Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Gate of knowledge - Quiz

• Advanced Member

wasalam.gif

Habeel said to his brother Qabeel...

bismillah.gif

Al-Maeda

(The other) answered: Allah accepteth only from those who ward off (evil). (27) Even if thou stretch out thy hand against me to kill me, I shall not stretch out my hand against thee to kill thee, lo! I fear Allah, the Lord of the Worlds. (28) Lo! I would rather thou shouldst bear the punishment of the sin against me and thine own sin and become one of the owners of the fire. That is the reward of evil-doers. (29)

Q. What are lawh and Qalam?

(salam)

You got it! This is the verse I am looking for.

Have you guys noticed how beautiful this verse is?

BTW: We only have few more days to play this game. Please post your question here.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(salam) Bro Macisaac, He needs to pray Zuhr only. Because remember that he re-validate his wudu for Salat al- Asar. Let me elaborate. Only one of his wudu is void. Since he is confident that didn't br

Posted Images

• Advanced Member

^ I totally agree with you. Lets continue this quiz. I learned a lot from it. Dont want to stop this learning process for up to Ramazan. It was started on the month of Ramazan. From its barakah let it continue for rest of our lives inshallah.:)

The answer to Saraabs question :

The growth and development of the Muslim Ummah is marked by two great phases:

- The period in Makkah, before the Hijrah

- The period in Madinah, after the Hijrah.

The Makkan Phase

The Makkan phase of the revelation lasted about 13 years, from the first revelation up to the Hijrah.

This phase is determined by the prime task of the Prophet to call people to Islam. The main themes of this call, based on the Qur'anic revelation are

Allah and His unity (tawheed)

The coming resurrection and judgment

Righteous conduct

The role of the Prophet in this phase is in particular that of an announcer and warner.

The Madinan Phase

The Madinan phase lasted about 10 years, from the Hijrah to the death of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). While the basic themes of the Makkan phase remain, the factor of the Muslims' growing together into a community and the formation of the Ummah, now makes its presence clearly felt.

Makkan and Madinan Surahs

Surahs of the Qur'an have also been classified, according to their origin, into Makkan and Madinan surahs.

A surah is said to be of Makkan origin when its beginning was revealed in the Makkan phase, even if it contains verses from Madinah.

A surah is said to be of Madinan origin when its beginning was revealed in the Madinan phase, even if it has verses from the Makkan period in its text.

The following 85 surahs are, according to Az-Zarkashi, of Makkan origin:

96, 68, 73, 74, 111, 81, 87, 92, 89, 93, 94, 103, 100, 108, 102, 107, 109, 105, 113, 114, 112, 53, 80, 97, 91, 85, 95, 106, 101, 75, 104, 77, 50, 90, 86, 54, 38, 7, 72, 36, 25, 35, 19, 20, 56, 26, 27, 28, 17, 10, 11, 12, 15, 6, 37, 31, 34, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 51, 88, 18, 16, 71, 14, 21, 23, 32, 52, 67, 69, 70, 78, 79, 82, 84. (Az-Zarkashi 1:193)

There is a difference of opinion as to what was last revealed in Makkah. Some say, following Ibn `Abbas, that it was Surah 29 (Al-`Ankabut); others say Surah 23 (Al-Mu'minun); still others say Surah 83 (Al-Mutaffifun). Some believe that Surah 83 is actually Madinan.

The following 29 Surahs are, according to Az-Zarkashi, of Madinan origin:

2, 8, 3, 33, 60, 4, 99, 57, 47, 13, 55, 76, 65, 98, 59, 110, 24, 22, 63, 58, 49, 66, 61, 62, 64, 48, 9, 5. (Az-Zarkashi 1:194)

Some hold that Surah 1 (Al-Fatihah) is of Makkan, others that it is of Madinan, origin.

The Makkan surahs constitute about 11, and the Madinan about 19 juz' (parts) of the text.

From the above division it is obvious that the Madinan surahs are the longer ones and comprise a much larger part of the Qur'an.

