Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
JimJam

If You Could Make One (non Religious) Book..

Rate this topic

I know you said non-religious, but since it is compulsory reading for the world, My book would be called "The wahabi code"... As my fave authors are Sam bourne and dan brown it would be a chilling, twisting, thriller with loads of facts..

Yours?

I know you said non-religious, but since it is compulsory reading for the world, My book would be called "The wahabi code"... As my fave authors are Sam bourne and dan brown it would be a chilling, twisting, thriller with loads of facts..

Yours?

Mine would be Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, I'm reading it these days and its one of the best things I've read. It got me impressed with Stoic philosophy. I think its something of the sort of book Psychopath talked about.

you can read / download it here

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2680

Mine would be Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, I'm reading it these days and its one of the best things I've read. It got me impressed with Stoic philosophy. I think its something of the sort of book Psychopath talked about.

you can read / download it here

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2680

Thanks, Im going to have a read through that once Ive finished reading my current book..

Edited by angel11

Crime and Punishment by Fedor Dostoyevsky. It has all those things Psychopath was talking about. There's a great love story in there as well.

Edited by Photi

Crime and Punishment by Fedor Dostoyevsky. It has all those things Psychopath was talking about. There's a great love story in there as well.

I would have liked that book if not for the insult against our Prophet (pbuh).

Anyway I would force everyone to read The Wretched of the Earth by Frantz Fanon, including the preface by Jean-Paul Sartre. I just can't get over that book. It is amazing. Fanon perfectly describes the problems afflicting the world today, from the perspective of a psychiatrist who treated both colonizer and colonized.

Edited by baradar_jackson

I would have liked that book if not for the insult against our Prophet (pbuh).

i read it long before i was a muslim, i had no idea. i'll have to take another look.

Anyway I would force everyone to read The Wretched of the Earth by Frantz Fanon, including the preface by Jean-Paul Sartre. I just can't get over that book. It is amazing. Fanon perfectly describes the problems afflicting the world today, from the perspective of a psychiatrist who treated both colonizer and colonized.

I have that with the preface you mentioned. i keep meaning to read it.

Edited by Photi

i read it long before i was a muslim, i had no idea.  i'll have to take another look.

Yeah, it was at the part when Raskolnikov was feeling a sense of self-loathing over killing the old lady. He was comparing himself to notorious killers, one of whom was the Great Prophet. I have the book; now I wish I would have marked the page so I could type out the exact quote. I read it a long time ago.

I have that with the preface you mentioned.  i keep meaning to read it. 

Whose translation?

The new translation by Richard Philcox sucks.

Yeah, it was at the part when Raskolnikov was feeling a sense of self-loathing over killing the old lady. He was comparing himself to notorious killers, one of whom was the Great Prophet. I have the book; now I wish I would have marked the page so I could type out the exact quote. I read it a long time ago.

it appears Crime and Punishment is available in its entirety from google books for free. i read that translation.

Edited by Photi

That's the one I have.  Whose do you recommend?

That's the one I have too. I bought it for reference purposes and noticed that it was a very different translation than the one I read originally.

I don't remember the guy's name, but the cover looked like this:

wretched.JPG

That's the one I have too. I bought it for reference purposes and noticed that it was a very different translation than the one I read originally.

I don't remember the guy's name, but the cover looked like this:

wretched.JPG

so is that 'psychoanalyst' as in he takes a Freudian approach to understanding the mind?  

If I weren't a Muslim, I would be a Darwinian Freudist.  Maybe Civilization and Its Discontents needs to be included on the one-book roster.   

Great thread I need to update my reading list lol.. currently it's just bunch of love stories :P

Yours?

that sounds cooool! I'd read that lol

Crime and Punishment by Fedor Dostoyevsky.  It has all those things Psychopath was talking about.  There's a great love story in there as well.

ooooo love in it! :P I'll check it out :D

A book without words.

there's one already.. I remember reading abt a book w/o words .. few 100 empty pages.. I heared it was a hit for a while

well I'd recommend the alchemist.. it was a good book :)

Something in relation to philosophy and critical thinking. These are seriously lacking amongst the general public...people don't realise how logically and conceptually flawed their everyday arguments often are.

Yep. I'd recommend Memoirs of the Psychopath. :P

Im writing the 8th harry potter book

basically, harry potter decides to go to india and decides to rename himself "harre puther" ... he builds a new hogwarts in india and makes new spells like ... "hurry, hurry...make some...curry"...

Thats just the beginning .. it gets more interesting ... you can purchase it next year ... price : negotiable.