Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Rohani

In Lebanon, Top Shia Cleric Passed Away

Rate this topic

(salam)

Thank you to the Mods for requesting refrain.

Whenever we quarrel, it truly delights the enemies of Islam, especially if the focus of loathing is someone who is on the actual, not virtual, front line both inner and outer.

Discordant views among shias is nothing new. Disagreements have often flared between competing schools e.g. Najaf vs Qom, the logical vs the irfani, the usooli vs akhbari, pro-wali-faqih vs anti-wali-faqih, between mujtahids using different methodologies, etc.

Imam as-Sadiq (as) said, "When Imam Mahdi (as) appears, some people who were thought to be of his family will desert him, and others who were known as sun and moon worshipers will join him." (Mizan al-Hikmah)

I'm not sure if adulation of one's own marja to the point of mauling another (reminds me of my sunni days of mazahib rivalry), or mastery of or addiction to polemics, or patting ourselves in the back for ticking all the boxes of tabarra and love, will guarantee our position with respect to our Imam (as) after the whole salvo of tests are administered to sieve grain from chaff.

With such outpouring of respect from Hizbullah, it makes even the most aloof observer raise eyebrows at persistent attempts to bring down Sayyed Fadlullah, with a persistence not dissimilar to Hasbara web warriors and the damage wrought upon Iranian youth last year.

Salams.

Innalillahi Wa Inna Ilayhee Rajioon

I know there are differences in views regarding the Sayyed, but he is now dead and we should only remember the good that he has done. May Allah grant him a good place in Jannah.

(salam)

This all happened so fast :(

Inna lillah wa inna 'alayhi raji'un. May Allah grant him His mercy, forgiveness, and paradise. May he join his grandfather (pbuh), his father (as) and mother (as) in jannah. O Allah, please continue to send us an abundance of righteous scholars like Fadlullah and others. For all those who differed in opinion, including myself, keep in mind that this man dedicated his life to Islam, and was a pious teacher and follower of the school of the Prophet (pbuh) and his Ahl al-Bayt (as).

Everyone please read al-Fatiha

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

الحمد لله رب العالمين

الرحمن الرحيم

مالك يوم الدين

إياك نعبد و إياك نستعين

اهدنا الصرط المستقيم

صرط الذين أنعمت عليهم غير المغضوب عليهم و لا الضالين

Edited by Qa'im

(salam)(bismillah)

YA Allah! Put the Syed in a respectable position

YA Allah! forgive the Syed for his acts on Fatima (as)

YA Allah! Put him amongest the muttaqeen

YA Allah! please forgive his sins

YA Allah! please go easy on him in the barzakh

YA Allah! please tell munkar and nikar not to torment him

YA Allah! put him amongst the Shaheeds

YA Allah! put him with those he loves

YA Allah! allow him to enter Your garden with a pleased heart

YA Allah! don't allow him to feel the heat of Jahanam

YA Allah! put him amongst the shia on the Day

YA Allah! be pleased with him as he is pleased with you

YA Allah! don't put him amongst the mushriks

YA Allah! don't put him amongst the wrong-doers

YA Allah! it is only You who can furfill our requests

O PEOPLE! forgive the Syed if he caused you any harm

HEZBI Allah WA NAMAL WAKEEL

(wasalam)

Edited by haidar al karrar

Inna lillahi wa ina alahi rajioun

May he be granted paradise inshallah, he was truly a beacon of light and truth, always courageous and steadfast in his deen. He was not afraid to speak out and create dialogue, he stood for the Islamic ummah when others wanted him to remain silent and keep trying to shut him down. Even after his death they want to fight him, not asking ourselves 'what good have we done for the ummah?' 'what knowledge did we aquire?'... not even close to the legacy this man humbly leaves behind.

Please recite Al- fatiha and surat yaseen for his the Sayyid's departed soul and all of the marhumeen and momineen who have passed on.

What a sad and devastating day!

One of our most learned scholars has passed away. He truly was someone special. He replied to every email with long respected answers. When I went to one of his speeches when I was in Lebanon I learnt more than at any other lecture.

His enemies can smile now, but know that there will be a day when all will be judged. For his followers and his defenders I feel your pain, and all we can do is to pray for the soul of this man, but to be honest I question whether he even needs our prayers.

Sallam

Inna lillahi wa inna lilayhi rajeoon ...

