Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Bintaliraq

Tattoos In Islam

Rate this topic

(salam)

Hello this is a topic that a lot of us in the teenage n 20's talk about

me and my friends were talking about tattoos some were saying its not haram

and some were saying its haram and some were saying it was but its not haram any more

so I would like to know from you guy's is it haram? or not?

if it's haram I would like to see proof of where it states its haram

Tattoos are NOT haram but its makrooh to do it, not recommended or preferred to be done by muslims. If they are considerd haram at all it would be from the pain prespective and the fact that u'r trying to imitate the western societies and the non-muslims. I know the old Iraqi women used to do it in the past but I don't think it's as common lately in the arab society. And honestly sister looking at it from the health point of view it's totally not safe and it does impose a threat on your life. More over tattoos cannot be removed easily as its been adv and your body will never be the same as before getting a tattoo no matter how small it is.

The Quran teaches us what's lawful and unlawful. People consider things to be unlawful, that they themselves do not agree with. This is the din of the individual- lack of tolerance, not Islam.

We cannot imagine that Allah forgot to mention that tattoos are unlawful.

With that in mind, you should direct your question to Allah and his Messenger (SAAS) by picking up the Quran and finding out that way. If you find a Hadith that says something is unlawful, but cannot back it up with Quran, then consider it a weak hadith.

That will clear up a lot of confusion regarding Halal and Haram in Islam.

Islam stops from having Tattoos, pics and images. Allah said that angels avoid going in those home who have pictures on their walls so you can imagine what would be if you have tattoo on your body. we should avoid doing the things from which Allah has stop us and the things which he hasn't defined good or bad and we have confusion about them then we should avoid them too as Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said to be.

As far as most Shia scholars are concerned, tatoos are not haram at all. Check with your Marja3 to make sure. However, alot of people seem to think it's haram because you cannot do your wudhu or do ghusl..but you can with tatoos since it's not like another layer on your skin, like nail varnish is.

Edited by koko313

Yes, tattoos are technically halal, but the reasons for wanting one have to be taken under consideration. To be honest, I can't think of a good reason why anyone would want a permanent tattoo, so personally I would advise against them. You might always regret it later, and if you aren't yet married you should take into consideration that your future spouse might not like it.

Why did you want a tattoo?

Please learn not to ask a question with a question

1st learn how to read and 2nd make sure to answer or don't answer

Tattoos are NOT haram but its makrooh to do it, not recommended or preferred to be done by muslims. If they are considerd haram at all it would be from the pain prespective and the fact that u'r trying to imitate the western societies and the non-muslims. I know the old Iraqi women used to do it in the past but I don't think it's as common lately in the arab society. And honestly sister looking at it from the health point of view it's totally not safe and it does impose a threat on your life. More over tattoos cannot be removed easily as its been adv and your body will never be the same as before getting a tattoo no matter how small it is.

Thank you for your response... I'm trying to teach my self more about islam

I was really never raised in a religious way and it's just confusing to hear from

different people that it's haram n it's not but than I remember my grandmother in iraq

had tattoos which stands for their tribes so I was confused when someone tells me

it's haram you got to hell for it :unsure:

The Quran teaches us what's lawful and unlawful. People consider things to be unlawful, that they themselves do not agree with. This is the din of the individual- lack of tolerance, not Islam.

We cannot imagine that Allah forgot to mention that tattoos are unlawful.

With that in mind, you should direct your question to Allah and his Messenger (SAAS) by picking up the Quran and finding out that way. If you find a Hadith that says something is unlawful, but cannot back it up with Quran, then consider it a weak hadith.

That will clear up a lot of confusion regarding Halal and Haram in Islam.

Wow I agree so much with you! I think many people misuse the Quran or don't go by it

many muslims say a lot haram I even heard people say if u wear hair extensions or wigs

it are sinning, piercing your ears are sin suchh n such and many people play with the quran

words and I would hate to learn the wrong thing && honestly I'm trying my best to translate some

of the arabic words or try to figure out what they mean its really hard to understand most..

