Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Significance of 12

Please Enlighten Me On This.

Rate this topic

salaam. This is my first day of joining this esteemed site and my very first forum, so please bear with me. my question is, i have been told since I was a kid about the incident when Umar disrespected Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) on his deathbed when he asked for a pen and paper. Just today it occurred to me that we were told that our prophet (pbuh) wasn't learned, he couldn't read or write. Then what was the purpose of asking for pen and paper if he couldn't write anything. Im not pointing fingers at any sect of Islam, I just wanted to clarify this for myself. any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

In fact , Rasulullah (saws) Could read and write ! :) ..... on the contrary, not only could he do that but he knew 70 something languages or more and so did his Holy Progeny (as) ..... !

it is due to , i would say ignorance in a lesser degree, but more due to the fact that i find that very useful and insightful narrations that are within shia texts and are hidden from sunnis .....

let me give you our tafseer of the the second verse of surah Jum'ah :

åõæó ÇáóøÐöí ÈóÚóËó Ýöí ÇáúÃõãöøíöøíäó ÑóÓõæáðÇ ãöäúåõãú íóÊúáõæ Úóáóíúåöãú ÂíóÇÊöåö æóíõÒóßöøíåöãú æóíõÚóáöøãõåõãõ ÇáúßöÊóÇÈó æóÇáúÍößúãóÉó æóÅöäú ßóÇäõæÇ ãöäú ÞóÈúáõ áóÝöí ÖóáóÇáò ãõÈöíäò {2}

[Pickthal 62:2] He it is Who hath sent among the unlettered ones a messenger of their own, to recite unto them His revelations and to make them grow, and to teach them the Scripture and wisdom, though heretofore they were indeed in error manifest,

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 62:2]

Refer to the commentary of Baqarah: 78; Ali Imran: 48 and 49 for the word "ummi" in connection with the Holy Prophet.

Yuzakkihim (purifies them) asserts the absolute purity of the Holy Prophet, because he who is thoroughly purified by Allah (see commentary of Ahzab: 33) can alone purify others. Among the thoroughly purified are he and his Ahl ul Bayt.

In verse 129 of Baqarah prophets Ibrahim and Ismail pray to the Lord:

"Raise up in them a messenger from among them who will recite to them your revelations, and teach them the book and the wisdom, and purify them."

In fulfilment Allah sent the Holy Prophet as a mercy unto the worlds to guide mankind. As stated in verse 164 of Ali Imran it was a divine grace and favour. Man does not favour the Holy Prophet by becoming a Muslim. In fact Allah has favoured man by showing him the way to belief (Hujurat: 17).

Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

As stated in the commentary of Baqarah: 78 the Holy Prophet did not receive tutoring from any mortal being. Allah taught him the "book and wisdom" (Rahman: 2 and Najm: 5).

The Quran lays stress on the word ummi to point out that the appearance of a prophet among the ummies in order to educate and purify the whole mankind is a miracle.

The Holy Prophet, by reciting the revelations, attracted the attention of men and women around him; then, by turning their thoughts and feelings from sensual pursuits to intellectual and spiritual activity, he purified their hearts and minds, after which he taught them the book and the wisdom in order that they might apply the guidance in their day to day life.

this is the website you can go on to refer to the other commentaries : http://quran.al-islam.org/

The Prophet (saws) was going to write that you should follow Ahlul Bayt (as) .... Umar said "the Quran is enough for us" ..... the thing is , when you split ahlul bayt (as) away from Quran , the Quran is nothing ....

and the irony is ..... Many a time , Umar said "O, if it wasn't for (the guidance of) Ali , i would have perished" ..... haha... so i'd love to ask Umar .... "what happened to 'Quran is enough for us'"? :D do you get my point?

I wish you guidance brother inshallah.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out on this issue. but now it brings about other points that were taught to me and almost the entire muslim world. When the revelations would come to the prophet (pbuh) through archangel Gabriel, he(PBUH) didn't write them down on a paper himself, but his companions would inscribe them on whatever they could find. and he (pbuh) would make them recite those verses from time to time, to confirm its sanctity and its genuineness. what was the need for that if he could read and write?

Was that a test for ummah? of did those verses imply that he received divine teachings not earthly languages?

thank you in advance.

In fact , Rasulullah (saws) Could read and write ! :) ..... on the contrary, not only could he do that but he knew 70 something languages or more and so did his Holy Progeny (as) ..... !

