Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
bousa

Shiite And Sunni Marriage

Rate this topic

Assalamu Alaikum brothers and sisters. I want to marry a Shiite man, however I am Sunni. He is Iraqi and follows Al Sistani. And I am Turkish. We both live in America. My main concern is his family not accepting me. All my friends say his family will probably not accept me since I am not his cousin or because I am not Iraqi. I would like to ask you all who have experience with these things to give me some advice...Is there any way we can make it work? We have not talked to his parents yet so I do not know what they will say. But I do know that he talks about me to his mother and says good things about me to her. My family will allow me to marry him but it is his family that concerns me. Have any of you had the same problem?

First thank Allah swa that you are in America where things like that only matter if you choose to make them matter. I am assuming you are both adults, and you love each other. If his parents reject you then I wouldn't waste a bit of sleep over them. You are Muslim. Do you read the posts on here? How many Muslim men marry Christians and want Muta's and all that rubbish. If you have a good man, forget the Sunni Shiite stuff and just love your man, and take care of him. His family will either come around or they won't.

Sister, Iraqis are generally not phased at all about Shi'ite and Sunni mixed marriages because it is very common in their society. With that said, cultural barriers still exist. However, these things should not exist and you should not let these things impede what would otherwise be a successful marriage, insha Allah.

Sister, Iraqis are generally not phased at all about Shi'ite and Sunni mixed marriages because it is very common in their society. With that said, cultural barriers still exist. However, these things should not exist and you should not let these things impede what would otherwise be a successful marriage, insha Allah.

True, mixed marriages are common in our society but for most Shia families its not accepted. Especially now. From what I've seen I know that most of our families dont accept this kind of marriage.

Speaking from what I've seen I think its harder to convince his father than his mother. He should talk to them first and see how they think about this.

It will be a hard journey for you sister, not just now but also after having childeren etc. Its hard but not impossible. Good luck!