Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

I Took My Shahada

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I took my shahada on 31JL10 at the Zainabiya Imambargah in Hazelwood, Missouri USA.

Allah (swt) has been most gracious to me!

My brothers and sisters in Islam at Zainabiya Imambargah have treated me with great hospitality and understanding!

• Veteran Member

salam.gif

mashAllah and congratulations!!

Imam Ali Reza(as) said "My father Musa Al-Kadhim(as) narrated to me from his father Ja'fer As-Sadiq(as) from his father Mohammed Al-Baqir(as) from his father Ali Zaynul Abedeen(as) from his father , the martyr of Kerbala(as) from his father Ali ibn Abu Talib(as) saying :

"My loved one, and the pleasure of my eyes, the Messenger of God (pbuh) told me once, that Jibrail told him from the Lord "The kalima of LA ILAHA ILLALLAH is my fort; whoever said it would enter my fort; and whoever entered my fort was safe from my punishment".

Those who wrote down the hadith numbered twenty thousand. People started reciting the Kalima when Imam put his hand up and continued:

"Yes, the kalima is Allah's fort. It will provide you with excellent safety but on one condition only and that is that you obey and follow us"

• Forum Administrators

I took my shahada on 31JL10 at the Zainabiya Imambargah in Hazelwood, Missouri USA.

My brothers and sisters in Islam at Zainabiya Imambargah have treated me with great hospitality and understanding!

(bismillah)

(salam)

Congratulations Brother Rich! 31JL10 will be a date you never forget!

BTW, I've never seen the date written that way. Can you explain?

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

Congratulations Brother Rich! 31JL10 will be a date you never forget!

BTW, I've never seen the date written that way. Can you explain?

I typed the date wrong, I meant to type 31JUL10. Sorry.

Most Americans would have typed 07/31/10, but due to my time in the US Navy, I picked up the habit of typing or writing my dates in the format seen in my post. I trust this clears up any confusion I may have caused.

• Forum Administrators

I typed the date wrong, I meant to type 31JUL10. Sorry.

Most Americans would have typed 07/31/10, but due to my time in the US Navy, I picked up the habit of typing or writing my dates in the format seen in my post. I trust this clears up any confusion I may have caused.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Brother Rich, no need to be sorry. Actually I think you have started something new with that shortened date. Think of all the time saved not typing one extra letter in the month. Not to mention all the ink saved on printed paper from that extra letter. :D I totally understood that 31JL10 was July but the layout of the date was surprising and I thought that is so unique. Thank you for explaining it. Congratulations again. Praying for you, your wife and kids. Well, all your family. ws

• Advanced Member

@ RISTL

Brother in religion, would you share with us on how did you come to the true path.

Lots of Congratulations.

Wow. blush.gif

Could not stop myself from saying that.

Allahumma sallay Ala Muhammad Wa Alehi Muhmmad.

• Advanced Member

There have been some requests for my reversion story, so I will post it for those interested. I will start with my religious background and events leading up to my reversion. I was raised in a German/Italian, Roman Catholic family and went to Catholic Schools for part of my primary and secondary education. In my teen years I fell away from Roman Catholicism and slipped into what I call "agnostic deist". I was not quite sure if God existed and if He did, then He did not have anything to do with creation any longer. During my time in the military I became a neo-pagan and a hedonist; I had totally fallen away from anything I was raised to believe and felt hatred for Christians and the supposed oppression they brought upon the western world. I learned over a couple of years that neo-paganism was not proving to be a true religion or way of life, so I ended up looking into the "eastern" religion of Buddhism, which it did not take me long to discover I did not buy into it either. So, after my time in the military I turned to Protestant Christianity upon the advice of my wife who was raised in a non-denominational Christian family type situation and once again I did not find solid truth, so I started my search once again. I found Orthodox Christianity and became a member of the Russian Orthodox Church, this was a truly eye opening experience! The Orthodox have a different outlook on many things in Christianity and have stuck more closely to the teachings of the early church fathers and ecumenical councils. I really thought I had found The Truth until I started to read the Qu'ran, Books on Islamic History and hadith. I did not start reading these books with the intent of looking for a new religion, this was more of a curiosity into what makes Muslims so different from the rest of humanity. Being Orthodox, Islam was the foe that crushed Constantinople and holds Hagio Sophia and the Ecumenical Patriarch hostage, so I did not go into this research with a positive view of Islam. I have typed too much as it is, so I will cut it short. Based on what I read and later experienced by visiting masjids in the local area, I ended up deciding to become a Muslim and submit my will to the Will of Allah (swt).