Source(s):

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satel…

An easy one here:

The most disliked thing by the Allah though it is Halal is?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

^ I totally agree with you. Lets continue this quiz. I learned a lot from it. Dont want to stop this learning process for up to Ramazan. It was started on the month of Ramazan.

Don't forget to put the word Month in front of Ramadan. Please refer to one of my previous threads that is called "Ramadan - The Name of Allah," or refer to Brother Basim's answer to know why.

An easy one here:

The most disliked thing by the Allah though it is Halal is?

It is when a married couple divorces.

Rasoolollah (pbuh) said: Allah’s curse be upon your oppressors O _____.

Edited by Major Shia

^ I totally agree with you. Lets continue this quiz. I learned a lot from it. Dont want to stop this learning process for up to Ramazan. It was started on the month of Ramazan. From its barakah let it continue for rest of our lives inshallah.:)

The answer to Saraabs question :

The growth and development of the Muslim Ummah is marked by two great phases:

- The period in Makkah, before the Hijrah

- The period in Madinah, after the Hijrah.

The Makkan Phase

The Makkan phase of the revelation lasted about 13 years, from the first revelation up to the Hijrah.

This phase is determined by the prime task of the Prophet to call people to Islam. The main themes of this call, based on the Qur'anic revelation are

Allah and His unity (tawheed)

The coming resurrection and judgment

Righteous conduct

The role of the Prophet in this phase is in particular that of an announcer and warner.

The Madinan Phase

The Madinan phase lasted about 10 years, from the Hijrah to the death of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). While the basic themes of the Makkan phase remain, the factor of the Muslims' growing together into a community and the formation of the Ummah, now makes its presence clearly felt.

Makkan and Madinan Surahs

Surahs of the Qur'an have also been classified, according to their origin, into Makkan and Madinan surahs.

A surah is said to be of Makkan origin when its beginning was revealed in the Makkan phase, even if it contains verses from Madinah.

A surah is said to be of Madinan origin when its beginning was revealed in the Madinan phase, even if it has verses from the Makkan period in its text.

The following 85 surahs are, according to Az-Zarkashi, of Makkan origin:

96, 68, 73, 74, 111, 81, 87, 92, 89, 93, 94, 103, 100, 108, 102, 107, 109, 105, 113, 114, 112, 53, 80, 97, 91, 85, 95, 106, 101, 75, 104, 77, 50, 90, 86, 54, 38, 7, 72, 36, 25, 35, 19, 20, 56, 26, 27, 28, 17, 10, 11, 12, 15, 6, 37, 31, 34, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 51, 88, 18, 16, 71, 14, 21, 23, 32, 52, 67, 69, 70, 78, 79, 82, 84. (Az-Zarkashi 1:193)

There is a difference of opinion as to what was last revealed in Makkah. Some say, following Ibn `Abbas, that it was Surah 29 (Al-`Ankabut); others say Surah 23 (Al-Mu'minun); still others say Surah 83 (Al-Mutaffifun). Some believe that Surah 83 is actually Madinan.

The following 29 Surahs are, according to Az-Zarkashi, of Madinan origin:

2, 8, 3, 33, 60, 4, 99, 57, 47, 13, 55, 76, 65, 98, 59, 110, 24, 22, 63, 58, 49, 66, 61, 62, 64, 48, 9, 5. (Az-Zarkashi 1:194)

Some hold that Surah 1 (Al-Fatihah) is of Makkan, others that it is of Madinan, origin.

The Makkan surahs constitute about 11, and the Madinan about 19 juz' (parts) of the text.

From the above division it is obvious that the Madinan surahs are the longer ones and comprise a much larger part of the Qur'an.

Source(s):

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satel…

Ur answer is correct. U've done a great job with adding extra information to ur answer. I wasn't sure how a surah containing both medanian and Mekkain verses was classified. But thanx to you, now I do :)

I think u forgot to answer the second part of the question, "the difference between a Mekkian and a Medanian surah/verse". Other than the location it was revealed in, how can you classify a surah/verse as either Mekkia or Medania?

• Veteran Member

That was really interesting to know.

As for the answer I am not sure what you mean? Do you mean literal meaning of lawh and qalam? which is sheet(slab) and pen.

