Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Advanced Member

(salam)

The Yazidi believe in God as creator of the world, which he placed under the care of seven holy beings or angels, the chief of whom is Melek Taus, the Peacock Angel. :huh:

Melek_taus.png

According to the Encyclopedia of the Orient,

The reason for the Yazidis reputation of being devil worshipers is connected to the other name of Melek Taus, Shaytan, the same name the Koran has for Satan.[15]

Furthermore, the Yazidi story regarding Tawûsê Melek's rise to favor with God is almost identical to the story of the jinn Iblis in Islam, except that Yazidis revere Tawûsê Melek for refusing to submit to Adam, while Muslims believe that Iblis' refusal to submit caused him to fall out of Grace with God, and to later become Satan himself.[16]

Almost all the Iraqi I know say these people worship the devil. Do they really? :unsure:

• Advanced Member

Their views are very similar to those i've read of some satanists, who consider the devil to be a misunderstood force of goodness.

Their whole origins story makes Melek Taus, the archangel they worship to be a good version of the devil. They praise him for not bowing to Adam

Then God gave life to Adam from his own breath and instructed all archangels to bow to Adam. The archangels obeyed except for Tawûsê Melek. In answer to God, Tawûsê Melek replied, "How can I submit to another being! I am from your illumination while Adam is made of dust." Then God praised him and made him the leader of all angels and his deputy on the Earth.

They also seem to love Yazid (la), considering him as the incarnation of someone important

• Advanced Member

Yazidis: a cult related to the Yarsan (a.k.a. Ahl-i-Haqq), but which differs in the fact that it worships Satan and rejects the rooster-sacrifice associated with Yarsanism. It borrowed extensively from Mithraism, and upon contact with Christian, and later, Muslim theology, the Yazidis began to associate Mithra with Satan, whom they called “Malek Taus” (the peacock-angel)

They totally reject Islam and the Qur’an, and their “holy text” is Meshaf-Resh (in Kurdish, literally the "Black Book"), a book of dubious origins whose very content is kept secret from non-Yazidis. According to most Shia versions of history, the pagan ancestors of the Yazidis intermarried with Umayyad Arabs descended from the tyrannical Yazid (who was himself a disbeliever in the Qur’an and a proud descendant of pre-Islamic pagan Arab rulers), and thereby got their name. The Yazidis deny this. they claim they are ordinary Kurds. However they DO venerate Yazid! They refer to him as "Sultan Ezid" and consider him both a saint and a divine reincarnation of Malek Taus! They also venerate a certain Shaykh Adi Musaafir, an Arab descendant of Yazid, who likely authored the Meshaf-Resh as well as finalizing most of the current dogmas of the cult. He gave it a tinge of pseudo-Islamic appearance while fusing it with the old mithraist aspects and even older shamanistic animal talisman worship.

They also deny that any evil beings exists in the universe, and claim that God relinquished power to His angels and therefore is no longer omnipotent or even relevant to people’s lives. The Yazidis claim that Satan (or “Malek Taus”) is the leader of these angels and do not consider him evil – in fact, they consider him to be not only an angel, but also a deity. They do not even believe in Heaven or Hell, but instead subscribe to the Hindu belief of reincarnation. They follow a great many other un-Islamic heresies such as using a caste system, having a hereditary priesthood, practicing monasticism, forbidding the consumption of fish, lettuce, and beans, permitting the consumption of alcohol and pork, and having a perpetual fear of the color blue. They have no love for the Ahlul-Bayt, and refuse to say anything negative about the Umayyads. They avoid all words with “s” or “sh” sounds as part of their taboo against using the name “Satan”/”Shaytan”.

• Advanced Member

Shia Shahid,

Very informative! Thank you.

You can find interesting pics here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8593779.stm

I am also told that they have some sort of caste system in their faith. How does that work?

The Yazidi faith has a three-tiered caste system: Al-Thira, Al-Shuyukh and Al-Maridiyya. They are forbidden from marrying across castes. Yazidism does not proselytize. However, it has been in contact with many faiths across the years, and has undoubtedly been affected by (and has affected) them. In fact, it shares very similar beliefs with some of them while differing in others: Yazidis believe in reincarnation, and many of their religious festivals have pagan rites.

