Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Interested In Shia Islam.

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

salams,

I was raised Roman Catholic but embraced Islam as a Sunni at the age of sixteen...I devoted myself to study of Islam with the help of my imams but the whole time I was sheltered from the Shia side of things...until on my own I began reading about Imam Husain (as) and all that happened at Karbala...I have been moved to embrace the Shia perspective...but I am looking for a community. I am in Buffalo, NY...are there any Shias in this area? I am roughly two hours from Toronto and eight hours from NYC...I want to learn more about Shia and spend time surrounded in a Shia environment and eventually take part in muharram celebrations...I am also looking for resources, i.e. are there any means by which I can obtain a turba from Karbala?

I appreciate any and all replies.

thank you and salams

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Advanced Member
.I have been moved to embrace the Shia perspective...but I am looking for a community.  I am in Buffalo, NY...are there any Shias in this area?

(bismillah)

(salam)

Yes there are many Shia in Buffalo and there is an Islamic center in Medina, NY which is about 1/2 hr drive east of Buffalo. I was able to find phone number (716) 798-5029 for Shaikh Ali Rasheed. Let me know if it does not work as phone numbers may have changed.

Islamic Center of Medina

414 West Ave,

Medina, NY 14103

Tel : 716-798-9806

Also there is an Islamic center in Missisaga, ONT Canada which will be about 1 hr drive or so from you.

WS

Edited by Orion
  • Advanced Member

assalamu alaykum!

masha'Allah, bro, welcome.

Im about 175 miles north-east of you....not many shi'a here tho. (the 3 that ive met are wonderful!)

keep me posted on your search for a karabala turba....if you have no luck, ill send you mine!

fi aman illah wasalam, annie

Guest amirah85

(salam)

Masha'Allah brother you're story sounds very interesting, I am currently in Buffalo at the Univerity at Buffalo. I dont think there are any Shi'a masjids around here, but I do go the one Br. Orion mentioned in Medina, NY whenever I get the chance. I believe they still hold tafseer classes every sunday, you could check with Sheikh Ali Rasheed on that, Insha'Allah. It's an interesting masjid as well, pretty diverse.

And Rochester's only like an hour from Buffalo, if you get the chance you should check out http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?sh...showtopic=18935 , see Abbas I'll promote it, but there's no guarantee I'll go :P

wa salaam

Edited by amirah313
  • Advanced Member

thank you everyone for your kind words and help, I definitely got a lot out of it. I have been moved by my reading about the Shia but I am now more interested in contact with people.

one thing I am curious about is the practice of mataam. I want to participate someday but I do not know much about it. I really wish Muharram would come soon insha'Allah, I am eager to experience it.

• Advanced Member

Selam alaycom,

Mashalla, congratulations! Inshalla, Allah will increase your knowledge and guide you to the right path.

If you have actually declared shiasm, then you need to make 'taqlid' or follow a qualified jurist. www.al-islam.org/beliefs/practices/taqlid.html and www.al-islam.org/laws/taqlid.html

Once you have read up on this, you need to chose someone living to follow. Two of the most prominent marja' who have English versions of their laws online are: Sayyed Seestani (dt) http://www.najaf.org/English/HomePage/Index.htm and Sayed Ali Khamenaie (dt) http://www.wilayah.org/Eng/Default.htm

As well, you can search here at shiachat for how to pray. Besides using the turba, there is a slight difference in wudhu and prayer.

I suggest you read some of the following, which are scholarly works on shia vs sunni beliefs, well referenced using Quran and hadith:

The Right Path: Sayyid 'Abd al-Husayn Sharaf al-Din al-Musawi's discussion of the distinctions between Shia and Sunni Islam www.al-islam.org/murajaat

Then I Was Guided by Sayed Mohamed Tijani Smaoui : www.al-islam.org/guided (This author has other brilliant works as well: Ask Those Who Know and The Shia Are the Real Ahlul Sunna www.al-islam.org/real

Matim is a controversial subject. You will find sunni that believe it haram, and shia that tend to go a bit overboard or be extreme, however, I cannot describe the feeling you will get upon attending your first aza Hussein (as) (mourning for Hussein (as) ) Even if you don't understand what is being said, you will feel it. Realizing the importance of Imam Hussein's sacrifice will give you a whole new perspective on life. It will give you strength and make you realize how petty your troubles are. It will make you realize the necessity of justice and the prevalance of truth over falsehood, good over evil.

Also, there are many knowledgable brothers here, some converts or reverts, who will answer your questions and help you out.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any turbas from Kerbala right now, (I'll ask around, not many people have been going to Iraq lately) but I do have from Masshad, from Imam Ridha (as). If you would like, PM me your address and I will send for you. In the meantime, you can pray on anything made from earth that you don't wear or eat. Why prostrate on Kerbala's turba

Best wishes!

Peace,

Um Ali

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Allah humaaaaaa salli ala Muhammad wa AAli Muhammad wa Ajjil Farajahaum.

first and foremost, i would whole hearted like to congratulate you on your guidance, for choossing the right path-the right Religion. May Allah bless you and INshallah reward you.

