Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Moon Splitting, A Local Event?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(bismillah) (salam)

If the Moon split and if the Sun returned for Imam Ali [a], then why do we not have eye witness accounts of this form people other than those who were in the local area?

(bismillah)

(salam)

Any Saheeh hadeeth on this topic ?

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Anyone?

i have read somewhere that an indian monarch left the subcontinent after he saw the incident and then heard of the prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

you can also read about it on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_of_the_moon

in my own opinion,it is more convincing than not that this event did take place.you even get that understanding from reading the quranic verses:

The hour (of Judgment) is nigh, and the moon is cleft asunder. (1) But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say "This is (but) transient magic." (2) They reject (the warning) and follow their (own) lusts but every matter has its appointed time. (3) There have already come to them Recitals wherein there is (enough) to check (them),(holy Quran 54)

According to tafsir al-mizan by allamah tabatabaie,the event did take place.he explained that commentators have accepted that in consensus.he also says that the sequence of the verses do point to the fact that the verb ( و انشق القمر) is in the past-tense.therefore it cannot be used to prophecise a future event.supporting that this was a miracle,he pointed to the fact that the second verse used the word "ayah" to describe the event.

you can find more on the tafsir,over here:

http://www.holyquran.net/cgi-bin/almizan.pl

note :the allama extensively discussed those who alleged that the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) did not produce any miracle using surat al-israa verse 59 as evidence.mashaAllah he uses sound logic and argument and other quranic verses to show that verse 59 does not negate the fact that there were miracles produced.rather it was a timely warning for quraysh.indeed,the signs came but they still did not believe.so quraysh was punished.the allamah also cite that the quran describes the battle of badr as a punishment for quraysh.indeed the tafsir al-mizan is enlightening!

Edited by mehdi soldier
  • Forum Administrators

(salam)

This Sunni Muslim site has an article on the ahadith from Sahih Bukhari, a historical source, and a scientific source, that reference the splitting of the moon. It would be nice to see some ahadith from the Imams (as) about this event, though.

And to anyone here who has studied astronomy, can you confirm or deny whether the suggested fault line was from the Prophet's time or before that?

• Veteran Member

i have read somewhere that an indian monarch left the subcontinent after he saw the incident and then heard of the prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Did you happen to read it from a Muslim source? If this really was a global event it would be the most reported event in the whole of history. There is no way that this was a global event unless the whole world fell asleep/ looked away/ lost their memory or something else along those lines happened.

That can't be used as proof.

• Advanced Member

Did you happen to read it from a Muslim source? If this really was a global event it would be the most reported event in the whole of history. There is no way that this was a global event unless the whole world fell asleep/ looked away/ lost their memory or something else along those lines happened.

you can read about the source from here:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/moon_split.htm

Chakrawati Farmas, King of Malabar in India, WITNESSED the splitting of the moon!

The following link was given to me by brother Karim, who is one of the site's authors; may Allah Almighty always be pleased with him.

From http://www.cyberistan.org/islamic/farmas.html:

The incident relating to King Chakrawati Farmas is documented in an old manuscript in the India Office Library, London, which has reference number: Arabic, 2807, 152-173. It is quoted in the book “Muhammad Rasulullah,” by M. Hamidullah:

“There is a very old tradition in Malabar, South-West Coast of India, that Chakrawati Farmas, one of their kings, had observed the splitting of the moon, the celebrated miracle of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) at Mecca, and learning on inquiry that there was a prediction of the coming of a Messenger of God from Arabia, he appointed his son as regent and set out to meet him. He embraced Islam at the hand of the Prophet, and when returning home, at the direction of the Prophet, died at the port of Zafar, Yemen, where the tomb of the “Indian king” was piously visited for many centuries.”

