Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Hijama

Rate this topic

Ahmad.G

• Advanced Member

(salam)(bismillah)

For those who don't already know, Hijama is the name in Arab traditional medicine for wet cupping, where blood is drawn by vacuum from a small skin incision for therapeutic purposes. Hijama is generally performed by Muslims. Hijama is normally performed on the head, but can be performed anywhere on the body, often at the site of an ache or pain in order to ease or alleviate it. I have heard of people getting Hijama not because they had any problems, but simply to renew their blood. Has anyone here ever gotten this treatment? My question is, is there a certain age limit? I am 18 right now, It's not like I'm going to do Hijama, just asking out of curiosity. Just want peoples thoughts and opinions on when, where, what age would be good to get this done.

Here is a video I found for those curious as to what it looks like when done on the head :D

(wasalam)

• Banned

yeah "dirty blood" is about right. the stuff that comes out in the little jars is almost black. its nasty.

what i was told was that in the body there are loads of cell fragments floating about (called platelets), and wherever they settle, thats where you get some form of illness or pain or whatever, but they tend to collect near the top of the spine area. doing cupping somehow draws out the platelets without you losing loads of blood, so reducing the chance of you getting disease and/ or curing whatever you got.

but like i said, thats the THEORY. all i know is it worked on me.

There's a Husseiniyya in London where they're doing hijama and if I'm not wrong it's on the 26th and it's only for men. I've heard that hijama takes away the dirty blood lol and that it's very good for your health.

Do you mean it's only for men in the Husseiniyya you're talking about or in general ? Coz women do it as well... And it can only be done in the days after the 15th of each Lunar month till the end of the month, excluding Fridays, in which it is Haraam...

yeah "dirty blood" is about right. the stuff that comes out in the little jars is almost black. its nasty.

what i was told was that in the body there are loads of cell fragments floating about (called platelets), and wherever they settle, thats where you get some form of illness or pain or whatever, but they tend to collect near the top of the spine area. doing cupping somehow draws out the platelets without you losing loads of blood, so reducing the chance of you getting disease and/ or curing whatever you got.

but like i said, thats the THEORY. all i know is it worked on me.

Worked for me as well... The good thing about it is that it's practicaly painless... Just feels like getting scratched by a baby kitten...

(salam)

i do it every 1-2 months this website is dedicated to it very informative. :)

health means wealth website

Cool website...

• Banned

Worked for me as well... The good thing about it is that it's practicaly painless... Just feels like getting scratched by a baby kitten...

oh yeah absolutely. less painful than an injection. if youve ever done zanjeer you will KNOW pain, this is nothing :)

• Advanced Member
Do you mean it's only for men in the Husseiniyya you're talking about or in general ? Coz women do it as well... And it can only be done in the days after the 15th of each Lunar month till the end of the month, excluding Fridays, in which it is Haraam...

They don't do this all the time and it's only men that are doing this in the Husseiniyya, I know women can do it as well but I don't know why they're not doing it... maybe they couldn't find a professional women available to do it.

Edited by Hawraa29

They don't do this all the time and it's only men that are doing this in the Husseiniyya, I know women can do it as well but I don't know why they're not doing it... maybe they couldn't find a professional women available to do it.

Oh I see... Well yeah maybe it's because this sort of thing needs people who know how to do it, and they're not always available in London... I'm kind of glad that back in Lebanon, there are people available all the time for this, because I have some Hadeeths that state the benefit of the days someone does it... Like for example, on the 15th of a Lunar month, it's really good for the eyes, on the 16th, strengthens the heart, on the 17th, for the digestive system, on the 18th, for more energy... another day for migraines... etc... till the 30th...

So we can get to choose which day we want to do it if we want to "boost" something specific in our bodies, even though it's generally good for the entire body as a whole...

• Advanced Member

(salam)

i do it every 1-2 months this website is dedicated to it very informative. :)

health means wealth website

Thanks for the interesting site, and thank you everyone for your input.

... And it can only be done in the days after the 15th of each Lunar month till the end of the month, excluding Fridays, in which it is Haraam...