Sourced: http://www.niqash.org/content.php?contentTypeID=74&id=1874〈=0

Yazidi temple in Northern Iraq

img_7227.jpg

img_7240.jpg

img_7253.jpg

• Advanced Member

Shia Shahid, thanks for that information. I learned something new today. I hope it's correct. Because I often found myself wondering, whether or not they were named after that tyrannical Yazid that caused a lot of grief for Shiite Muslims. Because I remember, Yazidi Kurds denying that. I hope to look into this further, but I do remember, that the ancestors of the Yazidi Kurds did marry some Arab Sunni Muslims who attempted to try and convert them (to Sunni Islam), but instead ended up mixing in with them*, so I'm assuming these Arab Sunni Muslims, and their religious leaders, based on what you said, are related to Yazid.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Could their faith/belief predate Islam? Do they believe in Allah swt or the Holy Prophet?

Prayers in Yazidism must be performed some distance from non-Yazidis, twice a day, and in the direction of the sun. Prayer is dedicated to Malak Ta'us. Saturday is the day of rest, but it is Wednesday that is the holy day. In December, a 3 day fast is performed.

Researchers believe that the Yazidi creed has elements from Zoroastrianism, Manicheism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. http://i-cias.com/e.o/yazidism.htm

I am told they don’t follow Yazid(LA), the killer of Hussein(as). Rather they worship the devil (shaytan) – the fallen angel.

Do you guys know that Yazidi believe we (they and us) don’t follow the same ancestors Adam or Eve.

The Yazidis believe that they are the descendants of Adam only, while the rest of the world are descendants of Eve, hence inferior. It is impossible to convert to Yazidism; you must be born one. The strongest punishment among Yazidis is expulsion, which means that your soul is lost forever.

Also, they don’t believe in hell

There appears to be the concept of a paradise, but there is no hell, thanks to Malak Ta'us. Rather it seems that souls that do not go to paradise are lost or extinguished.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

The peacock walks with vanity and pride, and throws open its tail and wings and laughs admiring the handsomeness of its dress and the hues of its necklace of gems. But when it casts its glance at its legs it cries loudly with a voice which indicates its call for help and displays its true grief, because its legs are thin like the legs of Indo-Persian cross-bred cocks. At the end of its shin there is a thin thorn and on the crown of its head there is a bunch of green variegated feathers. Its neck begins in the shape of a goblet and its stretch up to its belly is like the hair-dye of Yemen in colour or like silk cloth put on a polished mirror which looks as if it has been covered with a black veil, except that on account of its excessive lustre and extreme brightness it appears that a lush green colour has been mixed with it. Along the openings of its ears there is a line of shining bright daisy colour like the thin end of a pen. Whiteness shines on the black background. There is hardly a hue from which it has not taken a bit and improved it further by regular polish, lustre, silken brightness and brilliance. It is therefore like scattered blossoms which have not been seasoned by the rains of spring or the sun of the summer.

As we have described in the story of Ibrahim (a.s.) and four birds, he caught and cut into pieces a crow, a [Edited Out], and dove and a peacock. Then he mixed their crushed meat so that it could not be separated from one another. Then, as per a narration, made seventeen heaps of it and put them at seventeen places on different hills. Then he took the head of dove in his hand called it out. In response, all the particles of its meat flew from every station and re-assembled to form the body as it was before being slaughtered and then it joined with its head. Then Ibrahim (a.s.) called out the peacock before the body of the peacock but it did not join. One's head was not being joined with another's body. In short, there is no chance of any error in the knowledge of God.
There is no mention in the correct and reliable traditions as to how Iblīs found his way to Adam and his wife, or as to what means he adopted for this purpose. Some traditions mention the serpent and peacock as the two helpers of Iblīs in his endeavour to mislead Adam and his wife; but they are extremely unreliable. Obviously, such traditions were interpolated under the influence of Judaism.