The old manuscript in the 'India Office Library' contains several other details about King Chakrawati Farmas and his travel.

in the tafsir i presented the allamah discussed the issue of sighting the event in other parts of the world.i cant exactly recall his explanation.

and to be honest,i believe we muslims should start believing ourselves more often.i have also read something about the blood rain in the year of imam huassain's (as) matyrdom.this is mentioned in our hadith.a brother doubted the hadith and questioned sheikh abdul-hamid al-muhajir on the issue.the brother was only convinced about blood rain when he read from the "anglo-saxon chronicle" that there was blood rain in the year 685 AD/61 AH.

lets say other parts of the world did witness it.believe me,the kuffar will still not believe.scientists would then make up a theory that from every 1 billion year the moon would split.then they would accuse muslims of being ignorant and using a natural phenomenon to prove the veracity of the prophet (pbuh).as far as i am concerned,the quran does back up the issue.rather than it backing our story,they would use it to accuse us of dishonety.

also,i dont know you'd convinced by the moon's "rockey belt"/fault line-you can also read about that in the first web-link i presented of "answering-christianity.com" and below:

In one of Dr Zahglool Al-Najaar’s seminars, in one of the British Universities, he said: “The miracle of the plitting of the moon has been proven recently” … “One of the British brothers who is very concerned about the state of Islam “Dawood Musa” who is the chairman of the British Muslim Party said: “While he was searching for a religion, a friend gave him a copy of the Quran translated in english. He opened it and came across surat Al-Qamar and read “The hour has come and the moon has split”, looking at this he said “The moon was split?!” He then stopped reading and did not opened it again.

Then one day while watching a program on the BBC, the broadcaster was talking with three American scientists, and the broadcaster was blaming America for spending billions of dollars on space projects, in a time where millions of people are suffering from poverty.

Then the scientists were trying to explain why it is important to go into space exploration.

Soon the scientists came to discuss the most expensive trip to the moon, which costed about 100 billion dollars. So the broadcaster asked them “So to put the American flag on the moon you spent this much money?”

The scientists stated that this much money was spent because they were trying to study the internal structure of the moon to see what similarities it has with the Earth, and they said that they were surprised to find a “Belt of Rocks” that goes from the surface of the moon right to the inner depths.

Being quite surprised, they gave this information to their geologist, who were also surprised, as they concluded that this couldn’t be unless the moon was once split and resealed. The rocks on the belt are a result of the impact during the time that the two halves of the moon recombined.

Watching this brother Dawood Mussa jumped off his seat screaming “This is Muhammad’s miracle which occured more than 1400 years ago, and now the Americans are spending billions of money to prove it to the muslims. He than said, “This must surely be a true religion, and so, where once Surat Al-Qamar was a cause for him disbelieving in Islam, it was now the reason for his embracing Islam…

http://haqeema.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/tentang-bulan-bukti-kebesaran-Allah-dan-kebenaran-nabi-muhammad-s-a-w/

please let me know your thoughts,ideas and conclusion if any.

(salam)

In Majma'a al bayan Alamah Tabrisi (ra) Quotes a hadeeth from ibn Abbas, stating that a group of musrhriks came to the prophet and asked him to split them moon so they can see that his is truthful, the prophet asked them would they believe and they said yes so he split the moon in two, and he asked them to testify, and they did.

ÞÇá ÇÈä ÚÈÇÓ " ÇÌÊãÚ ÇáãÔÑßæä Åáì ÑÓæá Çááå Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã ÝÞÇáæÇ: Åä ßäÊ ÕÇÏÞÇð ÝÔÞø áäÇ ÇáÞãÑ ÝÑÞÊíä ÝÞÇá áåã ÑÓæá Çááå Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã: " Åä ÝÚáÊ ÊÄãäæä " ÞÇáæÇ: äÚã æßÇäÊ áíáÉ ÈÏÑ ÝÓÃá ÑÓæá Çááå Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã ÑÈå Ãä íÚØíå ãÇ ÞÇáæÇ ÝÇäÔÞ ÇáÞãÑ ÝÑÞÊíä æÑÓæá Çááå íäÇÏí: " íÇ ÝáÇä íÇ ÝáÇä ÇÔåÏæÇ " " æÞÇá ÇÈä ãÓÚæÏ " ÇäÔÞ ÇáÞãÑ Úáì ÚåÏ ÑÓæá Çááå Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã ÔÞÊíä ÝÞÇá áäÇ ÑÓæá Çááå Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã: " ÇÔåÏæÇ ÇÔåÏæÇ

Apparently the classical mufasiroon were of the opinion that the splitting of the moon took place and that it was one of the alamat (signs) of the prophethood of the last prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as per a hadeeth of Imam Sadiq, which I saw quoted in tafseer Qumi and Tafseer Safi.

