Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Frosty

Syria Burqa/niqab Ban

Rate this topic

Well, I am really not surprised. Syria, Kosovo, whose next?? Well Syria and Kosovo, leadership wise, from the start always had secular type leaders I guess...

Syrians and Albanians, as far as I know it, are very liberal Muslims, so it's not surprising at all for me.

This isn't new for Syria... years ago the Prez's brother had hijabs literally pulled off of women in Damascus... and girls in their 20s and 30s can remember not being allowed to wear hijab to school...

It's the Baath party secularism and dictatorship that does it.

Syrians and Albanians, as far as I know it, are very liberal Muslims, so it's not surprising at all for me.

I don't know what Syrians you've met but I think overall they're at least average in terms of practicing Islam. Not super, just average. Enough that this ban will effect at least a few young women in university. And of course symbolically it effects more than that. A lot of more religious women opt for Islamic studies at various institutes, not at public universities.

Isn't Turkey like this aswell? I've heard that you can't wear hijab in colleges... I think it was during Reza Shahs time that woman were forced to take of their chador and at the same time, under the Ottoman Rule, in Turkey, the same procedure was taking place but they became successful whereas Reza Shah didn't... anyways this is disgraceful. When something like this happens in France we shouldn't be too suprised as it's already taking place in our own 'muslim' countries!

Edited by Hawraa29

Isn't Turkey like this aswell? I've heard that you can't wear hijab in colleges... I think it was during Reza Shahs time that woman were forced to take of their chador and at the same time, under the Ottoman Rule, in Turkey, the same procedure was taking place but they became successful whereas Reza Shah didn't... anyways this is disgraceful. When something like this happens in France we shouldn't be too suprised as it's already taking place in our own 'muslim' countries!

Yes, Turkey is like this too. But after the rise of the AKP party after 2002, I believe that part of secularism doesn't exist anymore in Turkey. So, now hijabis are free to wear their hijabs at academies, universities etc. The only thing is, I'm not sure, lets assume? if niqabis and burqa wearing Muslims attended Turkey, I feel they would be banned, vs. regular hijabis.

(bismillah)

(salam)

For the record, I am not attacking anyone or trying to be rude.

I am not sure why they would ban it in Syria, but here in the Western countries, they have a good reason.

In the Western countries, many robberies are being done due to the niqab. When a camera catches the picture, it is unknown if the person is a man or a women. The identity of the criminal is also unknown due to the fact that his/her face is covered. This gives a bad image for Muslims and allows criminals to go unpunished.

Another thing is that the niqab is worn in order to avoid getting a lot of attention. In a Islamic country, such as Iran, this works. On the other hand, here in the Western countries, the niqab attracts attention because it is out of the ordinary. It is doing the opposite for what it is meant to do.

As for the religous point of view, I heard that the niqab is only wajib if a women's beauty can not be hidden by her hijab. I honestly doubt all those women you see wearing the niqab in the streets are that beuatiful.

This is my point of view on the story. I do not wish to start an argument..

Ramadan Kareem. :)

Syria's complete destruction was set in motion right from the early days of Islam. The corrupted spirit of Muawiya and Yazid has never left.

The secular Baathism of the Asad regime has nothing to do with Muawiyah or Yazid. That's a nonsensical parallel you have drawn.

I've always held the belief that Arabs of the Levant are nothing but a bunch of Arabized Arabs of European crusader ancestry who later on converted to Islam. This news of banning the burqa/niqab doesn't surprise me. Quite frankly, I'm not opposed.