Brother I, too, can send you some Turbas with your permission. New York and Michigan (where i live) are not far from each other. INshallah I can send you as many as you wish. :)

For all other informations, questions, concerns, please feel free to ask us and Inshallah we will try out best to help you.

wasalaaaaam

fi amanillah

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Mashallah thats very nice ayyub! Inshaallah you will be rewarded for your great decision. But remember taht once u walk on this path u have to be strong in Iman. Coz whoever walks on this path will face a lot of harships. But worry not, coz we Shias have 12 Imam(A.S), 14 Masomeens and 124000 Nabeeyeen to guide n support us. Inshallah will not go astray as long as we hold on the rope of Ahlul Bayt.

I'd like u something personal here ayyub, ofcourse u dont have to answer me if you dont wish to.

My question is what was the impact on ur family regarding ur decision to convert (perhaps i must use the word *revert* here) to Islam and that too a shia?? R u still welcomed like before or u do u experience any change in their attitude towards you??

take care & all the very best once again!

• Advanced Member

salams and thanks to everyone for your continued positive response and assistance...

my family has been nothing but positive towards my original acceptance of Islam in 1994. my mother was actually the one to drive me over an hour to the masjid for my first shahadah and many Friday trips after that. most non-Muslims I know really don't have the knowledge of Sunni/Shia for it to really make a difference which way I go in that regard.

btw, what are masomeens and nabeyeens?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

"nabeyeens" is the pleural of Nabi which means Prophet. So nabeyeens means Prophets.

"masomeens" is the pleural of Masoom which means infallible. So masomeens are the 14 infallibles i.e. Prophet of Islam pbuh and his Ahlul Bait (as) , (Imam Ali (as) , Lady Fatimah (SA) and 9 Imams in their progeny).

WS

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

"nabeyeens" is the pleural of Nabi which means Prophet. So nabeyeens means Prophets.

"masomeens" is the pleural of Masoom which means infallible. So masomeens are the 14 infallibles i.e. Prophet of Islam and his Ahlul Bait , (Imam Ali , Lady Fatimah (SA) and 9 Imams in their progeny).

WS

Well done brother Onion. Just a small correction, I think you meant to say that Imam Ali (as), Lady Fatimah (as), and 11 Imam in their progeny, not 9. :D

wasalaaaaam

fi amanillah

• 2 years later...
Guest Musulmano

(salam)

I know someone who is interested in learning Islam . what types of information do I give like the basics and then build it up if you get what I mean like I dont want to give information on Islam which is to difficult to accept when not even learnt the basic foundations, am I making any sense ??

basically any good Islamic sources for a beginner???

wss

• 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi,

I'm interested in converted to Islam; I've read a lot of the Qur'an and spoken to Muslims and find truth in Islam, also, there's loads of scientific proof in the Qur'an, for example, it backs up the big bang theory, implies that the universe is always expanding, predicts space exploration, explains the growth of a baby within the mothers womb, etc. It explains and states a lot of things that no one at that time would have had a clue about or even thought of, a lot of it has only recently been proven by science. This is another reason why I think Islam is the truth.

I'm interested in converting but I don't really know how to go about it, can someone explain the process to me and how to practice Islam?

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

I'm interested in converted to Islam; I've read a lot of the Qur'an and spoken to Muslims and find truth in Islam, also, there's loads of scientific proof in the Qur'an, for example, it backs up the big bang theory, implies that the universe is always expanding, predicts space exploration, explains the growth of a baby within the mothers womb, etc. It explains and states a lot of things that no one at that time would have had a clue about or even thought of, a lot of it has only recently been proven by science. This is another reason why I think Islam is the truth.

I'm interested in converting but I don't really know how to go about it, can someone explain the process to me and how to practice Islam?

Thanks for any help.

You swear allegience sincerely that there is only One God (or no god save the One God), and that Muhammad (peace be upon him and his household) is the Final Messenger:

La ilaha illalla, Muhammad ar-Rasoolullah.... Done

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Thats excellent man..Islam most definetly is the TRUTH. It most definetly is the perfect Religion.

The fact that are countless scientific facts in the Qur'an, the fact that Prophet Muhammed was prophesized in the Old & New Testament proves authenticity and diviness of Islam.

(salam) & One Love (salam)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

you have to say the Shahada infront of witnesses, and that makes you a Muslim. See your local Mosque for details-make sure a Shia Mosque. May God Bless you and Guide you throughout your life, and give you peace in this spiritual journey!

• Advanced Member

That's great! Welcome to Islam :) ,

Dont hesitate to ask any questions

well say your shahada first -la ilaha ila llah muhammad rasool Allah -

and then maybe someone could post a few sites that are beneficial to new converts on how to live their daily life as a muslim.

Id like to say also that there are alot of false information out there about Islam, So dont freak out if one day you read something horrible. Theres alot of people out there whose job is to spread false information in order to disgrace our religion. So just come and ask us about it and we will be more than happy to answer you and clarify anything you are suspicious about.

Alright we're all glad that you have found the right path,

you are blessed :)

peace be with you

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Congratulations. Becominga Muslims is very easy. You need to believe in your heart that There is no God except Allah swt and Prophet Muhamamd (pbuh) is his messenger.

You can also go to Islamic center for conversion as formallity. You will feel better if you do your conversion with Muslims at an Islamic center. It would be a memorable experience for you.

Edited by Zareen