselves.

Second: the word عَصَى means “disobeyed”. This

does not necessarily imply sin because disobedience

can be attributed to two types of commands: al-amr

al-mawlawi (a legislative command) or al-amr alirshãdi

(an advisory command). If a person goes

against the advisory command, then he has

“disobeyed” but not “sinned”. We have already

explained that commands of Allah do not always have

the force of obligation or prohibition. And, by keeping

in mind those verses which prove the infallibility, we have

no choice but to interpret this word as “disobeyed the

advisory command”.

Third: Similarly, the word غَوَى means “he erred”.

But this does not necessarily mean sin. It can easily be

applied to at-tarku ‘l-awla which is possible for a

prophet to do. At-tarku ‘l-awla ( اَلتَّرْكُ الأُوْلى ) means

“leaving the more appropriate behaviour”. “Adam

erred” would mean that even if the command of Allah

did not carry the force of legislative prohibition, still

Adam should have obeyed it. In disregarding the

advisory command of Allah, Adam is guilty not of a

sin but of not living up to the appropriate behaviour

which is expected from a prophet or messenger of

God.

5. If Adam did not commit a sin, then why does

Allah talk about repentance for Adam and

forgiveness from Himself, and uses so strong words as

الظالمين and عصى etc?

Firstly, When a prophet like Adam commits attarku

‘l-awla, it is quite appropriate for him to ask

Allah for pardon—not necessarily for a sin but for an

inappropriate behaviour. So “repenting” does not

necessarily mean that Adam must have committed a

sin; it is quite appropriate rather advisable even after

committing at-tarku ‘l-awla.

Secondly, the use of harsh words by Allah in

describing the story of Adam is acceptable by keeping

in mind the status of Adam. Although Adam did not

commit a sin, it was improper for him to adopt an

inappropriate behaviour. The people with high ranks

are expected to live by the standard that is higher than

that of the normal human beings. As the saying goes:

‘’the virtuous deeds of the pious are considered ‘sins’

by those who are nearest to God’’

Edited by fahimah18

HERE IS THE ANSER:

The Infallibility & the Qur’ãn 25

wretched life and we shall resurrect him blind.”

(20:126)

The order given to Adam in Heaven is not same as

the orders given to human beings in this world—it is

disobedience of the orders given on this earth that

constitutes sin.

Finally, the Shaytãn himself knows that he does

not have the power to mislead the prophets, the

messengers, and those who are graced with purity by

Almighty Himself. When he was given respite by

Allãh, he declared the following: “So I swear by Your

Might (O Lord) that I will surely mislead them all

together except the devoted servants of Your’s from

among them.” (38:82-3; 15:39-40) And Allãh

responds to him by saying, “…As for my servants, you

have no power over them except those who follow you

from among the misled people…” (15:41) The Satan

himself knew the limitation of his influence upon the

chosen servants of Allãh in this world.

3. Those who believe that Adam committed a sin,

describe the eating of the forbidden fruit as the “sin”

and Adam’s expulsion from the heaven as the

“punishment”. However, this relationship between

the sin and its punishment is not valid because of

two reasons:

Firstly, Adam was destined to come to the earth

anyway. Allãh had declared even before creating

Adam that “I want to place a vicegerent on the

earth.” So coming of Adam to the earth is not a

punishment; whether or not he ate the forbidden fruit,

Adam would have come to the earth anyway. So that

was not a punishment.

Secondly, if coming of Adam to the earth was a

“punishment” of eating the forbidden fruit, then he

should have been returned to the paradise after Allãh

“forgave” him. Forgiveness means “canceling the

punishment”—Adam should have been taken back to

26 S. M. Rizvi

the paradise. This did not happen, which proves that

Adam’s coming to the earth was not a “punishment”;

and eating was not a “sin”.

4. What about the words in the story Adam that

imply that he committed sin?

After studying the issue of ‘i¥mah from the

Qur’ãnic point of view, if we come across such words

we have to interpret them in a way that they are in

harmony with the other verses of the Qur’ãn. Now let

us look at three such words that have occurred in the

story of Adam.

First: the word “¨ãlimeen اَلظَّالِمِيْنَ ” is from ¨ulm .ظُلْمٌ

This word has four meanings: (a) to put something in a

wrong place; (b) to oppress; © to make haste; and (d)

to come to harm.10 We see that the last two meanings

of the word are in harmony with what we explained

about ‘i¥mah. For example, verse 2:35 would read like

this:

We said, “O Adam, Dwell you and your wife in

the Garden and eat from it [freely] as many

[things] as you wish; but do not approach this tree,

otherwise you will be one of those who put

themselves into harm.”

