Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Meisam786110

Can I Pray In English ?

Rate this topic

Yea yeah , I already know the answer ... NO!

But why? Why can't I pray in english ..? What, is arabic the chosen language of God ? Why can't I just recite the translation of the Quran? And it won't really change the meaning as such ..

How is it fair for every race to just start learning to recite arabic in their prayer which is foreign to them and spiritually grow in the salah whilst making mistakes in recitation? Why can't they use their own language ... It's hard to suddenly start speaking Arabic because accents vary alot and it just can't come out rite for some people no matter how hard they try.

So yh, I'd like to hear what your answer is x

thx

But why? Why can't I pray in english ..? What, is arabic the chosen language of God ? Why can't I just recite the translation of the Quran? And it won't really change the meaning as such ..

How is it fair for every race to just start learning to recite arabic in their prayer which is foreign to them and spiritually grow in the salah whilst making mistakes in recitation? Why can't they use their own language ... It's hard to suddenly start speaking Arabic because accents vary alot and it just can't come out rite for some people no matter how hard they try.

thx

you may not have the best Arabic accent, but Allah knows best those who strive. just try your best and inshaAllah it will be accepted.

Salam sister,

First off, I have heard that converts can say it in their language until they get the hang of arabic,but I'm not sure if that is a fact or not. You could refer the question to a scholar.

Second, I believe the reason that salat must be recited in arabic is that it is a Divinely inspired mode of prayer taught by the Holy Prophet(pbuh) and the (most) of the speech in prayer is from a divine source.

I do understand your problem,I am also a non arabic speaker and aa such worry about truly connecting with Allah when I pray, I would recommend that you read up on concentration in prayer, a very good,clear,short book is 'soaring to the only Beloved' it helped me a lot and I still look at it. For more advanced level,try. 'Adab as salat' by Khomeini.

Hope this helped a bit.ws

I'm also pretty sure you can make du'a in any language

I have heard that converts can say it in their language until they get the hang of arabic

The main point with praying is to seek the nearness of our Creator and to show our affection for all His bounties, not to mention it is obligatory. So with that in mind, one can start in their native language. Concentration is the key. It is the "miraaj" of our faith. We must believe during prayer that we are actually standing before God. That is the best kind of prayer. Free from fear of hell or greed of heaven but rather just a ritual and a link between the creature and the Creator. That is the philosophy of it as I've understood.

So, its only logical that a revert may pray in their own language until they learn Arabic. Learning arabic will also be needed later when you get curious about the holy Quran which is revealed in Arabic and no translators have done real justice rather at a certain point they're incapable to do more.

الحسين بن سعيد عن النضر عن عبد الله بن سنان قال قال أبو عبد الله عليه السلام: ان الله فرض من الصلاة الركوع والسجود ألا ترى لو أن رجلا دخل في الاسلام لا يحسن أن يقرأ القرآن اجزأه أن يكبر ويسبح ويصلي

http://www.ali12.com/mybooks/find.php?do=show_reslusts&id=1369&table=table_fiqh_s

Saheeh from al-Hassein ibn Sa'eed, from Al-Nadhir, from 'Abd Allah ibn Sinaan who said: Abu 'AbdAllah عليه السلام said:

Verily Allah has obligated the ruku' and the sujud in salaah, if a man enters Islaam and he does not know how to recite the Qur'an, it is permissible for him to say takbeer (Allahu akbar), and tasbeeh (subhanAllah) and he prays.

Sheikh al-Tusi says:

‎مسألة 94: من يحسن الفاتحة لا يجوز أن يقرأ غيرها، وإن لم يحسن الحمد وجب عليه أن يتعلمها، فإن ضاق عليه الوقت وأحسن غيرها قرأ ما يحسن، فإن لم يحسن شيئا أصلا ذكر الله تعالى وكبره، ولا يقرأ معنى القرآن بغير العربية بأي لغة كان، فإن فعل ذلك لم يكن ذلك قرآنا وكانت صلاته باطلة

http://www.ali12.com/mybooks/find.php?do=show_reslusts&id=460&table=table_fiqh_s

Whoever knows al-Fatihah, it is not permissible for him to recite other than it. And if he does not know al-Fatihah, it is waajib upon him to learn it. And if it is difficult for him due to the time, and he knows another part of the Qur'an, he recites that which he knows. And if he does not know anything, initially he should do dhikr of Allah and say takbeer. And he does not recite the meaning of the Qur'an in other than Arabic, in any language. If he does that, that is not recitation, and his salaah is invalid.

