Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

U.s. Preparing Massive Arms Deal For Saudi Arabia,

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

This reminds me when America helped The Taliban fight the war against the Russians . and know they are Arming the Whabis in Saudi Arabia to fight their dirty war against Iran .

When will this madness END . And America say they want peace in the EAST ... All lies.

My link

(wasalam)

• Forum Administrators

so a possible war on IRAN now !

They haven't taken delivery yet!

Seriously though. Personally I don't think there is any military significance to this, remember the Saudi involvement in the 1993 liberation of Kuwait was more for the photo ops than anything important.

Everyone knows that any Iranian attack on Saudi is more than likely to be met by an American response.

Nope IMHO this sale is more to do with subsidising US and Israeli purchases of arms.

Edited by Haji 2003

They haven't taken delivery yet!

Seriously though. Personally I don't think there is any military significance to this, remember the Saudi involvement in the 1993 liberation of Kuwait was more for the photo ops than anything important.

Everyone knows that any Iranian attack on Saudi is more than likely to be met by an American response.

Nope IMHO this sale is more to do with subsidising US and Israeli purchases of arms.

Agree with Hajj here, and I very much doubt the Saudi's would dare attack Iran. For all Saudi's bought advanced weaponry, I think they are well aware their army is still fairly cr@p.

Its more likely that Saudi is helping the US by buying lots of weapons now, to help the US secure jobs ( and possibly create some ) in the weapons manufacturing side, as the US economy could do with a bit of good news at the moment.

Edited by Irishman
  • Veteran Member

it is true that they are most likely buying these to help america out, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that since obama has been elected, america has been in various middle east countries stirring up iranophobia and as a result selling billions of dollars worth of weapons, if i remember right, saudi, israel and a few other countries even now have some kind of join defence shield of some sort.

the point is,you never know, america can't send ground troups in,but they can sit at home and bomb and bomb and bomb, then they have allies in the region have allies in the region that they can send in on the ground, and the saudi would like nothing better than to occupy iran

some news says lol that those weapons dont work , broken or outdated

silly and sad but this is very possible to happen , weapons deals this large and this unreasoable may make you think what was the true deal

this is what we knew from the past but some signals says that the region is preparing itself for some major changes , everything is calm , everyone is waiting , hope we keep waiting for as long as possible

• Veteran Member

It has nothing to do with Iran. It is all about fooling the Saudis. I hope Iran ignores the report on this deal!

The worst case is to empower Saudis and then support an anti-Shia movement in Iraq backed by Saudis; finally, install a Takfiri-Baathist puppet government in Baghdad. In that case, there will be many ways to bring down the Saudis and even limit their chances and influences further more.................................... From now on Iraqis must be alert on every move Saudis make, it is very important for them.

• Advanced Member

US to offer Saudi $60bn arms deal

The United States plans to offer Saudi Arabia $60 billion worth of hi-tech fighters and helicopters to help counter the threat posed by Iran, in the largest ever US arms deal, officials said yesterday.

A senior defence official said the US president Barack Obama's administration would formally notify Congress this week or next about the groundbreaking deal, which follows months of talks with the Saudis, who are increasingly anxious about Iran's missile arsenal.

"If you look at the kingdom, the major threat that they face in the region emanates from Iran," the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told reporters.

"And this gives them a whole host of defensive capabilities to defend the kingdom and deterrence capabilities."

US officials see the package as underscoring the strategic alliance between the two countries, despite serious strains over Middle East diplomacy and the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 attacks.

"The (Saudi) king sees this as very symbolic of the relationship we have with him and the kingdom," the official said.

In its notification to Congress, the administration will authorise the Saudis to buy as many as 84 new F-15 fighters and upgrade 70 more, as well as three types of helicopters – 70 Apaches, 72 Black Hawks and 36 Little Birds.

The package would also include HARM anti-radar missiles, more precision-guided JDAM bombs, Hellfire missiles and sophisticated displays mounted on fighter pilots' helmets.

document.write(''); Although previous arms sales to Saudi have often encountered strong opposition from Israel and its allies in the US Congress, the administration expected the deal to win approval and that Israel would not object to the sale.

"The Israelis I think are fairly comfortable that this configuration is not a threat to their qualitative, military edge," he said.