If its correct then any one can proceed with their question.

Shaykh Saduq qas.gif says in Chapter 12 of his book al I'tiqadat

"Our belief concerning the Tablet (lawh) and the Pen (qalam) is that they are two angels."

I think u forgot to answer the second part of the question, "the difference between a Mekkian and a Medanian surah/verse". Other than the location it was revealed in, how can you classify a surah/verse as either Mekkia or Medania?

The chapters revealed in Mekkah dealt with issue of faith such as Tawheed, Nabuwat, Qiyamah etc. Whereas the Medanian surah explained the Sharia and practices such as Salat, fasting, zakat etc.

Edited by doobybrother
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

You are welcome Major Shia. And I agree that we can keep this thread running way past the Month of Ramadhan. All of us are learning so much from the Holy Quran and the history. And we should keep this thread running. It even encourages us to pickup and opens the Holy Quran. So why do we want to shut down this thread?

Post away!

• Advanced Member

I agree with Zareen. I suggest this thread should be pinned and renamed.

Anyways, don't forget to answer my question!

Rasoolollah (as) said: Allah’s curse be upon your oppressors O _____.

Edited by Major Shia
  • Advanced Member

I agree with Zareen. I suggest this thread should be pinned and renamed.

Anyways, don't forget to answer my question!

Rasoolollah (as) said: Allah’s curse be upon your oppressors O _____.

(salam)

Fatima (sa) :cry:

Q: What is the link between 4 witnesses in adultery and muta?

• Advanced Member

11 pages. I'm impressed. ;)

Sorry If I butted in. :o

I just saw the Muta thing. Come on people.. Muta? Ew. The link between Adultery and Muta is that they are both forbidden in Islam.

• Veteran Member

(salam)

No answers correct yet, should I tell? Hint: It's a hadith from Imam Sadiq (as)

Imam Jafar Sadiq (as) was asked: "Why is it that four witnesses are necessary [for proof to be established] in cases of adultery, but two are sufficient in the case of murder?" He replied: "God made Mut'a permissible for you, but He knew that you would not approve of it. So He made the witnesses to number four as a protection for you. If it were not for that, it would be brought against you [that you are committing fornication, whereas you are in fact practicing Mut'a]. But seldom do four witnesses come together on a single matter."

-Wasa'il al-Shia, vol.14, pg.439

Q. Name the companion of Imam Jafar Sadiq (as) who was famous for his debates?

Edited by doobybrother
  • Veteran Member

^(salam),

While Imam Sadiq (as) had a lot of companions, he trusted in the ability of very few to debate others. Hence, he gave permission to very few of his companions to debate others on matters of religion. The ones I know of are:

Aban Ibnn Taghlub

Abid al- Rahman Ibn al- Hajjaj

Mu'min al- Taq

Hisham Ibn al- Hakam

Hisham Ibn Salim

I believe Hisham ibn al Hakam is the one you're looking for, since he was the most famous. :)

Which days are known as the days of Tashriq?

wa (salam)

• Advanced Member

Three days from 11th,12th,13th Dhul-Hijjah (Ayyaam at-tashreeq at Mina)

After performing tawaf al-ifadhah on the day of sacrifice (the 10th), the pilgrim should return to Mina to spend the nights that precede the three days of tashreeq, or at least two of the nights for those who plan to leave after two days. This in accordance with the words of Allah, the exalted.

"And remember Allah during [specific] numbered days. Then whoever hastens [his departure] in two days - there is no sin upon him; and whoever delays [until the third] - there is no sin upon him - for him who fears Allah. And fear Allah and know that unto Him you will be returned." (2:203)

On these three days stone the three pillars any time after the Dhuhr adhan - first the small, then the medium and finally the large one.

After the stoning of the pillars it is sunnah to stand following the stoning of each of the small and medium pillars, face the Qiblah, raise his hands and supplicate with any duaa that comes to mind. However after the stoning of the large pillar one should not stop and supplicate.

Stay overnight at Mina.