Islam stops from having Tattoos, pics and images. Allah said that angels avoid going in those home who have pictures on their walls so you can imagine what would be if you have tattoo on your body. we should avoid doing the things from which Allah has stop us and the things which he hasn't defined good or bad and we have confusion about them then we should avoid them too as Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said to be.

wait.. WHAT?! pictures on your walls? where is this writting please? any proof?

and by images what you mean because it would mean a lot... care to explain?

I appreciate it

This topic has been discussed many times and we have all seen fatwas from Marjas - they all state tattoos are not haram.

Im wondering what is the basis behind the ruling though, does anyone know? I know the sunnis have a few hadith that seem to be explicitly stating that tattoos are forbidden hence you won't really find a sunni scholar who permits them. What about shia sources though, do we not have any hadith forbidding them and hence theres no basis for prohibition? Or do we have any hadith that permit them? Or do we have conflicting hadith?

I read somewhere that as long as Allahs name or the Ahlul-Bayts names aren't on the tattoo then it's permissable to get one...

Yeah I did hear having names of specially Allah or Nabi Mohammad SWA is not okay

but others I don't know some told me its the pain and the ink but there is people beat

on their self's in ashura isn't that harming your body as well .. leaving marks..

As far as most Shia scholars are concerned, tatoos are not haram at all. Check with your Marja3 to make sure. However, alot of people seem to think it's haram because you cannot do your wudhu or do ghusl..but you can with tatoos since it's not like another layer on your skin, like nail varnish is.

I'm shia n follow ayat il sistanee but I'm not closed minded I do look at on shia side n sunni side than be close minded to one thing..

but both sides come about tattoo's so differently :wacko:

people beat their self's in ashura isn't that harming your body as well .. leaving marks..

Yeah, but that is permissible because it's mourning for Imam Hussein (as).

I'm shia n follow ayat il sistanee but I'm not closed minded I do look at on shia side n sunni side than be close minded to one thing..

but both sides come about tattoo's so differently :wacko:

If you're Shia , then you should know that Shias and Sunnis have completely different views on many issues. It's good to learn what they believe, but at the end of the day you need to follow what your own deen and marja3 say. If they say it's halal, then it's halal. If it's makrooh, then it's makrooh..

If you're Shia , then you should know that Shias and Sunnis have completely different views on many issues. It's good to learn what they believe, but at the end of the day you need to follow what your own deen and marja3 say. If they say it's halal, then it's halal. If it's makrooh, then it's makrooh..

so in shia tattooing is halal? or what? because reading up above

I'm getting 2 different answers :squeez::unsure:

As far as most Shia scholars are concerned, tatoos are not haram at all. But some scholars do say it's makrooh-so it is halal, however it is better not to get it. You follow Sistani and I don't know his fatwa on tatoos. If you have his resale, check it...or call his office or send them your question.

http://www.sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&nid=9

http://www.sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&nid=12

Edited by koko313

Tattoos are haram, Allah(swt) said that purposefully damaging your body is haram. A tattoo is ink and is permanent and is therefore considered as haram because you are damaging your body. Dude if you absolutely want a tattoo then get a fake sticker tat, it will rub off in a week.

You can't pray with a Tattoo on...

-,-'

lolz just get temporary or hennah xD

i don't know why any wanna would want to go through such an absurd painful thing...

plus how do you know what you want?! it'll be on you forever and you can't even change it! plus your skin sags on the spot where the tattoo is...

Well actually above a person said about Quran and hadith and stuff...

well in the Quran it says you cannot change Allah's creations... that could be in play here... it's Sura Al- Nisa i'm pretty sure of it...

look at Quran!~

^-^

Edited by *Qinzy!~

(bismillah)

(salam)

I heard that no marjaa has banned it.

I also heard that you can do your wudu' on top of a tattoo because a tattoo is under your skin, not on top.