Israel will be getting a more advanced, "fifth generation" US fighter jet in the F-35.

Lawmakers would also likely support aircraft production that "involved" 77,000 jobs across the country, the official said, though it was unclear how many new jobs would be created by the deal.

Some congressional officials, however, said the deal would be subject to tough scrutiny by lawmakers and might be revised.

"You can fully expect that a hold will be placed on this deal," a senior congressional source.

A "hold" would come from the chair or ranking member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee or Senate Foreign Relations Committee, which typically must sign off on arms transfers, and could change what is in the package.

It remained unclear if the Saudis would opt to buy the entire $60 billion package or a lower number of aircraft, the defence official said.

"But in any world, this is an enormous arms package. In fact, the notification is the largest of its kind in history," he said.

The administration is also in talks with the kingdom about potential improvements to the country's naval fleet and missile-defenses, which could be worth tens of billions of dollars more, the official said.

The Saudis were looking at possibly buying littoral combat ships, with the naval talks at a more advanced stage than discussions on ballistic missile defenses, he said.

Top American officials, including the military chief of the US Missile Defense Agency, have been urging Saudi leaders to purchase Terminal High Altitude Area Defense systems, or THAAD, and to improve the country's Patriot missiles.

Earlier, media reports said that to assuage Israel's concerns, the Obama administration had decided not to offer Saudi Arabia so-called stand-off systems, which are advanced long-range weapons that can be attached to F-15s for use in offensive operations against land- and sea-based targets.

* AFP

IMHO :

Saudi's are lynchpins to the US and its allies namely the jews of Israel, Lebanon is their Lil' Paris and Syria has been shut up by avoiding them altogether, THE Gulf is more afraid to lose their luxury and will not afford to have the US as enemies while supporting IRAN is out of the question either..

The US needs a place to keep their arsenal without being watched by anyone and giving this storage placement a name of 'The Deal' will only help them to quitely place themselves on all sides to Iran:

Iraq

Afghanistan

Kuwait

Pakistan

Saudi

IRAN

Saudi

Saudi INDIA

UAE

Oman

Oman Sea

Hence when all areas are covered it - the US will attack .. its not a very soon to be deal, they plan ahead say next year or so or maybe 2012.. Iran has a lot of OIL & GAS and They in IRAN just cant be oppressed like the rest of the world

US to offer Saudi $60bn arms deal

The United States plans to offer Saudi Arabia $60 billion worth of hi-tech fighters and helicopters to help counter the threat posed by Iran, in the largest ever US arms deal, officials said yesterday.

A senior defence official said the US president Barack Obama's administration would formally notify Congress this week or next about the groundbreaking deal, which follows months of talks with the Saudis, who are increasingly anxious about Iran's missile arsenal.

"If you look at the kingdom, the major threat that they face in the region emanates from Iran," the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told reporters.

"And this gives them a whole host of defensive capabilities to defend the kingdom and deterrence capabilities."

Well the Saudi's needed to give a 'reason' to justify to its people to spend $60bn on US weapons. Likewise, the US did not want to tell its people, Saudi is bailing us out cause were broke. Iran was an obvious 'choice' to justify this sale. Saudi's are more than aware that equipment is only as good as the men who operate it, and the generals who command them and oversee war strategy, so I dont see Saudi ever attacking Iran on that basis.

Edited by Irishman
  • Forum Administrators

This story provides a good level of evidence of something else. People who are quick to criticise the level of press freedom in Iran should note that every single Western media outlet has carried this story along the following lines:

The deal to sell advanced military aircraft to the Saudi kingdom is aimed at shoring up an Arab ally against Iran, the Wall Street Journal reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11288683

The only outlet that I have seen which questions the accepted wisdom is Al Jazeera which reports in one of its blog pages that:

Saudi Arabia is about to buy another $60bn worth of military hardware from the US, and even The Guardian is dutiful in parroting, without question, the accepted western narrative

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2010/09/14/saudi-splurges-weapons-what

Al Jazeera is the only outlet I have seen which has taken the trouble to actually examine what the two countries militaries compare:

Ignoring the fact that miltary aircraft (which form the bulk of the deal as we know it) are prettty much useless against a nuclear missile, especially one that does not exist, $60bn buys a mind boggling amount of firepower, so that must mean that Saudi Arabia's military capacity right now is woefully insufficent compared to Iran's, right?