Whoever intends to hasten his departure after two days should stone the three pillars soon on the second day. Then he should leave Mina before sunset. If the sun sets and he is still in Mina, he should remain and spend a third night there, performing stoning the following day.

I got it from sunni site though ..dont know how much of it it true for us. :unsure:

Now my question :

Which Sura was revealed twice?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

List all the names of the prophets that were mentioned in the Quran

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the list:

Adam

Idris (Enoch)

Nuh (Noah)

Hud

Saleh

Ibrahim (Abraham)

Isma'il (Ishmael)

Ishaq (Isaac)

Lut (Lot)

Ya'qub (Jacob)

Yousef (Joseph)

Shu'aib

Ayyub (Job)

Musa (Moses)

Harun (Aaron)

Dhu'l-kifl (Ezekiel)

Dawud (David)

Sulaiman (Solomon)

Ilias (Elias)

Al-Yasa (Elisha)

Yunus (Jonah)

Zakariyya (Zechariah)

Yahya (John)

'Isa (Jesus)

Muhammad (pbuh)

It didn't allow me to put (as) after every name of the prophets because it went over the emotion limit.

What does the word 'shia' mean?

Edited by Major Shia

Eid Mubaarak everyone ^_^

I pray that Allah accepts the best of ur deeds and reward u all khair inshallah.

(salam)

What name do you think is appropriate for this topic (beyond Ramadhan)?

I'm glad that we're going to continue with this quiz, I think "Beyond the Month of Ramadhan: The Islamic Trivia" or something like that would be good for a new title?

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I don't like the word "trivia". Can we replace it with something else?

In the dictionary - trivia is defined as

- triviality: something of small importance

- insignificant trifles of little importance, especially items of unimportant information; A quiz game that involves obscure facts

(bismillah)

What does the word 'shia' mean?

The term "shia" means being part of a specific group, i.e. a follower/member. It has been mentioned a number of times throughout the holy Qura'an.

E.g. (37:æóÅöäøó ãöä ÔöíÚóÊöåö áÅÈúÑóåöíãó (83)

"And most surely Abraham was among the Shia of him (i.e., Noah)" (Quran 37:83)

Next Question: Complete the missing part of Imam Ali's a.s. great hadeeth regarding Eid.

-----------------------------------------------, is a Eid day.

(salam)

I don't like the word "trivia". Can we replace it with something else?

In the dictionary - trivia is defined as

- triviality: something of small importance

- insignificant trifles of little importance, especially items of unimportant information; A quiz game that involves obscure facts

Oh I neva knew that. I jst thought it meant something close to a quiz, but not insignificant or small. We should definitely use a different word. I cant think of any suitable word atm. Do you have anything in mind?

Com'on ppl think of a good title!

The term "shia" means being part of a specific group, i.e. a follower/member. It has been mentioned a number of times throughout the holy Qura'an.

E.g. (37:æóÅöäóø ãöä ÔöíÚóÊöåö áÅÈúÑóåöíãó (83)

"And most surely Abraham was among the Shia of him (i.e., Noah)" (Quran 37:83)

Next Question: Complete the missing part of Imam Ali's a.s. great hadeeth regarding Eid.

-----------------------------------------------, is a Eid day.

Everyday in which Allah is not disobeyed in is Eid : ßá íæã áÇ íÚÕ Çááå Ýíå Ýåæ ÚíÏ

what does the word Quran mean?

Edited by ~*supplication*~
  • Advanced Member

what does the word Quran mean?

Answer:

An important meaning of the word is the “act of reciting”, as reflected in an early Qur’anic passage: “It is for Us to collect it and to recite it (qur`ānahu)”

I have chosen an easy question:

Why are we commonly refered to as 'Jaafariye'?

This thread is very nice and beneficial to those who want to learn about our religon.

Edited by Major Shia

(salam)

Iqra usually means recite?

The Quran probably means a reminder?

If no objection then I'll change the topic's title.

yes iqra means recite but the word Quran means something that's always been recited so just as what major Shia said I tried to

edit my post but then his ans in my reply disappeared somehow hehe

you can change the title, there's no objection from this side.

Edited by ~*supplication*~