• Advanced Member

you can read about the source from here:

in the tafsir i presented the allamah discussed the issue of sighting the event in other parts of the world.i cant exactly recall his explanation.

and to be honest,i believe we muslims should start believing ourselves more often.i have also read something about the blood rain in the year of imam huassain's (as) matyrdom.this is mentioned in our hadith.a brother doubted the hadith and questioned sheikh abdul-hamid al-muhajir on the issue.the brother was only convinced about blood rain when he read from the "anglo-saxon chronicle" that there was blood rain in the year 685 AD/61 AH.

lets say other parts of the world did witness it.believe me,the kuffar will still not believe.scientists would then make up a theory that from every 1 billion year the moon would split.then they would accuse muslims of being ignorant and using a natural phenomenon to prove the veracity of the prophet (pbuh).as far as i am concerned,the quran does back up the issue.rather than it backing our story,they would use it to accuse us of dishonety.

also,i dont know you'd convinced by the moon's "rockey belt"/fault line-you can also read about that in the first web-link i presented of "answering-christianity.com" and below:

please let me know your thoughts,ideas and conclusion if any.

(salam)

snopes.com is your friend.

• Veteran Member

In Majma'a al bayan Alamah Tabrisi (ra) Quotes a hadeeth from ibn Abbas, stating that a group of musrhriks came to the prophet and asked him to split them moon so they can see that his is truthful, the prophet asked them would they believe and they said yes so he split the moon in two, and he asked them to testify, and they did.

ÞÇá ÇÈä ÚÈÇÓ " ÇÌÊãÚ ÇáãÔÑßæä Åáì ÑÓæá Çááå Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã ÝÞÇáæÇ: Åä ßäÊ ÕÇÏÞÇð ÝÔÞø áäÇ ÇáÞãÑ ÝÑÞÊíä ÝÞÇá áåã ÑÓæá Çááå Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã: " Åä ÝÚáÊ ÊÄãäæä " ÞÇáæÇ: äÚã æßÇäÊ áíáÉ ÈÏÑ ÝÓÃá ÑÓæá Çááå Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã ÑÈå Ãä íÚØíå ãÇ ÞÇáæÇ ÝÇäÔÞ ÇáÞãÑ ÝÑÞÊíä æÑÓæá Çááå íäÇÏí: " íÇ ÝáÇä íÇ ÝáÇä ÇÔåÏæÇ " " æÞÇá ÇÈä ãÓÚæÏ " ÇäÔÞ ÇáÞãÑ Úáì ÚåÏ ÑÓæá Çááå Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã ÔÞÊíä ÝÞÇá áäÇ ÑÓæá Çááå Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã: " ÇÔåÏæÇ ÇÔåÏæÇ

Apparently the classical mufasiroon were of the opinion that the splitting of the moon took place and that it was one of the alamat (signs) of the prophethood of the last prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as per a hadeeth of Imam Sadiq, which I saw quoted in tafseer Qumi and Tafseer Safi.

Instead of actual splitting (which logically would have created a lot of reports from around the world if it's really happened), it could also be an illusion produced to the non-believers (just as the illusion of a snake appeared when someone wanted to harm the Prophet in 1 hadith)

If it's an illusion, some might say that it's a trick & deception. I'd disagree to that, because creating a mass illusion without any tools whatsoever was also a miracle

• Veteran Member

(salam)

The moon is not visible over the whole world at the same time. so the area would only be so much of an area that would have seen it, other factors as well like what time of night, how many people were even awake or looking up at the moon to take much notice and how long it lasted.

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

snopes.com is your friend.

that is too simplistic and ordinary.

at least tell us what dont you believe in what i said.i never heard of that site until i just checked with your reference.thanks for the info.

do you deny the account of the quran on the moon splitting? or are you refering to the blood rain? have you heard about it before and bother to investigate? what was your finding?

or are you refering to the description i gave on the attitude of the kuffar? what i said about the moon splitting i backed it up with links.if need be i would also back the blood rain.so go ahead and please tell us and enlighten us for Allah's sake.

• Advanced Member

that is too simplistic and ordinary.

at least tell us what dont you believe in what i said.i never heard of that site until i just checked with your reference.thanks for the info.

do you deny the account of the quran on the moon splitting? or are you refering to the blood rain? have you heard about it before and bother to investigate? what was your finding?

or are you refering to the description i gave on the attitude of the kuffar? what i said about the moon splitting i backed it up with links.if need be i would also back the blood rain.so go ahead and please tell us and enlighten us for Allah's sake.

You are generally uncritically passing along internet fairy tales as fact.

