Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
memento mori

How To Convert To A Shia Muslim?

Rate this topic

Salaam everyone,

I have a friend who currently follows sunnism but after taking a course at university that talked about "shia islam"....she has become interested in shia-ism and wants to know how she can start following the shia sector. I have already explained to her the basic things.....but I'm not good at explaining everything and considering that shias "kalma" is different than sunnis....would she have to recite that as well?....I was wondering how I should help her find everything she needs to know in order to start following the teachings of Ahlul-bayt....please help me out!!

All help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Salaam everyone,

I have a friend who currently follows sunnism but after taking a course at university that talked about "shia islam"....she has become interested in shia-ism and wants to know how she can start following the shia sector. I have already explained to her the basic things.....but I'm not good at explaining everything and considering that shias "kalma" is different than sunnis....would she have to recite that as well?....I was wondering how I should help her find everything she needs to know in order to start following the teachings of Ahlul-bayt....please help me out!!

Thanks!

no i don't think so shia or sunni is still islam

i think if she attends this comeing ashura comemarations and cries for imam Hussain (as) (any sincre person will), it is probably enough to warrant a conversion to shiasm.

Salam,

I am a little confused by the title of your thread. A wasn't aware that someone could "convert" to a Shia Muslim. If someone is a Muslim and they want to follow the teachings of the Prophet (a.s.) and his purified progeny (a.s.) this is progression (in their Muslim faith) not a conversion....is it not?

In regards to how you should approach such a person I would recommend listening to what they are asking for. In my experience, some non-Shia who are interested in learning more about Shi-ism want to learn about the differences between Sunni and Shia in regards to rituals and practices. On the other hand, some people are more philosophically oriented and want to know about the differences in regards to basic beliefs. Others don't care about the differences and just want a "primer". So it depends on the individual and what they are requesting/asking for.

So I would try to "nail them down" to specifics of what they want to know. Once you have that then finding the information is relatively easy these days and you probably only need a few links to overwhelm the person with good, useful reading material.

Salam,

I am a little confused by the title of your thread. A wasn't aware that someone could "convert" to a Shia Muslim. If someone is a Muslim and they want to follow the teachings of the Prophet (a.s.) and his purified progeny (a.s.) this is progression (in their Muslim faith) not a conversion....is it not?

In regards to how you should approach such a person I would recommend listening to what they are asking for. In my experience, some non-Shia who are interested in learning more about Shi-ism want to learn about the differences between Sunni and Shia in regards to rituals and practices. On the other hand, some people are more philosophically oriented and want to know about the differences in regards to basic beliefs. Others don't care about the differences and just want a "primer". So it depends on the individual and what they are requesting/asking for.

So I would try to "nail them down" to specifics of what they want to know. Once you have that then finding the information is relatively easy these days and you probably only need a few links to overwhelm the person with good, useful reading material.

I agree with this comment. The purpose of the recitation of Al-Fatiha in salat is to acknowledge that we are all progressing and improving as muslims, inshallah. I find the best way to approach the subject is to learn about the lives of the imams (as) and what they stood for. There's quite a lot of good information online.

Edited by shamoun

Converting from Sunni to Shia' is very easy. She has to believe in her heart with no doubt that Imam Ali (as) is the Divinely appointed successor of the Holy Prophet (pbuh).

Also that the Imams are Masoom (Infallible) and those basic fundamental beliefs she just needs to accept them.

Once she does. She is a Shia'! Because she is already a Muslim and has already proclaimed her Shahadatain. (Two Testimonies of Faith in Oneness of God and Prophet Muhammad being the last and final Messenger of Allah)

There is no conversion. The Kalam is the same. She doesn't have to go cry for Imam Hussain (as) either, that is a personal choice. However it is advisable she at least observe Ashura. Her adhaan is the same except she must omit ÇáÕáÇÉ ÎíÑ ãä Çáäæã Al-salatu khayru min an-nawm for Íí Úáì ÎíÑ ÇáÚãá Hayya- al Khair al amal, which was brought in by Umar. She also needs to recognize that Imam Ali (as) is the rightful successor after Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) and his Ahul Bayt (as). She also needs to believe in the Return of Nabi Isa (as) (apparently some Ahul Sunnah do not believe this) and the last Imam, Imam Mahdi (as) as this is very relevant to our time (or potentially relevant). Other then that, establish prayers, recite the Qur'an, and pay zakaat.

(salam)

...I was wondering how I should help her find everything she needs to know in order to start following the teachings of Ahlul-bayt....please help me out!!

Since she was a Sunni, then the first thing for her is to learn about Imams of ahlul bayt (all 12). It's best if you provide her with historical information about ahlul bayt. You also need to explain to her why we Shias stayed with ahlul bayt and not go with the Sahabas or Sunni Imams.