Not exactly a glamorous story and kind of embarrassing, but everything seems to happen for a reason, so I will trust in Allah (swt).

My wife and children still attend the Russian Orthodox Church, but she does not discourage me from Islam and even likes many of the things I have shared with her about Islam, but she will not deny Jesus as the Christ and Son of God as Christians believe he is.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

What a magnificent journey! RIngs true to the Qur'anic words of Allah guides whomsoever He wishes! InshAllah your family will also see Islam as you see it, but that can only be done with the grace of Allah swt. The best tactic I would take is to practise in such a way that they are the ones that ask you questions, rather than the other way round!

• Advanced Member

There have been some requests for my reversion story, so I will post it for those interested. I will start with my religious background and events leading up to my reversion. I was raised in a German/Italian, Roman Catholic family and went to Catholic Schools for part of my primary and secondary education. In my teen years I fell away from Roman Catholicism and slipped into what I call "agnostic deist". I was not quite sure if God existed and if He did, then He did not have anything to do with creation any longer. During my time in the military I became a neo-pagan and a hedonist; I had totally fallen away from anything I was raised to believe and felt hatred for Christians and the supposed oppression they brought upon the western world. I learned over a couple of years that neo-paganism was not proving to be a true religion or way of life, so I ended up looking into the "eastern" religion of Buddhism, which it did not take me long to discover I did not buy into it either. So, after my time in the military I turned to Protestant Christianity upon the advice of my wife who was raised in a non-denominational Christian family type situation and once again I did not find solid truth, so I started my search once again. I found Orthodox Christianity and became a member of the Russian Orthodox Church, this was a truly eye opening experience! The Orthodox have a different outlook on many things in Christianity and have stuck more closely to the teachings of the early church fathers and ecumenical councils. I really thought I had found The Truth until I started to read the Qu'ran, Books on Islamic History and hadith. I did not start reading these books with the intent of looking for a new religion, this was more of a curiosity into what makes Muslims so different from the rest of humanity. Being Orthodox, Islam was the foe that crushed Constantinople and holds Hagio Sophia and the Ecumenical Patriarch hostage, so I did not go into this research with a positive view of Islam. I have typed too much as it is, so I will cut it short. Based on what I read and later experienced by visiting masjids in the local area, I ended up deciding to become a Muslim and submit my will to the Will of Allah (swt).

Congratulations :)

Edited by Fida wal muqawamah

• Advanced Member

Not exactly a glamorous story and kind of embarrassing, but everything seems to happen for a reason, so I will trust in Allah (swt).

My wife and children still attend the Russian Orthodox Church, but she does not discourage me from Islam and even likes many of the things I have shared with her about Islam, but she will not deny Jesus as the Christ and Son of God as Christians believe he is.

Alhamdulillah, congratulations quite inspiring you didn't go looking but you ending up finding the right path.

• Basic Members

Asalamu alaykum brother, congratulations!

Our stories are very similar, I was brought up Roman Catholic and my faith in the church faltered in my teen years. I spent a lot of time researching other religions and recently all that payed off and I converted to Islam. I don't know what has drawn you to Shia Islam but for me it was the beautiful examples of the lives of the Ahayl Bayt and the sacrifices they made for Islam.

Just curious is that Rich from St. Louis or Seattle? or something else? lol

Edited by tomislam

• Advanced Member

bismillah.gif

salam.gif

Dear Brother Rich,

Welcome to your newly Discovered Life, Welcome to the world and after world and most impportantly welcome to the Truth of Existence and anything that a Creature Desires.

