Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Irishman

Kosovo Independence Not Illegal, Says Un Court

Rate this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10730573

Also looks like Kosovo needs to be recognised by at least 100 countries for full statehood. Most countries were previously neutral on it, but some recognised it and some did not.

http://www.kosovothanksyou.com/news/?p=415'>http://www.kosovothanksyou.com/news/?p=415

Among the countries that have filed written statements, 21 have recognized and 14 including Serbia have not recognized the Independence of Kosovo.

Countries that have recognized Kosovo (21): Albania, Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, Latvia, Maldives, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sierra Leone, Slovenia, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America.

Countries that have not recognized Kosovo (14): Argentina, Azerbaijan, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Cyprus, Egypt, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Iran.

Suprised to see some Muslims countries not recognising Kosovo, but I guess they are afraid of upsetting the Russian's.

More countries have recognised it since. Looks like 69 countries now, including Afghanistan, Saudi, UAE, Turkey, Bahrain, Jordan.

http://www.kosovothanksyou.com/

Kosovo was part of former Uguslavia wasn't it? Anyways I recognise it as a country. I remember my Kosovan neighbours on their independance day. They were wearing t-shirts of their flag and they were really happy lol. Can't believe Iran doesn't recognise Kosovo as a country, obviously they're trying to impress the Russians!

Iran, Bosnia, and Croatia, have not recognized this state, and for significant reasons. No, has nothing to do with the Russians at all.

It has to do with THE SERBIANS.

Yes, that's right. If Bosnia recognizes Kosovo as a nation. Then Serbia will influence Eastern Bosnia, and recognize Republika Srpska entity as part of Serbia, and make it a province of Serbia.

They will create an opportunity for Serbia to get more land (Eastern Bosnia).

Croatia's reason, I'm not sure, because Montenegro, had the audacity to recognize Kosovo, which I thought was ludicrous.

You have Croatia which borders some of Serbia, perhaps they are afraid of war or something. Then you have Montenegro, which have their own unique Serbian sub culture, much like Moldova is to Romania.

These guys out of nowhere recognize Kosovo as an independent state, despite being ethnically, culturally, historically affiliated with Serbia, compared to the rest of the 6-7 former states of Yugoslavia.

Thought that was interesting to point out.

Iran and other nations probably want to appease Serbia, because of economical relationships. Iran has ties with Serbia, buys things from them, and they buy things from Iran, despite religious-political differences (Bosnian War/genocide).

As far as I know, historically speaking. Iran never recognizes separatists states that are newly created. Like Kosovo, Abkhazia, Ossetia, etc. I think it tries its best to avoid these affairs, to establish relations with those conflicting countries on both sides.

Kosovo was part of former Uguslavia wasn't it? Anyways I recognise it as a country. I remember my Kosovan neighbours on their independance day. They were wearing t-shirts of their flag and they were really happy lol. Can't believe Iran doesn't recognise Kosovo as a country, obviously they're trying to impress the Russians!

Yeah, it is strange as these articles point out. It goes slightly futher than not even recognising, but actually supporting Serbia's rights over Kosovo. Very strange, and all for trade deals that only measure in the $40m range.

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/iran-times-international-washington-dc/mi_7782/is_52_38/iran-plans-free-trade-pact/ai_n35443009/

Iran plans to sign a free trade agreement with Serbia, despite its long history of repression of Muslims.

Serbian Economy Minister Mladjan Dinkic met Friday with an Iranian delegation led by Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki.

The Economy Ministry then issued a statement saying, "We are planning to sign a free trade agreement with Iran that foresees a significant liberalization of trade that will enable an increase in mutual trade."

Dinkic said Serbian exports to Iran last year totaled $40 million, which was 2 1/2 times more than in 2007.

Iran and Serbia have had very warm relations this decade despite hostilities in the 1990s. This seems to reflect two developments: Serbia's difficult relations with the West; and Russia's heavy emphasis on support for Serbia and Serbian causes.

In so doing, however, Iran has chosen to ignore Serbia's long history of repression of Muslims. Serbians opposed an independent Bosnian state with a Muslim-led government in the 1990s. Serbia armed Serbian ethnic fighters in Bosnia while Iran helped the Bosniac Muslims.

More recently, Serbia tried to keep hold of the province of Kosovo, which has an overwhelming Muslim majority. The United States and the European Union supported Kosovo and now recognize its independence--which Serbia and Russia denounce as illegal.

The Islamic Republic never supported the Kosovars and instead publicly supported Serbia's claims to rule the Muslims in Kosovo. Iran still does not recognize Kosovo's independence, despite claims to be the key defender of Muslim rights throughout the world.

No one in the Iranian media was seen to raise any questions about the ethics of signing a free trade pact with a regime that has such a bad record of repressing Muslims.

http://www.serbianna.com/blogs/newspost/?p=1566

Serbian Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic said that Iran is one of the countries that strongly supports Serbia and its efforts to keep sovereignty in Kosovo.

“The main topic with the Iranian counterpart was the continuation of our diplomatic efforts aimed at preserving Kosovo within Serbia,” Jeremic said.

Jeremic said that Iran’s support was extremely important in the Islamic world.

Irishman, I agree with you about the contradiction. However, I think Albanians as a nation and people, are not the type of Islamic country, Iran would want to support in the first place. They are part of that NATO influence, and as people in general, they tend to be the worst Muslims. Even many Turks, and other Muslims I've talked to, see Albanians as crooks etc. With Kosovo banning the hijab, it will only further distance itself from Iran. I think it's very hard to put Albania and Iran on one line, I think they both are very distant from one another. On the other hand I believe relations with Bosnia are ok with Iran.

Irishman, I agree with you about the contradiction. However, I think Albanians as a nation and people, are not the type of Islamic country, Iran would want to support in the first place. They are part of that NATO influence, and as people in general, they tend to be the worst Muslims. Even many Turks, and other Muslims I've talked to, see Albanians as crooks etc. With Kosovo banning the hijab, it will only further distance itself from Iran. I think it's very hard to put Albania and Iran on one line, I think they both are very distant from one another. On the other hand I believe relations with Bosnia are ok with Iran.

The only reason why they're not that religious is due to the fact that they were a communist country with religion being banned. Seriously, my mum has a lot of albanian collegues and they said this is one of reasons why we're not that religious.

Hawraa, the same can be said of Bosnia and Azerbaijan. But how come, they've got a lot of people converting back to Islam, and slowly going back to mosques?? I've met a lot of Bosnian friends, whose parents went back after Yugoslavia's demise and continued learning Islamic ways, prayers and everything. Now it's up to the children whether or not they'll continue. But I think, Albanians, no offense, just enjoy the western way of life more than Islam. I think Islam in Albania one day or another, will be nothing more than a symbol.

One of the reasons Albanians converted to Islam, was just to give the Ottomans an excuse, to differentiate them from the Greeks, who spoke a language that had similar grammar etc. With a reason of this nature, assuming its true, would reflect that Albanians used Islam for other purposes.