Edited by avjar7

thx

(bismillah)

(salam)

Well, you can try to learn it in arabic, but while learning it you can pray and recitate dhikr(subhanallah,la ilaha il Allah,alhamdolilah and allahu akbar). And I know a way witch will help you to learn quran easy. I don't know if it really works but WOW I learned 4 small surahs (4-6 verses) + a Surah called As Saff witch is 14 verses... + I am can't speak arabic. How to do it? You have to say: Ar rahman - 'alamal quran. Witch means: the mercifu who has learned the mankind quran. I think. So when you have finished you dhikr prayer you should say: Bismillahi rahmani rahim and then ar rahman 'alamal quran 71 times. And if you don't know how to prounounce it. Here is a video witch contains the surah called ar rahman. In the first verse he says: ar rahman alamal quran. so listen to it to know how to pronounce it.

Video:

May Allah (s.w.t) guide you to the light.

(wasalam)

No arabic is not a "special" language.

But we need a common language in order to have order.

Imagine in your neighbourhood you make a dhuhr Jamaat and recite in English ?

Imagine a Malaysian Muslim comes in...

...will he not feel alienated?

Will you not feel separated from the jamaat if you were him?

Now imagine, everyone read in their native language?

Chaos! No Jamaat whatsoever!

This way even if we don't understand, anywhere we are in the world

we are we can participate with utmost confidence and unity.

We don't have to recite like Abdul-Basit, it is intention that reaches Allah anyway.

Regarding your issues:

I suggest you learn the translation of the fixed-arabic parts used in

Salaah, like SubhanaRabbi'Al'Adheem-wa'biHamdihi, Sami'Allahu-limanHamidah, Surah Fatihah etc.

Once you know this, you can say it in arabic and in your mind translate it in english.

This will boost your focus and concentration.

Was-Salaam

Edited by JawzofDETH

Jawzofdeth Thank you , that makes sense ... BUT let's turn the table around .. :

if many foreigners do jamaat Prayer with Arabs who understand the language being recited and you're an absolute foreigner who doesn't understand Arabic then that is unfair too !! That is "chaos" as well .!?

I still haven't been given a reason "WHY" it has to be recited in Arabic , because if a non arabic speaking person enters islam he/she has to pray five times a day which pretty much implements Arabic in your life ... Think about it, if every nation became Muslim today would they all have to pray in Arabic !? All of them ??

Ps . Thanks for the tips, but I can understand and speak Arabic already , praise be to God. I'm just curious and worried about others

Peace

(bismillah)

(salam)

I can understand and speak Arabic already , praise be to God. I'm just curious and worried about others

Don't be.

Bro, you've made this same complaint in several other threads and frankly, you're making a big deal out of nothing and it's rather annoying and demeaning to non-Arabs tbh. 80% of Muslims are not Arab.

Most Muslims do not know Arabic. Yet the overwhelming majority of Iranian, Chinese, American, and Indonesian Muslims have no problem praying in Arabic and feeling spiritually satisfied by it.

Also, it's somewhat insulting to converts tbh. They're not stupid. Most of them can learn the Fatiha in about a month. They can learn it in a couple days if they're really dedicated.

We don't need to split Islam into different cultural groups with each one doing the prayer in their own language. 1 humanity. 1 Ummah.

And i'm sorry for being so harsh, but you've made this complaint over and over and over and you're making a big deal out of nothing. Talk to the converts and non-Arabs on this forum (which is the majority of people on this forum) and ask them if it was really a big deal to learn how to pray in Arabic and whether or not it's a big deal to pray in Arabic.

was salam

Edited by lotfilms

lotfilms , i have to say ... You're right , I'm sorry .. It's just these little things that make me think and I start questioning .. And I didn't mean to demean anyone at all , I was thinking about other people who are new to Arabic and perhaps find it hard to pray on the Lang.

But yh you're rite .. I'll ask people what they feel , good idea ...

I just wish one of the Imams would have explained this query ... :/ perhaps it was never recorded in Hadith :(

Think how much it would disunite muslims if all started to pray on their mother languages?

thx

Having reciation mistakes has nothing to do whit spiritual growft, as being bounded to make mistakes is part of growft as humanbeinjgs.

We are borned as ignorants, and dum. Learning is what you need to do. No worrying about making mistakes.

Edited by Ali Askari

Think of what we are reciting in the (at least) the first and second rak`at of salat. surat al-Fatiha and another sura, that is, we are reciting the Book of Allah, the very words that the Lord of the Universe sent down for our guidance. Were I to "recite" a translation of it, I would not be the words of my Creator, i'd be reciting some human being's interpretation of them. Thus, I would not be reciting the Quran at all. I'd be reciting the words that a Mr. Pckthall, a Mr. Arberry, a Mr. Palmer, etc., chose to represent in another language what they understood it to mean. But not the words of our Lord.