Some interesting things people have to say about the Ayatullah.

As a Saudi Sunni, regarded by extremist Shi'as as Wahabi, I mourn the loss of Fadlallah. He was a rare moderate voice among Shia scholars who was always sceptical about the role of Iran's Ayatollahs in Lebanon and the whole Middle East. He's a big loss to Shias in Lebanon and a bigger loss to Shia-Sunni relations.

Saleh Alamer, Saudi Arabia

Fadlallah stands out as a distinct figure among Islamic clerics for not abandoning either jurisprudence or autonomy from official political structures. His repeated criticism of unscientific and irrational attachments to religious doctrines (observing Ramadan and self-flagellation for instance), and his progressive interventions in support of undermining some of the oppressive conditions of Muslim and Arab women today, both speak to the sharp contrast between him and the reactionary clerics of the Gulf and Egypt who try to lock Islam down as something frozen and mute.

Sami, New York, US

In reality he was one of the rarest moderate thinkers in the Islamic world (even if he was a Shia one). His calls for peace between religions and different branches of religions are well known. I remember a speech he gave on radio, where he said that anyone has the right to refuse the idea of God! That was the maximum of liberty given by any religious thinker I had heard!

Kassar, Geneva, Switzerland

I'm not Muslim but I feel sad for his passing away. Why? Well, to me he was a man with clear ideas and, while he may have been a little bit 'extreme' in some of his views, he was not a Taleban. He understood the role of women in society and, in all, he was a good person.

Martín Alejandro Carmona Selva, Barcelona, Spain

How can one not be mourning the death of an ayatollah, who was a social moderate and a progressive regarding the role of women in Islam? As is their habit, instead of embracing this cleric, the US demonised him because he was critical of their Middle East policy, when it is obvious that very few people outside the US and Israel disagreed with him on that point.

Peter Brebach, Colorado Springs, US

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/10504284.stm

Edited by Marbles

(salam)

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful

"To Allah we belong, and to Him we shall return"

Sayyed.jpg

{"And among men is he who sells himself to seek the pleasure of Allah; and Allah is Affectionate to the servants." (02:207).

"If a 'alim dies, there will be a rift in Islam that nothing, whatsoever, could fill." At a time we are in most need for him, this great man has died, leaving in the hearts of those who love him a grief that has incorporated all the tragedies of history. The leader, father, Religious Authority, renovator, guide and human being has left us. He left with the prayers and the remembrance of Allah on his lips and the nation's causes in his heart. Finally, his heart has stopped after 75 years that were spent in the struggle for the cause of Allah, as well as in jurisprudence, renewal, opening up on and committing to the cause of the nation and confronting all the powers of arrogance and tyranny… He left, after a lifetime of embracing the cause of Islam, as a thought a movement, a methodology and a commitment in all the fields of life. He left saying, as he has frequently expressed: "These are my only wishes. I have never had any personal wishes. I lived all my life and strived to be a servant of Allah, His Messenger (p.) and his Household (a.s.), as well as Islam and Muslims." His most essential advice for the Muslims before his demise was to preserve Islam the Islamic nation and its unity, for he believed that the arrogance would not be defeated unless the Muslim unite and support one another. He was, with his illuminating mind and radiant soul, a reference, a guide and an advisor to all the aware Islamic movements in the Arab and Islamic worlds that were inspired by his thought and methodology. His Islamic integrity and originality lead him to institute a school of dialogue with the other on the basis that truth is the child of dialogue. He opened up on all people and he embodied dialogue in his movement, thought and entire life away from any slogans that lack any realistic content.

http://english.bayynat.org.lb/

---------------

If anyone comes across any statements from other marja's about his death please post them here. his last meeting at his office (that was listed on his website) was with shaiek naiem qassem, and the Iraqi MP, Sheikh Khairallah Al-Basri, and a delegation comprised of religious scholars representing His Eminence, the Religious Authority, Sheikh Nasir Makarem Al-Shirazi, headed by Ayatollah Bani Saad.

Thank you for the condolences Allahumma sali 3la muhammadin wa ali Muhammad

(wasalam)

Edited by AlMuttaqi

A doctor at the Bahman hospital where he was admitted on Friday said he was still conscious on arrival. The doctor said that when a nurse asked the ailing cleric what he needed, he replied: "For the Zionist entity to cease to exist".