Er, no.

Saudi military spending already dwarfs Iran's by a factor of six. Indeed, by head of population, Saudi is the world's biggest purchaser of military hardware.

Global Firepower has a direct comparison of the two nations' military strengths, and it turns out that Iran's military is only superior in terms of manpower numbers.

So if Iran's intention is to send waves of soldiers marching across the desert, then maybe Saudi has something to fear.

But when it comes to "air-based weapons", Global Firepower puts the relative numbers (before this deal) at Saudi 453, Iran 84. (Bear in mind also that Iran's aircraft are widely described as museum pieces by military analysts, because the sanctions mean that Iran has no access to spare parts or modern technology).

Everyone else has simply parroted some "accepted wisdom", implicitly told their readers that such explanations are "good enough" and left it at that. So what are the magic words that should get readers to switch off their brains?

The BBC's formula is: bolster friendly Arab governments in the face of growing strategic threats from Iran. What are these strategic threats? They sound serious, but there's no explanation or justification. How is the proposed sale supposed to address these threats? No elements of the media are particularly keen to find out.

This is why I take exception to the usual suspects on this board whinging about Iranian press freedom or perceived lack thereof. We have supposedly the biggest arms sale in history and no one is willing to ask anything.

There is one silver lining in this otherwise very dark cloud. If you read the comments that follow the Al Jazeera story it is pretty clear that people in the Middle East know exactly what the game is and who stands to gain from all of this.

Edited by Haji 2003
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

I agree with people who said this has more to do with the US economy that the war effort. If President Obama doesn’t fix the economy soon, then he might not be “re-elected” for the second term. His numbers are not good. Most people think he has done nothing to help the American economy, healthcare, the housing market or the Iraq & Afghanistan wars. And this was his platform for 2008 election.

• Advanced Member

Well the Saudi's needed to give a 'reason' to justify to its people to spend $60bn on US weapons. Likewise, the US did not want to tell its people, Saudi is bailing us out cause were broke. Iran was an obvious 'choice' to justify this sale. Saudi's are more than aware that equipment is only as good as the men who operate it, and the generals who command them and oversee war strategy, so I dont see Saudi ever attacking Iran on that basis.

Just like the Kuwait dummy war 'invasion' by Iraq ... for the kuwaiti oil

i mean your spot on ... there is a word i am trying to find to describe this fashion of sales ....

anyways it reminds me of the movie 'mission Impossible 2'

"To create the ultimate hero you need the ultimate villian" - MI2 [The US needs its return on manufacturing costs, btw they are giving this old technology to the Arabs and the latest and most sophisticated one to ... guess who .... their brothers in arms - The Zionist Jews in Israel ... ]

here is the detailed version from FT . . .. . . . .. . .

Gulf states in $123bn US arms spree

By Roula Khalaf in London and James Drummond in Abu Dhabi

Published: September 20 2010 23:00 | Last updated: September 20 2010 23:00

The Arab states of the Gulf have embarked on one of the largest re-armament exercises in peacetime history, ordering US weapons worth some $123bn as they seek to counter Iran's military power.

A package of US arms worth more than $67bn for Saudi Arabia accounts for the largest single component of this military build-up, providing a huge boost to the American defence industry.

The first phase of this agreement – soon to go before the US Congress for approval – is estimated at about $30bn.

Anthony Cordesman, from the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, said that the US was aiming to achieve a "new post-Iraq war security structure that can secure the flow of energy exports to the global economy".

The arms sales would "reinforce the level of regional deterrence and help reduce the size of forces the US must deploy in the region".

78b061d0-c4e0-11df-9134-00144feab49a.jpgThe purchase of new weaponry comes at a time when many countries in the Middle East, home to two-thirds of the world's proven oil reserves, are alarmed by Iran's nuclear ambitions.

They also fear that any Israeli or US military strike on Iranian nuclear facilities could provoke retaliation against them, or disrupt the flow of oil through the Strait of Hormuz.