Anyhow, as a non-Arab convert, I can say stop worrying over it. As said above, it's not so hard to memorize, and Muslims whether converts or not, the majority of whom have not had Arabic as their mother tongue, have been doing it for centuries. It isn't a problem, rather it's a plus.

Jawzofdeth Thank you , that makes sense ... BUT let's turn the table around .. :

if many foreigners do jamaat Prayer with Arabs who understand the language being recited and you're an absolute foreigner who doesn't understand Arabic then that is unfair too !! That is "chaos" as well .!?

I still haven't been given a reason "WHY" it has to be recited in Arabic , because if a non arabic speaking person enters islam he/she has to pray five times a day which pretty much implements Arabic in your life ... Think about it, if every nation became Muslim today would they all have to pray in Arabic !? All of them ??

Ps . Thanks for the tips, but I can understand and speak Arabic already , praise be to God. I'm just curious and worried about others

Peace

Well, lets just say, that if I translate a word in my language from arabic, it may imply something different than in your language.

This is a well known phenomenon to people who study languages. Examples all but escape me currently, but I have personally

noted this and I'm sure you'll agree that it is true.

So we can say that since Islam is the language that it was revealed in,

it is the most prestine vehicle to use for it's (pure contextual) preservation.

Was-Salaam

Edited by JawzofDETH

(salam)

1. Arabic is a blessed language - Allah swt testifies in Qur'an

2. Prophets and Imams prayed in Arabic

3. Unity purpose - imagine everyone praying in their own language in Hajj!

No . NOT ALL the prophets prayed in Arabic , are u kidding me ? Prophet Dawud (as) prayed in his own language which was Hebrew ... Not Arabic ! And I can cite so many other examples of other Prophets who never prayed or spoke a word of Arabic .. What did prophet Nuh pray in Arabic ? Not ! He spoke an old ancient language !

The point I'm trying to put across is that all the prophets revealed the message or brought a revelation to their people in THEIR language which they understood ... And they Prayed in that language ! So they understood their prayer without having to study a language like most converts have to do ..

And i'm not undermining Arabic In anyway , it's a wonderful , metriculate language ... But you can't expect every convert to start Implementing Arabic in their life if they have their own language which they may prefer .

W Salam

Prophet Dawud (as) prayed in his own language which was Hebrew ... Not Arabic !

Actually, I think if I have read somewhere that the (newcomer) commonly spoken language at the time of Dawood (as) was aramaic,

but all texts including the Psalms was in Hebrew. So Interestingly enough, that was a time not too dissimmilar to this one,

where many, many muslims (the common man) were not speaking the language of their scripture.

Was-Salaam

No . NOT ALL the prophets prayed in Arabic , are u kidding me ? Prophet Dawud (as) prayed in his own language which was Hebrew ... Not Arabic ! And I can cite so many other examples of other Prophets who never prayed or spoke a word of Arabic .. What did prophet Nuh pray in Arabic ? Not ! He spoke an old ancient language !

The point I'm trying to put across is that all the prophets revealed the message or brought a revelation to their people in THEIR language which they understood ... And they Prayed in that language ! So they understood their prayer without having to study a language like most converts have to do ..

And i'm not undermining Arabic In anyway , it's a wonderful , metriculate language ... But you can't expect every convert to start Implementing Arabic in their life if they have their own language which they may prefer .

W Salam

(salam)

Sorry, I did not mean All Prophets. I am speaking of Hazrat Isa (in the future), Prophet Khidr and our beloved Rasool Allah.

W Salam

Keep in mind, Prophets speak ALL languages, as far as I'm aware. So either way he wouldn't have to learn a language.

And yes I can expect every convert to start implementing Arabic in their lives. Why shouldn't they? Their Lord (swt) asked them to; and seeing how they went through all the trouble to learn a whole new RELIGION, will they allow language to become a barrier between them and their duties towards Allah (swt)?

Also, one thing I'd like to mention is spirituality is not found throughout a single language. Such as knowledge is not only found within English or Arabic. Spirituality is there, and will remain there, whether you speak Arabic or English.

My point is, what makes you so sure that the non-Arab Muslims find it hard to connect to Allah (swt) spiritually during prayers because they do not "understand" or "speak" the language that they are uttering? If they are spiritually connected to Allah (swt) they will always be spiritually connected to Him, whether they were asleep, in prayer, studying, etc. Spirituality is not only found through words, it's found through the heart and it lives within us, not within our language.