The moon belt story is not authentic. This was uncovered some time ago on this site, and you could have debunked the story with 5 minutes of internet research.

The Anglo Saxon chronicle claim was also found not to hold up here.

We expect non-Muslims to go to extraordinary effort to be media literacy in understanding us, but we unthinkingly pass along undigested anything we see on the internet or get in an email forward. It's sad.

• Advanced Member

Instead of actual splitting (which logically would have created a lot of reports from around the world if it's really happened), it could also be an illusion produced to the non-believers (just as the illusion of a snake appeared when someone wanted to harm the Prophet in 1 hadith)

If it's an illusion, some might say that it's a trick & deception. I'd disagree to that, because creating a mass illusion without any tools whatsoever was also a miracle

This is the reasonable explanation.

• Veteran Member

(salam)

This Sunni Muslim site has an article on the ahadith from Sahih Bukhari, a historical source, and a scientific source, that reference the splitting of the moon. It would be nice to see some ahadith from the Imams (as) about this event, though.

And to anyone here who has studied astronomy, can you confirm or deny whether the suggested fault line was from the Prophet's time or before that?

wasalam.gif

The moon's fault lines

split_moon_12202006.jpg

This is not a fault line but a rille, the Ariadaeus Rille which is one of the many rilles found on the lunar surface.

• Advanced Member

You are generally uncritically passing along internet fairy tales as fact.

The moon belt story is not authentic. This was uncovered some time ago on this site, and you could have debunked the story with 5 minutes of internet research.

The Anglo Saxon chronicle claim was also found not to hold up here.

We expect non-Muslims to go to extraordinary effort to be media literacy in understanding us, but we unthinkingly pass along undigested anything we see on the internet or get in an email forward. It's sad.

please brother,refer me with the links of the two stories and where they were debunked.

thanks.

This is the reasonable explanation.

brother,that is not reasonable at all for you to conclude that it was a "make-believe" that the Prophet (pbuh) did.that is not substantiated and there nothing,not a single account to back it up.this can best be described as the reaction of the qurayshi pagans who accused the Prophet (pbuh) of "magic".

the quran talks of splitting.in what you are saying i perceive a weak iman.you are indirectly accusing Allah (swt) of playing tricks with peoples' minds.

did ahlul bayt say anything about the moon splitting in sahih hadith?

you can read the tafsir al-mizan link i presented:

æ Ýí ÃãÇáí ÇáÔíΡ ÈÅÓäÇÏå Úä ÚÈíÏ Çááå Èä Úáí Úä ÇáÑÖÇ Úä ÂÈÇÆå Úä Úáí (Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã) ÞÇá: ÇäÔÞ ÇáÞãÑ ÈãßÉ ÝáÞÊíä ÝÞÇá ÑÓæá Çááå (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå æÓáã): ÇÔåÏæÇ ÇÔåÏæÇ.

ÃÞæá: æÑÏ ÇäÔÞÇÞ ÇáÞãÑ áÑÓæá Çááå (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå æÓáã) Ýí ÑæÇíÇÊ ÇáÔíÚÉ Úä ÃÆãÉ Ãåá ÇáÈíÊ (Úáíåã ÇáÓáÇã) ßËíÑÇ æ ÞÏ ÊÓáãå ãÍÏËæåã æ ÇáÚáãÇÁ ãä ÛíÑ ÊæÞÝ.

http://www.holyquran.net/cgi-bin/almizan.pl

• Advanced Member

ÓáÇã

Interesting topic. I think the most convincing explanation I've read was that provided by RottenCoconut. It makes complete sense to me that rather than the moon actually splitting (which would have been a much more widely covered event), those who requested it be split, saw what they came to witness and were convinced.

Now, my fiance is a PhD Student in Cognitive Psychology and I'm a Civil Engineer, so I admit that optical illusions, mind tricks and scientific explanations are going to be more convincing to me than others.

Isn't it widely known that David Copperfeld made the Statue of Liberty vanish in front of a live audience. He obviously didn't, but everyone there would swear left and right that it disappeared.

I'm not saying that miracles that the Prophets (Úáíåã ÇáÕáÇÉ æ ÇáÓáÇã) performed were deception, but it seems very illogical to me that God (ÓÈÍÇäå æ ÊÚÇáì) would have to break the physical laws that He himself placed to govern the events in the universe, just to convince a few idiots of the truth, especially when the Qur'an itself says that the universe itself is self-evident of the presence if God, when it's perfectly possible to make the event seem extremely real by manipulating people's perception!