So doing it before before the 15th of each lunar month is haraam? Why is that so? can you provide sources on this please?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know places where this can be done in the UK? I've been looking everywhere and can't find anything... I suffer horrific migraines and vomiting from time to time and no remedy so far has worked. I'd like to see if it helps.

http://www.zhijama.co.uk/80195/contact.php

• 3 months later...
  • Basic Members

Asslam o Alaikum Warahmatullahi Barkatu

Hijama or Cupping therapy is a Beautiful Sunnah of our Holy prophet which is vanishing very quickly

According to Haddes this method of treatment has remedy for variety of diseases including hear diseases, kidney diseases, pain in different parts of body

It is practised in Arab countries but no but very few people practise this in India and Pakistan.

The Messenger Muhammad PBUH said, "Indeed the best of remedies you have is Hijamah (Cupping)" [saheeh al-Bukhaaree (5371)]. Messenger Muhammad PBUH also said that on the night of Israa (his ascension to the heavens) he did not pass by an angel except that it said to him, "Oh Muhammad PBUH, order your Ummah (nation) with Hijamah (Cupping)."[saheeh Sunan Tirmidhee (3479)]. This shows the importance and greatness of this Sunnah.

For spreading information about this sunnah we have created a blog for our Muslim brothers and sisters

On our blog we have placved different books and articles about alhijamah

Link of our blog is

http://hijamacupping.wordpress.com/

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

Brother Abu Abdullaah has made a lengthy post on my blog giving many authentic aHaadeeth from the Shee`ah books on the greatness of Hijaamah, and the permissiblity to do it in different situations. Click here: http://revivingalislaam.blogspot.com/2010/09/al-hijaamah-cuppingbloodletting.html

(salam)

• Advanced Member

Ahh, I've always want to do Hijama on the sides the back of my neck where I feel so much tension and pain almost ALL the time but I'm holding back because a relative told me that the scars stay forever AND because I don't know any woman expert who does Hijama for women.

• Advanced Member

Ahh, I've always want to do Hijama on the sides the back of my neck where I feel so much tension and pain almost ALL the time but I'm holding back because a relative told me that the scars stay forever AND because I don't know any woman expert who does Hijama for women.

I only go to modern centres to do hijama. They are clean and managed by qualified and trained pro.

They "cut" the skin using a pen-like instrument which produces consistently small BUT adequately deep cuts. I never had any scars in my body. I have also done it on my knees, above my eyes, and my arm (to alleviate my tennis elbow) but no noticeable scars.

The old fashion way of course will leave scars. Firstly the practitioner places an empty cup and does a suction to lift the skin up. Then he uses a shaving blade (yup a blade!) to make small cuts. I noticed that these cuts are longer than using a modern instrument because the method leaves margin of errors in the hand of the practitioner.

At the centre I go to there are many women who frequent the place. Many want to improve their skin. Together with strict diets, many women swear their acne and face blemishes dissapear after a few visits. If done on small areas they use a very small cup sucked by a machine.

I had the same kinds of pains and tensions which started from around the time I was 16, maybe because I was a bit fat... But not so long ago, I did Hijama, & I felt those pains disappearing instantly, the scars didn't last for more than a month, kinda like small cat scratches... Only the first few days the spots look hideous due to the suction, it was like a big bruise with mini scratch wounds in it...

So don't worry, because it's worth it... That's if you go to someone who know what they're doing of course, not a butcher... But trust me, you'll not even need or ask for a massage for months.

• Advanced Member

I had the same kinds of pains and tensions which ]started from around the time I was 16, maybe because I was a bit fat... But not so long ago, I did Hijama, & I felt those pains disappearing instantly, the scars didn't last for more than a month, kinda like small cat scratches... Only the first few days the spots look hideous due to the suction, it was like a big bruise with mini scratch wounds in it...

So don't worry, because it's worth it... That's if you go to someone who know what they're doing of course, not a butcher... But trust me, you'll not even need or ask for a massage for months.

I get this neck pain when I don't sleep well, which is almost every night. I also get it from mental exhaustion-too much things going in my head. If it's true that Hijama will relief me from being a massage obsessed then I should seriously look for a Hijama expert soon. Thanks for letting me know it really works.