You can find a lot of stuffs on internet from Shia sites like www.al-islam.org

She can also participate on forums like ShiaChat.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Some of the hadith (English & Arabic) about the Ahlul Bayt AS that she might read are in the Talkhis.doc file of Post #1 and in Post #7 in this topic:

ASSALAM_O_ALIKUM

I WANT TO FOLLOW SHIAISM I ATTENTED SOME MAJALIS AND JULUS FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE WHICH ATTRACTED MY HEART TO SHIAISM . SHIACHAT WAS REFERED BY MY CLOSE FRIEND TO GET HELP FOR UNDERSTANDING IN BASIC IDEOLIGIES . AFTER SEARCHING A BIT ABOUT SHIAISM I CAME TO BELIVE THAT MWLA ALI (as) IS THE RIGHT SUCCESSOR . I NEED HELP FOR MY TEACHINGS ABOUT IDEOLIGIES AND ABOUT OFFERING PRAYERS AND MORE ABOUT MY COMMUNITY .... :)

ASSALAM_O_ALIKUM

I WANT TO FOLLOW SHIAISM I ATTENTED SOME MAJALIS AND JULUS FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE WHICH ATTRACTED MY HEART TO SHIAISM . SHIACHAT WAS REFERED BY MY CLOSE FRIEND TO GET HELP FOR UNDERSTANDING IN BASIC IDEOLIGIES . AFTER SEARCHING A BIT ABOUT SHIAISM I CAME TO BELIVE THAT MWLA ALI (as) IS THE RIGHT SUCCESSOR . I NEED HELP FOR MY TEACHINGS ABOUT IDEOLIGIES AND ABOUT OFFERING PRAYERS AND MORE ABOUT MY COMMUNITY .... :)

MashAllah, Welcome to the "straight path", if you have any questions feel free to start a thread up, make sure to check out the links in my signature they help alot!.....

One more thing brother, please dont use shiaism because it denotes separation from islam and the true islam is the path of the ahlulbayt, if anything just say Jafari (twelver) School of thought, or Shia Islam.

Edited by pureethics

Alsalam alikum,

Nothing, the marriage is still valid.

Yeah, progressing to Shia Islam is just that - progress. There's no official 'conversion' process, there are some additional things to learn (Ali a.s. was the 1st Imam/Caliph as successor to the Prophet, praying with hands by your side) and some to 'un-learn' (such as no bidah tarawih prayers in Ramzan).

Can some1 guide me wht a girl hv 2 do if she convert in shia 4m sunnism after marriage . husband also sunni . Does nikkah finishes

You can still remain married, but remember that the most important thing to consider in marriage is religion, and if your husband is a munafiqun then he should either come to the straight path your you should find someone is already on the right path.

ask her to make an account on these forums. She can ask questions to everyone in general ect

the kalima is the same. She just needs to accept Ali a.s. and the 12 Imams in terms of conversion.

Practically , there are new things i.e not folding arms, praying on earth ect

Edited by Rational Thinking

OP our kalima is the same as ahlul sunna. The ashadu ana aliyyan waliyullah is not something you have to say. If i were you I would start with giving her books on shia usool al-deen and history from the shiite perspective. If you need names of books let me know.

You can still remain married, but remember that the most important thing to consider in marriage is religion, and if your husband is a munafiqun then he should either come to the straight path your you should find someone is already on the right path.

She didn't say her husband was a munafiq, and it is comments like this that make people not want to post on this site.

She is looking for answers not insults.

On 11/8/2013 at 2:19 PM, Shahzina Majeed rajput said:

Asalamoalikum

I was born sunni but now I think shiaism is the correct path.I want to convert to shiaism can you please help me. I really need help.

Wa alaykum as salaam,

All you need to do is acknowledge the Wilayah (Guardianship) of God, His Messenger SA and the Ahl al-Bayt [a] and accept their (the Ahl al-Bayt's) Wilayah and authority over the Ummah after the Prophet's departure. You also need to acknowledge and accept that the 12th Imam is currently alive and living amongst us and that he is the Qa'im and Mahdi who will rise (from his occultation) when Allah SWT wills. Good start would be here: http://www.imamiyya.com/hadith/qiyam

You will also need to begin implementing our Fiqh into your daily life as we differ with the Madhab's of Ahlul Sunnah in many aspects of Jurisprudence but this can be something to work on over time, insha'Allah SWT.

Do you know the Imami (Shi'i) method of salaah? This would be the first thing I'd recommend you learn and work on. Let me know if you need help in this regard or any for other matter, bro.

Take care,

Fee amanillaah

you can tell her about 12 imams just others said and fateme-zahra or abbas (imam huossain's brother) and specially imam ali and imam sadegh...

i don't know that i am  sing suitable expression or not but: requital (oblation) of this worh has to be  a lot.....

in this way your information about islam can rise......

:-)

may god be with you.....