May Allah help you to be a great Muslim and may you be the inspiration and hope for many more to join behind you.

Ameen.

I'm very deeply impressed by your journey to find the ultimate answer to your thirst for the truth and the true Creator, may HE keep you safe and ever more knowledgable logically and souly.

I thank the people who you have mentioned about guiding you to this historical and monumental stage of self acclaimation. More than happy that you chose a branch of Islam that is the only true path remaining without any adultration and changes from the original message as given to us by Mohammad (pbuh) and His Progeny (as)CONGRATULATIONS to you...Lead by example and your family shall follow Insha Allah...

Be more humble and more kind and within no time they shall join you in the Haq way..or the true way of life Insha Allah

• Advanced Member

ALHAMDULILLAH & MASHAALLAH & JAZAKALLAH & WOW!

• Advanced Member

Welcome to Islam, brother. How is your Ramadhan going?

Thanks for asking! So far Ramadan has been a challenge. My job requires me to work outdoors during the heat of the day, so I spend my day and evening thirsty and sometimes a little dizzy from dehydration. I don't notice the hunger over the extreme thirst, so at least I'm blessed to not notice the hunger. I was used to fasting from Orthodox Christianity, so it is not a completely new experience to me; what is new though is the avoidance of water during a fast, except on Good Friday when I would fast for 24 hours from food and water. The experience of Ramadan certainly causes one to focus on self control and allows time to inventory one's thoughts and deeds. Inshallah I will complete Ramadan successfully.

Asalamu alaykum brother, congratulations!

Our stories are very similar, I was brought up Roman Catholic and my faith in the church faltered in my teen years. I spent a lot of time researching other religions and recently all that payed off and I converted to Islam. I don't know what has drawn you to Shia Islam but for me it was the beautiful examples of the lives of the Ahayl Bayt and the sacrifices they made for Islam.

Just curious is that Rich from St. Louis or Seattle? or something else? lol

I live in the St. Louis, Missouri area.

I came to be Shia after reading some books I purchased through Shia organizations as well as some reading online. The case for the succession of Imam Ali is very strong, if not air tight, so I had to follow the next logical course of action which was to become Shia. Also the lives of Ahayl Bayt are a great example and very inspiring, so that played a role in my choice as well. When someone impugns Ahayl Bayt whether on purpose or out of ignorance I have a strong feeling to defend Ahayl Bayt and the Shia.

• Advanced Member

Salam Brother Rich, May Allah (swt) bless you in this world and the hereafter!

I've also found that Orthodox Christians have a unique take on many things. Aside from the whole Constantinople thing, they are probably the closest to Islam out of the big Christian sects. Their main beef is with the Turks, they need to know that not all Muslims agree with what the Ottomans did, in fact they were persecuting Shia Muslims left and right. What's also interesting is that Shia Islam and the Orthodox Christians both have a large esoteric current and appreciation of mystery and deep spirituality, whereas Catholics, Protestants, and most Sunnis lack it entirely. Their clergy also have beards like our scholars, major props there bcz they're not simply pop-preachers changing with whatever the wind blows :lol: I know our egyptian Sunni brothers as well as all of Western christianity know what I'm talking about :P

Congrats on your reversion. I myself was atheist before I reverted, basically thought all religions were ignorant and anti-science like protestant fundamentalism. Until I read the Qur'an, the miracles and even the ethics of it just seemed to click straight into place, a lot more than original sin and trinity and Paul's command to support even tyrannical leaders. Then I saw that Qur'an has a lot of beautiful metaphors and Sunnis and Wahhabis take them all too literally, accusing us of heresy for NOT taking them all 100% literally, even though doing so makes for a self-contradictory interpretation and only feeds the Islamophobic fire. The truly literal meanings and the metaphorical meanings only fit perfectly in harmony when understood through the creed of Ahlul-bayt - and it's a VERY smooth, consistent, understandable creed. Which is the same un-diluted creed that the Prophet (saw) taught.