Here, “harm” would mean facing the difficulties of

the earthly life and losing the comforts of the

heaven.

or

“...otherwise, you will be one of those who make

haste.” Here, “making haste” would mean that

they were eventually to go to the earth but by

eating from the forbidden tree they hastened their

departure to a place where they will lose the

comforts of the Garden.

10 See al-Munjid, the famous Arabic dictionary that gives

following meanings to a¨-¨ulm:

الجور, وضع الشيء في غير موضعه, آل ما أعجلته عن أوانه,

The Infallibility & the Qur’ãn 27

This meaning of the word ¨ãlimeen اَلظَّالِمِيْنَ is

supported by the next verse that says that the Shaytan

“got them out from the state [of comfort] in which

they had been.” Also the verse 20:117 supports this

interpretation: “O Adam! this [shaytãn] is an enemy

to you and your wife. So do not let him expel you from

the Garden, otherwise you will be uncomfortable: in it

[i.e., the Garden] you shall neither be hungry nor

naked, and you shall neither be thirsty therein nor

struck by the sun’s rays.” In other words, here food,

clothing and shelter are readily provided for you; you

will lose these comforts on the earth. Here everything

is provided but there you will have to work for

yourselves.

Second: the word عَصَى means “disobeyed”. This

does not necessarily imply sin because disobedience

can be attributed to two types of commands: al-amr

al-mawlawi (a legislative command) or al-amr alirshãdi

(an advisory command). If a person goes

against the advisory command, then he has

“disobeyed” but not “sinned”. We have already

explained that commands of Allah do not always have

the force of obligation or prohibition. And, by keeping

in mind those verses which prove the ‘i¥mah, we have

no choice but to interpret this word as “disobeyed the

advisory command”.

Third: Similarly, the word غَوَى means “he erred”.

But this does not necessarily mean sin. It can easily be

applied to at-tarku ‘l-awla which is possible for a

prophet to do. At-tarku ‘l-awla ( اَلتَّرْكُ الأُوْلى ) means

“leaving the more appropriate behaviour”. “Adam

erred” would mean that even if the command of Allah

did not carry the force of legislative prohibition, still

Adam should have obeyed it. In disregarding the

advisory command of Allah, Adam is guilty not of a

sin but of not living up to the appropriate behaviour

28 S. M. Rizvi

which is expected from a prophet or messenger of

God.

5. If Adam did not commit a sin, then why does

Allãh talk about repentance for Adam and

forgiveness from Himself, and uses so strong words as

الظالمين and عصى etc?

Firstly, When a prophet like Adam commits attarku

‘l-awla, it is quite appropriate for him to ask

Allãh for pardon—not necessarily for a sin but for an

inappropriate behaviour. So “repenting” does not

necessarily mean that Adam must have committed a

sin; it is quite appropriate rather advisable even after

committing at-tarku ‘l-awla.

Secondly, the use of harsh words by Allah in

describing the story of Adam is acceptable by keeping

in mind the status of Adam. Although Adam did not

commit a sin, it was improper for him to adopt an

inappropriate behaviour. The people with high ranks

are expected to live by the standard that is higher than

that of the normal human beings. As the saying goes:

the virtuous deeds of the pious are considered ‘sins’

by those who are nearest to God — ¦asanâtu ’l-abrâr

sayyi’âtu ’l-muqarrabīn.

If Adam was infallible how could he have sinned?

Judging from what all have said on here, Adam has not sinned by eating off of a tree. He did not know what sinning and disobeying meant. Can you be punished for what you do not know? He was without the knowledge. Tell a child not to touch fire, because it'll burn them and it will hurt. I bet you they'll still touch it. Why? Because they do not know what burning and what hurting means. Is it a good thing or bad? If it's bad, why? Put a third wheel, someone who will motivate them to touch it and there you go- they'll touch the flame. Once they touch it, they'll experience the hurting and the burning sensation and they won't do it again. Likewise, once he's made the mistake he was made aware of its meaning. From then on any "disobedience" is a sin, because he now knows what disobedience is. Point is, you can't be punished for what you do not know. But this is what I got out of the conversation you all had on here, so I'm not sure if this is exactly the case. 