åõæó ÇáóøÐöí ÈóÚóËó Ýöí ÇáúÃõãöøíöøíäó ÑóÓõæáðÇ ãöäúåõãú íóÊúáõæ Úóáóíúåöãú ÂíóÇÊöåö æóíõÒóßöøíåöãú æóíõÚóáöøãõåõãõ ÇáúßöÊóÇÈó æóÇáúÍößúãóÉó æóÅöäú ßóÇäõæÇ ãöäú ÞóÈúáõ áóÝöí ÖóáóÇáò ãõÈöíäò {2}

[Pickthal 62:2] He it is Who hath sent among the unlettered ones a messenger of their own, to recite unto them His revelations and to make them grow, and to teach them the Scripture and wisdom, though heretofore they were indeed in error manifest,

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 62:2]

Refer to the commentary of Baqarah: 78; Ali Imran: 48 and 49 for the word "ummi" in connection with the Holy Prophet.

"Raise up in them a messenger from among them who will recite to them your revelations, and teach them the book and the wisdom, and purify them."

Aqa Mahdi Puya says:

As stated in the commentary of Baqarah: 78 the Holy Prophet did not receive tutoring from any mortal being. Allah taught him the "book and wisdom" (Rahman: 2 and Najm: 5).

The Quran lays stress on the word ummi to point out that the appearance of a prophet among the ummies in order to educate and purify the whole mankind is a miracle.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out on this issue. but now it brings about other points that were taught to me and almost the entire muslim world. When the revelations would come to the prophet (pbuh) through archangel Gabriel, he(PBUH) didn't write them down on a paper himself, but his companions would inscribe them on whatever they could find. and he (pbuh) would make them recite those verses from time to time, to confirm its sanctity and its genuineness. what was the need for that if he could read and write?

Was that a test for ummah? of did those verses imply that he received divine teachings not earthly languages?

thank you in advance.

Thats a good point but take this into consideration too:

1. Many hadiths have been fabricated , and so you have to get the hadith that says the companians inscribed them and look at the sanad of the hadith, who narrated it .

2. Even if the companians did inscribe , it makes sense.... since Rasulullah chose companians who would assist him in his propagation of this religion and also, Rasulullah is too high to do such a job , He just recite the verses that were inspired to him and the companians wrote them down, just as they wrote down hadiths of what the Prophet did, said etc

3. we havent seen what exactly happened 1400 years ago, so we have to rely on the correct history ......

brother, are you sunni, considering of becoming shia? the school of ahlul bayt is able to answer all your queries with logical answers and the quran is interpreted correctly through the ahlul bayt (as) ... so come to our school of thought , inshallah make a topic and send all your queries, brothers should be able to help you and me :)

^ I believe Imam Ali (as) wrote the Quran as a book after the death of the Prophet (pbuh). Otherwise, the Quran wouldn't be infallible.

brother, are you Sunni, considering of becoming shia? the school of ahlul bayt is able to answer all your queries with logical answers and the quran is interpreted correctly through the ahlul bayt (as) ... so come to our school of thought , inshallah make a topic and send all your queries, brothers should be able to help you and me :)

thank you brother, I am a shi'a, I was born a shi'a, from Afghanistan. but not having the comfort of a settled life due to political reasons, never allowed me to learn my religion as a child. Now im trying to learn as much as I can, and I thank people like you who are helping me attain it.

All this led to deep social conflicts, struggle and senseless, purposeless raids. The country in which this apostle grew up knew no form of government except that which tribal allegiances had dictated. The level of productive energy and the economic circumstances contributed nothing to distinguish the Hijaz from the most backward areas of the world at the time. Even reading and writing, which are the simplest rudiments of education, were rare in that environment, where society in general was an illiterate one.

It Is He who has sent to the unlettered people' an apostle from among themselves, reciting to them and teaching them the Book and wisdom, although they were before in manifest error. (Qur'an, 62:2)

The Prophet was, from this point of view, a typical person. He did not read or write before his apostleship, nor did he receive any formal or informal education.

You did not recite before it (the Qur'an) any other scriptures, nor did you inscribe it with your right hand; otherwise the falsifiers would surely have doubted. (Qur'an, 29:48)

The Message by

(Martyr) Mohammad Baqir as-Sadr.

http://www.al-islam.org/revealer/9.htm