If God needed to break the physical laws that govern the universe, then He has failed in his design of a creation which is in fact self-evident of His existence just the way it is! This is why I find it hard to believe that such events did in fact occur, when other very logical explanations exist, that maintain the perfection of God's creation of the physical laws.

Just my opinion!

Jon

• Veteran Member

If it is an illusion then does it not mean that the infallibles said an untruth (you can't say that the moon split if it was only an illusion)? It is quite possible that the moon actually split but only for some people.

I'm not saying that miracles that the Prophets (Úáíåã ÇáÕáÇÉ æ ÇáÓáÇã) performed were deception, but it seems very illogical to me that God (ÓÈÍÇäå æ ÊÚÇáì) would have to break the physical laws that He himself placed to govern the events in the universe, just to convince a few idiots of the truth, especially when the Qur'an itself says that the universe itself is self-evident of the presence if God, when it's perfectly possible to make the event seem extremely real by manipulating people's perception!

If God needed to break the physical laws that govern the universe, then He has failed in his design of a creation which is in fact self-evident of His existence just the way it is! This is why I find it hard to believe that such events did in fact occur, when other very logical explanations exist, that maintain the perfection of God's creation of the physical laws.

Miracles were needed to prove the prophethood of a person not to really prove the existence of Allah.

• Advanced Member

ÓáÇã

Interesting topic. I think the most convincing explanation I've read was that provided by RottenCoconut. It makes complete sense to me that rather than the moon actually splitting (which would have been a much more widely covered event), those who requested it be split, saw what they came to witness and were convinced.

Now, my fiance is a PhD Student in Cognitive Psychology and I'm a Civil Engineer, so I admit that optical illusions, mind tricks and scientific explanations are going to be more convincing to me than others.

Isn't it widely known that David Copperfeld made the Statue of Liberty vanish in front of a live audience. He obviously didn't, but everyone there would swear left and right that it disappeared.

Just my opinion!

Jon

brother,

this miracle was not performed or needed in order to prove the existence of Allah to those "idiots".it was performed to prove the truthfulness of the Prophet (pbuh).

denying/questioning this miracle and talking about physical laws and science is either degrading Allah's ability or doubting the importance of the Prophet and his truthfulness.

the quran is telling you the moon was split.here you are telling us it was made to look like a split.if it was made to look like a split,the quran would have stated that.remember the story of prophet Jesus (as)? the quran says they were made to believe he was crucified but infact was not! the quran could have said "we made you to see the moon was split was it was only made to appear unto to you".the quran doesnt say that.here today we have muslims talking about magic.the quran descibes magic as deception.the quraysh response to this miracle was that it was not real and it was magic.in other words the Prophet (pbuh) deceived their eyes.and here you are repeating the same thing as "logical" answer.

quran,history (of the indian king),and hadith say the story is true and it happened.science could also be used but am waiting for brother Kadhim's reply.because the story has not being widely reported by many people from different lands does not make it invalid.the moon is not see everywhere at the same time.also,how many people could have really watched or was looking at the moon when the even took place? how many was awake? and how many could have really reported the incident and was believed? if 10 people of one village did see it and reported it,they could as well have being accused of hallucination or witchcraft!also how could have recorded this event?how many of the records if any could have survived?

i believe this is a matter of faith.and the most important report can come from the people who witnessed it (not by chance) but because they were the intended audience.

the problem here is simple.the quran is plain in its language.people have a problem in the sense that they find it difficult to believe the miracle happened as stated.those talking of science and laws should know that all those are under the command of Allah and you dont know all about science and laws as much as Allah knows.

this miracle along the prophecy of the persian defeat by rome in sura ar-room has being counted among the signs of prophethood.

• Veteran Member

If it is an illusion then does it not mean that the infallibles said an untruth (you can't say that the moon split if it was only an illusion)? It is quite possible that the moon actually split but only for some people.

So far, it's either:

- The moon split was an illusion (altenatively, it could also be a sighting from some time in the future, maybe the apocalypse, where it's actually happened)

- The moon was actually split for everyone to see (of course, unless God made that only certain people could actually see it)

If we want to reconcile the truthfulness of an event, the locality of the event, & the use/purpose of event, the best scenario is God showed an image from the future when it's happened.