One thing I do know, imams and prophets have to be infallible. If I asked my teacher a question and he answered it wrong ( just one question!) next time I ask, I will double check with someone else to make sure it was right. So if this is a school teacher, how about a prophet? If I can't trust the prophet himself, who do I have to double check with? They have to be perfect in every aspect so we would trust them. They say they're the closest thing to God, so how can they be sinners? If the closest thing to God sins, can you blame me for sinning? Someone who hasn't heard from the prophets and imams directly, with blurred knowledge and sources of islam as well as being taught contradicting somewhat athiest theories/beliefs at school? They must be perfect, they must be infallible.

If Adam was destined for Earth, why was he punished?

I just read over the quranic verses just to make sure I haven't missed anything. No where does it say it was a punishment. He was just sent down with everyone else to dwell on earth till the time comes. 

As for God knowing all of our sins- he does. He knows who will go to hell and will enter paradise. Even so, he still places us on earth to take the test. Let's say you had an exam coming up, before you get the chance to sit it, your teacher grades your empty paper. How would you feel? If it's a good grade, you may not feel like you deserved it. If it's a bad grade you'd feel angry and question the fairness of the process. We are put on earth so it would seem more "fair" to our simplistic human minds. There will be no excues. You become fully responsible for actions you KNOW you have comitted. If you say you created me this way, I'm not responsible for my nature! You'd be wrong. Our souls are all born just as pure, we just choose to follow different paths. The environment we're born in may play a role in the way we act and the such, but this will probably be considered on Judgment day. It's like identical twins. They have the SAME genetic make up and are born into the SAME environment, but have you seen any twins that behave/act the same? I know I havent. It's because they choose to like different things and may choose to hang out with different people, choose to spend time in different places. It's all our choice. We make those choices and we're held responsible for them too. 

Edited by NoorA.95

On 29/03/2014 at 7:47 PM, yusur317 said:

If Adam was infallible how could he have sinned?

Judging from what all have said on here, Adam has not sinned by eating off of a tree. He did not know what sinning and disobeying meant. Can you be punished for what you do not know? He was without the knowledge. Tell a child not to touch fire, because it'll burn them and it will hurt. I bet you they'll still touch it. Why? Because they do not know what burning and what hurting means. Is it a good thing or bad? If it's bad, why? Put a third wheel, someone who will motivate them to touch it and there you go- they'll touch the flame. Once they touch it, they'll experience the hurting and the burning sensation and they won't do it again. Likewise, once he's made the mistake he was made aware of its meaning. From then on any "disobedience" is a sin, because he now knows what disobedience is. Point is, you can't be punished for what you do not know. But this is what I got out of the conversation you all had on here, so I'm not sure if this is exactly the case. 

One thing I do know, imams and prophets have to be infallible. If I asked my teacher a question and he answered it wrong ( just one question!) next time I ask, I will double check with someone else to make sure it was right. So if this is a school teacher, how about a prophet? If I can't trust the prophet himself, who do I have to double check with? They have to be perfect in every aspect so we would trust them. They say they're the closest thing to God, so how can they be sinners? If the closest thing to God sins, can you blame me for sinning? Someone who hasn't heard from the prophets and imams directly, with blurred knowledge and sources of islam as well as being taught contradicting somewhat athiest theories/beliefs at school? They must be perfect, they must be infallible.

If Adam was destined for Earth, why was he punished?

I just read over the quranic verses just to make sure I haven't missed anything. No where does it say it was a punishment. He was just sent down with everyone else to dwell on earth till the time comes. 

As for God knowing all of our sins- he does. He knows who will go to hell and will enter paradise. Even so, he still places us on earth to take the test. Let's say you had an exam coming up, before you get the chance to sit it, your teacher grades your empty paper. How would you feel? If it's a good grade, you may not feel like you deserved it. If it's a bad grade you'd feel angry and question the fairness of the process. We are put on earth so it would seem more "fair" to our simplistic human minds. There will be no excues. You become fully responsible for actions you KNOW you have comitted. If you say you created me this way, I'm not responsible for my nature! You'd be wrong. Our souls are all born just as pure, we just choose to follow different paths. The environment we're born in may play a role in the way we act and the such, but this will probably be considered on Judgment day. It's like identical twins. They have the SAME genetic make up and are born into the SAME environment, but have you seen any twins that behave/act the same? I know I havent. It's because they choose to like different things and may choose to hang out with different people, choose to spend time in different places. It's all our choice. We make those choices and we're held responsible for them too. 

Ma Shaa Allah sister.