I also advise you to change your tone and perception of things. To me it seems like you are questioning Allah's better judgement. Who are you to ask WHY your prayers must be conducted in Arabic? There's a purpose behind everything, like for instance why do you study? It's either to gain knowledge, get a degree, set out your future, or something of some sort. Why do you eat? to absorb the nutritions that your body requires. And so why do you recite your prayers in Arabic? Because Allah (swt) ASKED YOU TO. A true mo'min would do anything that the Creator asks them to do, without any questions or doubts.

I remember a story of one of the Infallible Imams (as). One of the Imams asked their companions to walk into a fire (I'm not sure of what it was, an oven, fireplace, or whatever, point is it had fire in it). The companion did so without any question. A while later, he walked out without a scratch on him. The Imam (as) was testing his companions' obedience and he was showing US, his "followers" the importance of obedience.

One last thing, I can't tell you to not worry about others because I myself find that morally wrong. However, I can say: don't worry about anything that Allah (swt) has made obligatory upon us. He (swt) knows best, does he not?

And I have to completely agree with lotfilms on this one.

Keep in mind, Prophets speak ALL languages, as far as I'm aware. So either way he wouldn't have to learn a language.

And yes I can expect every convert to start implementing Arabic in their lives. Why shouldn't they? Their Lord (swt) asked them to; and seeing how they went through all the trouble to learn a whole new RELIGION, will they allow language to become a barrier between them and their duties towards Allah (swt)?

Also, one thing I'd like to mention is spirituality is not found throughout a single language. Such as knowledge is not only found within English or Arabic. Spirituality is there, and will remain there, whether you speak Arabic or English.

My point is, what makes you so sure that the non-Arab Muslims find it hard to connect to Allah (swt) spiritually during prayers because they do not "understand" or "speak" the language that they are uttering? If they are spiritually connected to Allah (swt) they will always be spiritually connected to Him, whether they were asleep, in prayer, studying, etc. Spirituality is not only found through words, it's found through the heart and it lives within us, not within our language.

I also advise you to change your tone and perception of things. To me it seems like you are questioning Allah's better judgement. Who are you to ask WHY your prayers must be conducted in Arabic? There's a purpose behind everything, like for instance why do you study? It's either to gain knowledge, get a degree, set out your future, or something of some sort. Why do you eat? to absorb the nutritions that your body requires. And so why do you recite your prayers in Arabic? Because Allah (swt) ASKED YOU TO. A true mo'min would do anything that the Creator asks them to do, without any questions or doubts.

I remember a story of one of the Infallible Imams (as). One of the Imams asked their companions to walk into a fire (I'm not sure of what it was, an oven, fireplace, or whatever, point is it had fire in it). The companion did so without any question. A while later, he walked out without a scratch on him. The Imam (as) was testing his companions' obedience and he was showing US, his "followers" the importance of obedience.

One last thing, I can't tell you to not worry about others because I myself find that morally wrong. However, I can say: don't worry about anything that Allah (swt) has made obligatory upon us. He (swt) knows best, does he not?

And I have to completely agree with lotfilms on this one.

I totally agree with you Fatima And Lotfilms ... And I won't male a big deal anymore so sorry for annoying you ... Just last last question to Fatimazahra .. Where did Allah say you have to pray in Arabic ? From my knowledge , there's no Hadith which tells you that ... Neither the Quran says that .. So what makes you say this ?

W Salam

^ I'm not sure of whether there is or isn't a hadith relating to this topic, but there ought to be some sort of evidence. I personally trust the maraji' as I'm 100% sure they do not make fatwas without researching the issue. Nontheless I will try to research it myself and post anything I come across inshaAllah.

Arabic did not exist at the time of Adam (as) through to Isa (as),

so even if you are asserting that the Prophets (as) spoke all the

languages of people of their time,

How did they speak a language that didn't exist?

(And a derrivitave of their own)

^ Brother you missunderstood what I said :)

I was replying to what meisam said:

I was implying that whatever language the message was revealed to them in, they would still not have to learn that language as they already speak all of the existing languages.

Make sense? :)

Many of the world religions have a liturgical (or sacred) language in their worship. The classic example is Hebrew for Judaism while for many years Latin was the language for Roman Catholicism. Below is a partial listing of some of the common sacred languages.

• Greek in the Greek Orthodox Church

• Church Slavonic in several Eastern Orthodox Churches

• Ancient Georgian in the Georgian Orthodox Church

• Classical Armenian in the Armenian Apostolic Church

• Coptic in Coptic Christianity

• Syriac in Syriac Christianity.

• Arabic in Islam

More information on sacred languages can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_language

P. S. By the way the sacred language of internet discussion forums is English.

Kind Regards,

Farside 21.gif