Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
bi_ithnillaah

Consistent (sub)conscious Sexism On Sc

Rate this topic

(salam)

(bismillah)

but in defense to the brothers, its highlighted that calling sisters brothers is mostly accidental, i dint know about this myself till i read today's post that some people take it as an offence thinking it's done purposely..

Exactly! Sheesh! Don't have your hijaabs in a twist.

On behalf of all the men on Shiachat, I would like to extend a heartfelt apology to all the sisters who've been called brothers.

(salam)

out of all honesty, I don't even know why we have this thread. Everyone should know better not to be stuck in issues such as woman's rights, I thought Islam came to reform this, why haven't we progressed since then? whats the point? why is there still this sort of descrimination?

but in defense to the brothers, its highlighted that calling sisters brothers is mostly accidental, i dint know about this myself till i read today's post that some people take it as an offence thinking it's done purposely..

Khalaas. topic baand!

Erm I think the whole point of the thread was to show that guys subconsciously assume an intelligent poster is a male. No one's saying they do it purposely.

I personally don't think that is the case though. I've seen girls being referred to as "bro" even if their posts aren't particularly intelligent!

Erm I think the whole point of the thread was to show that guys subconsciously assume an intelligent poster is a male. No one's saying they do it purposely.

I personally don't think that is the case though. I've seen girls being referred to as "bro" even if their posts aren't particularly intelligent!

(bismillah)

(salam)

I agree to a certain extent. I say bro all the time. So I can see if it becomes habit for some people, that when they post they say these things.

Khalaas. topic baand!

(salam)

Edited by Abu Abdullaah

But as I described earlier, this is something that happens even when the gender of the poster is obvious and clear. So I think, without this reminder, many men would still first assume an intelligent poster is male even if there was a gender indicator right there on the post.

(salam)

I still feel it will solve the problem, I mean how hard is it to program?

(salam)

(bismillah)

I will answer this in a very Islaamic manner according to Qur'aan and Sunnah.

Why is there no assumption that it may be a female? Why male? Why is it only men who can hold intelligent discussions, especially on Islaam?

Because we are. Remember, "women are deficient in intellect".

Do you (men) realize how arrogant this makes you look? In your minds do you subconsciously, or even consciously, consider women to be inferior to you?

Women inferior to men? Yes. Duh!

===================

---

Because we are. Remember, "women are deficient in intellect".

So, do you think Sayyida Fatima(sa), Khadija (sa) and Zaynab(sa) have less intellect than Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman?

Instead of "a heartfelt apology," I would like to see your answer to Sister Zareen's question. Thanks.

(salam)

^ AlHamdulillah?

I really do think too much is read into females being addressed as brothers. What would one say about 'brothers' being addressed as 'sisters'? Okay, I can understand that someone looks at the user-name, NoorFatima or, YaZahra and subconsciously assumes that they are females because of the feminine names in there and NO masculine ism alongside whatsoever, but what about when a poster has this as the screen-name and he is consistently referred to as a 'sister' by (at least) one of the members on this forum? And the culprit is a person who knows Urdu and Ghulam is a masculine word in Urdu, Arabic, Persian and I don't know how many more languages. Huh??

Sister GhulameSayyeda, you are welcome for thanking me for the marked increase in the number of visits to your profile -_-

Tell me about it. I've been called 'sister' countless times. :dry:

I don't blame them for the confusion.

Luckily, nobody on this site has called me 'sister'... probably thanks to my full, thick mustache.

Edited by baradar_jackson

(salam)

I was away for 2 days and folks are already having new Avatars (maybe to appear more manly or girl?).

I think we should maybe.....drop addressing each other by Brother/Sister. :unsure: Just use our nickname. Problem solved?

i have addressed a sister as brother once i think, and a brother as sister,once i think. in the case of the sister, i wrote it without thinking and made a wrong assumption. as for the brother, his posts where so girly it was a legitimate mistake. sometimes, clicking on everyones name makes me feel like a stalker, so i don't always do it. as for why the mistake is made, speaking for myslef, i am not sexist, i have the utmost respect for women, but still, i guess its ingrained in there somewhere that men are more vocal in voicing forceful clever opinions, which obviously depends on the person, in person i don't speak that much, whilst many women never stop talking. i have always been of the opinion that the more you talk,the more rubbish you are likely to come out with (unless you have large amounts of knowledge and wisdom).