Al Mizan

Like the feathers of a peacock, falsehood might look very attractive, but is as ugly as [as are the] feet of a peacock. Imam Ali (as)

I cant believe how ignorant this article is: http://www.angelfire.com/az/rescon/mgcyazid.html

Edited by Ya Baqiyatullah (aj)
  • Advanced Member

This too seems to be another extreme. Any ways people when they interact do tend to intermarry and pick concepts along the way as a result of the interchange, it has always been a part of human history.

Well if they are non muslims doesnt mean that we go to pick up a fight with them, that to if they are causing no harm.

Eating pork and drinking wine but refusing to consume cabbage and lettuse etc I dont know what to say about it.

• 3 months later...
  • Basic Members

as a kurd, my ancestors had never been yazidis, rather kurds chose Islam very early... Instead, my fahter told me that we were previously "zerdousht" that is to say in zoroastrism or mazdeism (synonimus) ... the real yazidis never left their belief and had been greatly persecuted even if it is true that they had been deceived...

The peacock is extremely intriguing, 12 feathers on top representing day 12 below with a crescent moon, representing the night.

Diagrams on the below half like ancient Egyptian hierlogyphics or resembling Sacred Geometry.

The peacock as known is an animal which represents the coming of the rain.

...........Pretty simple the Yazidis were an ancient tribe of people who worshipped seasons and the turn of night and day like most of the Egyptians or Mayans did.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

Their views are very similar to those i've read of some satanists, who consider the devil to be a misunderstood force of goodness.

Their whole origins story makes Melek Taus, the archangel they worship to be a good version of the devil. They praise him for not bowing to Adam

Then God gave life to Adam from his own breath and instructed all archangels to bow to Adam. The archangels obeyed except for Tawûsê Melek. In answer to God, Tawûsê Melek replied, "How can I submit to another being! I am from your illumination while Adam is made of dust." Then God praised him and made him the leader of all angels and his deputy on the Earth.

They also seem to love Yazid (la), considering him as the incarnation of someone important

Wow! This is actually too informative! I never knew this sect existed! Thanks for Zareen to bring up the topic and others to explain, it is a very interesting view..

having a perpetual fear of the color blue.

Does anyone know the reason why? I am curious...

------

I have a question regarding the Satan and this topic.. In Shia Islam, we believe Satan was an angel who was banished from Heaven for not obeying God's command to bow to Prophet Adam, but do we believe the Satan still (even after his punishment) has ultimate love and devotion for Allah? Or does Satan no longer obey Allah's Word?

I read this and got a bit confused as I always thought the Satan was bad - almost to an extent where it should be shunned - but reading this passage led me to believe that the Satan is not as bad as we may view him; ie. "The Devil serves without reward". If someone could help me clarify:

"In Islam, Satan is identified as the single angel who, setting himself apart from all other agelic beings, refused God's command to bow down before Adam on the day of his creation... For this he was banished from Heaven and was taken away from the presence of God. No more does the eye of God enlighten him; no more will the touch of God give him joy. But in spite of this punishment, he has never lost his love for God. He alone of all the beings in the cosmos, loves God without gain, without hope.... Thus, seen objectively, this unrequited love is the most pure of any. The Devil serves without reward." (Essential Sufism, 235)

Thanks!

Edited by princevisram
  • Veteran Member

Princevisram: I have the book you've quoted in my possession right now. The editors made a big mistake. The Quran says that Iblis was one of the Jinns. It is generally agreed that Jinns are separate from angels, but some early Muslims thought the Jinns were a tribe of angelic beings. The editors of the Essential Sufism book are mistaken.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23
  • Advanced Member

Princevisram: I have the book you've quoted in my possession right now. The editors made a big mistake. The Quran says that Iblis was one of the Jinns. It is generally agreed that Jinns are separate from angels, but some early Muslims thought the Jinns were a tribe of angelic beings. The editors of the Essential Sufism book are mistaken.

Thanks, this was actually bugging me from my lack of understanding. I just didn't understand the concept they wrote but now I understand it must have been a mistake. Thanks for clarifying!

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I have a question regarding the Satan and this topic.. In Shia Islam, we believe Satan was an angel who was banished from Heaven for not obeying God's command to bow to Prophet Adam, but do we believe the Satan still (even after his punishment) has ultimate love and devotion for Allah? Or does Satan no longer obey Allah's Word?