Yeah they do have their differences but at the end the day really we are all muslims and dividing

it's not good for islam period so in shia tattooing is halal? or what? because reading up above

I'm getting 2 different answers :squeez::unsure:

(salam)

Bro as far as tattoos go most Scholars and Ayatullah Sistani say its not haram. Therefore the simple fact of the matter is its halal. I emailed Sayed Sistani's team and they replied it was halal. If you want a tattoo and are sure about it, go for it. But make sure its is something you want.

To be honest I have been thinking about a tattoo for years and finally next Saturday 21st Aug I'm getting mine done on my right forearm, because of the reply I got from a pious individual who is more knowledgeable than all of us put together.

Everybody views something from different perspectives. All that mattered to me was all the Pious scholars we have today say its Halal. Please take into account its Un-Islamic to turn something halal into haram...

I'm getting the arabic text in my signature done on my right forearm in two lines so its not massive and for everyone to see. I have the belief of everyday is ashura, everland is karbala in my heart which is my mental reminder, i want it on my arm as my physical reminder.. if i could have it plastered on my eyes i would so that i don't forget it...

hope that helps.. :)

(bismillah)

(salam)

I heard that no marjaa has banned it.

I also heard that you can do your wudu' on top of a tattoo because a tattoo is under your skin, not on top.

your right bro

The tattoo resides in the 3rd layer of your skin

Edited by Asad Ali Haidry

Please learn not to ask a question with a question

1st learn how to read and 2nd make sure to answer or don't answer

Maybe I should have phrased it differently, but the answer to my question is relevant to whether getting a tattoo would be halal or not. If the motivation for it is wrong, then it is not allowed. In principle however, there is no problem with having a tattoo.

For future reference, you might also want to do search for this kind of thing, as there have been many threads on the topic. Go to google and type site:shiachat.com tattoo (for example).

Edited by Haider Husayn

Yes, tattoos are technically halal, but the reasons for wanting one have to be taken under consideration. To be honest, I can't think of a good reason why anyone would want a permanent tattoo, so personally I would advise against them. You might always regret it later, and if you aren't yet married you should take into consideration that your future spouse might not like it.

In many cultures, getting tattoos is part of the transition from being a minor to being an adult, or for beign a full participatory member of society. If doing so is not haram than these are perfectly fine reasons to get a tattoo.

Asa practical matter, I know brothers in prison who have tattoos because verbal communication is not always possible, and tattoos help differentiate friends from foes in times of conflict. And these tattoos are of the Names of Allah, or the Messenger (phub), and the brothers were told it is permissible, but as a matter of precaution they had to maintain wudu/ghusl at all times.

(salam)

(bismillah)

Tattoo has been talked about many times on these forums already. I am going to quote the post that I've made concerning this topic.

This has been discussed many times on this forums, but I will post again the different things regarding tattoos.

We do have aHaadeeth about tattoo'ing, but they are all Da'eef.

ÃóÍúãóÏó Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÇáúåóíúËóãö Úóäú ÃóÍúãóÏó Èúäö íóÍúíóì Úóäú ÒóßóÑöíóøÇ Úóäú ÈóßúÑö Èúäö ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ÍóÈöíÈò Úóäú Êóãöíãö Èúäö Èõåúáõæáò Úóäú ÃóÈöíåö Úóäú Úóáöíöø Èúäö ÛõÑóÇÈò Úóäú ÌóÚúÝóÑö Èúäö ãõÍóãóøÏò Úóäú ÂÈóÇÆöåö ÞóÇáó áóÚóäó ÑóÓõæáõ Çááóøåö Õ ÇáäóøÇãöÕóÉó æó ÇáúãõäúÊóãöÕóÉó æó ÇáúæóÇÔöÑóÉó æó ÇáúãõæÊóÔöÑóÉó æó ÇáúæóÇÕöáóÉó æó ÇáúãõÓúÊóæúÕöáóÉó æó ÇáúæóÇÔöãóÉó æó ÇáúãõÓúÊóæúÔöãóÉó

Basically Rasoolillaah (SAWAS) curses those woman who have tattoos and who do tattoos for other people.