This way we can:

- Ascertain that the Prophet said the truth

- The event was definitely a local one

- The best way to achieve the goal without actually have to bend the natural laws on the global scale

• Advanced Member

So far, it's either:

- The moon split was an illusion (altenatively, it could also be a sighting from some time in the future, maybe the apocalypse, where it's actually happened)

- The moon was actually split for everyone to see (of course, unless God made that only certain people could actually see it)

If we want to reconcile the truthfulness of an event, the locality of the event, & the use/purpose of event, the best scenario is God showed an image from the future when it's happened.

This way we can:

- Ascertain that the Prophet said the truth

- The event was definitely a local one

- The best way to achieve the goal without actually have to bend the natural laws on the global scale

brother,

based on all that you have said,what is your opinion on the indian king who saw the event and is reported to have travelled all the way to meet the Prophet (pbuh), from the perspective of a global or regional scale,depending how far the moon was seen that night?

• Veteran Member

brother,

based on all that you have said,what is your opinion on the indian king who saw the event and is reported to have travelled all the way to meet the Prophet (pbuh), from the perspective of a global or regional scale,depending how far the moon was seen that night?

If it was a global event, it will be recorded in many more historical sources as undisputable fact, just like the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, not isolated or even solitary report like this.

Since it was a solitary report to claim such an extraordinary event, how do you even ascertain that this report is true?

• Advanced Member

(salam)

did ahlul bayt (as) say anything about the moon splitting in sahih hadith?

(wasalam)

(salam)

This event is mentioned in the Holy Quran in Surah al-Qamar

اقْتَرَبَتِ السَّاعَةُ وَانْشَقَّ الْقَمَرُ {1}

[shakir 54:1] The hour drew nigh and the moon did rend asunder.

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 54:1]

The reference is a famous miracle of the Holy Prophet, recorded in several authentic traditions of the companions, particularly of the Ahl ul Bayt whose evidence is always true, performed at the insistent demand of the pagans and the Jews. The Jews who saw this miracle became Muslims but Abu Jahl said: "This is magic continuous". It is written in the Book of Joshua 10: 13: "So the sun stood still and the moon halted until a nation had taken vengeance on its enemies." So the Jews and the Christians cannot deny the possibility of "divine adjustment" in the solar system.

Some commentators think that the past tense is used here for the future-the moon will be rent asunder at the approach of the resurrection. Firstly authentic traditions relate the cleaving asunder of the moon, secondly the observation "this is magic continuous" in verse 2 leaves no room for the speculation of the enemies of the Holy Prophet. Even the Qadiani commentators, who habitually deny miracles, accept the incident to have taken place.

I believe this incident did take place and it was not magic or illusion. Surah AlQamar verse 2

وَإِنْ يَرَوْا آيَةً يُعْرِضُوا وَيَقُولُوا سِحْرٌ مُسْتَمِرٌّ {2}

[shakir 54:2] And if they see a miracle they turn aside and say: Transient magic.

[Pickthal 54:2] And if they behold a portent they turn away and say: Prolonged illusion.

[Yusufali 54:2] But if they see a Sign, they turn away, and say, "This is (but) transient magic."

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 54:2] (see commentary for verse 1)

• Advanced Member

If it was a global event, it will be recorded in many more historical sources as undisputable fact, just like the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, not isolated or even solitary report like this.

Since it was a solitary report to claim such an extraordinary event, how do you even ascertain that this report is true?

the Quran is explicit enough to state that the event has taken place.

the eruption of a volcano is not the same as that of the moon splitting.when the volcano erupts for days you can call people and ask them to witness it.

but when the moon,a heavenly body miles away,splits in a matter of minutes if not seconds and you inform people,you are at risk of being accused of madness.even if a group of people see it,what guarantees are there it would be written?and if written,what guarantee are there the writing would survive centuries?

by question to you:which do you accept,the Quran or the "historical records"?

• Veteran Member

the Quran is explicit enough to state that the event has taken place.

the eruption of a volcano is not the same as that of the moon splitting.when the volcano erupts for days you can call people and ask them to witness it.

but when the moon,a heavenly body miles away,splits in a matter of minutes if not seconds and you inform people,you are at risk of being accused of madness.even if a group of people see it,what guarantees are there it would be written?and if written,what guarantee are there the writing would survive centuries?

by question to you:which do you accept,the Quran or the "historical records"?

