In the Name of God بسم الله

Is It Haram To Use Lynx Or Aftershave >?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

(salam),

I don't see why consuming alcohol would be equal to applying it on your body; and why the prohibition of the former would also mean the prohibition of the latter.

The real issue is with the impurity (Najasah) of alcohol. But according to Ayatullah Sistani and Ayatullah Khoei, industrial alcohol is pure (so there's no problem is using things which have industrial alcohol in them as long as you don't consume them):

39. All kinds of alcohol (whether extracted from wood or other sources) is pure, not najis. So, the medicines, the perfumes, and the food containing alcohol are pure and can be used...

http://sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&nid=2&bid=53&pid=2246

Question: Is Ethanol of the family of alcohol that causes drunkenness? What about using this and other families of alcohol that are synthesized from petroleum and are used in perfume, medicine etc? Are they najis and cannot be used during prayer?

Answer: According to Grand Ayatullah Sistani alcohol is taher (ritually clean) but it is not permissible to drink it. Using perfume and medicines mixed with alcohol is permissible.

Question: What is the fatwa regarding the use of perfumes on which it is "alcoholic"? Are these kinds of perfumes Najis and is it permissible to use them?

Answer: Such perfumes are clean and it is permissible to use them.

Question: What is the ruling concerning the alcohol found in some dental products like mouthwash and others?

Answer: It is clean.

http://sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&nid=5&cid=405

Question: Is salat valid if the person uses cologne? Is cologne ritually pure?

Answer: Yes, it is pure and salat in it is correct.

Question: What is your order about using perfume containing alcohol?

Answer: There is no problem in it.

http://sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&nid=5&cid=437

However, I'm pretty sure this is a controversial issue, and not all Maraji' agree that industrial alcohol is pure (if I remember correctly Ayatullah Bashir Najafi disagrees). So in the end, do what your Marja says, or practise ihtiyat, stay on the safe side and avoid all such things.

wa (salam)

• 2 months later...

(salam),

I don't see why consuming alcohol would be equal to applying it on your body; and why the prohibition of the former would also mean the prohibition of the latter.

The real issue is with the impurity (Najasah) of alcohol. But according to Ayatullah Sistani and Ayatullah Khoei, industrial alcohol is pure (so there's no problem is using things which have industrial alcohol in them as long as you don't consume them):

However, I'm pretty sure this is a controversial issue, and not all Maraji' agree that industrial alcohol is pure (if I remember correctly Ayatullah Bashir Najafi disagrees). So in the end, do what your Marja says, or practise ihtiyat, stay on the safe side and avoid all such things.

wa (salam)

sorry, did ayatullah sistani say that we can have medicines which are mixed with alcohol ?? .... the Imams (as) forbade this and said there is no cure in alcohol :o

• Advanced Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

sorry, did ayatullah sistani say that we can have medicines which are mixed with alcohol ?? .... the Imams (as) forbade this and said there is no cure in alcohol :o

There's a difference between the alcohol in beer, wine, etc and the alcohol in cologne, hand sanitizer, etc

The people who make cologne aren't pouring bottles of whiskey into their cologne lol; it's a different type of alcohol.

For example, hand sanitizers contain "alcohol", yet it is halal, correct?

was salam

• Veteran Member

(bismillah)

(salam)

There's a difference between the alcohol in beer, wine, etc and the alcohol in cologne, hand sanitizer, etc

The people who make cologne aren't pouring bottles of whiskey into their cologne lol; it's a different type of alcohol.

For example, hand sanitizers contain "alcohol", yet it is halal, correct?

was salam

(bismillah)

Industrial Alcohol is not najis as per the rulings derived by Sayed Sistani, Sayed Khamenei, Sayed Khoei (ÑÍãÉ Çááå Úáíåã) and most other maraaja'

(salam)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

(salam),

wa (salam)

This is a useful thread and thanks for providing the useful link.

This is exactly the question I wanted to ask.

Thanks !

• 3 years later...