Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Help Understanding Hadith In Bukhari

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Sahih Bukhari Book 61(Virtues of the Quran), Volume 6, Number 503:

Narrated Abu `Uthman:

I was informed that Gabriel came to the Prophet while Um Salama was with him. Gabriel started talking (to the Prophet). Then the Prophet asked Um Salama, "Who is this?" She replied, "He is Dihya (al−Kalbi)." When Gabriel had left, Um Salama said, "By Allah, I did not take him for anybody other than him (i.e. Dihya) till I heard the sermon of the Prophet wherein he informed about the news of Gabriel." The subnarrator asked Abu `Uthman: From whom have you heard that? Abu `Uthman said: From Usama bin Zaid.

I have a few questions about this:

Can other people see the angel Gabriel when he comes to visit the Prophet (pbuh)?

Why does the Prophet (pbuh) ask Umm Salama who this is?

What was the reason for Gabriel to come as Dihya al Kalbi? Was it common for Gabriel to come disguised as other people?

Sahih Bukhari Book 61(Virtues of the Quran), Volume 6, Number 503:

Narrated Abu `Uthman:

I was informed that Gabriel came to the Prophet while Um Salama was with him. Gabriel started talking (to the Prophet). Then the Prophet asked Um Salama, "Who is this?" She replied, "He is Dihya (al−Kalbi)." When Gabriel had left, Um Salama said, "By Allah, I did not take him for anybody other than him (i.e. Dihya) till I heard the sermon of the Prophet wherein he informed about the news of Gabriel." The subnarrator asked Abu `Uthman: From whom have you heard that? Abu `Uthman said: From Usama bin Zaid.

I have a few questions about this:

Can other people see the angel Gabriel when he comes to visit the Prophet (pbuh)?

What was the reason for Gabriel to come as Dihya al Kalbi? Was it common for Gabriel to come disguised as other people?

Salam Alaikum brother,

Please ask these questions from a Muslim scholar or in a Islamic website not in shiachat.com.

Thanks,

• Veteran Member

Salam Alaikum brother,

Please ask these questions from a Muslim scholar or in a Islamic website not in shiachat.com.

Thanks,

since when is has that ever been the attitude of shiachat? i don't think i have ever heard anyone tell anyone to refer a question to an islamic website, especially when comes to a question about a sunni hadith. i think if you don't have anything positive to add, you should refrainfrom this type of response

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaikum brother,

Thanks,

Or how about you go ask for the brother., then share it with all of us. In the mean time everyone else will try to contribute to the best of their ability.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

(salam),

I'll tell you what I know.

Well Sunnis do have narrations of companions of the Prophet (pbuh) seeing angel Jibra'el (as). For example, they have a narration of Abdullah ibn Abbas (ra) seeing angel Jibra'el (as) too, who appeared in the form of a man.

So I'm guessing the answer to that is yes, which would ofcourse be by the Will of Allah (swt).

Perhaps to confirm that she did see a man standing there (since what the Prophet (pbuh) saw was not always what his companions saw).

wa (salam)

• Veteran Member

(salam),

I'll tell you what I know.

(wasalam)

Jazakallah khair for you response.

Well Sunnis do have narrations of companions of the Prophet (pbuh) seeing angel Jibra'el (as). For example, they have a narration of Abdullah ibn Abbas (ra) seeing angel Jibra'el (as) too, who appeared in the form of a man.

So I'm guessing the answer to that is yes, which would ofcourse be by the Will of Allah (swt).

Do you know if we have any such narrations?

• Advanced Member

We know that the angels came to Sodom in human form, and all people, pervs included, could see them. I think the way the prophets saw the angels and people see them in human form is different, i dont think its something that can be easily explained.

• Veteran Member

(salam),

Are you looking for narrations like these:

Sheikh Saduq narrated in Ilal Ash Sharaea' that Zaid Ibn Ali said:

"I heard Abu Abdullah (Imam Sadiq (A)) say:

"Fatima was called "Muhaddathah" because the angels descended from Heaven and called her as they called Maryam Bint Imran and said: "O Fatima! Allah hath chosen thee above the women of all nations.""

http://www.al-islam.org/gracious/17.htm

[Abu Muhammad al-Hasan b. Muhammad b. Yahya informed me: my grandfather (Yahya al-Hasan) toid me: Yaqub b. Yazid told us: Ibn Abi Umayr told us on the authority of Abd Allah b. al-Mughira, on the authority of Abu Ja'far al-Asha, on the authority of Abu Hamza al-Thumali, on the authority of Ali b. al-Husayn, peace be on them, who said:]

I (i.e. Ali b. al-Husayn) went out until I came to that wall and leaned against it. There was a man wearing two white garments who was looking at me directly in the face. Then he said: "Ali b. al-Husayn, why do I see you sorrowful and sad? Is your sorrow on account of the world, since God provides for both the pious and the profligate?"

"I am not sad on account of that though it is as you say," I replied.

"Is it on account of the next world, for it is a true promise that there conquering angels will give judgement?" he asked.

"I am not sad on account of that. though it is as you say," I answered.

"Then why are you sad?" he asked.

"I am fearful of the discord (caused) by Ibn al-Zubayr," I replied

He laughed and said: "Ali b. al-Husayn, have you ever seen anyone who trusted in God and God was not sufficient for him?"

"No," I replied.

"Ali b. al-Husayn," he said, "have you ever seen anyone who feared God without God saving him?"

"No," I replied.

"Ali b. al-Husayn," he asked, "have you ever seen anyone ask (for something) of God without God giving it to him?"

"No," I replied. Then I looked and suddenly there was no one here .

http://www.al-islam.org/masoom/bios/4thimam2.html

The second story here:

http://www.maaref-foundation.com/english/library/pro_ahl/general/ahl_al-bayt/30.htm

wa (salam)

• Veteran Member

Ali received sixteen wounds, four of which were so serious that he was falling down from his horse, but on each of these occasions a beautiful youth took hold of him, lifted him up to his saddle and soothed him with these encouraging words “Go on fighting, 0 hero! God and His Prophet appreciate thy services.” This was none other than Gabriel the Evangel, who praised Ali to the Prophet for his zeal and ardent devotion to him at the time when all others had deserted him. The Prophet told Gabriel “No wonder! Ali comes of me and I myself come of him,” i.e. both of us are part and parcel of one and the same Celestial Light;” whereupon Gabriel remarked that he also comes of both of them, i.e. he also was created from the same Light as Muhammad and Ali.

ref: Madarij-al-Nabowat; Ma’arij-al-Nabowat.