There are 2 issues to be addressed:

- Was the moon split really occurred or was it an illusion or was it something else?

- If it was really occurred, was it a local event or not?

If it was not a local event, then A LOT of people would have witnessed this. Yes, if you were the only one you would have been accused as crazy, but if many people witnessed this, it would become a fact. If you see my reply to Muhammad Ali, there's other scenario to reconcile the fact & make the event as a local one.

So, in answering "was the moon really split", the answer is maybe it was or maybe it was a vision when it's actually happened & in answering "was it a local event or global", if it was happened, then it's more probable that it's a local one

• Advanced Member

There are 2 issues to be addressed:

- Was the moon split really occurred or was it an illusion or was it something else?

- If it was really occurred, was it a local event or not?

If it was not a local event, then A LOT of people would have witnessed this. Yes, if you were the only one you would have been accused as crazy, but if many people witnessed this, it would become a fact. If you see my reply to Muhammad Ali, there's other scenario to reconcile the fact & make the event as a local one.

So, in answering "was the moon really split", the answer is maybe it was or maybe it was a vision when it's actually happened & in answering "was it a local event or global", if it was happened, then it's more probable that it's a local one

i think it would be more appropriate if we apply the "maybe" attitude to why the even was not recorded.we can say "maybe" records did not survive.we can say "maybe" those who saw the event were accused of witch-craft and intimidated.and the "maybe's" can go on.

when it come to the question:did the event take place.if you are a muslim and does believe in the quran and read the hadiths that exist to this fact,then the answer is yes.

my question to you is how would you deny the event and say "maybe" it happened when the quran proves it?are you doubting the quran?

• Veteran Member

i think it would be more appropriate if we apply the "maybe" attitude to why the even was not recorded.we can say "maybe" records did not survive.we can say "maybe" those who saw the event were accused of witch-craft and intimidated.and the "maybe's" can go on.

when it come to the question:did the event take place.if you are a muslim and does believe in the quran and read the hadiths that exist to this fact,then the answer is yes.

my question to you is how would you deny the event and say "maybe" it happened when the quran proves it?are you doubting the quran?

I'm not doubting the Qur'an. I'm doubting that kind of interpretation of the Qur'an when there is other alternative like the one which I wrote which by the way better explains why there were no historical record whatsoever to this miraculous event.

Try to be consistent with your suggestion & apply the basic "maybe" attitude to the probable interpretations of this event:

- Maybe it wasn't a global event

- Maybe it was an image shown by God when the actual split occur in the future ("flashforward", if you may), so that's why it was a local event

- Maybe this was the better explanation since it's nearly impossible to have a global event like this without any historical record whatsoever when half of the earth which was at night experienced this

• Veteran Member

- Maybe this was the better explanation since it's nearly impossible to have a global event like this without any historical record whatsoever when half of the earth which was at night experienced this

Maybe it was cloudy all over the earth, except in Makkah :unsure:

Was it a full moon? It is possible for a new crescent moon to be seen by only some in a certain part of the world.

• Advanced Member

I'm not doubting the Qur'an. I'm doubting that kind of interpretation of the Qur'an when there is other alternative like the one which I wrote which by the way better explains why there were no historical record whatsoever to this miraculous event.

Try to be consistent with your suggestion & apply the basic "maybe" attitude to the probable interpretations of this event:

- Maybe it wasn't a global event

- Maybe it was an image shown by God when the actual split occur in the future ("flashforward", if you may), so that's why it was a local event

brother,

there is no alternative explanation to the obvious.the quran says the moon was split.do you believe that or not?very simple.

for the possibilities you presented that the entire earth could have being cloudy,i think we must first get things clear.

the night time in arabia extends from the longitude of Spain to that which nears indonesia (we are talking of the eastern hemisphere).and all that depends on the exact time of the event.it could have taken place at 8o'clock mecca time.that being the case,people in western europe would still be observing daylight and people in indonesia and australia or the far east would be sleeping.

the parts closest to arabia are the area which could have observed the event.the area could be starting from egypt and the middle east and up to india.we have a record of the event from india.as for other parts of the middle east,we dont.but who knows if the moon was indeed visible in those parts or in parts of northern europe that shares the same longitude with arabia.this i think needs to be studied scientifically to know if the possibility of the moon only appearing in arabia while it does not appear elsewhere.and maybe depending on the time,it could have also appeared elsewhere where people could have been sleeping.