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=60876

Even during the last days of life, he (ra) was thinking only about fighting against injustice. May his soul rest in peace.

Some interesting things people have to say about the Ayatullah.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/10504284.stm

Wow, some people are creative.

As a Saudi Sunni, regarded by extremist Shi'as as Wahabi, I mourn the loss of Fadlallah. He was a rare moderate voice among Shia scholars who was always sceptical about the role of Iran's Ayatollahs in Lebanon and the whole Middle East. He's a big loss to Shias in Lebanon and a bigger loss to Shia-Sunni relations.

Saleh Alamer, Saudi Arabia

A "rare moderate voice among Shia scholars?" It is great to see someone from Saudi Arabia preach others about moderation in religious pursuits.

In reality he was one of the rarest moderate thinkers in the Islamic world (even if he was a Shia one). His calls for peace between religions and different branches of religions are well known. I remember a speech he gave on radio, where he said that anyone has the right to refuse the idea of God! That was the maximum of liberty given by any religious thinker I had heard!

Kassar, Geneva, Switzerland

First of all, what the hell is that supposed to mean? ("even if he was a Shia one")?

Secondly, isn't there a consensus that Islam gives people the right to refuse the idea of God so long as they are peaceful towards Muslims? If I remember correctly, there is an ayah that explicitly mentions this.

All those people who made comments can take their condolences and put it [somewhere]. Sayyed Fadlullah doesn't need them to patronize him.

My condolences to his family and followers, and may God have mercy upon his soul.

This is, indeed, a sad day.

Indeed it is. We lost a strong pillar we never appreciated as we should have while he was here.

(salam)

The full version of what i posted last time i posted in here.

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful

"To Allah we belong, and to Him we shall return" "And among men is he who sells himself to seek the pleasure of Allah; and Allah is Affectionate to the servants." (02:207).

"If a 'alim dies, there will be a rift in Islam that nothing, whatsoever, could fill."

At a time we are in most need for him, this great man has died, leaving in the hearts of those who love him a grief that has incorporated all the tragedies of history.

The leader, father, Religious Authority, renovator, guide and human being has left us.

He left with the prayers and the remembrance of Allah on his lips and the nation's causes in his heart.

Finally, his heart has stopped after 75 years that were spent in the struggle for the cause of Allah, as well as in jurisprudence, renewal, opening up on and committing to the cause of the nation and confronting all the powers of arrogance and tyranny…

He left, after a lifetime of embracing the cause of Islam, as a thought a movement, a methodology and a commitment in all the fields of life. He left saying, as he has frequently expressed: "These are my only wishes. I have never had any personal wishes. I lived all my life and strived to be a servant of Allah, His Messenger (p.) and his Household (a.s.), as well as Islam and Muslims."

His most essential advice for the Muslims before his demise was to preserve Islam the Islamic nation and its unity, for he believed that the arrogance would not be defeated unless the Muslim unite and support one another.

He was, with his illuminating mind and radiant soul, a reference, a guide and an advisor to all the aware Islamic movements in the Arab and Islamic worlds that were inspired by his thought and methodology.

His Islamic integrity and originality lead him to institute a school of dialogue with the other on the basis that truth is the child of dialogue.

He opened up on all people and he embodied dialogue in his movement, thought and entire life away from any slogans that lack any realistic content.

He experienced Islam in complete awareness of the responsibility that ought to be shouldered and the line of justice that ought to be followed. He was the mastermind who launched the resistance movements, which inspired from his thought the spirit of confrontation, opposition and steadfastness and were able to achieve big accomplishments and victories in Lebanon and Palestine and any position of Jihad [struggle]…

His main concerns and top priorities were always the big issues of the Arabs and Muslims, knowing that Palestine was his biggest concern since his early age and until his last breath, for he has always said: "I shall not rest until the Zionist entity falls."

His Eminence was a distinguished mark in the movement of the religious authority institution towards being concerned with the nation's pains and ambitions… Actually, this institution guided the people to the light away from backwardness, and shouldered the responsibility, side by side with the people, of building the future and confronted all forms of exaggeration, myth, and Takfir, guided by the path of the Messenger of Allah (p.) and his pure Household (a.s.).