I read this and got a bit confused as I always thought the Satan was bad - almost to an extent where it should be shunned - but reading this passage led me to believe that the Satan is not as bad as we may view him; ie. "The Devil serves without reward". If someone could help me clarify:

"In Islam, Satan is identified as the single angel who, setting himself apart from all other agelic beings, refused God's command to bow down before Adam on the day of his creation... For this he was banished from Heaven and was taken away from the presence of God. No more does the eye of God enlighten him; no more will the touch of God give him joy. But in spite of this punishment, he has never lost his love for God. He alone of all the beings in the cosmos, loves God without gain, without hope.... Thus, seen objectively, this unrequited love is the most pure of any. The Devil serves without reward." (Essential Sufism, 235)

Actually there were other reasons for iblis to be thrown out of Allahs grace, apart from not bowing to Prophet Adam (as)

One of them was that iblis said he will not bow because he is made of fire and Hazrat Adam (as) is made of earth, and saying that fire is superior to earth and thereby doubting Allahs adl(justice).

Allah said that since He created fire and knows which is afzal(superior) and which is mafzool(inferior), and iblis was ignorantly assuming fire to be afzal.

But fire is two levels lower than earth as the wood from the tree can only be got only with the help of earth.

Though Iblish worshipped Allah so much but he had the quality of takabbur (to assume one as high in rank and look down others) else he would have immediately bowed down to Hazrat Adam (as). Thus by not obeying Allah he became accursed for the rest of his life, so the question of obeying now doesnt exist.

No, Iblis does not worship Allah anymore as he took permission from Allah (so as to take the people away from sirat-e-mustakheem - the right path) till day of judgement for which Allah granted only till the known time (waqt-e-maloom which is nothing but the time of zahoor of our 12th Imam (atf))

So dont have the misconception that iblis is not as bad as we view him and that he worshipped Allah without any reward. Iblis did not obey Allah and became accursed, no further thought of him as not so bad.

The same applies when Hazrat Ali (as) was appointed as Khalifah by Holy Prophet (saw) as per Allahs wish, but the munafeqeen or those who ignorantly thought themselves superior did not respect Allahs and his Messenger's (saw) word and did the same thing as Iblis did, though in this case they(including the first 3) bowed to Hazrat Ali(as) but later went back on their word and took away his(as) rights after the death of Holy Prophet (saw)

Though you can analyze and read stuff from other sects to know their beliefs, its better and advisable to also read books from shia sources as well and not get confused with what is written in other non-shia sources.

And lastly yes Iblis was a jinn and not an angel, because Allah has already made His Prophets and Imams (as) names and their positions known to the angels(for which they do tasbeeh) but iblis being a jinn did not knew it which made him say that Hazrat Adam(as) is made of earth and is inferior to him

(wasalam)

Edited by Imtiaz_Hyder
  • Veteran Member

On the topic of the "Peacock" I find it interesting that these Yazidis have an adoration of this "Peacock" and seem to associate him with Iblis. However, I actually read a tradition where Iblis is said to have tricked "the Peacock" into aiding him.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23
  • Advanced Member

....The same applies when Hazrat Ali (as) was appointed as Khalifah by Holy Prophet (saw) as per Allahs wish, but the munafeqeen or those who ignorantly thought themselves superior did not respect Allahs and his Messenger's (saw) word and did the same thing as Iblis did, though in this case they(including the first 3) bowed to Hazrat Ali(as) but later went back on their word and took away his(as) rights after the death of Holy Prophet (saw)...

This is a very interesting analogy. Thanks for your reply, it was full of information I am sure many have already benefited from, JazakAllah Khayr!

• Advanced Member

They worship some weird peacock angel, that's most of what I know...They worship him so he doesn't destroy them. Technically they don't even have to worship their good god...

Does anyone know the reason why? I am curious...

My understanding was that they do not want to usurp the peacock angel's color...

Edited by ohhcuppycakee
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Thankfully, we live in a time when good information (including a number of academic books) is available on the Yezidis, and we have no excuse for dismissing them as "devil worshippers" as previous generations did. They are just ordinary people, very much like us, who have an interesting religion with murky origins.