I only go to modern centres to do hijama. They are clean and managed by qualified and trained pro.

They "cut" the skin using a pen-like instrument which produces consistently small BUT adequately deep cuts. I never had any scars in my body. I have also done it on my knees, above my eyes, and my arm (to alleviate my tennis elbow) but no noticeable scars.

The old fashion way of course will leave scars. Firstly the practitioner places an empty cup and does a suction to lift the skin up. Then he uses a shaving blade (yup a blade!) to make small cuts. I noticed that these cuts are longer than using a modern instrument because the method leaves margin of errors in the hand of the practitioner.

At the centre I go to there are many women who frequent the place. Many want to improve their skin. Together with strict diets, many women swear their acne and face blemishes dissapear after a few visits. If done on small areas they use a very small cup sucked by a machine.

I envy you for getting the opportunity to get rid of those pains by doing Hijama. I have always been very interested in doing it, inshallah if I find a female expert I'll do it for sure...If I wasn't paranoid about the scars I would definitely do above my eyes too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Hijama looks alot like Bloodletting,which was practised by physicians during medieval Europe. I do hope that there is a study out there that proves Hijama's effectiveness because William Harvey disproved Bloodletting by introducing the scientific method (i.e using a control and comparing the results with the control).

• Advanced Member

Hijama looks alot like Bloodletting,which was practised by physicians during medieval Europe. I do hope that there is a study out there that proves Hijama's effectiveness because William Harvey disproved Bloodletting by introducing the scientific method (i.e using a control and comparing the results with the control).

Dnt think it would matter with age but then again your 18 so that seems old enough? I've heard its abit uncomfortable but it works wonders in the end.

:)

Salam

• Advanced Member

Dnt think it would matter with age but then again your 18 so that seems old enough? I've heard its abit uncomfortable but it works wonders in the end.

:)

Salam

I'm trying to find a scientific paper on this. I tend to take anecdotal evidence not seriously since they are not scientific observations and they do not provide proof.

P.S: what does my age have to do with anything.

• Advanced Member

I'm trying to find a scientific paper on this. I tend to take anecdotal evidence not seriously since they are not scientific observations and they do not provide proof.

Sorry brother, I must've accidently replied to you instead of the brother who asked the question.

Wsalam

• 4 weeks later...

(salam)

To those who have done it before - how long does it take for the marks to disappear? And was it expensive?

wasalaam

i had mine done almost a year ago and the marks are still there.

im considering leeches now, just need to find a clean and reliable place.

I remember going through a book with ahadith about hijama, and apparently some traditions advice a gap between cupping, depending on age.

I spoke to someone in the middle east about hijamat, and they recommended getting it done during spring, apparently that is the best time for it b/c of the weather and its affect on our body/blood (temperature and what-not_

• Advanced Member

(salam)(bismillah)

For those who don't already know, Hijama is the name in Arab traditional medicine for wet cupping, where blood is drawn by vacuum from a small skin incision for therapeutic purposes. Hijama is generally performed by Muslims. Hijama is normally performed on the head, but can be performed anywhere on the body, often at the site of an ache or pain in order to ease or alleviate it. I have heard of people getting Hijama not because they had any problems, but simply to renew their blood. Has anyone here ever gotten this treatment? My question is, is there a certain age limit? I am 18 right now, It's not like I'm going to do Hijama, just asking out of curiosity. Just want peoples thoughts and opinions on when, where, what age would be good to get this done.

Here is a video I found for those curious as to what it looks like when done on the head :D

(wasalam)

imam reza a.s said: hajama can be done at intervals of your age. If u are 20 then once in 20 days, if 30 then once in 30 days.

It is not compulsory though; like if u have fever u can do it again in a few days if it doesn't subside as imam musa maxim a.s used to do that way.

The best time to do hajama according to imam reza a.s is 13, 14, or 15th of moon calender and one should not have intercourse from one day before hajama.

Anyway sex is not encouraged on 13, 14, and 15 as saitan cones out to search for sons and daughters.

Ya Ali Madad