Then I found out that there's only one TRUE Shia school (Ithna ashari) approved by the Imams (contrary to western history's "pluralist" version of events) and that it's as old as Islam itself, whereas there were hundreds of Sunni schools that came and went all over the place, spun off by countless wayward Sahaba or Tabi'een, and the present four schools and three creeds of sunnis were only finalized about 250 years after the Hijrah. This finally convinced me that Shia Islam is the true, time-tested, and ORIGINAL Islam - one school, one creed, straight from the Family of the Prophet - but still has plenty of room for research and informed opinions. And not in any way lacking in the spiritual experience. After reading some good shia books on Irfan, I actually saw no point to Sufism.

Edited by Shia Shahid

• Advanced Member

MashAllah brother, welcome to Islam! I'm also a revert (of 2 years), although I was raised as an Evangelical (Protestant) Christian. I was very religious and steadfast in my faith up through college, but then I started having questions about the true identity of Jesus (as). I thought my questions could never be solved though, and decided not to become a missionary as I had originally planned - since I thought it would be hypocritical trying to convince others that my path was right while I still had questions of my own.

It wasn't until the end of my graduate studies that I first encountered Islam - walked into my very first classroom teaching experience with a room full of Arab Muslims, and realized I knew absolutely nothing about them. I started reading up on it, and even befriended a few Muslims who started discussing religion with me. I was deadset on converting them to Christianity, but alhamdilulah, by the grace of God, I ended up converting instead. :) In my earnestness to convert them, I began pouring over a book written by Biblical scholars tackling the tough issues regarding the Bible (so I could answer their tough questions!), and was entirely unconvinced and found the explanations illogical and based on far too many assumptions and little evidence. At the same time, I was becoming very attracted to the Ahl Bait (as), as my Muslim friends were Shia. I was amazed at the Prophet's (saws) kind, compassionate family with such amazing wisdom (especially Imam Ali, (as)... it caused me a great deal of confusion - how could some other 'invalid' religion be full of such purity, morality, wisdom, and truth? Very early on, before I had any actual interest in Islam other than finding what was wrong with it, I had thought to myself that if I had to choose, I would definitely pick Shia over Sunni, partly because of the Ahl Bait, and also because what I had already researched about Islam that I had found to be illogical and seemingly 'man-made' was from Sunni Islam. After reading Nahjul Balagha and the Quran, I was completely convinced. I did some more research into the sects as I wanted to be thoroughly sure, and found the decision to be incredibly clear and easy.

The detailed version of my story is in my signature line (also my blog).

I used to live near St. Louis - in Jefferson City, actually. It sounds like you've found a community there, which is great. InshAllah your Ramadhan will be easy and a great blessing to you. I also hope that your wife and family will accept your new beliefs, and will also be attracted to the Ahl Bait, just as you were.

Edited by sukaina_08

• Advanced Member

Very early on, before I had any actual interest in Islam other than finding what was wrong with it, I had thought to myself that if I had to choose, I would definitely pick Shia over Sunni, partly because of the Ahl Bait, and also because what I had already researched about Islam that I had found to be illogical and seemingly 'man-made' was from Sunni Islam.

That's to be expected when you're the hand-picked "state sect" of absolute dictators for 1400 years. You think you're orthodoxy since the whole establishment says you are.

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Rich from St Louis, Congratulations!! You are now a Muslim (though I think you were a Muslim long before your conversion). This should be the happiest day of your life because you have arrived to your destination. Your soul-searching days are over.

The most wonderful thing about your conversion is that you came directly to the Shia faith.

The case for the succession of Imam Ali is very strong, if not air tight, so I had to follow the next logical course of action which was to become Shia. Also the lives of Ahayl Bayt are a great example and very inspiring, so that played a role in my choice as well. When someone impugns Ahayl Bayt whether on purpose or out of ignorance I have a strong feeling to defend Ahayl Bayt and the Shia.

They are perfect examples and role models for us. They live and die, in a state of complete submission to Allah swt and his messenger. It’s because of them that the true Islam is alive. It’s because of them Prophet’s traditions are remembered.

Thank you for posting your reversion story.