Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Muslims Unite

Where Are Shia Muslims In Nsw?

Good evening all.

Soon I will be leaving Southern NSW to begin working in Sydney (most probably). My company has given the option of declaring several areas where I'd like to work at so I was wondering, what areas feature Shia Muslims more heavily? I am aware the St George area has a lot of Muslims but any where else? Also, keep in mind that I'd love an area to begin a family so even though there may be Muslims in the area, if there is a high crime rate/low education level, please let me know.

Also, a 'Shia Mosque' would be lovley :)

I trust your advice.

Good evening all.

Soon I will be leaving Southern NSW to begin working in Sydney (most probably). My company has given the option of declaring several areas where I'd like to work at so I was wondering, what areas feature Shia Muslims more heavily? I am aware the St George area has a lot of Muslims but any where else? Also, keep in mind that I'd love an area to begin a family so even though there may be Muslims in the area, if there is a high crime rate/low education level, please let me know.

I trust your advice.

Although its quitee expensive, the stgeorge area is probably the lowest crime area where you have signifiant muslim (lebanese shia) concentration in Sydney, however this is nothing to brag about because its probably the best out of a bad bunch. Apart from that i think Auburn might be the only other area with a shia (iraqi) concentration, all the rest are probably scattered around Western sydney.

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

In the Name of God, The Most Beneficent, The most Merciful

Salaam 3leykoum,

Umm...well generally speaking, most of the Muslim population in the whole of Sydney are scattered through the Western part of sydney. More particularly though, Earlwood has a good shi'a population with a beautiful mosque there too. Um...hmmm...hard to pin point any area, but also as mentioned above Auburn has an extremely high Muslim population, but kinda a dodgy area. It has lots of Turks and Lebs there too. Umm...Parramatta has a lot of Muslims, not a lot of them Shi'a, but nice Muslims yes, but again a dodgy area. Towards the western side, there are a lot of dodgy areas, it's sorta like the middle or lower middle class, mainly the clean nice areas are in the north shore of sydney, places liek st.ives, hornsby, etc. But they literally have like NO Muslim population unfortunately.

Again just re-iterating most Muslims are scattered throughout the West. PM me if you have any more questions.

Salaam 3leykoum.

Good evening all.

I trust your advice.

Brother, perhaps you should be asking, where is there no shia muslims in sydney hehe.

Alhamdulillah Sydney has a huge Muslim population.

Areas with a lot of Muslims are mainly St. George area & Parramatta/Auburn area.

To be honest, they are both generally very safe areas. Of course, that is not to say there is no crime there. But even a 10 year can feel safe walking to and from school and the shops.

Choosing where to live actually really depends on other factors as opposed to crime. For example, price/rent of house, proximity to Islamic centres/Mosques, proximity to a good academic school (there is no such thing as a school where moral upbringing of the child is guaranteed as it depends on parents upbringing and parental intervention on peer selection, unless of course it's a Muslim school then moral upbringing can be better expected), proximity to transportation and shops, proximity to family members or the community, a more affluent neighbourhood, etcetera.

Or it could be that you want to live far away from certain people :] (as was the case with us hehe).

ps if you have facebook, join the "Shias in Australia" group and you can get a lot of info on the whereabouts of the mosques.

ooh, and welcome to Sydney!!

..my passion, my love.

Alternatively, feel free to message me and I will be more than glad to help. I have lived in Sydney for 17 years and can give you all the details you want.

..mainly the clean nice areas are in the north shore of sydney, places liek st.ives, hornsby, etc. But they literally have like NO Muslim population unfortunately.

hey come on!!

i'm from hornsby and i could swear i know a muslim family there hehe

Thanks a lot guys!

I have been looking at apartments all over including east, north and west of Sydney and I'm quite taken back by how expensive it is to rent. I'm only in my early 20s but am a very good spender and insh'Allah will manage while I'm still single. I have taken the advice and have been looking in areas such as St George.

Am I correct in saying that a decent two bedroom apartment/unit would be roughly $350 rent/week?

Rent is very expensive in Sydney. If you get a decent 2 bedder apartment for only $350 you'd be very very lucky! Jump onto it straight away.

I'd suggest areas like Kingsgrove or Beverly Hills which have a station as well as Masjid Arrahman not too far away. Do you need to have a station close by? If not check out Roselands too. These areas are on the cusp of the St.george area and fairly decent and I think not as expensive - although I think its all evening out.. Beverly Hills etc are becoming more expensive becayse of their relative proximity to the M5.

Hope this helps, all the best