Saudi Arabia will receive 85 new F-15 jet fighters and another 70 will be upgraded. Boeing will be the principal supplier, allowing the US company to strengthen its ability to manufacture advanced military jets, an area where it has been slipping under competitive pressure. A successor agreement is expected to provide for the upgrade of radar and missile defence systems and an ambitious modernisation of the Saudi Navy's eastern fleet.

"The Saudi aim is to send a message especially to the Iranians – that we have complete aerial superiority over them," said a Saudi defence analyst.

Other US allies in the Gulf are also involved. Theodore Karasik, from the Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis in Dubai, said that the United Arab Emirates had signed contracts to buy military equipment worth $35bn-$40bn.

The UAE has received clearance to buy Thaad, a high altitude missile defence system being developed by Lockheed Martin. The UAE and Kuwait have each signed contracts for upgrades to their Patriot missile defence systems, developed by Raytheon, which cover lower levels of an air defence "curtain".

Elsewhere, Oman is expected to spend $12bn and Kuwait $7bn in the period until the end of 2014 on replacing and upgrading warplanes and new command and control systems, according to Blenheim Capital Partners, a consultancy that arranges offset deals. Oman's package will include 18 new F-16 jet fighters and upgrades for another 12. This will benefit Lockheed Martin, reinforcing its position as the leading US manufacturer of warplanes.

The total value of all US arms deals with Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Oman and Kuwait is estimated at $122.88bn over the next four years.

Grant Rogan, Blenheim's chief executive, said that Middle Eastern and south-east Asian countries had traditionally bought arms on a one-off basis. But now they were replacing western Europeans as some of the biggest regular arms purchasers. "They are the big buyers," he said.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. Print a single copy of this article for personal use. Contact us if you wish to print more to distribute to others.

Edited by Faris-Al-Hujjat
  • Forum Administrators

Last piece in the FT is by Roula Khalaf, I've seen her broadcast from Iran and she wears her headscarf somewhere around her navel, so you can tell what her stance on the ME is going to be.

In this instance she's just copied and pasted the standard press release, without showing any of the 'journalism' she supposedly wants to see in more totalitarian countries.

• Advanced Member

^ Haji Bro, She might even be a christian , you never know , she must be wearing the scarf as a must-wear thing in IRAN ..

than again why would FT get her .. its only because of her stringent stance towards the middle east and a very blushy one towards the west...

This is sad not for Iran but for the Saudi government, what I mean is to sell their souls to bed with the axis of evil (Amerika?) I don't think we need to worry because the "pretty Saudi Princes" don't want to loose their pretty silk robes and their posture for Amerika the Jinns puppet playground which I call "Babylon". Edited by YoosefAliHussein

I dont understand why saudis dont buy the russian top of the line SU's ?

The russians always transferred technology to india and may give the saudis a similar deal

I would assume that the russians would be more welcoming saudis to provide them SU's and the SA-300 denied to iran now ?

Why al-saudi ruling monarcy is such stupid and not sharp like india ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

i still say...

its an under the table dollar transfer to armrica...giving it a business arms deal just to cover up

Yes, that is the only interpretation that makes sense. There are mid-term elections coming up and the U.S. needs the money/jobs. The sales are being made at a time when countries such as the UK, are questioning their own need for arms that were designed for another era and for an enemy that no longer exists.

The other angle is that this is basically a subsidy for Israeli purchases - which also makes a lot of sense. Unlike the Muslim countries, the Israelis do actually use these weapons.

Stupid Al-Saud Slaves are throwing their money away into toilet ...

If they cant spend it on the reconstruction of Pakistan which has given all asked technology to its brothers

then they should atleast get a semiconductor plant like that of intel CPU, hard disks, etc. I am talking about the steppers and processing line etc to manufacture the chips.

perhaps some semiconductor processing equipment to make transistors, diodes, PSD's and so on.

EDITED

- including the ANTHRAX letters to TOM DASCHLE ...

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

This reminds me when America helped The Taliban fight the war against the Russians . and know they are Arming the Whabis in Saudi Arabia to fight their dirty war against Iran .

When will this madness END . And America say they want peace in the EAST ... All lies.

My link

(wasalam)

This is old. The Americans have always been allies with the Wahabi.

• 2 months later...