• Source:
  • Al-Sadooq, Ma'aanee Al-Akhbaar, pg. 249 - 250

ÃóÍúãóÏó Èúäö íóÍúíóì = Majhool

ÈóßúÑö Èúäö ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ÍóÈöíÈò = Majhool

Êóãöíãö Èúäö Èõåúáõæáò = Majhool

ÃóÈöíåö = Èåáæá ÃÈæ Êãíã = Majhool

Úóáöíöø Èúäö ÛõÑóÇÈò = Majhool

So this hadeeth is Da'eef Jiddan (Very Weak).

ÚöÏóøÉñ ãöäú ÃóÕúÍóÇÈöäóÇ Úóäú ÃóÍúãóÏó Èúäö ÃóÈöí ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Úóäú ÃóÈöíåö Úóäú ãõÍóãóøÏö Èúäö ÓöäóÇäò Úóäú ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Èúäö ÓöäóÇäò Úóäú ÃóÈöí ÚóÈúÏö Çááóøåö Ú ÞóÇáó ÞóÇáó ÑóÓõæáõ Çááóøåö Õ ÇáúæóÇÔöãóÉõ æó ÇáúãõæÊóÔöãóÉõ æó ÇáäóøÇÌöÔõ æó ÇáúãóäúÌõæÔõ ãóáúÚõæäõæäó Úóáóì áöÓóÇäö ãõÍóãóøÏò

The woman who has tattoos and the one who does tattoos (for other people) will be cursed by the tongue of Muhammad (SAWAS)

• Souce:
  • Al-Kulaynee, Al-Kaafee, vol. 5, pg. 559, hadeeth # 13
    Grading:
  • Al-Majlisi has said this hadeeth is "Da'eef 'alaa Mashhoor"
    --> Mir'aat Al-'Uqool, vol. 20, pg. 411
  • Bahboodee has said this hadeeth is "Da'eef"
    --> SaHeeH Al-Kaafee, vol. 3, pg. 82

Here is what Al-Mufeed has said bout Tattoo'ing for women.

æ áÇ íÌæÒ áåÇ æÔã æÌååÇ æ åæ Ãä ÊäÞÈ Ýí ÎÏåÇ æ ÛíÑåÇ ãä æÌååÇ ÈÅÈÑÉ

Translation: It is NOT permissible for (a women) to tattoo on her face, and put a needle into her cheeks or face

• Source:
  • Al-Mufeed, aHkaam Al-Nisaa, pg. 55

Here is what Aboo SaaliH Al-Halabee (d. 447 AH)

æ æÔã æÌæå ÇáäÓÇÁ æ ÊÏáíÓåä ÈÒÎÑÝÉ ÇáÃÝÚÇá

"And Tattoo the face (for) women..."

^^ This is under the section titled ÝÕá ÝíãÇ íÍÑã ÝÚá (Chapter of haraam things to do) ^^

1. Source:
  2. Aboo SaaliH Al-Halabee, Al-Kaafee fee Al-Fiqh, pg. 281

Here is what Shaykh Al-AnSaaree (MurtaDaa bin Muhammad Ameen) has said about tattoos

Actually he has a WHOLE chapter named this, ÙÇåÑ ÈÚÖ ÇáÃÎÈÇÑ ÇáãäÚ Úä ãØáÞ ÇáæÔã æ æÕá ÇáÔÚÑ ÈÔÚÑ ÇáÛíÑ (Showing some Al-Akhbaar (Hadeeth) on an ABSOLUTE ban on tattooing and wearing the hair of others (hair extensions)

• Source:
  • Shaykh Al-AnSaaree (d. 1281 AH), Kitaab Al-Makaasib, vol. 1, pg. 83

From what I have seen, the majority of classical scholars has said it is not permissible to tattoo. A lot of times this was directed towards women, but maybe because back in the day tattooing for men was not AS common as it was for women.

Between contemporary scholars there was still no ijmaa' (consensus) on this issue.