Armed with piety and righteousness, Sayyed Fadlullah stood against the strifes amongst Muslims, for he rejected that they undermine their existence as a result of narrow sectarian fanatic acts. He also called on the nation's aware religious scholars and people to fear Allah when dealing with issues pertaining to people's lives, considering that whosoever knits seditions amongst Muslims aiming to rip apart the unity of Muslims and their word is a traitor to Allah and His Messenger, even if he fasts and prays…

He always strived to make sure that the relations between Muslims and Christians be based on "common terms" and understanding over the mutual issues, and he called for developing the relations between them on the basis of moral and humanitarian conceptions that take part in elevating man's status at all levels, and the value of justice in the face of all forms of oppression.

Actually, he adopted the Quran as a basis for his activist and missionary methodology and jurisprudential and activist movement, for he regarded the Quran as the book of life that could only be really understood by the activist and innovative people…

The Sayyed was known for his modesty, humanitarianism, and supreme missionary morals. His heart encompassed those who loved him and those who did not love him as well, and he used to advise all people to: "Love each other, for love is what authenticates and enables one to be creative and productive… Join us in love away from personal, regional, partisan and sectarian considerations… Let us all meet and gather under Allah's shadow instead of disagreeing in His name…" This can only mean that his pure heart held no grudges or spites towards anyone, for it is he who always repeated: "Life cannot bear spite, for spite is death and love is life…"

Moreover, he believed in the role of the institutions which he considered to be the primary and most essential civilized pillar for the rise of every nation and society… Thus, he established minarets and buildings for knowledge and care, which represented a sanctuary and shelter for the orphan and the needy, and an oasis of ambitions and high hopes for the physically-disabled, and a lighthouse for the learned towards the wide and open horizons, and a haven of security and safety for the sick and the elderly…

O Sayyed, you true master! Your house was and will remain the destination of the seekers of knowledge and whosoever is in need, for the call of "love" towards people, all the people, was your everlasting call.

The poor and the downtrodden were the closest to your heart, and you saw in the youth an aspiring hope, provided that they arm themselves with culture and knowledge…

The heart that filled the entire world with activist Islam, and missionary awareness and humanity that endlessly poured love and good until the last breath… this heart has rested in peace…

O Dear Sayyed, your pure body has rested whilst aspiring to achieve all hopes and ambitions at the level of constructing the present and future of the nation…

You left us having undermined all the conspiracies, threats, distortion campaigns and assassination attempts, be they physical or moral… you left after you surpassed all that and preserved the all-purity of your mind, heart and soul…

O Abu Ali, you left, yet your blessed name will remain curved in the conscience, heart and mind of the nation. O Sayyed, you left, yet you will remain present and vibrant by your thought and methodology in the life of our present and the future generations…

The Sayyed's body has gone, but his soul thought and line will stay with us. The nation whom he loved and made every effort to serve, will continue the march of awareness that he has set out its line throughout his life.

Dear brothers! As we offer our condolences to the entire nation upon the death of this great academic and religious scholar and this great missionary pioneer and struggler. We vow and promise Allah, and we vow and promise you, your Eminence, that we shall proceed with the march that you established its foundations and that we will execute your will that calls us to defend the nation, uphold its unity and maintain the humanitarianism of the Message.

"O soul that art at rest!Return to your Lord, well-pleased (with him), well-pleasing (Him),so enter among My servants,and enter into My garden." (89-27:30).

04/07/2010 A.D 22/07/1431 H

http://english.bayyn...us_04072010.htm

(wasalam)

Edited by AlMuttaqi

ÇäøÇ ááÀ æ ÇäøÇ ÇáیÀ ÑÇÌÚæä

May Allah give Sayyid Fadhallah jannatul firdows and may He (swt) have mercy on the one who stood up for the poor, spoke the truth, and enlightened so many of us to the path of Ahlul bayt.

(bismillah)

(salam)

Inna lillah wa inna ilayhi raji3oon (to Allah we belong and to Him is our return) [2:156]

The passing of our great leader Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah (qas) is a great loss to Lebanon and to the Islamic world. Words cannot describe the effect that Sayyed Fadlallah had on Muslims both in Lebanon and around the world, he truly was a revolution. I hope we as Muslims can hold on to his legacy, the legacy of Tawheed and Worship of Allah (swt) , the legacy of Piety and Righteousness, the legacy of Knowledge, the legacy of Giving........... the legacy of Rasoulallah (pbuh) and Ahul Bayt (as).