In order for you to become a Shia Muslim, you do not have to do anything special, if you are are already Muslim.  You should start praying in the same way as Shia Muslims are praying. That is to say, you should not fold your hands during prayers and you should make sure to prostrate on something which is allowable for sajdah such as a piece of clay, stone, or wood or leaves of tree or anything which is part of the earth. Sajdah on clothings and edibles is not allowed.  Sajdah on tiles, cement and marble slates is allowed. Moreover, you must believe in the Shia fundamentals of faith with your own insight and understanding. The Shia believe in five principles such as the Oneness of God, Prophethood of the Last Prophet (S), Resurrection, Divine Justice and Imamate. 

Please read books authored by prominent Shia scholars.

On 9/18/2016 at 5:22 AM, Jawid Akbari said:

In order for you to become a Shia Muslim, you do not have to do anything special, if you are are already Muslim.  You should start praying in the same way as Shia Muslims are praying. That is to say, you should not fold your hands during prayers and you should make sure to prostrate on something which is allowable for sajdah such as a piece of clay, stone, or wood or leaves of tree or anything which is part of the earth. Sajdah on clothings and edibles is not allowed.  Sajdah on tiles, cement and marble slates is allowed. Moreover, you must believe in the Shia fundamentals of faith with your own insight and understanding. The Shia believe in five principles such as the Oneness of God, Prophethood of the Last Prophet (S), Resurrection, Divine Justice and Imamate. 

Please read books authored by prominent Shia scholars.

What about someone who want to switch from deism to shiism ? Does he need to shahada in front of persons or he could say that only in his "mind" ?

6 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

What about someone who want to switch from deism to shiism ? Does he need to shahada in front of persons or he could say that only in his "mind" ?

just saying in mind is enough but by saying in front of others you can get support froam community too.

On 10/24/2010 at 4:31 AM, south-lebanon said:

no i don't think so shia or sunni is still islam

i think if she attends this comeing ashura comemarations and cries for imam Hussain (as) (any sincre person will), it is probably enough to warrant a conversion to shiasm.

A GEM of a reply on shiachat.com!!!

I did not expect it on this website to be honest that there will be somebody like you!

I salute you, This is such an important reply in the view of those who know.

10 hours ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

A GEM of a reply on shiachat.com!!!

I did not expect it on this website to be honest that there will be somebody like you!

I salute you, This is such an important reply in the view of those who know.

I dont agree at all with this answer. This is absolutely not at all enough to be a shia. Being shia is more complete that just crying for imam Hussein (as). If this person cries but dont recognize the wilayat of Ahl Hul Bayt (as) this person is not a shia.

58 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

I dont agree at all with this answer. This is absolutely not at all enough to be a shia. Being shia is more complete that just crying for imam Hussein (as). If this person cries but dont recognize the wilayat of Ahl Hul Bayt (as) this person is not a shia.

they are lovers even shias must have some qualifications to be named really shias.

1 hour ago, alidu78 said:

Brother

I respect your opinion and it is right to some extent however on the same time I would request you to ponder at 'Karbala' only for sometime. You will find many examples of those who did not even convert to Islam practically let alone accepting the wilayah or not yet Moula Hussain(asws) picked them on his(asws) way to Karbala and today we call those martyrs(asws) as 'asws'.

Aal(asws) e Mohammad(asws$ are the masters(asws) they pick whoever they want whenever and wherever. 

They are the Authority(asws) after Allah my dear.

Having said that I know your view point that many people cry in Muharram but are from other school of thoughts and do not accept wilayah I know I understand but even in them there might be some whom Imam(asws) would pick and there can be some who accept Wilayah(asws) but are in 'Taqqaiya'.

On 1/12/2013 at 1:03 PM, Ayuoobi said:

OP our kalima is the same as ahlul sunna. The ashadu ana aliyyan waliyullah is not something you have to say. If i were you I would start with giving her books on shia usool al-deen and history from the shiite perspective. If you need names of books let me know.

It is something you have to say, how can you not? When Ali alongside Muahmmed are the witnesses to God’s oneness? You cannot leave it out. You cannot include the rasool without including the wali. You cannot include the prophet without including the caliph. They are not mutually exclusive. Momins are determined by the fact that they truly believe in Imam Ali Wilayah. If you did then you would never leave out aliyunwaliyulla

This is irrefutable and not debatable for a true momin 

8 minutes ago, Ralvi said:

It is something you have to say, how can you not? When Ali alongside Muahmmed are the witnesses to God’s oneness? You cannot leave it out. You cannot include the rasool without including the wali. You cannot include the prophet without including the caliph. They are not mutually exclusive. Momins are determined by the fact that they truly believe in Imam Ali Wilayah. If you did then you would never leave out aliyunwaliyulla

This is irrefutable and not debatable for a true momin 

Totally agreed.