Here is what Muhammad RiDaa Al-Gulpaygaanee has said about tattoo'ing (even with tattoos of Allaah's name)

Q: æÔã ÇÓã Çááå Ìá ÌáÇáå Ãæ ãÍãÏ (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æ Âáå) Ýí ÇáÌÓã åá åæ ÌÇÆÒ¿ æ ÇáÐí æÔã ãä ÞÈá æ áÇ íÓÊØíÚ ÅÒÇáÊå åá íÓÊØíÚ áãÓ ÇáãæÖÚ¡ æ åá íÌÈ Ãä íÈÞì Úáì ØåÇÑÉ¿

Is it permissible to put a tattoo of (one of) Allaah's names or Muhammad (SAWAS) name on my body? What about if I have had a tattoo before...

A: ÈÓãå ÊÚÇáì: ÇáÃÍæØ ÊÑß ÇáæÔã æ áæ ßÇä ÞÏ ÝÚáå ÃÒÇáå ãÚ ÇáÅãßÇä¡ æ íÍÑã ãÓå ÅÐÇ ßÇä ãÍÏËÇ¡ æ Çááå ÇáÚÇáã

In the name of the most high: It is best to Leave from doing tattoos and if it has been done already, try to remove it if possible..

• Source:
  • Al-Gulpaygaanee, Irshaad Al-Saa-il, pg. 183, question # 665

Here is Al-Khoei's opinion on tattoos.

Q: åá íÌæÒ æÔã ÇáíÏ Ãæ ÇáÕÏÑ Ãã áÇ íÌæÒ¿

"Is it permissible to have a tattoo on the hand or chest, or is it not (permissible)?"

A: áÇ ÈÃÓ Èå Ýí äÝÓå Ýí ÛíÑ ÇáãÍÑøã

"There is nothing wrong in itself (to tattoo)."

• Source:
  • Al-Khoei & Al-Tabreezee, SiraaT Al-Najaa-, vol. 1, pg. 446, question # 1235

Here is Al-Seestaanee opinion on Tattoos:

Q:What is the ruling for eyebrow plucking for women and what is the veracity of the hadeeth, "May Allah curse the 'mutanammisat' (women who pluck or remove hair from their face)? and what is the ruling for the visiting of graves for women, and what is the veracity of the hadith, "May Allah curse those women who visit graves?".

A: There is no harm in both, and the two narrations have weak sanad.

(salam)

(bismillah)

Tattoo has been talked about many times on these forums already. I am going to quote the post that I've made concerning this topic.

wow...

That's really well put together information...

^-^

(salam)

(bismillah)

So do you think if you presented these to the Prominent religious scholars of today they would change their ruling?

You said:

Q:What is the ruling for eyebrow plucking for women and what is the veracity of the hadeeth, "May Allah curse the 'mutanammisat' (women who pluck or remove hair from their face)? and what is the ruling for the visiting of graves for women, and what is the veracity of the hadith, "May Allah curse those women who visit graves?".

Where is the mention of Tattoos?

Edited by Asad Ali Haidry

(salam)

(bismillah)

So do you think if you presented these to the Prominent religious scholars of today they would change their ruling?

I doubt they could change their opinion.

You said:

Where is the mention of Tattoos?

The mention of tattoos is within the hadeeth that says "may allaah curse the mutanammisat (the one who plucks eyebrows)...". I have already quoted the hadeeth, sorry for not pointing that out. It was the first hadeeth I quoted.

قَالَ لَعَنَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص النَّامِصَةَ وَ الْمُنْتَمِصَةَ وَ الْوَاشِرَةَ وَ الْمُوتَشِرَةَ وَ الْوَاصِلَةَ وَ الْمُسْتَوْصِلَةَ وَ الْوَاشِمَةَ وَ الْمُسْتَوْشِمَةَ

The part in red is where he was talking about mutanammisat "plucking eyebrows". But if you notice in that same hadeeth it is talking about tattoos (the part in green) it means "(person who gets) tattoos and a person who does tattoos."

So that is where he is talking about tattoos as well, basically showing the weakness in the isnaad (chain of narrators), as I have already mentioned.

(salam)

Edited by Nader Zaveri