Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
JawzofDETH

The Ideal 21st Century Shi'ite Muslim

Rate this topic

I think the ideal 21st century Muslim, Christian, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist and so forth does value diversity, freedom of thought and critical thinking.

--------------------------

Education is key as a holistic, transparent, dialog-oriented process --Queen Rania Al Abdullah

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people --Eleanor Roosevelt

I am new to this site and I think this is such an interesting topic.

With regards to the university or HS student, I would like to add that he/she should also try to take classes pertaining to islamic studies in their educational institution, as it is important to know how basic imformation about islam is studied/taught in the west.

I found the information about the ideal technology (especially computers) very interesting to learn about as it is such a huge part of our lives. Could someone perhaps give more suggestions on this, such as what are the ideal phones, mp3 players, etc?

thanxs for posting this bro. This bring up a question. I dont listen to the news at all- does that mean i dont keep in touch with fellow sis/bro around the world and is it haram? Its just say you listen to the news and get upset by everythin happening in iraq, palestine etc? whats next? i dont know how i can help besides giving charity offcourse.

thanxs for posting this bro. This bring up a question. I dont listen to the news at all- does that mean i dont keep in touch with fellow sis/bro around the world and is it haram? Its just say you listen to the news and get upset by everythin happening in iraq, palestine etc? whats next? i dont know how i can help besides giving charity offcourse.

To answer your question: The Holy Prophet (pbuh) said that the muslim who awakens without concern for the plight of his brethren is not one of them. Thus it must be stressed the seriousness of the matter, I know exactly what you mean and feel about it, but as with one of my family members watching the news was causing him severe insomnia and stress-attacks, in such a case of course one's health comes first. Do what you can and thats what you will offer to Allah (SWT) when you meet him, He is most forgiving and accepting.

Insha'Allah there is so much I needed to say about this topic, soon insha'Allah I will continue with it, 1 of 3 threads I've been meaning to create has to do with this issue.

Was-Salaam to all

:!!!:Hahahaa....goth during Muharram! :!!!:

JawzofDETH you are hilarious, the ideal Shia man? So what is the ideal Sunni man then? :squeez:

Yeah but I like this description:

It was not to make him look like a geek, a moulana or a peacenik,

nay, it was to show that he is all those things at the best of times!

He is a nerd, a hacker, a code-monkey at the desk,

He is a Che' Guevara-wannabe, always in a dispute in favour of human-rights and basic-needs for all,

He is a peacenik/ eco-terrorist on enviromental issues,

He is like a goth during Muharram, he never cracks a smile (hmm, maybe not),

He is a warm-loving father to his children and a caring husband,

He is a irritating skeptical cynic when conversing with athiests,

He is an understanding and kind voice of reason with people of the book,

He is a teacher, he is a student, an avid reader and clear-minded,

He is a political analyst, an economist, a student of medicine,

He is the one that never goes with the flow, the dunya chases him like a suitor and serenades him every-night,

People who KNOW him love his company, most people don't get him though.

That's all I can think of for now.

---

I wish to convey:

Shi'ite Islam is activism in motion, a creed of do'ers.

Every day is Ashurah, Every Land is Karbala.

An ideal shi'i treads lightly upon the earth, but leaves a heavy foot-print.

I agee with you, anyone who is following the example set down by Imam Ali as and the Ahlul Bayt would have certain general traits that would manifest in set ways at all times...I often imagine what Imam Ali as would be like if he as lived in today's world...or 100 years ago...etc. I get all the eco-friendly stuff, we are the walis of earth right?

In all seriousness:

tabatabai_allamah2.jpg

My notion of the ideal shia man :yaali:

Honestly, in my humble opinion, I don't think any scholar is the ideal Shia man. I don't think going off to a hawzah for X amount of years makes you the ideal man...somehow many people see these scholars in ivory towers as ideal people but to eb divorced from hard edge reality is the worst fate...

The ideal "Shia" man in this postmodern day and age (to me) is the man who has an honest job and still manages to have time for himself, his family and Allah swt; because he is "in the world" he can offer supportive advice and help to his collegues and his knowledge and wisdom grows as a result; his thirst for knowledge, learning and wisdom is never satisfied.

Honestly, in my humble opinion, I don't think any scholar is the ideal Shia man. I don't think going off to a hawzah for X amount of years makes you the ideal man...somehow many people see these scholars in ivory towers as ideal people but to eb divorced from hard edge reality is the worst fate...

The ideal "Shia" man in this postmodern day and age (to me) is the man who has an honest job and still manages to have time for himself, his family and Allah swt; because he is "in the world" he can offer supportive advice and help to his collegues and his knowledge and wisdom grows as a result; his thirst for knowledge, learning and wisdom is never satisfied.

What, in your opinion, is the ideal "Shia" Woman ?

:!!!:Hahahaa....goth during Muharram! :!!!:

JawzofDETH you are hilarious, the ideal Shia man? So what is the ideal Sunni man then? :squeez:

I was an ahle-sunnah-wal-jamaati once, you don't really want to know what that would be like. :)

Anyways, I would prefer if you didn't see in terms of ideal man or woman, of-course I wrote from

a man's perspective, but I'd like to hear from the sisters what would be the female persona of

a 21st Century Shi'i. (Oh, like the brother above suggested as well)

I get all the eco-friendly stuff, we are the walis of earth right?

Indeed.

Edited by JawzofDETH

Hmm the ideal Shia Muslim

Firstly i think that it has nothing to do with employment, because society need everyone (we cant all be sheikhs or all be lawyers)

So here are the qualities

1) Unresolved faith in Allah

2) Performs all wajibaat

3) Contributes to the betterment of society

4) Promotes Islam

5) Has the ability to think and doesnt accept things blindly

6) Doesnt get bogged down about the minute details of Islam

7) Is entrepreneurial

theres probably more but i cant think right now

Hmm the ideal Shia Muslim

Firstly i think that it has nothing to do with employment, because society need everyone (we cant all be sheikhs or all be lawyers)

So here are the qualities

1) Unresolved faith in Allah

2) Performs all wajibaat

3) Contributes to the betterment of society

4) Promotes Islam

5) Has the ability to think and doesnt accept things blindly

6) Doesnt get bogged down about the minute details of Islam

7) Is entrepreneurial

theres probably more but i cant think right now

Bro, can you explain point 6 to me, I think I get what you saying, but I am not too sure.